The Ashbringer and Herald of the Titans

90 Draenei Paladin
I’ve been debating a post like this for quite awhile, and with some maintenance today I figured I might as well throw out a couple things I’ve had on the brain.

1. I know that a lot of people go to great lengths for achievements. I myself have a few achievements, nothing terribly extraordinary, but I also have a lot of toons. When it comes to people complaining about making achievements easier and blah blah blah, there is a legitimate idea behind that and people willing to do the work shouldn’t have to feel jipped when months later an achievement is made easier. Alternatively, there’s a lot of people that play this game, much more than the people who will read my little thread and so many want achievements but maybe they don’t have the time and dedication that others do.

Example: The Insane title. My word has there been an outcry about this. Which is fair, all of you with the title have put in an amazing amount of work. I don’t have that kind of time or money to blow in a short period of time however. So by me doing the Insane over the course of several years does it make less admirable than your title? Well, probably, but I’ll still do it. By then you’ll have some other cool title that makes you special and Insane will be forgotten.

Example 2: Alright here’s another title. Herald of the Titans. Man that title just rocks my socks even thinking about it. This title as well as several others are going away, we know this, and blizz has stated a fair reason for getting rid of them. As we level these achievements will be trivialized by gear level and our overall power level. But here’s a question, if I pay 15 bucks a month to play this game, why can’t I take my time on an achievement like that? I play on a relatively medium-low population server, Ravenholdt. And it’s a fun realm, I enjoy it, but we are not only vastly outnumbered Horde to Alliance, we lose more every single day. And as such, there’s no one who can do something like Herald of the Titans with me. Sure I have my whole set, and I have a lock and holy pally who do too, but we can’t get anyone else. I’m going to miss the title I’ve enjoyed the most this expansion due to population.

Plea: I would ask that these titles aren’t removed, which I doubt a blue will happen to come by this post but I really do feel that while the achievement may seem trivialized, we can’t all be on the cutting edge. Those who were I applaud, when I see a Black Proto or see a Herald of the Titans out there I just smile and know that someone did a great job. But there’s a ton of good players out there who can’t do this on our home servers, or be lucky enough to be in a hardcore raiding guild that will get these achievements. Sure there’s a solution, go out and server transfer, then find someone to take me through it, but I see a flaw. WoW is a social game, we play to be with friends and we play to enjoy the time we play. If I’m willing and able to get my friends to come with me into Ulduar at 85 to get a full set of 226 gear and fight Algalon, I feel we are worthy. Again there are always more titles, that people will continue to wear as they do more and more truly epic things, but not all of us are epic, and not all of us have the time right away. Those of us who have it in the beginning get to be the first ones with it and can always say, “Yeah, I was there when it was content.”

TLDR: QQ

Edit-Space
Edited by Eohnavi on 11/16/2010 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I had a few more things to say but I shall leave for another day. Actually I lied, one more.

2. I’m going to get a lot of flak for this I’m sure, but I would like to see the idea Corrupter Ashbringer bearing a feat, or a title, or becoming legendary. My reasoning is not because I have one I have to have more this amazing sword isn’t enough but when I look at Warcraft weapons of lore, this one has been oh so present throughout our journey. It’s everywhere, in quests and whispers, thoughts in little dark rooms and yet, it’s not legendary. Blizzard is not happy with giving players the sword, but unfortunately, players have the sword, and it is a glorious one. I’ve been around Azeroth a decent amount and I can’t help but notice that I never hear of Thunderfury, Sulfuras, the Twin Blades, Thori’dal, Val’anyr, Shadowmourne, or too much even of Atiesh. (Which I think Atiesh would also qualify for a title) But I do hear of the Ashbringer, and it has been with us leveling through Wrath and starting our DK’s and even at the fall of Arthas himself. A blade that has truly proven it’s worth.

Alright so many of you will quote this and say, “That was the Cleansed Ashbringer, ole chap, not the corrupted, dreadfully sorry about this ruckus, I dare say it could happen to anyone.” But it’s the same blade at heart, and seeing anyone with it immediately evokes a feeling within us. Sometimes though that’s a bowel movement so don’t get too distracted by it.

I think I’m done for now, thanks for listening all, I’d love to hear more thoughts on the this.

TLDR: I haz Ashbringer, give me title and feat nao plox.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Don't assume I didn't work my ass trying for it at 60.

And I'm sorry we can't all be in high ranked guilds mate.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm in the top guild for my faction and was the only one interested. No joke.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
/sigh

All I can do is speak my case mate.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
The point of herald is that, when using 226 ilvl gear, you are using the bare minimum gear. People have, in the past, whined about whether or not H-LK 10 was killable in full 10 man gear. Well, Algalon10 is, and there's an achievement for it. Doing it in 226 gear at lvl 85 will take absolutely no effort, whereas doing it now will take some semblance of skill.

Also, I hate it when people say The Insane is trivialized because of one god damn rep. It's far from trivial.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The point of herald is that, when using 226 ilvl gear, you are using the bare minimum gear. People have, in the past, whined about whether or not H-LK 10 was killable in full 10 man gear. Well, Algalon10 is, and there's an achievement for it. Doing it in 226 gear at lvl 85 will take absolutely no effort, whereas doing it now will take some semblance of skill.

Also, I hate it when people say The Insane is trivialized because of one god damn rep. It's far from trivial.

This is such a giant ball of contradictions I don't even know where to start. Sure, remove Herald of the Titans because it will be trivialized at level 85. This you can attest to, because you have the achievement. Have you completed the Insane FoS? No. Therefore, you have no idea whether or not it's trivialized.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Have you completed the Insane FoS? No. Therefore, you have no idea whether or not it's trivialized.
Whatever you say, bud.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I was in a pug that got Herald only recently on my first Algalon kill ever.

Whilst I personally believe titles should stay in the game, there is no excuse for not having it.

/shrug
Reply Quote
80 Undead Warlock
I’ve been debating a post like this for quite awhile, and with some maintenance today I figured I might as well throw out a couple things I’ve had on the brain.

1. I know that a lot of people go to great lengths for achievements. I myself have a few achievements, nothing terribly extraordinary, but I also have a lot of toons. When it comes to people complaining about making achievements easier and blah blah blah, there is a legitimate idea behind that and people willing to do the work shouldn’t have to feel jipped when months later an achievement is made easier. Alternatively, there’s a lot of people that play this game, much more than the people who will read my little thread and so many want achievements but maybe they don’t have the time and dedication that others do.

Example: The Insane title. My word has there been an outcry about this. Which is fair, all of you with the title have put in an amazing amount of work. I don’t have that kind of time or money to blow in a short period of time however. So by me doing the Insane over the course of several years does it make less admirable than your title? Well, probably, but I’ll still do it. By then you’ll have some other cool title that makes you special and Insane will be forgotten.

Example 2: Alright here’s another title. Herald of the Titans. Man that title just rocks my socks even thinking about it. This title as well as several others are going away, we know this, and blizz has stated a fair reason for getting rid of them. As we level these achievements will be trivialized by gear level and our overall power level. But here’s a question, if I pay 15 bucks a month to play this game, why can’t I take my time on an achievement like that? I play on a relatively medium-low population server, Ravenholdt. And it’s a fun realm, I enjoy it, but we are not only vastly outnumbered Horde to Alliance, we lose more every single day. And as such, there’s no one who can do something like Herald of the Titans with me. Sure I have my whole set, and I have a lock and holy pally who do too, but we can’t get anyone else. I’m going to miss the title I’ve enjoyed the most this expansion due to population.

Plea: I would ask that these titles aren’t removed, which I doubt a blue will happen to come by this post but I really do feel that while the achievement may seem trivialized, we can’t all be on the cutting edge. Those who were I applaud, when I see a Black Proto or see a Herald of the Titans out there I just smile and know that someone did a great job. But there’s a ton of good players out there who can’t do this on our home servers, or be lucky enough to be in a hardcore raiding guild that will get these achievements. Sure there’s a solution, go out and server transfer, then find someone to take me through it, but I see a flaw. WoW is a social game, we play to be with friends and we play to enjoy the time we play. If I’m willing and able to get my friends to come with me into Ulduar at 85 to get a full set of 226 gear and fight Algalon, I feel we are worthy. Again there are always more titles, that people will continue to wear as they do more and more truly epic things, but not all of us are epic, and not all of us have the time right away. Those of us who have it in the beginning get to be the first ones with it and can always say, “Yeah, I was there when it was content.”

TLDR: QQ

Edit-Space

"The Ashbringer" will never EVER be a title. It has too many Lore implications, just FYI.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
And Blizzard said they'd never have PvE to PvP transfers.

It does have a lot of lore implications, but so does something like having Atiesh. It's definitely my opinion that for the Corrupted Ashbringer to merely be an epic item and/or void of a feat of strength is a downplay to the true merits of the weapon. It is truly a weapon of lore and that's what makes it so legendary.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Get off your RP horse, it ain't happening.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
So OP went back to Naxx after it was trivialized by gear/10+ levels and got a weapon which he now wants to be a Legendary because he plays on a low pop server and can't talk 9 of his friends into doing HotT with him?

JFC dude quit begging for achievements. As a news-flash if you have to beg for something to become a Legendary/FoS make it something that was hard to obtain and not 9-man outdated zerg content.

but on that note i have an Ashbringer and it makes me pretty.
Reply Quote
73 Human Paladin
So you want a title / feat for having a piece of gear from a raid that was irrelevant content 2 years or so before achievements existed, and ceased to exist shortly after achievements came into existence? Kindly STFU

As for herald.
So your server is incapable of fielding a group for this hu?
Well i dont know what to say other then if you care about prestigious titles like that one and think you have the skill to play with people that can actually do it, get your ass off that redneck backwater server and go to one with a top 100 guild and prove yourself worthy of playing with the big boys.

And finally on the idea of not removing Herold.
I fully support this idea......
On the condition that it reads "....and nobody in the group is over lvl 80"

Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Did someone say ... the Ashbringer...?

*stares off into the distance*

Seriously though Eoh, I agree with everything you've said. Why take anything out?? People are going to QQ more if they remove something then if Blizz just left everything in the game.

And random dude knocking on him for being unable to get a group for this on his server...raid with an alliance toon on Ravenholdt and come talk to me, kk? Not every server's worth is measured on the strength of it's raiders alone.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Yeah, for the record no one on Ravenholdt has done this. I hate seeing anything removed from the game, I really do, and I'd like to be able to pull this off sometime. Unfortunately with the time limits in place I probably won't make it but that's the luck of the dice.

I'm also very saddened by the responses of most people in the thread, I respect your opinions guys but did anyone read my posts? This is not some random thrown together QQ, I put an idea out there and defended it with what I perceived as logic and made my case. I know that no one in this thread, save Katz, really agrees with me, and that's fine, but I think you guys could tone it down a bit.

And with the Ashbringer note, I've thought it should be legendary since it was first released, and the fact that I have it only made me think on it further. I know it will never change, I'm aware, but what kind of backwards world would we live in without hope? Just because I couldn't get it until 70 on this toon didn't stop any of my toons from launch day from trying.

Reply Quote
Just because you cant get it now doesn't mean you cant go back at level 85 and kill Algalon for the challenge of it. Just because you wont get the title/achievement doesn't mean you cant do it!

Seriously though, everyone else pays their subscription fees and is subject to the same WoW time constraints as you. Ulduar has been out for over a year and a half now. I realize your dilemma in regards to your server and/or guild, but that is something you chose to live with and you have to learn to live with the consequences.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]