What are priests going to do???

80 Night Elf Hunter
I'll be playing my Priest and enjoying it. :)

Periods of being underpowered (and overpowered) come and go, game balance shifts constantly. I'm not worried.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Play this Paladin. Even if they fix Priest healing output, I don't think I would want to go back.

Putting long CDs on the most fun heals Priests have, isn't fun. Making GH good only after using FH twice isn't fun. Having a 30 second CD that we need to watch, and press, and then trigger with a specific heal in order to maintain competitive healing, isn't fun. Having to sort and watch raidframes by group in order to make use of PoH isn't fun.

I'm all for a good challenge. What I don't like is complexity for complexity's sake. Even if they made Chakra a stance, rebalanced CoH and ProM to remove their CDs, made serendipity proc off of more spells, and made PoH smart, Priests would still be the most complicated healers in the game. Priests have well over 20 heals and other abilities to manage. Having a lot of different heals to play with, and having to decide which one is optimal for the situation is fun. What isn't fun is having to jump through hoops in order to actually use those abilities.

As attached as I am to my Priest, I don't think I can go back with the way they are now. Not after playing my Paladin. This toon performs just as well as my Priest (and much better in PVP) and it does it in a way that doesn't make me want to rip my hair out. Even just something as simple as PotI is a nice quality of life perk that makes Paladin healing more enjoyable. It's the type of thing you never see Priests get. Priests instead get more and more abilities that put more of a load and more stress on the player.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
At the rate Blizzard makes changes these days, rerolling because you feel your class/spec is weak will always be a mistake.

If priests are underperforming, they'll either get a buff or the other classes will be nerfed to compensate.

If you want to reroll, OP, that's fine. But if you're doing it because you don't think priests will be able to perform as well as other classes, that is a big mistake. Blizzard doesn't intend for any classes to be more powerful than any others.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm keeping my priest main and attempting T11 raids on her. If raids are completely undoable because of me, I switch to plan D (Druid) to get us by. I like druids, but the priest playstyle is the most fun to me.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Play this Paladin. Even if they fix Priest healing output, I don't think I would want to go back.

Putting long CDs on the most fun heals Priests have, isn't fun. Making GH good only after using FH twice isn't fun. Having a 30 second CD that we need to watch, and press, and then trigger with a specific heal in order to maintain competitive healing, isn't fun. Having to sort and watch raidframes by group in order to make use of PoH isn't fun.

I'm all for a good challenge. What I don't like is complexity for complexity's sake. Even if they made Chakra a stance, rebalanced CoH and ProM to remove their CDs, made serendipity proc off of more spells, and made PoH smart, Priests would still be the most complicated healers in the game. Priests have well over 20 heals and other abilities to manage. Having a lot of different heals to play with, and having to decide which one is optimal for the situation is fun. What isn't fun is having to jump through hoops in order to actually use those abilities.

As attached as I am to my Priest, I don't think I can go back with the way they are now. Not after playing my Paladin. This toon performs just as well as my Priest (and much better in PVP) and it does it in a way that doesn't make me want to rip my hair out. Even just something as simple as PotI is a nice quality of life perk that makes Paladin healing more enjoyable. It's the type of thing you never see Priests get. Priests instead get more and more abilities that put more of a load and more stress on the player.
I'm sorry you don't like the complexity of a priest. I find it to be a lot of fun, and so do many other people.

The increase in complexity is what allows the class to have specific tools for specific tasks. Choosing the right heal at the right time can be difficult, but it's really rewarding when you pull it off correctly.

If that's not your thing, that's fine. For many of us, that complexity is what draws us to the class.
Reply Quote
If you ask me honestly, its the healer not the class. I mean i litterally can sleep and top heals atm using only circle of healing and prayer of healing did it IN the first ICC I did since 4.0.1 dropped yesterday considering i quit for a month. Generally a good healer is gonna out heal a "Overpowered" healing class in the hands of some scrub who cant even play right. Considering there is more to healing that just spamming one heal and draining all your mana and waisting all the innervates etc its pointless. If i do continue to play in Cata which, I more than likely wont considering in my opinion this game is going to hell in a hand basket my priest is the only choice id ever play besides off tooning an enhancement shaman
Edited by Ankth on 11/16/2010 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
I'm not giving up on this girl, not ever. I love priests, I always come back to them.

I honestly don't feel like they're lacking at the moment, either. I think we all just need to stick it out, we'll be alright.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
I've been playing in Beta on my priest and I'll continue to be playing my priest through Catacylsm. I like the mechanics of priest healing in both holy and discipline. While I wouldn't object too strenuously if Blizzard decided to tweak our numbers somewhat so I could be a little less mana conscious and have healing numbers that are actually superior to what I can currently do in ICC at lvl 80; I think we're going to be fine.

The only reason why I would stop raiding on my priest would be if my guild suddenly had an influx of priests that wanted to heal. While my priest is my favorite, for raid balance purposes I could convince myself that another class/spec is my new favorite. Just not sure what I would do with all of the extra room in my hotkey/macro setup if I wasn't playing a priest.

I agree with Ankth above, it really is the healer/player that makes all the difference. A strong player can compensate for a significant imbalance and Blizzard does get around to fixing those imbalances before too much time passes.

I'm excited for the opportunity for the rest of my guild to join me in raiding Cataclysm. All 5 flavors of healing classes/specs are now mostly interchangeable. Although I would encourage raids to bring a good distribution and rotate assignments so that no one feels like their class has been pigeonholed as the 'raid' or 'tank' or cooldown healer. They can all tank or raid heal and while the mechanics are different a good healer is a good healer regardless of the class/spec.

There is currently an exaggerated perception of imbalance (I suppose that is always the case). The sky has been falling since 2004 and I have yet to feel Atlas's burden on my shoulders.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm sorry you don't like the complexity of a priest. I find it to be a lot of fun, and so do many other people.

The increase in complexity is what allows the class to have specific tools for specific tasks. Choosing the right heal at the right time can be difficult, but it's really rewarding when you pull it off correctly.

If that's not your thing, that's fine. For many of us, that complexity is what draws us to the class.

I said I like having a lot of different heals. What I don't like are mechanics like Chakra, and CDs on our core heals. Those things interfere with what makes Priests fun, which is matching the appropriate heal to the damage.

Complexity is fun when there's some kind of pay off. Making something complex just to be complex is not fun, and I'm fairly certain most people would agree. For example, there's no benefit to having the Chakra talent. Chakra simply allows you to be just as good as the other healers. That's the exact reason they got rid of Tree of Life form.

They somehow managed to get it right with Paladins, and I'm wishing they would give Priests the same treatment. LoD for example is more complex than most other AoE heals. The payoff is you get to use it often and it doesn't consume mana. What's the payoff for Chakra? Priests only get to specialize in one type of healing at a time, and even then they're not any better than the other healers. All the other healers get to specialize in both types of healing all of the time.
Edited by Highbeams on 11/16/2010 5:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest

I said I like having a lot of different heals. What I don't like are mechanics like Chakra, and CDs on our core heals. Those things interfere with what makes Priests fun, which is matching the appropriate heal to the damage.

Complexity is fun when there's some kind of pay off. Making something complex just to be complex is not fun, and I'm fairly certain most people would agree. For example, there's no benefit to having the Chakra talent. Chakra simply allows you to be just as good as the other healers. That's the exact reason they got rid of Tree of Life form.

They somehow managed to get it right with Paladins, and I'm wishing they would give Priests the same treatment. LoD for example is more complex than most other AoE heals. The payoff is you get to use it often and it doesn't consume mana. What's the payoff for Chakra? Priests only get to specialize in one type of healing at a time, and even then they're not any better than the other healers. All the other healers get to specialize in both types of healing all of the time.
I'm not sure that's the intention. I'd have to search around, but I seem to remember reading a blue post saying that they aren't balancing encounters with you having Chakra up in mind. I think they intend the baseline to be roughly equivalent to the others in effectiveness.

Chakra seems to be intended to add something of a cooldown to the Holy healing toolkit. They don't assume you have it up all the time, or they'd make it a passive buff and just be done with it. If baseline priest healing is lower than the other classes, that's another thing entirely.

Basically, I think you're misreading the intention for Chakra. It's not meant to be like the old ToL form at all. If the implementation is off at the moment, that doesn't change the intention. Why would you think Blizzard would be inconsistent on this spell when they've made their intentions for buffs like that clear?

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking more about it, I think I heard them say this at the BlizzCon class panel. Not sure if there's a transcript available anywhere, but I'll have a look.

As for spells having cooldowns: tell me this, if CoH didn't have a cooldown, why would you use anything else? Cooldowns on spells force you to make decisions about when to use them. If you do it wrong, you have to compensate with less effective tools. If you do it right, you get the reward of having done it well, which might save you later in the fight when mana is tight. Same thing with PoM. If it didn't have a cooldown, it wouldn't matter who you cast it on. With a cooldown, it makes this an interesting problem.
Edited by Daedhir on 11/16/2010 5:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
TSP
Still play a priest. I have the tools. It is up to me to make them work.

I'm a bit down about how I perceive Holy as it seems to be in Cataclysm. I'm kind of this way at baseline, so this isn't necessarily a surprise when major changes are underway. However I'll say that I was also down about priests during the WotLK beta and I feel that my concerns in retrospect now appear valid.

Regardless, I did find it interesting that in a very small poll on MMO-Champion (only 35 respondents ... make of it what you will) which asked players what class they would first take to 85, the #1 response (over 22% of the total) was priest. Only 12% of respondents said they would first level a paladin. The #2 response was druid, and in last place at less than 3% of responses was shaman.

It was only a very small poll, so the conclusions are likely not valid ... but ... still, the #1 response was priest.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
I am a Priest at heart, I will continue to be a Priest until I no longer find it as satisfying. If I find it less satisfying in Cataclysm, I'll probably switch to an alt so I can continue to play with friends.

I don't care whether the general player base things Priests are underpowered. I don't care what another Priest's clearly defined spec is (mine was put together in a very half assed way and I know it, but at this point in Wrath I simply don't care, it hasn't made a difference).

So long as I'm enjoying myself on my Priest, I'm happy with the state of Priests.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If you read the official World of Warcraft guide book from Classic, it literally says something like 'Priests are the superior healer in terms of strength and mana efficiency'... or something similarly ridiculously unbalanced and awesome sounding. And we are still the only healer with two healing specs. I don't think they'll ever leave us up a creek with no paddle. And at the end of the day, a smart healer still outplays a better spec of healer 97.8% of the time... even if it's due to just healing faster, or smarter, even if your heals are weaker. I don't mind being the underdog for a while, I'm not playing priest in the first place because it makes me feel OP - I do it because I like the class & mechanics :)

Blizzard has ruled that invalid. Anything in the original wow handbook is obsolete.

Priest have the tools to be more powerful than any other healer in Cata, one thing that is plaguing the class right now is mana regen. Blizzard has noted that priest are were they should be (in concerns with mana regen) but i don't feel other classes are in the same category. Once other classes are more inline with priest then we will see the class be truly powerful.

If you think priest are weak, count how many heals you have.

So, addition by subtraction? We'll feel relatively more powerful when everyone else is weakened.

I'll still be a priest, but we do need help.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Is it november 08? /checks calendar

I'd wait until we're all actually 85 before running around with our heads cut off.

Yes it is, lol. I think you meant Dec. 7th ;)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

I'm a bit down about how I perceive Holy as it seems to be in Cataclysm. I'm kind of this way at baseline, so this isn't necessarily a surprise when major changes are underway. However I'll say that I was also down about priests during the WotLK beta and I feel that my concerns in retrospect now appear valid.

Regardless, I did find it interesting that in a very small poll on MMO-Champion (only 35 respondents ... make of it what you will) which asked players what class they would first take to 85, the #1 response (over 22% of the total) was priest. Only 12% of respondents said they would first level a paladin. The #2 response was druid, and in last place at less than 3% of responses was shaman.

It was only a very small poll, so the conclusions are likely not valid ... but ... still, the #1 response was priest.

That's not surprising. Priests have always been popular and they'll continue to be popular. The Priest class is strong in concept and has a lot of appeal. It seems like everyone I know has a Priest alt. At the same time, I don't know very many people who have Priest mains. Especially not Holy.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
I'm too spoiled to walk away from this class. Two healing specs + large variety of heals = joy. I'm kind of curious about a Druid (the only healer I don't have) but then I figure a Holy Priest basically has all their heals save for ToL and LB. Druids on the other hand are looking rather weak on the raid healing side. They don't have a burst healing equivalent to PoH either which is a turn off. Sticking with Priest.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

That's not surprising. Priests have always been popular and they'll continue to be popular. The Priest class is strong in concept and has a lot of appeal. It seems like everyone I know has a Priest alt. At the same time, I don't know very many people who have Priest mains. Especially not Holy.

I once read a thread (it was around the beginning of Ulduar if I remember correctly) that around 58-60% of all max level priests were Shadow. It may have changed since then, but I would be willing to wager that the majority of max level Priests, even main max level priests, are Shadow.

Regardless, and as someone who eschews Shadow, I find Holy Priests rare. Even I tend to play Discipline. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the CoH nerf destroyed the raid healing, particularly when matched against the spammers of Wild Growth and Rejuvenation.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
My guild has a 10 man group were gonna run throughout cata, one of each class.

If priest healing sucks Ill just dps and act as a 3rd leg healer on fights that need it. Our shaman / paladin could heal. (druids gonna heal no matter what).

In pvp, I have a rogue and druid. Ill probably level my druid and play feral, since its so overpowered.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]