What are priests going to do???

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'll be rerolling druid or paladin from priest, since I'll get better results for half the work. Unfortunately both specs are pretty simplistic and brainless but staying with a priest at this point borders on masochistic

Having tried all 4 healers in beta I really don't think either of those classes is simplistic or brainless, certainly not paladins. All healers got more complexity added in cata. Paladins have more cooldowns to manage than any other healer. I think the new paladin healing system is actually rather involved and many times more interesting than wrath paladin healing.

Druids may not be as involved but they still have to manage tree and omen procs and maybe positioning efflorescence, but there's at least some level of thought that goes into it!
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
I'll be rerolling druid or paladin from priest, since I'll get better results for half the work. Unfortunately both specs are pretty simplistic and brainless but staying with a priest at this point borders on masochistic

Having tried all 4 healers in beta I really don't think either of those classes is simplistic or brainless, certainly not paladins. All healers got more complexity added in cata. Paladins have more cooldowns to manage than any other healer. I think the new paladin healing system is actually rather involved and many times more interesting than wrath paladin healing.

Druids may not be as involved but they still have to manage tree and omen procs and maybe positioning efflorescence, but there's at least some level of thought that goes into it!

I agree. I thought this pally was retired forever (BC holy pally killed my interest in the class), but the gameplay is dynamic and there is great synergy in the tree. Having played both a priest and pally, I can tell you that a smart and skilled pally can either outlast or out heal (and possibly both at the same time) any priest with the current mechanics.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
If you ask me honestly, its the healer not the class. I mean i litterally can sleep and top heals atm using only circle of healing and prayer of healing did it IN the first ICC I did since 4.0.1 dropped yesterday considering i quit for a month. Generally a good healer is gonna out heal a "Overpowered" healing class in the hands of some scrub who cant even play right. Considering there is more to healing that just spamming one heal and draining all your mana and waisting all the innervates etc its pointless. If i do continue to play in Cata which, I more than likely wont considering in my opinion this game is going to hell in a hand basket my priest is the only choice id ever play besides off tooning an enhancement shaman

Yes off course, the people that are worried about the class are so because they couldn't top healing meters in ICC.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

I agree. I thought this pally was retired forever (BC holy pally killed my interest in the class), but the gameplay is dynamic and there is great synergy in the tree. Having played both a priest and pally, I can tell you that a smart and skilled pally can either outlast or out heal (and possibly both at the same time) any priest with the current mechanics.

Well, like ... duh.

Thank you, Mr. Obvious.

The history of priest healing in Wow is that, at least from TBC onward, it has been the class that does less with more.

That this is true is not due to a de facto entitlement of paladins to a higher performance level (or even a de facto entitlement to more development time and attention from Blizzard). People, like myself, who are engaged by the challenges of playing the priest class well are still waiting for our class to be developed into a competitive and attractive choice for WoW healing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

This is about how I feel as well. I almost immediately shelfed my Paladin after raiding with it for the first time (ICC). The playstyle was really that bad. Things are very different now though. As Tarrel mentioned the spec has excellent synergy. Daybreak, Infusion of Light, Tower of Radiance, Holy Power, Protector of the Innocent, Eternal Glory and Light of Dawn are all very fun and rewarding mechanics.

Holy Priests are sort of the opposite. I know the word has been overused, but Holy Priests are the epitome of clunky. Paladin Healing flows and gives you a ton of perks just for healing normally. Priest healing is very punishing and awkward.

Honestly. If you dislike what they've done to Priests, there's a pretty good chance you'll like Paladins. Believe is probably the most most optimistic person on these forums when it comes to Priests, and recently even he (or she) said he's going to be playing a Paladin. I should be surprised, but I'm not.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The history of priest healing in Wow is that, at least from TBC onward, it has been the class that does less with more.

I'm going to assume from that statement that you didn't raid much since oh...kara. Or you feel that way since you raided in Vanilla where there were no other competitive healers. T5 and T6 were so much easier with Holy Priests being able to fill multiple roles. Not to mention certain fights were tailor made for CoH and PoH (BB, RoS, Naj'entus) as well as the entirety of Sunwell. Even into Wraith we were OP in Naxx and the beginning of Ulduar. Once Holy got to be dissapointing was pretty much the time that Disc became the star perfomer.

As to the comment about a skilled Pally > Priest, the better player will do both any time. As it is Priest AoE is still quite potent and NOT as dependant on placement of the raid as Pallys are. Top Guilds show them being spectacular because they abuse any mechanic to push through fights. And with such a large amount of healing coming from abilities that don't require mana...of course they would outlast. Expect that to change. On top of all this Priest single target will be getting at least one more buff.

At the end of the day the player that knows and understands AND plays his/her class better will win regardless of the competitor's class
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Still play a priest. I have the tools. It is up to me to make them work.

I have almost nothing to add. Just because one class is better than another doesn't mean they all can't get the job done.

That is a perfect line of thought for a casual player. For other more serious players, it will matter if priests are not worth bringing in for progression raids. Just saying that if you play for fun your class will always be fun because no pressure.
When a healer output matters and that ¾ of the raid is dead for a boss 1st kill, your performance will matter, all the chakra in the wrong state crap will matter even more.
You just won't get a raiding spot for a progression raid, get used to it.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I don't think anybody is going to quit playing a Priest for PVE reasons. Figuring out what mechanics will get you the numbers is one thing. Getting destroyed EVERY TIME YOU GET FOCUSED, or feeling like your 3v3 could have won if they just had brought a Druid/Paladin instead, messes with your self esteem especially if you "are a Priest at heart"

Moreover being put into that position not through any fault of your own, but because some developer didn't think what you were doing was "challenging" enough despite the fact that the last two seasons seem to have been about nothing but training the healer is INFURIATING.

Disc Priests were already bad healers. Now we are bad healers, bad damage, bad utility, and a liability to our teammates. I don't appreciate that. I've put enough time into this toon that in a sense it's part of me, and having that part made worthless is painful. I may keep playing her, but I'm not going to be quiet while I get my legs cut off. So I'm going to complain loudly till I've got my role back.
Reply Quote
63 Orc Shaman
Well after seeing the Paladin healing tool box increase I'm thinking about switching to a Paladin.

But I soooooo want Leap of Faith... :\!!

Hard to choose.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I.... have too much stuff to ever reroll.

If healing ends up bad for a long time I guess it's shadow or nothing....
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'll likely be shadow unless I'm sure that holy has the throughput and regen that is on par with the other classes.

My guild already has a steady disc priest and thanks to weakened soul "there can be only one" in an optimal situation.

It isn't about anything more than putting myself in a role where my toon can contribute as much value as possible to the raid. I don't feel like Holy will be that, but I will delay final judgement until 85.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
This is about how I feel as well. I almost immediately shelfed my Paladin after raiding with it for the first time (ICC). The playstyle was really that bad. Things are very different now though. As Tarrel mentioned the spec has excellent synergy. Daybreak, Infusion of Light, Tower of Radiance, Holy Power, Protector of the Innocent, Eternal Glory and Light of Dawn are all very fun and rewarding mechanics.

I can second that, except for me the watershed moment came with the triple elemental pulls in BRD and just lacking the tools to heal that pull adequately compared to my priestess. Combined with the monotonous healing style and a number of other issues (5 minute blessings) there was just no reason for me to continue playing this character; revisiting her in TBC and WotLK, I still wasn't impressed (that paladins were extremely powerful tank healers didn't make up for the lack of fun).

Things are just completely different now. I won't say that everything is perfect, but the playstyle has improved by leaps and bounds (again, I am not talking about the potency of paladin healing or lack thereof, just the experience of healing as one).

Holy Priests are sort of the opposite. I know the word has been overused, but Holy Priests are the epitome of clunky. Paladin Healing flows and gives you a ton of perks just for healing normally. Priest healing is very punishing and awkward.

Well, clunky isn't the wrong word, though I think it doesn't capture the problem fully. Blizzard has chosen to add some more mechanical complexity to some specs; oddly enough, in addition to doing it for those that were a bit repetitive (frost mages), they also added mechanics to already more complex specs (holy priests, protection warriors). In the end, you end up with a lot of micromanagement instead of genuine complexity because mechanics interact with one another in interesting ways.

Chakra is a pretty bad offender in that regard; it doesn't really make healing more complex, it just adds to the aforementioned micromanagement for a spec that didn't really have a shortage of spells to manage and cooldowns to watch. In so far as there's any choice as to which Chakra state to use, you'll generally just lock it in for the duration of the fight and keep it up. This is partly because the benefits of each Chakra state are relatively small, so there's not much of a penalty of being in the wrong state; partly because the cooldown of Chakra is so long that you can't really adjust it during the fight; in the end, it's probably best to play a game of averages for such an ability: estimate what's best overall, and stick with that.

This is in complete contrast with, say, a shaman's Tidal Waves; another mechanic that introduces a healing state, but does so in a way that is a lot more interactive and dynamic (when there's a reason to move away from pure Chain Heal spam).

On the plus side, discipline priests seem to be in a pretty good state right now, once mana efficiency starts to matter and PW:S spam becomes a thing of the past.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm going into PvP with my shadow priest (and not just cause he's te FotM atm) so I can actually make use of all those PvP talents and I dont have to worry about Mana regen.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I'm thinking of rolling another Priest actually =). I want to play Holy, Disc and Shadow, as well as having a PVP spec. I'm just trying to decide if having a second Priest would be easier, or if I should just respec constantly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Pain supression CANT BE DISPELLED, we are not paladins we dont have a million of instants spells, pain supression is ALL WE GOT.

Prayer of Mending, Renew, Power Word: Shield, Desperate Prayer, and Psychic Scream all filed complaints over this. They feel sorely abused.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]