What are priests going to do???

90 Human Priest
It's all in learning the new skills.

I think this is a very important observation.

Pretty sure that whole post you are responding to was intended as ironic humor. Armory the poster.

I sure hope so.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I switched from my Paladin to my Priest around Ulduar. Right around the time Pally's were getting really OP and Priests (Holy) were declining. And you know what? I still enjoyed the Priest more. When I was unsatisfied with Holy's poorer throughput than Druids (though Priests were still adequate healers for encounters), I could go Disc. When dissatisfied with Disc's simplicity I could go back Holy. And as for DPS, Shadow is a helluva lot more fun that RETHURR.

Later in ICC I switched back to Pally for a guild. It wasn't the top top tier, but it was quite competitive and contained some top rated players. And despite the competitiveness, their heal team always contained one of each of the 5 healing specs, with either an extra Druid or Paladin. I'm sure there are some guilds out there that skim their heal team per encounter for maximum benefit, but honestly that is a very small percentage of the player base, and even a small percentage of serious raiders.

I know Blizz won't design an encounter that will simply not be completable while you have a Holy Priest in your raid, so as long as you are a dedicated raider with decent performance, I can guarantee that you can find a guild that will let you raid full time. Maybe you'll work a little harder because you have a larger toolbox, but if you don't find that fun you should reroll. If you are tired of complicated play with comparable throughput to less complicated class, then reroll. But I would not reroll for fear that your raid spot is in jeopardy because of your favored class/spec. Work on your skill, attitude, and dependability if you are worried about that.

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I'll still be playing the priest. I really like my paladin though. My shaman was a little too boring at times but I am giving her another shot at one point (yay goblins!). I stopped playing my druid for a while since she was so OP (ie boring), I had high hopes for druids becoming more of a challenge to play in cataclysm so we will see.

I'll be dragging my druid behind me as I level the priest (she is my herbalist), then level the paladin, then the shaman. I have a 2nd priest but yeah, maybe after a few months more I'll get to her =P
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Still play a priest, though I have a 80pally and 74druid sitting around doing nothing if things get bad enough i guess..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
PK
i'll still play my priest even though i have a paladin (the stupidest and most boring healer ever created even with 4.0).
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
I think the OP's intent was based on his PvP experiences for the most part. Many people in this thread are talking about PvE, where the priest is really not too bad at the moment. That's why I think we should separate the discussion.

The dragon slayers and dungeon crawlers (myself included) will enjoy that aspect of the priest, unless you're one of those who hates Chakra. Those that PvP (also myself included), are little on edge right now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
PK
the devs could figure a solution for shadowpriests getting trained with fade breaking snares
but they just couldn't think JUST maybe they should give it to disc priests as well. MAYBE HMMM just maybe move fade talent to tier 1 HMMM............................
Disc priests are gonna get trained for life b/c they are the squishiest of all healers. And they nerfed penance WEEEEEEE

obvious imbalance is obvious
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Casted Heals: Heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal, Binding Heal, Prayer of Healing, Lightwell, Holy Word: Sanctuary, Divine Hymn

Instant Heals: Holy Word Aspire, Renew, Circle of Healing, Prayer of Mending, Holy Nova, Desperate Prayer, Guardian Spirit, Power Word Shield

Casted Abilities: Hymn of Hope, Mass Dispel, Smite, Holy Fire, Mind Spike

Instant Abilities: Holy Word Chastise, Leap of Faith, Psychic Scream, Dispel Magic, Cure Disease, Shadow Word Pain, Shadow Word Death, Levitate, Fear Ward

Heals with CDs: Prayer of Mending (10). Circle of Healing (10). Holy Word Aspire (10). Holy Word Sanctuary (30). Desperate Prayer (120). Guardian Spirit (150). Lightwell (180). Divine Hymn (480).

Abilities with CDs: Power Word Shield (3). Shadow Word Death (10). Holy Word Chastise (15). Psychic Scream (30). Chakra (30). Leap of Faith (90). Fear Ward (180). Shadowfiend (300). Hymn of Hope (360).

Priests clearly have a lot going on. And there's far more going on than I'm willing or able to put into words.

Here's what I notice when I look at the Priest spell book. Most of the heals are very weak individually. I don't think there's a single spell you could look at and say, "Hmm, this one's probably too good". However, Priests have generally been able to overcome this limitation by throwing out as many different heals as possible. On the beta healing looks lopsided in favor of PoH and CoH, but on live I usually end up with 7 or more sources of healing each contributing by a notable amount (10% or more). It's not really a bad thing for PVE, in fact a lot of people think it's fun (myself included), but that style of healing doesn't work in PVP.

PoH and CoH are probably the strongest heals we have. They're useful for raiding, but they do almost nothing for our ability to PVP. I think what we need is more spells like those, but the opposite. Spells that are powerful in PVP, but not so much in PVE. Things like Twirling Lights, the old SoL (without FH), and the old ProM. I know ProM is also useful for PVE, but in my experience ProM is much more useful in PVP since it's constantly jumping.
Edited by Jrgrim on 11/18/2010 2:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Druids and especially priests were completely OP well into T7 thanks to no cd on COH/WG

I could be wrong, but I remember it being nerfed just a few weeks into Naxx raiding (and was raiding 2 weeks after WotLK dropped), so I wouldn't say "well into" (Yes, we were OP for a few weeks, but its been a slow downhill slide since then).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
PK
there is something fundamentally wrong with offensive dispells at this point
from what i heard both druids and priests are getting facerolled by offensive dispells.
I can only imagine that this problem is even worse for priests.... We wear cloth and it it makes our signature spell (PWS) completely useless along with pain suppression which can also be dispelled and spell stolen. Add that with a penance nerf and you got yourself a dead priest. And with the removal of RNG dispell resist it makes the problem worse. Unless they make dispell SUPER expensive to cast I don't see how the devs are going to address their promise of having dispells being less frequently used in arena.

Oh yea they took out unbreakable will too....
Edited by Substantial on 11/18/2010 2:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Disc priests are gonna get trained for life b/c they are the squishiest of all healers. And they nerfed penance WEEEEEEE
There is one squishier healer than a disc priest in PvP -- a holy priest in PvP. I know holy has never been great in PvP, but we do still sometimes PvP.

I could be wrong, but I remember it being nerfed just a few weeks into Naxx raiding (and was raiding 2 weeks after WotLK dropped), so I wouldn't say "well into"
It took a fair amount of time before they added the cooldown. 3.0.8 was the patch that brought the cooldown with it. They talked about the cooldown for a long time before it actually got implemented (this started a couple weeks after raiding Naxx started).
Edited by Amalore on 11/18/2010 4:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Druids and especially priests were completely OP well into T7 thanks to no cd on COH/WG

I could be wrong, but I remember it being nerfed just a few weeks into Naxx raiding (and was raiding 2 weeks after WotLK dropped), so I wouldn't say "well into" (Yes, we were OP for a few weeks, but its been a slow downhill slide since then).

I don't remember how long it took exactly, I just know that my first guild fell apart after a few weeks in naxx 25, and that I got into another guild and then did malygos at least a few times before the nerf was implemented, so it must have been like...two months? I didn't level particularly fast, either. I do remember they announced it long before implementing it cause I remember calling for the head of the other holy priest we raided with who had literally 95% of his healing on any given fight done by COH saying he wouldn't be able to play if he didn't learn to use other spells (and who, not surprisingly, quit raiding the week after the nerf).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Still play a priest because we are SUPPOSED to be the best healer in the game and it's much better than playing a Chain Heal spamming shaman, a Rejuvenation spamming healing druid, a beacon Holy Light spamming Paladin in WOTLK. At least we just spammed Power Word: Shield, Flash Heal, Penance and Prayer of Mending as Discipline... meanwhile as Holy we had to use Renew (like Rejuvenation) and Circle of Healing on CD (aka like Wild Growth) like a druid plus the occassional Prayer of Healing/Mending and Flash Heals.

When I looked at Recount I saw the above as top heals that's why I categorized Shaman/Paladin/Priest/Druid as being a spammer I know they all do much more than that as of the recent changes. But even now we still appear to have the most diverse set of tools as a class with 2 healing specs. So yeah I'm sticking to priest.
Edited by Sacredscythe on 12/6/2010 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Well this is a reply to the Original poster. I'm going to play my priest in Cata i LOVE LOVE my class. Another poster mentioned something about priests being whiners, IDK what that is all about. I would never complain about my abilites or lack of them..if I had a lack, which in my opinion I don't. I am looking forward to raiding, PvP and PvE and whatever else this GAME has to offer! I have other toons in different roles/races but I'm addicted to my priest! I look forward to the levelingrace once again as well
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]