Question for Priest's going into Cata

(Locked)

86 Human Paladin
Let me start by saying that my main has been priest since late BC, and I have enjoyed playing all of the specs for most of the time since, but I have a question.......

What are my fellow priests going to do in Cata since all specs seem to be pretty abysmal at 85. I dusted off this Paladin who has sat since naxx. PvP is great! Great offensive and defensive play, and can play mostly with instants! Kinda like what disc used to be. PvE is strong as well. Seems pretty mana efficient with lots of cheap (or free!), fast, and strong heals. AoE isn't quite as good as Holy Priest, but the toolbox is nicely expanded (I can insta-heal 3 people at once with PotI, Beacon and Holy Shock). Looks like it will either be him or my mage in Cata.

My sense is that the priest population is going to plummet (especially in PvP), So... just curious what you guys are doing. Are you playing a different class? suffering through the changes until the buffs eventually come (halfway through Cata)? Are you taking a break (or even quitting)? What direction are you guys going?
85 Undead Priest
It's one of those times I'm glad I have other classes sitting at 80. I have a pally and rogue on standby just in case priests get no love from now til cata.
88 Blood Elf Paladin
I plan on leveling a priest in Cata. I guess it's because I'm good at making the best of a situation and I'm not a whiny b...
85 Human Priest
I quit when Wrath came out. Probably won't do that again. I do have a mage sitting at 80 who I fully intend to keep updated this time around (this will be my first time with a raiding alt). That said, my priest will be my main until I stop playing.
86 Human Paladin
I plan on leveling a priest in Cata. I guess it's because I'm good at making the best of a situation and I'm not a whiny b...

I love it! Post on a holy pally that you leveled to 80 YESTERDAY, and say you will level a priest because are "good at making the best of a situation".

Funny stuff. Made me smile!
85 Human Priest
I love my Priest. I'll never give my priest up for anything. Come hell or high water, I'll be here. Just because "other classes are better" doesn't mean that Priests are useful or even potentially necessary. Priests are the glue that hold the healing community together - remove us and your raid is sure to falter.
85 Undead Priest
Going to level my priest, gotta get to level 85 and make that money plus I think priests are still fun
85 Undead Priest
I'm having fun with my priest. I've been playing this game since open beta and Cata isn't that big a deal to me. Every class has their ups and downs. I've seen it. I've experienced it. I always come back to my priest. She'll be the first one I level to 85.
80 Undead Priest
Priest's FTW
I cant wait to start lvling with my Priest when cata Comes. I don't even care if we don't get much love from blizz, because if you roll Priest you own automatically!
85 Goblin Priest
No way will I ever shelve my priest. I love the class now and forever, been my main since vanilla. We may have our ups and we definitely have our downs, but I will stick it out until the end.

Seriously though Priest at 85 is not bad, don't know why people are complaining about it. GC commented not long ago that Holy was sitting right where they wanted all healers to be at. If that's the case then well I see nothing wrong.

Disc yes, well I love Disc and it was hurting but with the recent buffs in beta things are looking better. Just gonna have to wait and see in Cata.
85 Draenei Priest
I've been shadow since the original Naxx and I don't plan to change anytime soon.
86 Human Paladin
No way will I ever shelve my priest. I love the class now and forever, been my main since vanilla. We may have our ups and we definitely have our downs, but I will stick it out until the end.

Seriously though Priest at 85 is not bad, don't know why people are complaining about it. GC commented not long ago that Holy was sitting right where they wanted all healers to be at. If that's the case then well I see nothing wrong.

Disc yes, well I love Disc and it was hurting but with the recent buffs in beta things are looking better. Just gonna have to wait and see in Cata.

Priest might be where they want the other healers to be, but they aren't there, and we are.

From what I have read, Priests are weak at 85. All our specs have mana issues, Disc might be OK with the recent buffs, but being balanced around a 24% heal bonus on only one target at a time is a pretty severe limitation. Another liability is that, Disc spends 6 points in very situational smite talents that no longer return much mana, and a bunch of talents in shields when the spec is being steered away from bubble spam. Holy not only has mana issues, they are saddled with a flexible debuff that makes them either bad at raid healing or bad at single target healing (or both if chakra is not up). The mechanics seem clunky, a lot of button pushing is required to access our talents at full power, and compared to Paladins (my only other healer), there is very little synergy in the tree.

Looks like a lot of people will stick with priests, but I'm curious how many of you guys like to PvP. I can live with being a little weak in PvE, but playing a weak class in PvP is excruciating (and PvP highlights class imbalances).
85 Goblin Priest
Priest might be where they want the other healers to be, but they aren't there, and we are.

There were some recent buffs in the latest beta build that should help some. PW:B got a nice buff and I could see it being nerfed in the future. PoH is much much better now more healing and at less of cost. What do you think? I personally like PW:B now.

I do have to agree though that so far I have not seen the other healing specs brought in line to Priests. Still waiting on that unless of course I am missing some information. Did Druids and Holy Pally's get there mana regen nerfed?

From what I have read, Priests are weak at 85. All our specs have mana issues, Disc might be OK with the recent buffs, but being balanced around a 24% heal bonus on only one target at a time is a pretty severe limitation. Another liability is that, Disc spends 6 points in very situational smite talents that no longer return much mana, and a bunch of talents in shields when the spec is being steered away from bubble spam. Holy not only has mana issues, they are saddled with a flexible debuff that makes them either bad at raid healing or bad at single target healing (or both if chakra is not up). The mechanics seem clunky, a lot of button pushing is required to access our talents at full power, and compared to Paladins (my only other healer), there is very little synergy in the tree.

Agreed on Disc, I to feel there is some work to be done there but I am happy to be away from Bubble botting. I do like the Smite stuff, adds a little new flavor to the spec, but its flawed imo.

On Holy's mana issues I think we have to wait and see if we truly will be the worst on that, from what I can tell we are but again maybe the other classes have not been brought down to our mana regen levels. I believe it was stated that Shaman was pretty on par but Holy Pallys and Druids were to good.

Chakra did get revamped a little, Renew Chakra was removed and CD was reduced for easier "switching". I to agree with you that Chakra still seems cluncky and I would like see just a real stance. We do have a large tool box as is and its one of the reason why I love my priest, but at the same time it's getting harder to bind all this effectively.

Looks like a lot of people will stick with priests, but I'm curious how many of you guys like to PvP. I can live with being a little weak in PvE, but playing a weak class in PvP is excruciating (and PvP highlights class imbalances).

Not sure on PvP, but I too plan on doing a lot of PvP right from the start on the priest so I do hope they pan out and play well. I would prefer to stay Disc in PvP but would not mind trying Holy. Holy looks to be a great healer in rated BGs for the AoE healing it offers to the group over Disc, because well rated BGs will be larger groups so good AoE healing I would think would be a good strat.
Love my Priesty, sticking with her until the end!
86 Human Paladin

Not sure on PvP, but I too plan on doing a lot of PvP right from the start on the priest so I do hope they pan out and play well. I would prefer to stay Disc in PvP but would not mind trying Holy. Holy looks to be a great healer in rated BGs for the AoE healing it offers to the group over Disc, because well rated BGs will be larger groups so good AoE healing I would think would be a good strat.

Good luck with PvP. There are some interesting posts on AJ about it. Some of the long time top disc priests (like Billian) are actually giving up on the class. Its that bad for PvP. Thats arena, but maybe holy will be OK in BGs. I hear its very squishy, but people seem to be having fun at least.
85 Goblin Priest
Good luck with PvP. There are some interesting posts on AJ about it. Some of the long time top disc priests (like Billian) are actually giving up on the class. Its that bad for PvP. Thats arena, but maybe holy will be OK in BGs. I hear its very squishy, but people seem to be having fun at least.

Interesting I will have to take a look at what there talking about over in AJ. Never been into Arena only BGs so I tend to look at PvP from that viewpoint.

Yeah I bet Holy is squishy, not much you can do about that I guess. I too heard it was quite fun in BGs and can pump out a lot of group healing really fast, which maybe nice in the Cata BG environment where strats are different for larger group play.
Postdeleted
90 Troll Priest
Did you mean WoD? Wod is the next xpac
90 Undead Priest
05/18/2014 03:47 PMPosted by Crucifyx
Did you mean WoD? Wod is the next xpac

11/16/2010

Yes, he meant WoD
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]