4.0.3a: What is in it, what is not.

85 Night Elf Druid
The elemntal invasion in SW is bugged. None of the sandbags can be placed in the Park, because the park is gone.

Eh, just toss em in that burning crater. We'll sort it out later.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
4.0.3a is on the PTR, and I was wondering what was being implemented and what wasn't. I could find bits and pieces spread out across the forums, but no central source of information. So, I intend to make a compilation thread of everything that is and isn't going into the new patch, so people can know what to expect, and hopefully we can cut down on needless threads asking what is and is not going into it.

If there is already a source of information on this that I have missed, inform me, and ill link to it, and just let this thread die. If not, post everything you think is a significant change that people may ask about, and I'll keep it as up-to-date as possible.

Whats not in:

Creating worgen/goblin characters
Worgen/Goblin start zones
Archeology
Professions past 450 (Illustrious Grand Master)
Guild leveling
Guild acheivments
Easter Kingdoms/Kalimdor flight

What is in:

Portals in Dalaran Removed
Class trainers in Dalaran where portals once were
New race-class combinations (excluding worgen/goblin)
New Gnome/Troll starting areas
Changes to existing zones
New load screens
New music
Invasion event

4.0.3a is just an activation for 4.0.3 to turn on.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Thanks for all the helpful information :)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I'm glad they are dumping the portals.

I hope the skies of Azeroth are filled with people flying around on their mounts in Cat.

Maybe it'll feel like a real MMORPG again, instead of everyone just porting to Dalaran and then jumping in and out of the city portals.

It kills the sense of community and immersion.
Edited by Sniperstrike on 11/17/2010 6:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What is in:

Here's where I'm confused. Back when this was first announced, I read that mage ports to Dal/Shatt were what was being taken out.

Am I reading this wrong or are they seriously removing the portals to Org, UC, etc from Dalaran? If that IS what they're doing, does that mean we'll be able to train illustrius grand master stuff in places like Org?

Correct the multiple portals in Dalaran that lead to other major cities will be removed.

My understanding is that they are putting more trainers in old world cities to make them the popular hubs.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
What is in:

Here's where I'm confused. Back when this was first announced, I read that mage ports to Dal/Shatt were what was being taken out.

Am I reading this wrong or are they seriously removing the portals to Org, UC, etc from Dalaran? If that IS what they're doing, does that mean we'll be able to train illustrius grand master stuff in places like Org?

They are taking the main city portals from dalaran and shattrath and all the profession trainers in the main cities train to the highest rank.

Thank you. ^_^

I don't really see the point but as long as I won't have to spend hours going back and forth from Dal/Org to power level a profession at 85, I couldn't care less. That's the only point of going to Dal for anything besides raiding anyway.
Reply Quote
72 Draenei Death Knight
Any changes to Silvermoon/Exodar/Quel'danas?

From what my guildie said, Exodar islands and Quel'danas are both connected to Azeroth directly already - ie no loading screen.

Maybe I misunderstood him, but that is the best course of action in this Azeroth revamping expansion. There is no point in keeping Exodar and Quel'danas separated from Azeroth, they are part of Kalimdor and "Eastern Kingdoms" respectively.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
And when this patch will be launched???

I'm showing an 11.23% chance this patch will launch before thanksgiving.

I C WUT U DID THAR :P

I really hope it's true, I've been holding off making a new toon for so bloody long waiting for the revamped zones.

I can hold off another week, any more and I might go a little crazy.
Edited by Garøna on 11/17/2010 7:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
So, does that mean there just be the new leveling quests and the other parts of the zones that have 80-85 mobs will be empty or just walled off?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

I think next week. I would assume that this patch is probably the largest patch ever launched by blizzard and they would want atleast 2 weeks to iron out the bugs so that the Cata launch will go smoothly.

Actually, it's extremely small (I think the PTR update was ~8MB). Most of the stuff was downloaded as part of 4.0.1 and (to a lesser extent) 4.0.3. The only thing 4.0.3a does is throw in the last couple files and delete the old stuff. Server-wise they just flip the switch from "Old" to "Exploded".
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I can't make new characters to experience the new starting zones, because it says I already have the max characters I can make. I only have 2, though.
Reply Quote

I'm showing an 11.23% chance this patch will launch before thanksgiving.

I C WUT U DID THAR :P

I really hope it's true, I've been holding off making a new toon for so bloody long waiting for the revamped zones.

I can hold off another week, any more and I might go a little crazy.

I'm glad someone did lol
DORF SHAMMY TIEM!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I wonder if we'll be getting the new city quartermaters? I'd love to grind that GIlneas rep before cata.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
I heard *all* the cloth quartermasters were being removed.
Reply Quote
72 Draenei Death Knight
So, does that mean there just be the new leveling quests and the other parts of the zones that have 80-85 mobs will be empty or just walled off?

50-50. The Azeroth 'world' (except Northrend of course) is very tricky. First, the game is timeline based, it follows a story. Second, it is a game, they need to entice people to buy the expansions.

Pre-Catac, the method to keep players away from "expansion" content was to add some sort of barriers like portals to Quel'thalas, boat to Exodar, boat/zep to Northrend, portal to Outland. Ignore everything except the portal to Silvermoon located in the north-eastern part of EPL.

But with Catac, the story is different. It is an expansion that everyone will have access to. If you only have Vanilla WoW, you will have access to the "new-Azeroth" but not to non-world or non-blocking content like - Azeroth Flying and getting to level 85 (you'll be stuck in level 60 without any fly skills).

This brings us to another question, an important one, Exodar and Quel'thalas. They revamped the old world, it is only appropriate to finally - literally connect the two to Azeroth itself. But what if the player doesn't have TBC?

The only thing I can come up with is that Blizzard created a new code that will prevent players without TBC from accessing the TBC lands - Exodar and Quel'thalas in Azeroth without the need to use "loading screens".

For example again when entering Quel'thalas. Everytime we pass the huge Elven Gate, the system checks if we have TBC, if not, then we get teleported back a few steps away from the gate.

For Exodar, the same old method can still be used - boat. There's no other way for Vanilla WoW players to access Exodar but to get on a boat. But let's assume they introduce a flying mount that can take passengers. What will happen then? The same thing as in my example above re: Quel'thalas. That player without TBC will simply get teleported back.

No loading screen. Uninterrupted flying access to Exodar and Quel'thalas from the new-Azeroth, but the TBC-filter still intact.

Seriously, the loading screen was not needed at all. I believe the real purpose behind it was to sort-of "hide" or give the server time to transfer our characters from one huge cluster of servers to another.

If you are not aware, when Kalimdor goes down, the whole continent goes with it. Same with Eastern Kingdoms. But Exodar and Quel'thalas are currently located with the Outland clust of servers - hence the loading screen (in my opinion).

If they made the transition seamless, uninterrupted, no loading screen by Catac (so us flying to and fro won't see the silly loading screen that kills immersion greatly), then it's either they moved Exodar and Quel'thalas to the Kalimdor and EK server cluster respectively, or they have a new code and setup that allows us to go from one cluster of server to another without the need for any loading screens.

PTR and Beta players can confirm any of it.
Reply Quote
83 Dwarf Hunter
Any changes to Silvermoon/Exodar/Quel'danas?

From what my guildie said, Exodar islands and Quel'danas are both connected to Azeroth directly already - ie no loading screen.

Maybe I misunderstood him, but that is the best course of action in this Azeroth revamping expansion. There is no point in keeping Exodar and Quel'danas separated from Azeroth, they are part of Kalimdor and "Eastern Kingdoms" respectively.

As much as I want your friend to be right on this one, my impression is that Quel'danas and the Azuremyst Isles essentially remain untouched by the Cataclysm because, while they are technically part of the Old World landscape, they aren't part of the Vanilla landscape. That is to say, they are part of the Burning Crusade Expansion Pack and as such aren't supposed to be available to players who don't purchase that expansion pack. People who are playing the base version of WoW can't take the boat from Auberdine to Azuremyst, for example; they simply don't have the game data to see it, just as they don't have the game data to travel through the Dark Portal, even if they meet the level requirement to do so.

This would explain the various complaints I've seen about there being no flying over Silvermoon City. Azuremyst and Quel'danas appear to be the only locations with no revamping and, thus, no flying permitted.

Edit: Quel'danas != Quel'thalas, but the idea remains the same :P.
Edited by Somberson on 11/17/2010 7:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
Sweet!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
What is in:

Yes they want us in the capital citys now so we will find everything in capital citys!!!! and they put class trainers to make it so people dont have to go back to org every level they can set hearth to dal or shat and waste less time running
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]