Is it our responsibility to teach ppl?

61 Blood Elf Priest
I mean when I see dps ppl that stand in bad green or purple poison, or don't move when the boss breaths deadly fire on them, pull before tank and so on.
How can we teach them? Well I feel sorry to let them die but I let them to take the damage so they see and feel a little fear, only then I throw a heal.

I mostly have problem with dps who pull groups of mobs on us, considering they are invincible and that I'll heal them....If I heal them I get all the aggro and poor tank runs around like a chicken without head trying to restore order and get back the aggro.

I got to say those ppl make my job so much harder, I usually end up with migraines and need to take a break from wow for an hour or so.
How do you keep dps'ers from misbehaving and creating a havoc in dungeons? (I'm talking only about low lvl instances)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Imagine if there were a thread in the tank or DPS forums where someone asked if it was their job to 'teach' new healers to heal better. Imagine if their plan to do that was to deliberately do low DPS or refuse to use their mitigation cooldowns to force the healer to play better.

You would probably not like that very much.

Healers aren't special snowflakes. Our job in a group is the same as anyone else's: play our role to the best of our ability. Heal as well as you can. Make sure that if the group wipes, it's because of someone else's mistake. Don't deliberately play badly to try to 'teach' them to play better.

If you have a problem with the way other players are playing - if it's making it impossible for your group to be successful - talk to them. They are humans. They don't like being classically-conditioned. They will usually respond much more positively to being treated like humans.
Reply Quote
This is my other healer and I have couple more low lvl healers and at this level I meet lots of beginners who have no idea what's their role, or hw to dismiss pets or turn off growl.
I do tell them. I do heal like there is no tomorrow and I was told my heals are epic.

I never let ppl die in purpose, that happens only if they wander around by themselves instead of doing their role. And yes I refuse to heal any dps that pulls while we have a good tank already in group.

I tell them from the beginning and give them the reason and that is cause the moment I heal a dps who aggro a group of mobs those mobs jump on me and finish me in a second. Only the tank has abilities to HOLD the aggro while I heal him.

As a new healer I learn things as I go too and I will keep teaching and explaining things to others and they will be grateful by the time they get to lvl 90 and learned skills that keep them alive.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Good luck. Most of the time, if you give some advice, they'll think you're being an elitist !@#$%^-. The only time teaching works is when that person wants to be taught. And about 90% of the time, they don't.
Reply Quote
95 Pandaren Shaman
Just preform your role and not worry about them in that aspect. Experience is a great teacher and there will come a time where they're going to get themselves in a situation where a healer no matter how good they are can't get them out of. After a few trips from the graveyard in those cases will teach them to get out of the infected zone. Also you don't want to get labeled as a bad healer and groups have kicked healers out of randoms before, if they think they're not doing a good job.
Edited by Meixiang on 10/17/2013 10:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
No, it is not your job to teach them. They may even be offended or insulted if you do. A good healer is up for the challenge of healing through stupidity. An even better healer chooses their battles, allows the DPS to die if needed to keep the tank alive and kill the boss. I always look at situations like those as opportunities to flex my healing muscles or practice rapid decision-making.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
You don't have any "responsibilities" or jobs that you don't want, and that applies to everything in life. You just do what you want to do.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
How do you keep dps'ers from misbehaving and creating a havoc in dungeons? (I'm talking only about low lvl instances)

Most often you don't. You can't control people, and many of them will be disruptive simply for the sake of it. The best you can do is ignore them--thankfully, low level instances are so easy, you really only need a tank and healer to cooperate just well enough to get through them. You can always leave and get your Deserter debuff, and continue questing, or PuG up with people you know, such as guildies.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Priest
Well you guys do whatever you please, I will keep doing my way. In life and in game as well.
If something or someone bothers me and their action affects me or the ppl I love, yeah damn sure I will do something about it.
You all have a nice day.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
Since I've started playing a healer this expansion I've become amazed at how people never seem to watch their health. They'll stand in something bad and just stay there. Their health will start dropping and just keep dropping. Don't they see they're taking damage?!? I know health stats don't increase your dps, but you can't dps when you're dead.

I'm a healer so it's my job to watch health bars, but even as a dpser I glance at my health every now and then to make sure I'm ok, and if I see myself losing health I move out of habit even if I don't notice myself standing in something bad.

I guess this is a result of my having played dps, tank, and heals, and plenty of pvp over the years. I realize the importance of health! :P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Real life and in game issues can not really be compared.

If I am in a dungeon and things are going horribly (people standing in stuff they shouldn't, DPS pulling things, etc etc) I may say something IF it's causing us to wipe or close to wiping. If they ignore me, I'll leave. Why stress out over something I don't need to? At low levels mana isn't an issue and some people tend to forget that there are new healers who are not used to the whole "pull all the things" mentality of a dungeon.

I'd almost rather people stand in stuff, nothing to heal at most levels otherwise :p
Edited by Veroicone on 10/17/2013 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Good luck. Most of the time, if you give some advice, they'll think you're being an elitist !@#$%^-. The only time teaching works is when that person wants to be taught. And about 90% of the time, they don't.

It's all in presentation.

If you go into a raid with an open, fun attitude, people will generally listen to you.

Most of my raids are positive. Unless I have Tater along for the ride with me. Then all hell breaks loose.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
"Guys please watch the ground effects, I won't be able to keep up if too many are taking unnecessary damage"

Don't call any one specific person out. Just gently nudge everyone that they are making it a hair more difficult than it needs to be. This also implies that if someone dies, it was because of a situation that the collective group created.
Reply Quote
28 Dwarf Priest
No, it is not your job to teach them. They may even be offended or insulted if you do. A good healer is up for the challenge of healing through stupidity. An even better healer chooses their battles, allows the DPS to die if needed to keep the tank alive and kill the boss. I always look at situations like those as opportunities to flex my healing muscles or practice rapid decision-making.

Agree. I enjoy the challenge of healing through stupid and at low/mid level while in BoA's I usually can.

As someone once put it. If the Tank dies its my fault, if I die it's the Tank's fault, and if the DPS dies it's their fault!

As a rule I try to heal everyone but the dumber they act the lower they go on my priority list.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This is my other healer and I have couple more low lvl healers and at this level I meet lots of beginners who have no idea what's their role, or hw to dismiss pets or turn off growl.
I do tell them. I do heal like there is no tomorrow and I was told my heals are epic.

I never let ppl die in purpose, that happens only if they wander around by themselves instead of doing their role. And yes I refuse to heal any dps that pulls while we have a good tank already in group.

I tell them from the beginning and give them the reason and that is cause the moment I heal a dps who aggro a group of mobs those mobs jump on me and finish me in a second. Only the tank has abilities to HOLD the aggro while I heal him.

As a new healer I learn things as I go too and I will keep teaching and explaining things to others and they will be grateful by the time they get to lvl 90 and learned skills that keep them alive.

Pretty much this, usually I get compliments, although if I'm having a bad day, if they dont learn quickly I'll let them die to it. Usually results in my fault or them going oops. Its w/e
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]