Windows 8.1

100 Blood Elf Mage
Hi there, how are you guys?

Ok, Windows 8.1 is here, official release.

I installed the preview version several weeks ago in another computer, and I DID have a lot of problems with WoW and Diablo III.

So my question is, is there a blue post regarding Win 8.1? Any patch or "fix" to download? Or anything to do at all? I want to be sure that my experience with this new Windows Update is great and I will not see any incompatibility with Software and Games, at least not today after the official release.

I want to believe that because the OS is now officialy released I shouldn't see any problems with Blizzard games, Am I right?

Thanks in advance guys.
Reply Quote
46 Orc Hunter
The mouse problems persists through the Windows 8.1 release. This is the problem where the camera will randomly change to another direction after right-clicking the screen. This is the only bug of which I am aware. But it sure is an annoying and gameplay-hindering bug.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
This is a issue with WoW and windows 8. The camera will randomly change angle or direction of your char when you are right clicking on the screen while moving. But this does not happen in other MMO's I play. One I play is extremely smooth and movement is precise, like WoW use to be. And it has much better graphics. But Win 8 is here to stay, so Blizzard needs to fix this issue if they want to keep those who have and will upgrade to Win 8 as paying customers. Some may not have this issue depending on how much they use the mouse to move and change their angle of view. But is a very annoying issue right now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've been using Windows 8 for over a year and have never seen this mouse issue. I'm assuming it isn't universal, has it been narrowed down?

I use the mouse exclusively when moving (in combination with keyboard, but always with right click for control).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I wound up deleting it and doing a fresh install back to windows 7 . All better back to normal. Windows 8 is horrible trash made for tablets and phones I would not buy a computer with it installed , it's a virus.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Nonconstructive opinions aside, near as I and others have been able to tell this is an issue with Windows 8.1 rather than Windows 8. I've been running Windows 8 on multiple devices without issue.

@Whitetiger Have you upgraded to Windows 8.1 or are you experiencing the issue on vanilla Windows 8?
Edited by Jraken on 10/18/2013 10:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Nonconstructive opinions aside, near as I and others have been able to tell this is an issue with Windows 8.1 rather than Windows 8. I've been running Windows 8 on multiple devices without issue.

@Whitetiger Have you upgraded to Windows 8.1 or are you experiencing the issue on vanilla Windows 8?

I did upgrade to win 8.1. Which overall I like better than 8. I was having the issue some with Win 8 before the upgrade. But 8.1 seems to have made it worse. I did set the game from Dx11 to Dx9 just recently to test if that would help and that did seem to help some. But I get better fps using Dx11. I am wondering if I need to reinstall WoW after upgrading to 8.1? Sort of odd when the other MMO I play, GW2 does not have this issue at all after upgrading to 8.1
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There's a thread in the Bug Reports forum with more detail on this issue. I've I performed a fresh reinstall of WoW on one of my systems and the issue still persists.

The only constant in all the systems I've tested on is WoW and Windows 8.1 (fresh install or upgrade of either)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10102720358
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/17/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Whatitis
The mouse problems persists through the Windows 8.1 release. This is the problem where the camera will randomly change to another direction after right-clicking the screen. This is the only bug of which I am aware. But it sure is an annoying and gameplay-hindering bug.

Huh, I wasn't even aware this was a bug. I updated to Win8.1 last night and have been experiencing this since. I thought it was either my mouse or that I'd developed a really bad twitch. This is an extremely frustrating issue, to say the least.

I also appear to be experiencing some microstutter since the update. Every so often the game will just "lock up" for a few hundred milliseconds. Is anyone else experiencing that as well?

So far this Win8.1 update hasn't been very friendly. I've run into quite a few non-WoW-related issues as well.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I have the same experience you are having also. But as I have said in other posts, it is only with WoW. I play other MMO's. So the issue is not all with the Win 8.1 update. I set my system to run on Dx9 instead of the default Dx11 it was on. It helped a little, but is still there.
Reply Quote
I didn't have any issues under Win8 and I still don't have any under 8.1. I'd be willing to bet that what people are seeing are more the sort of problems that can crop up any time you do an in-place OS upgrade when old device drivers don't get hooked in quite right and what have you.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I didn't have any issues under Win8 and I still don't have any under 8.1. I'd be willing to bet that what people are seeing are more the sort of problems that can crop up any time you do an in-place OS upgrade when old device drivers don't get hooked in quite right and what have you.

Then why is there no issues with other MMO's? Like GW2. It may have a lot also to do with how much you use your mouse for changing your camera angle and movement. If I use the keyboard more, then I have less issues, or none at all if I stick to moving with the keyboard.
Reply Quote
I use my mouse exclusively to turn and wasd for movement. As to why it's only WoW, who knows. 8.1 does come with a new version of DirectX that could have something to do with it. Trying playing around with the hardware cursor setting in the options.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I use my mouse exclusively to turn and wasd for movement. As to why it's only WoW, who knows. 8.1 does come with a new version of DirectX that could have something to do with it. Trying playing around with the hardware cursor setting in the options.

I have tried every setting I can think of...disabled..enabled, etc etc. Changed every camera setting I could do and out of all of this not much difference. Still the same issue. It happens randomly..may play for a couple mins and it does not happen at all. Only 2 things seem to make any noticeable difference, but even they are only a small improvement, is to use Dx9 and deselect sticky targeting. I hate doing that however, as Dx11 gives me better performance. And the accidental clicking on the player field is anoying.

Are you using the built in driver for your mouse which is in Windows or another one?
Edited by Whitetiger on 10/18/2013 7:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Mage
10/18/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Kodiack

Huh, I wasn't even aware this was a bug. I updated to Win8.1 last night and have been experiencing this since. I thought it was either my mouse or that I'd developed a really bad twitch. This is an extremely frustrating issue, to say the least.

I also appear to be experiencing some microstutter since the update. Every so often the game will just "lock up" for a few hundred milliseconds. Is anyone else experiencing that as well?

So far this Win8.1 update hasn't been very friendly. I've run into quite a few non-WoW-related issues as well.

The mouse issue is a known issue with 8.1. The only driver that seems to work correctly is the one for Microsoft mice. There are posts on almost every gaming forum and Logitech's forum.
Reply Quote
Are you using the built in driver for your mouse which is in Windows or another one?

I have a Razer Naga which has its own driver and software.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Mage
You will most likely have to wait for Razer to release a new driver. Logitech and many others are having the same issues.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/18/2013 08:01 PMPosted by Northernlite

The mouse issue is a known issue with 8.1. The only driver that seems to work correctly is the one for Microsoft mice. There are posts on almost every gaming forum and Logitech's forum.

I do not think this is true. I am using the Microsoft mouse driver and still have the issue. But this is a issue with WoW. Not other MMO's. I tested it in GW2, Rift and SWTOR and the issue is not in those games.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Mage
@Whitetiger

There has been a mouse issue with 8.1 since the first version went up for testing. It is a fact even if you do not want to believe it. you can try the work around by following the instructions below and see if it fixes the issue with wow it did on my 8.1 laptop I use a Logitech mouse with it.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/windows-81-mouse-lag-reportedly-renders-some-pc-games-close-unplayable

You might remember that Windows 8.1 rolled out yesterday. In doing so, however, it knocked over a vase and pulled the cover from the DPI framework, sending its contents crashing to earth with an almighty crash and souring its relationship with the mouse.

Redditors report that the major system update has introduced insurmountable lag to games including Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Metro: Last Light and STALKER: Call of Pripyat.

The issue appears to lie with Windows 8.1’s new DPI framework for multiple monitors, which has interfered with usual communication between the mouse and the OS. Games that don't read raw mouse data, like those above, have developed a sluggishness not exactly conducive to hacking in Deux Ex, for instance.

One user said that the polling rate of their mouse - i.e. how often it reports back to your PC - had fallen from 1000hz to 125hz.

A purported fix has been put forward over on Reddit, though it doesn’t seem to work for everyone. It goes like this:
1.Right click the EXE of the game in question
2.Go to properties
3.Go to the compatibility tab
4.Tick the box marked ‘run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select ‘Windows 8’
5.Tick ‘disable scaling on high DPI settings’
6.Tick ‘run this program as an administrator’

Let us know if you’re affected, what games you’re struggling with, and if the above solves the issue for you. Can’t hurt to put our heads and hurts together, can it?
Edited by Northernlite on 10/19/2013 9:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]