Atonement is boring - Too good not to do it..

90 Human Priest
Anyone else think Atonement is very boring? It's taking the fun out of healing, for me. It's cool seeing the whole raid bubbled, but it's just not fun anymore. It should be noted that I don't just spam Atonement - I do cast direct heals and utilize Spirit Shell & other abilities. However, it's just not that interesting anymore..Maybe I just know the class too well for it to be a mechanical challenge.

I checked out Holy the other day and it was a blast. I sucked at first, but I'm getting much better. However, my raidleader wants me disc so I'm pretty much stuck... PLUS Atonement/Disc heals are just very good in general so it's hard to accept "lesser heals" for the sake of fun.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think it's just burnout. I've been having a blast on my disc priest.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think it's boring too! you're not alone! It's ok if people do like it though. Like Fisty over here :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It can be very, very boring. Especially when no damage is going out (for instance LFR and flex) and I can just smite my way to victory :P

Wasn't as boring last night during raid since we'e finally 2 healing, but I do agree! I tend to space out on some fights now :D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Try to think less of it as healing and rather just dpsing. Try your best to beat anyone you can on the meters. Anyway you can, although I guess that can be hard with only 3 main spells.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Just play holy if you don't like it. It's one thing I enjoy out of disc is to actually dps too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I enjoy smite spamming. It's why I play a Disc Priest. I like that I feel partly like a DPS, while still in a healing role.
Reply Quote
1 Goblin Rogue
I don't mind it. I think its broken that we can provide that kind of dps while healing, but I enjoy it. Managing how much dps/atonement I can do (well how much smiting I do, penance and solace are used on cooldown no matter the situation except emergencies) is probably the only part of the spec that requires thinking. Once you learn damage patterns of a fight , everything else is brainless. That's only really true for farm content though. On progression I'm constantly scrutinizing my spell usage and how I can be the most effective at keeping people alive without running OOM. Meanwhile on farm content, my focus is maximizing how much healing I can snipe from the non-absorb healers.
Edited by Cucumbers on 10/19/2013 1:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
50 Goblin Priest
Leave alone my spec! it's awesome the way it is. There are many other heal classes go pick on another.

I enjoy smite spamming. It's why I play a Disc Priest. I like that I feel partly like a DPS, while still in a healing role.

This cause it's awesome to heal while helping your group in fights.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Not picking on anyone's spec lol.
Yeah, definitely burnout. I've healed as Disc through MSV, ToES, HoF, ToT, and now parts of SoO. I'm rocking Holy at the moment and it definitely is a lot more fun, for me, but I still have to deal with the guild that has a Holy priest already & recruited me to raid as Disc...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The alternative is to just stand there doing nothing when there's no raid damage. That doesn't seem fun either.
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Priest
Atonement is great and is central to disc and its one of those abilities that is easy to spam as well...its almost like you switch gears and get stuck there.

Given its mechanics it would be hard to keep atonement worth casting but also make it more of a standard tool in the toolkit.

It has to do with targeting I think.

Blizzards original design of having to hit 5 charges and then pop wings probably encouraged the spam too.

Perhaps in future, blizz will move even further away from the gheal and fheal etc for disc and focus on more discipline flavoured spells and mechanics and this might make things more diverse vis-à-vis atonement.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I went resto druid for the past few weeks just for a change up. If it's boring and you have to spam it, you just over gear, or are over-healing the content is all, imo.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
Disc needs one of two things, neither of which most Discs will like:

1) Complete redesign

2) Deletion/Conversion to DPS spec.

At the very least both Disc and Mistweavers need their damage capabilities severely gutted.

The absorbs Disc brings are simply to valuable to any raid type. Even if the throughput is bottom barrel (something it has not even been close to since 5.1... it's been godtier most of the expansion) they are STILL BASICALLY REQUIRED for progression because of how absorbs work. In any and all content lower than Heroic Progression (limited time, extremely small percent of the population) Disc (and to a lesser extent Paladin Mastery) are able to completely make useless other healers in any situation. That's so reasonable.

Let's not even bother getting into how Disc is in PVP for the last half of this expansion (though really PvP in MOP has been a tremendous joke so who really cares, right?).

At times, it is nice having a unique little snowflake. At others, that snowflake rolls down a hill, gathers a few thousand metric tons of other snow, and just streamrolls everyting in its path.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
The alternative is to just stand there doing nothing when there's no raid damage. That doesn't seem fun either.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I find healing in GENERAL is very boring when you're overhealing content or overgeared. Doesn't matter what healer I'd play, I'd still be bored. I need to be constantly thinking and reacting to find it engaging.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
I find healing in GENERAL is very boring when you're overhealing content or overgeared. Doesn't matter what healer I'd play, I'd still be bored. I need to be constantly thinking and reacting to find it engaging.
So basically walking into SoO. Healing requirements for this tier are so fubared compared to what a guild runs for a healing core, it's pretty irritating.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warlock
Boring? heh ... Atonement is pretty much the only reason I can tolerate healing on a priest. I tried Holy a couple of times and _that_ is boring.

Just spamming (over)heals without doing much more is a job for the rDruids.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
10/19/2013 12:06 PMPosted by Pandamonius
So basically walking into SoO. Healing requirements for this tier are so fubared compared to what a guild runs for a healing core, it's pretty irritating.

Yes. To an extent. My guild, imho, runs too many healers which makes it even more boring.

I came into the tier severly undergeared so in that respect, it was challenging the first week. Heroics have proven interesting but not overly challenging healing wise so far. Heroic Thok will be silly because Loldisc.

Hopefully next xpac will be more balanced healing wise. The scaling at the end of the tier for me has been silly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
When you switched from Disc to Holy, did you also re-set your gear or create another gear set that optimizes holy rather than disc? They like to focus on different main stats.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

Then maybe there should be more raid damage?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]