Question regarding Cataclysm and Battle Chest

90 Blood Elf Hunter
I am considering upgrading my second account (it is currently a free starter account) to the full version of WoW. I intended to upgrade to battle chest, then add MoP when I hit level cap. I was pleased to see that Cataclysm is now included in the battle chest bundle, however I also noticed that many retailers are still selling boxed copies of the Cataclysm expansion. My question is this: since Cataclysm is included in the battle chest now, will the Cataclysm CD key work the same as a battle chest CD key and activate all content through Cataclysm, or is the battle chest the only way to upgrade my starter account?
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Veleindine
since Cataclysm is included in the battle chest now, will the Cataclysm CD key work the same as a battle chest CD key and activate all content through Cataclysm,

No this will not work.

or is the battle chest the only way to upgrade my starter account

This is right. Only the battlechest will work. Now in contrast you can use any incarnation of a battle chest like one that only shows it coming with BC and it will upgrade you all the way to cataclysm.

Those stores should remove their worthless cataclysm boxes.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
10/23/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Veleindine
My question is this: since Cataclysm is included in the battle chest now, will the Cataclysm CD key work the same as a battle chest CD key

No, I'm afraid not, Veleindine. The Cataclysm expansion keys will not do anything now that it has been added to the basic World of Warcraft box, much like when we added Wrath of the Lich King the last time.

or is the battle chest the only way to upgrade my starter account?

The previously available "Battle Chest" version will work to upgrade a Starter Edition to a full account with all those expansions included. It may take a little while for stores to switch out those for the new World of Warcraft package but they will work the same.

You can also upgrade through the Account Management page or Blizzard Store, though the digital upgrade from trial to full version will take up to 72 hours for all trial restrictions to be lifted. Leveling restrictions are removed right away but those notifications are sometimes missed during the upgrade process so I like to warn before hand.

Stores tend to discount versions with older packaging (i.e. the Battle Chest version) though we often offer a bundle discount so if you were looking to upgrade to Mists of Pandaria in one go I'd check the pricing and see where you may get a better deal.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~

How's my driving? Click me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Thank you both for the quick, helpful responses. I suspected that this was the case.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
thus the battlechest with cata available in philppines?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]