Should a prot pally loot ret in lfr?

98 Blood Elf Paladin
Working on my second week of gearing and from what ive been reading its better to get a haste/crit then a dodge/parry piece so should i be looting for ret?
Edited by Bubbleicous on 10/29/2013 5:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
There's no real simple answer anymore. Yes, we are much more interested in "dps gear" than we are in "tank gear", except for crit+nonhaste items. So we do make a lot of use of the ret loot setting. However, you will need to set it to prot in order to get a 1h weapon, shield, as well as certain trinkets. Also last week they hotfixed it so that in LFR/Flex/bonus rolls in SoO (as well as from Ordos) prot pallies are eligible for nearly all of the non-crit dps gear (except for a few rings and trinkets I believe). So you can also just leave it on prot and be eligible for nearly everything, but you'd also run the risk of getting dodge/parry items too, so ret loot is still useful to narrow down what you can get.

The best answer is to look at what each boss drops for both loot specs and then choose which loot option to use for each boss on a boss to boss basis.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Items

Protection Paladins are now eligible to receive the following items with via personal loot (Raid Finder and Flexible difficulty) and bonus rolls (all difficulty modes).
Siege of Orgrimmar: Bubble-Burst Bracers, Corruption-Rotted Gauntlets, Darkfallen Shoulderplates, Demolisher's Reinforced Belt, Legplates of Unthinking Strife, Poisonbinder Girth, and Thranok's Shattering Helm.
Ordos: Magdalena's Murderous Crown, Partik's Purified Legplates, Remnar's Ruinous Girdle, Rossi's Rosin-Soaked Shoulderplates, and Vanguard's Burly Bracers.

This was from a hotfix update on the 23rd i think. Prot pallies are now able to loot dps plate gear that does not have crit on it from LFR
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This was from a hotfix update on the 23rd i think. Prot pallies are now able to loot dps plate gear that does not have crit on it from LFR

And it's a very bad idea to try to. Just take Immerseus. It now has 6 items, 2 of which are Haste for Prot. Has 3 items, 2 of which are the haste items in Ret.

Go Ret for Immerseus.

Same story for many bosses. Rings from Spoils/Siege are only available to Ret still, same for Thok's tail tip.

The hotfix doesn't make using Prot as a loot spec on these bosses better, it makes it less bad for people that just don't know how to Loot Spec dance.
Edited by Berith on 10/29/2013 9:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Paladin
barring the fact that I am needing to upgrade every single slot, some much more then others (embarrassing mh) are there any specific bosses that I absolutely should loot in prot spec because what they drop helps that much more or should i just go in a slot by slot basis?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
In most cases yes. I would say loot as Prot for:

Norushen (if you don't have a decent 1H)
Sha (if you don't have a shield)
Nazgrim (better shield)
Malkorok (Trinket)
Spoils (if you didn't get a shield from Sha/Nazgrim)
Siegecrafter (better 1H weapon)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In most cases yes. I would say loot as Prot for:

Norushen (if you don't have a decent 1H)
Sha (if you don't have a shield)
Nazgrim (better shield)
Malkorok (Trinket)
Spoils (if you didn't get a shield from Sha/Nazgrim)
Siegecrafter (better 1H weapon)

6 out of 14 is "Most cases" ? And Spoils/Siege have the Ret rings that aren't available to Prot too.

I'd say this is how I initially did it before having any drops :

1- Retribution
2- Retribution
3- Protection
4- Protection
5- Retribution
6- Retribution
7- Retribution (Haste boots, even with the crit on them).
8- Protection
9- Protection
10- Retribution (Ring), then Protection (rings with sockets and haste are rare, Shields aren't).
11- Retribution
12- Retribution (Ring), then Protection (rings with sockets and haste are rare, 1h aren't).
13- It all sucks
14- Retribution, though outside of LFR, stay Protection for BoAs.

Retribution is what you want "in most cases".
Edited by Berith on 10/30/2013 10:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
10/30/2013 10:04 AMPosted by Berith
6 out of 14 is "Most cases" ?
I think he meant "most cases" for those bosses, not "most cases" for the entire raid. IE "in most cases you should use prot-loot on Nazgrim".

14- Retribution, though outside of LFR, stay Protection for BoAs.
Are the boas limited by loot spec? I was under the impression that all specs of all classes are eligible for all boas off him. At least according to the dungeon journal it always lists all of the boas regardless of class/spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/30/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Pancakê
Are the boas limited by loot spec? I was under the impression that all specs of all classes are eligible for all boas off him.

First one is guaranteed to be for your spec. So you should go for Prot first..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
barring the fact that I am needing to upgrade every single slot, some much more then others (embarrassing mh) are there any specific bosses that I absolutely should loot in prot spec because what they drop helps that much more or should i just go in a slot by slot basis?

Trinket from rook is pretty good as a way to boost your sram when you need to and the on use is good for a lot of fights.

Trinket from Malk is awesome and you should definitely try to grab it.

The sword from Norushen is better then the mace from immerseus but the axe i think from siege crafter is best of all.

The shield from Nazgrim I think is pretty good but there are also shields from Sha and Spoils if you don't have one yet.

After that it's just mostly ret rolls.
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks guys that really helped out. I managed to grab a couple pieces last night and with my new ilvl hopefully can get into an oq flex. I actually got kicked last night at ironjug for not having "real" tank gear
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]