I think I solved LFRs Loot problems

100 Human Mage
The Problem
You're doing LFR, killing bosses and getting nothing but gold. Suddenly you get lucky and an item drops. Item is one you already have. You get nothing the rest of the day, you get pissed off and write angry post. Next week, you get mediocre upgrade, guy next to you gets three BIS auto-shooting the boss. You develop an aneurysm and stop playing.

The Solution
LFR Layaway Points.

How it Works
  • Each player starts with 0 points
  • Each player knows how many points they have (debatable, maybe leave it out to prevent abuse?)
  • Killing a boss grants X (maybe 10) points, but points cap out at Y (maybe 80)
  • You get bonus points the more active you are (Can't be AFK / Auto-shooting)
  • Each point gives you 1% chance at loot, 80 points means 80% chance
  • Points are separate for each Tier, old tier gives more points per boss
  • When boss dies, server does roll to determine if you get loot. If you have 40 points, that means 40% chance that boss will give you loot (separate roll for everybody based on their points)
  • Loot shows up as dialog which you can either take or ignore (you know what you're getting)
  • Ignore gives me gold instead and doesn't subtract points
  • Take gives me the item and subtracts my points
  • Each boss can grant points/loot once a week (i.e. no repeats, you take or pass on loot, that boss is done for the week)
  • No guarantee that next boss will drop item, or even an item you need (80% =/= 100%)
  • Players can "take" up to a maximum of X (maybe three) items per week

Why it's Good
  • You know what gear dropped, you get a say in whether or not you want it
  • Makes LFR fun knowing that you have a good chance at an item off the next boss
  • Gives some indication of when the player should expect loot (fun metagame, like coins)
  • Nothing makes you rage like getting the same item, this solves that.
  • Could be extended to support Flex, if it's still around next expansion

FAQ
  • All 25 players can get loot? Yes, but unlikely to happen (25 at 80%, do the math).
  • Some people will start strategizing? Yes, but they'll have fun doing it, it's only LFR.
  • Where is the RNG element? You still might not get your item to drop, you also don't know if it's going to drop at all.
  • "I don't like it", why? Please offer improvements and constructive criticism.

EDIT: This isn't a system to get guaranteed loot. Not sure why people are thinking it is...
Edited by Harko on 11/6/2013 2:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
actually I kinda like this lol gg
Reply Quote
99 Blood Elf Warlock
11/06/2013 01:32 PMPosted by Harko
you get pissed off and write angry

the real "problem" of LFR or loot drops in general.

There are some people so used to "Press Button, Rewarded" that if they don't get exactly what they want, they get angry, and boy will they tell you about it.

Getting angry, in a game, such is the world these days.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
11/06/2013 01:38 PMPosted by Rubedo
you get pissed off and write angry

There are some people so used to "Press Button, Rewarded" that if they don't get exactly what they want, they get angry, and boy will they tell you about it.

I feel a game should be fun to play, it's frustrating to have to spend several hours wiping only to get an item you already have. It doesn't have to be this way.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
The loot system is fine.

It gives out loot on a fair and balanced method. It only gets annoying and angering when you're trying to get loot for specific slots.
Reply Quote
99 Blood Elf Warlock
11/06/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Harko

I feel a game should be fun to play, it's frustrating to have to spend several hours wiping only to get an item you already have. It doesn't have to be this way.

The better question is, why get angry or even be frustrated about not getting an item you'll replace anyways.

Gear is temporary, always has, always will be.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
*tongue in cheek* why not just ... hit queue button... wait 45 minutes... watch an in-game movie... roll... loot or gold appears.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
My only issue with this is the cumulative rating up to 80%.

You're supposed to be running raids a few times each, and more if there's a specific piece of gear you're after. At an 80% chance of having it drop, you're almost (but not quite) guaranteeing that it will drop on the next run.

After that, the only reason to keep running that raid is to help a guildie gear up. I'd support a 50% chance at maximum... 80 seems to be a bit too much to keep people doing the content, though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage

The better question is, why get angry or even be frustrated about not getting an item you'll replace anyways.

Then what's the point of the game? Why play at all?
Reply Quote
99 Blood Elf Warlock

Then what's the point of the game? Why play at all?

Because it's fun!

And that damn turtle doesn't fish itself.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
*tongue in cheek* why not just ... hit queue button... wait 45 minutes... watch an in-game movie... roll... loot or gold appears.

I tried asking for a loot button in stormwind that you can press once a week. Didn't catch on, unfortunately.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
My only issue with this is the cumulative rating up to 80%.

You're supposed to be running raids a few times each, and more if there's a specific piece of gear you're after. At an 80% chance of having it drop, you're almost (but not quite) guaranteeing that it will drop on the next run.

After that, the only reason to keep running that raid is to help a guildie gear up. I'd support a 50% chance at maximum... 80 seems to be a bit too much to keep people doing the content, though.

These values are placeholders, it's something that Blizzard would have to play with.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
The loot system is fine.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
you can
only run once a week
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
The idea of the system is to improve when/how you get loot. It's rather annoying getting an item repeatedly, this allows for those odds to increase while still having an element of RNG to it. The percentage of loot dropping can be debated but it should never be too close to 100% or so low that it doesn't make you feel like you'll ever win anything.

It gives power to the player a bit more, you'll still see that same belt drop but now you can choose to save that "roll" for another item instead. It also adds incentive for people to queue wings which they no longer have use for (more people in the queue pool). You can claim that's just as much good as it is bad as people will AFK the boss and that's fine. There's an easy fix for that (activity time without auto swing/shot/wand), I'm sure Blizzard's aware of it to but people will literally unsubscribe if they are forced to play the game actively pushing buttons (no joke, people pay to not play these days).
Reply Quote
How is this different from the justice point/valor point system they had in Cataclysm? Which, btw is FAR FAR FAR superior to the justice/valor system of today.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
RNG is fine, it's the carrot that keeps you playing. If you knew that you were guaranteed to get X item after Y runs, then why would you run the place again after the Y number was reached?

It's a way to prolong content so then people aren't screaming at the moon that their 100th alt is geared up and they're bored to death...
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
How is this different from the justice point/valor point system they had in Cataclysm? Which, btw is FAR FAR FAR superior to the justice/valor system of today.

You're still not guaranteed loot, you can stack up this layaway for a week or 2 and still have a maximum of 60% (vs. 80% in the OP) of seeing loot. You're still not guaranteed to win loot off that desired boss of yours and also not guaranteed to see the item you want off that boss even if you roll loot.

The problem with the old Cata system is it handed out gear freely. I think it's dumb to go from fresh 85 to Firelands ilvl in a weekend (I did it in 3 days), you put everyone who did only normal firelands to shame in 3 days of new content coming out. Timeless isle is at least 496, 2 full tiers behind and occasionally provides you with 535 all of which have completely random stats.
Edited by Quntez on 11/6/2013 2:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
The solution, like it is to most WoW problems, is to just not worry about loot. Play the game and enjoy the fun with your friends and guildmates. We're all going to be back in greens soon enough anywa. :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
RNG is fine, it's the carrot that keeps you playing. If you knew that you were guaranteed to get X item after Y runs, then why would you run the place again after the Y number was reached?

It's a way to prolong content so then people aren't screaming at the moon that their 100th alt is geared up and they're bored to death...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]