You're doing LFR, killing bosses and getting nothing but gold. Suddenly you get lucky and an item drops. Item is one you already have. You get nothing the rest of the day, you get pissed off and write angry post. Next week, you get mediocre upgrade, guy next to you gets three BIS auto-shooting the boss. You develop an aneurysm and stop playing.
LFR Layaway Points.
How it Works
- Each player starts with 0 points
- Each player knows how many points they have (debatable, maybe leave it out to prevent abuse?)
- Killing a boss grants X (maybe 10) points, but points cap out at Y (maybe 80)
- You get bonus points the more active you are (Can't be AFK / Auto-shooting)
- Each point gives you 1% chance at loot, 80 points means 80% chance
- Points are separate for each Tier, old tier gives more points per boss
- When boss dies, server does roll to determine if you get loot. If you have 40 points, that means 40% chance that boss will give you loot (separate roll for everybody based on their points)
- Loot shows up as dialog which you can either take or ignore (you know what you're getting)
- Ignore gives me gold instead and doesn't subtract points
- Take gives me the item and subtracts my points
- Each boss can grant points/loot once a week (i.e. no repeats, you take or pass on loot, that boss is done for the week)
- No guarantee that next boss will drop item, or even an item you need (80% =/= 100%)
- Players can "take" up to a maximum of X (maybe three) items per week
Why it's Good
- You know what gear dropped, you get a say in whether or not you want it
- Makes LFR fun knowing that you have a good chance at an item off the next boss
- Gives some indication of when the player should expect loot (fun metagame, like coins)
- Nothing makes you rage like getting the same item, this solves that.
- Could be extended to support Flex, if it's still around next expansion
- All 25 players can get loot? Yes, but unlikely to happen (25 at 80%, do the math).
- Some people will start strategizing? Yes, but they'll have fun doing it, it's only LFR.
- Where is the RNG element? You still might not get your item to drop, you also don't know if it's going to drop at all.
- "I don't like it", why? Please offer improvements and constructive criticism.
EDIT: This isn't a system to get guaranteed loot. Not sure why people are thinking it is...