Sub numbers - Am I the only one not to care?

90 Human Warlock
A lot of threads in this forum are about the sub numbers (and no, this isn't making a new thread about threads I hate. This topic could be construed as derailing one of those threads.) Typically, it's done to assert that subs are down because of whatever factor the OP personally dislikes (but keeps playing despite that), which is of course silly.

But me, as long as there's a decent number of people on my server and WoW is in no imminent danger of closing, I ask why I should care about sub numbers. It doesn't really affect my game whether 12 million people total are playing or 7 million, and I would honestly make the case that the main two reasons out there for the sub loss are:

A. The game is nearly 9 years old, and has already passed the shelf life of a lot of other games.

B. The economy has been terrible for a while now, and there are lots of forms of entertainment that don't require a monthly fee.

Blizzard can't do anything about either. (Except going F2P on the 2nd item, which I hope they don't.)

So am I missing something that concerns other people regarding sub numbers? Or is it just a convenient way for someone to put their arguments into other people's mouths?
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
You're not alone, its just that the doomsayers are vocal and so appear to be numerous (vocal minority sort of thing).

A lot of people just compare the number today to the peak of years ago, without factoring in a number of things, including what you listed. The fact that the game still has several million subscribers when its nearly a decade old...

Honestly, the numbers WoW had at its peak should not be seen as the norm, it should be seen as an anomaly, unsustainable. It was great, to be sure, but it was a complete fluke that wouldn't last no matter what they did.

But some people can't look beyond the whole "X number is larger than Y, therefore the game is dying."
Reply Quote
18 Orc Rogue
Subs are down because in the last quarter the game has aged another 3 months. Subs will continue to be lost as the game gets older.

What Blizzard needs to do is stop the game from getting any older, and somehow freeze time now.

Unfortunately that won't happen and the game will continue to slowly lose subs over the next 5-10 years until the game eventually goes f2p and Blizzard turns it's attention to their next big idea.

in the mean time, don't worry about sub numbers and keep playing because you enjoy it.
Edited by Rude on 11/7/2013 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
7.6 million is still 7 million more than any other MMO. imo. I agree with you OP..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
As long as they keep quality content, I don't really care what the sub levels are. With connected realms, our gameplay won't have to suffer when players start leaving.

When the subs were high, it's not like they reinvested all that cash into the game. They used that cash cow for other developments or for investor returns. Not really caring about the numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yes. You're literally the only person who sees this whole situation logically. The only one.
Reply Quote
I'll stay as long as they can keep my attention. And since my sub just recently flipped over I'll certainly be here for the next 6 months.
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
7.6 million is still 7 million more than any other MMO. imo. I agree with you OP..

6.1 million more, if the new subscriber numbers (1.5 million) of Final Fantasy 15 are to be believed (they'll also shrink before too long, I imagine).
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Yes. You're literally the only person who sees this whole situation logically. The only one.

I've long suspected such. After all, that's how it is on the Gnome issue...
Reply Quote
18 Orc Rogue
11/07/2013 09:26 AMPosted by Gunstarr
7.6 million is still 7 million more than any other MMO.

Did you mean subscription based MMO per chance because I can guarantee there are a ton of MMO's with higher numbers then WoW, just a lot of them are f2p with cash shops.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
11/07/2013 09:33 AMPosted by Rude
7.6 million is still 7 million more than any other MMO.

Did you mean subscription based MMO per chance because I can guarantee there are a ton of MMO's with higher numbers then WoW, just a lot of them are f2p with cash shops.

prove it.

if you can't, you have to post on your main for now on.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I only care in the sense that if they drop too low there won't be any incentive for Blizz to keep the game going.

But other than that I really don't care if the subs are 3million or 12million. For me as a player I just need content and people to play it with.

I don't care if the rest of the interwebs only played WOW when it was a fad and now think its stupid. I'm not playing WOW because its cool or a fad or the hot new game. I play it because I love the world and the content and its fun to me.

So the only reason I care about subs is to know there are enough for Blizz to keep the game going.
Reply Quote
Ill bet money that when they reintroduce the whole demon theme again it will rake in a ton of subs.
Reply Quote
My only concern with declining subs is what blizzard might do to entice more players. If they make drastic changes to bring subs back up or otherwise subsidize the loss in revenue, they run the serious risk of alienating their current base.

So long as blizzard doesn't do anything radical to stem sub losses, I also agree that the declining trend is not a major issue and that WoW can still be a great game whether it has 3 million subs or 10 million. Even a couple million remaining would still far exceed blizzard's initial projections for WoW's success.
Reply Quote
18 Orc Rogue
prove it.

if you can't, you have to post on your main for now on.

Runescape had more then 200million free accounts and 10million registered accounts
World of Tanks I know has 45 million accounts
League of Legends 32 million different players logging in every month.

Those are the first 3 that come to mind because I still play around in those games.
Reply Quote
I don't care that much about the sub numbers, and I don't care if WoW goes f2p, but you have to know that losing revenue will make bean counters twitch.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I only care in the sense that if they drop too low there won't be any incentive for Blizz to keep the game going.

But other than that I really don't care if the subs are 3million or 12million. For me as a player I just need content and people to play it with.

I don't care if the rest of the interwebs only played WOW when it was a fad and now think its stupid. I'm not playing WOW because its cool or a fad or the hot new game. I play it because I love the world and the content and its fun to me.

So the only reason I care about subs is to know there are enough for Blizz to keep the game going.

Summed up how I feel too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I don't care that much about the sub numbers, and I don't care if WoW goes f2p, but you have to know that losing revenue will make bean counters twitch.

Now I could totally see being concerned with sub numbers if you worked for Blizzard or owned Blizzard stock.

It wouldn't make it really all that relevant to this board, but the concern would make sense.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]