[Prot] I feel like I get hit way too hard.

90 Human Paladin
Hi all.

So this week, my guild couldn't kill Garrosh, unfortunately. Every second week the healers and I always notice I am getting hit like an absolute truck. Like, 300k per hit on Garrosh. I honestly feel like I'm a bad player because of this.

I feel like I should have 100% eternal flame uptime but there are two problems for me with this...
1) I have low (imo) haste, which means getting 5 bastion of glory stacks means I won't have EF up AT ALL for 5+ seconds.
2) I sometimes know that I'm going to get hit hard, so I'll save those 5 stacks (without an active EF up) - for 10 or so seconds, until I get hit, and then use it to get me back up.

Both of these factors mean I seem to have low EF uptime. What are your thoughts on this?

Secondly, my rotation is mainly to get 3 holy power, and SoTR every time I'm at 3. I do this to build 5 stacks of bastion. When I'm at 5 stacks and 3 holy power, I pop Eternal Flame.

When I know I'm going to take a big hit, I use my cooldowns. During Garrosh's aoe whirl i'll use my trinket, etc. I feel like garrosh is a hard fight to know when to use cooldowns on, because he doesn't have that many mechanics, he just hits like a truck, which makes it hard to use CD's effectively.

Here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blackrock/Anteara/simple

Here is our logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/hfipumniblsypoic/
These are from tonight.

I don't know what I can do to make myself better in terms of damage taken and healing needed.
I really need help with this, because I feel like I'm holding my guild back if I can't improve this.

Thanks.
Edited by Anteara on 11/11/2013 5:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
From what I can see, you don't have the greatest haste which if improved would mean a lot more holy power. Honestly this can be fixed pretty easily. Swap out one of your trinkets for Spark of Zandalar and start prioritising haste gear more as you have a lot of dodge and parry stuff. Of course getting the 4 piece would help a lot with this but then that's just up to luck. Regardless Garrosh does just hit like a truck and it's just something you have to put up with.

My guild is also on Garrosh atm and the only problems I seem to have is if I aoe at all I pull all the adds and get one shotted. But then if my other tank has every add on him he gets killed as well.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Secondly, my rotation is mainly to get 3 holy power, and SoTR every time I'm at 3. I do this to build 5 stacks of bastion. When I'm at 5 stacks and 3 holy power, I pop Eternal Flame.
This is a very common misconception. You should be waiting on SotR until you have 5hp.

This will NOT affect how many stacks of BoG you get or how fast you get them.

You build up to 5 at the start of the fight. Then you spend 3 on SotR. Then you generate 3 more to get yourself back to 5. Then you spend 3. Then you generate 3. Then you spend 3, then you generate 3, etc.

See the pattern? It's exactly the same as your current rotation, except that you'll always have 2 extra hp on hand for emergencies (ie it's possible for you to use 2 back-to-back SotR's if necessary).

As far as the EF usage questions. I believe that EF uptime is a bit more important than using maximum BoGs. Unless that downtime is when you're not currently tanking then you're probably better off having a 4BoG EF ticking on you instead of letting it off while he's punching you in the face. Likewise it's probably not the best idea to let EF drop for 10+ seconds just to save it to use as an emergency WoG.

Another suggestion, is that you're probably better off using Divine Purpose instead of Holy Avenger for that fight (assuming that you don't already change for that, just going by your current talents). The procs help immensely with getting 5 BoGs before you need to refresh EF, often times you'll find yourself with 5 stacks when you still have 5~15 seconds left on EF leaving you with the option to EF early for the free base heal or saving until it's time to refresh it (or if you need that free base heal sometime in the middle).

HA is great, you're virtually invincible while it's up (and for a while after), but then you're left with a relative "dry spell" until it's up again. And for a fight where tanks swap every minute or so it's great since you can line that "dry period" up with when you're not tanking But for a fight like Garrosh where he's hitting you hard all the time, having the more spread out benefit of DP is better than having that dry period between HAs.

I was a diehard HA fan for the longest time as well, had tried DP last tier but for some reason didn't like the feel of it. Tried it again this tier and OMG, I don't know what I was thinking before.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/11/2013 04:46 PMPosted by Pancakê
Another suggestion, is that you're probably better off using Divine Purpose instead of Holy Avenger

hehe, come on HA owns for that fight. I tank it all on p1 on 25N. I know some of yall dont like HA, but its fun sometimes 8<)

edit: though i personally veng tank it, its more fun that way.
Edited by Rubert on 11/11/2013 5:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/11/2013 04:58 PMPosted by Rubert
Another suggestion, is that you're probably better off using Divine Purpose instead of Holy Avenger

hehe, come on HA owns for that fight. I tank it all on p1 on 25N. I know some of yall dont like HA, but its fun sometimes 8<)

edit: though i personally veng tank it, its more fun that way.

HA is only good for solotanking p1. In p2/3, you waste ~half of the SoTR uptime from it during the other tank's time tanking. DP is much more useful for having better SoTR uptime while you're actually tanking.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]