Warlords of Garrisons

100 Worgen Hunter
Just to bring some rationality to this mess of frothing mad people.

Blizz has shown us in MoP that they are trying to move to a better method of storytelling, the Pandaria reveal never mentioned the old god y'shaarj, the complexities of the mantid race, their betrayal of us after we spent the opening patches helping them. The burdens of Shaohao, the story of the monkey king, the enslavement, rebellion and triumph of the Pandaren society.

This is the 9th year of WoW, their storytelling has only gotten better and them not revealing every plot twist and nuance of the expac in a preliminary reveal doesn't mean that the expac is filler or the story is bad. The fact that 90% of the complaints in this thread stem from misunderstanding caused by ignorance of lore or straight up unwillingness to read would be hilarious, if there weren't people being convinced by the "sky is falling lore is dead" naysayers.

Yes one of the promotional pieces of art focused on the warlords of the orc clans, this does not mean they are the only characters in the expansion. (Most of them are gonna die anyway) And yes there is a lack of powerful female characters in lore, but that concern is better expressed in a separate thread from people saying that WoW has jumped the shark because they can't wrap their heads around a new concept.

This game has been going strong for 9+ years and even at its worst (cata heh) it's still far better in terms of daring and scope and execution than anything else we've seen. All the indicators point to Warlords of Draenor being their most ambitious expansion to date.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Death Knight
You are going to get to experience the Draenei's real culture, history, and heroes among many others.

Was considering canceling my sub for Aion, but now you just given me a reason to keep playing :)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
when it comes to the Burning legion and wrathion.....

I'd like to point out that from what Wrathion says of the war he wanted, it would have taken a long time for the Alliance to defeat the Horde, and longer still for them to recover and be a united azeroth....so likely he wasnt expecting the Legion for a few years yet, otherwise his plan would have had the legion get here with the Horde gone and the Alliance weaker than ever.

Not to mention the fact is that he is worried for azeroth cus he lives there, and his species can live for over 20 thousand years before they are middle aged (Krasus was young during war of the ancients, and not necessarily old when he died)....

So he kinda has to ensure that his planet is here for that time. So he could be thinking the Legion wont arrive for 100 years and it would still be something he wants to avoid.

I dont think that is his expectation, but one needs to put this in perspective.
Reply Quote
So...

Where did Wrathion go?

Why did you scrap the Burning Legion despite all of the chatter about their return?

Why did BlizzCon offer so little about actual content and instead focus mainly on Garrisons?

I gotta say, I am not really all that thrilled about another filler expansion that is more or less just a huge patch with new features.

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Wrathion. Keep in mind (not saying this is related to Wrathion btw) that the story bits you've seen are just one part of the expansion's story. There will be plenty more that you'll get to experience. You are going to get to experience the Draenei's real culture, history, and heroes among many others.

There's a ton of new content as well. Garrisons is a new piece of content, as is the new PvP zone, Trial of the Gladiator is completely new and there are a ton of quality of life improvements. Not to mention all of the new (completely new from the ground up) zones, creatures, quests, story lines and much much more.

This next expansion is definitely not filler. It always makes me a bit sad when I see people who say things like this, but we'll do our best to help you see the light with more information releases as we go along.

If nothing else let me say thank you. I love infinite universe and alternate reality stories. Those "what if" moments can be very memorable. I'm very much looking forward to the expansion and the story it will tell. Thank you and the all the people at Blizzard for the work you guys do. I may not agree with every decision but I've had fun for nine years playing WoW, though I do take a break or two here and there; but I love the game and I can't wait for Warlords to come out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Wrathion. Keep in mind (not saying this is related to Wrathion btw) that the story bits you've seen are just one part of the expansion's story. There will be plenty more that you'll get to experience. You are going to get to experience the Draenei's real culture, history, and heroes among many others.

There's a ton of new content as well. Garrisons is a new piece of content, as is the new PvP zone, Trial of the Gladiator is completely new and there are a ton of quality of life improvements. Not to mention all of the new (completely new from the ground up) zones, creatures, quests, story lines and much much more.

Oh well... with all the respect and stuff.... we shall have: 1 - An ENTIRE WORLD and 2: Built in the P-A-S-T.

It's not a raid, it's not a dungeon, it's not a quest.... it's a !@#$ing BIG world in the past. Sorry but, even with "current" storyline, nothing will ever change the fact that you spent a lot of effort making a new world with new events.... in->the->past. Can you see the difference? I know we will probably have things going on in the present, but GOSH, all the expansion WILL bring the events to the NEW world in a way or another, it's how it works right? We have to USE the new world, that is in the PAST. I don't know if the intention was to bring new warcraft movie fans to wow, or to prolong the end of wow era (where's Titan?) but sorry, this expansion IS filler, even with all Blizzard guys denying it.
Edited by Arcanja on 11/12/2013 8:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
70 Human Priest
So...

Where did Wrathion go?

Why did you scrap the Burning Legion despite all of the chatter about their return?

Why did BlizzCon offer so little about actual content and instead focus mainly on Garrisons?

I gotta say, I am not really all that thrilled about another filler expansion that is more or less just a huge patch with new features.

Nailed it.

Prob is the new Devs don't know the difference between content and filler. Literally got to that third sentence and was like -- because they think filler is content -- and then your 4th sentence simply nails it.

Not to mention that we get to sit through another expansion of horde-based story. Yea, yea, Draenor, Draenei, etc. This expansion is about the Iron Horde and all of the legendary Orc leaders from years long past--this time with Garrisons!

I bet the boost to 90 perk is so that Alliance players can get a level 90 horde ASAP to experience the expansion to its fullest potential.

The more I read about "What's Next" the more disinterested I become. Perhaps the best course is to simply take a hiatus until the Burning Legion actually returns.
Edited by Angelatore on 11/12/2013 8:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

Seriously though, watching them roll out 10 main characters and having them all be men is disappointing. Maybe that works for the testosterone filled 18-24 male age group, but please remember that many of your players are women and men who appreciate a diversified story with actual female characters.

Blizzard has always done a fair job of this, so the 10 main characters highlighted being all male felt very 2003 and out of touch for 2013.

And frankly it's just boring to have the whole expansion be a sausage-festival.

I don't really understand your comment it feels like 2003 instead of 2013, and frankly believe you are just throwing around opinions as fact.

Low testosterone males don't want to see female characters pushed in their faces just to make a minority of people happy either. I would imagine they use characters when it makes sense and not based on some type of gender entitlement. I for one am really looking forward to finally seeing the Orc leaders from Warcraft in WoW.
Reply Quote
One thing I would like to say after having read 5 pages.... while Humans and Orcs have the most lore (which they would being the original races Warcraft was based on in the first place) Trolls, Elves (Both kinds), Dwarves/Earthen, The Forsaken, & Pandaren have had Tons of Lore now......

Worgen can pretty much be lumped in with Humans since They Are Humans except for their curse which has been Fully Explored. The Goblins also have a pretty healthy amount of Lore, and I don't just mean the Bilgewater.... If we ever have a Maelstrom expansion we can probably have the remnants of Kezan showing up too, maybe the Bilgewater bailed too soon. x)

The Tauren while less so than the Goblins still have a pretty good amount of Lore, from Vanilla, Warcraft 3, the Taunka & Yaungol, their Paladins & Druids, the texts behind Hamuul in Thunder Bluff, their outposts through Kalimdor, the Dawnchaser Tribe & their expedition to Pandaria, as well as Magatha & her tribe we have a pretty good idea of who the Tauren are, what they're up to, and where they come from. (We Definitely need to find out what Magatha is up to next D: that was a pretty open ended ending with her in Thousand Needles.)

The Two Races that really Need the Love are the Draenei who will now have 2 Expansions under their belt, & the Gnomes (Despite the requisition of part of Gnomeregan & learning of their origins as Mechagnomes.... which makes one wonder, why do we have so many Mechagnome Battle Pets?)
Edited by Majia on 11/12/2013 9:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
70 Human Priest

Seriously though, watching them roll out 10 main characters and having them all be men is disappointing. Maybe that works for the testosterone filled 18-24 male age group, but please remember that many of your players are women and men who appreciate a diversified story with actual female characters.

Blizzard has always done a fair job of this, so the 10 main characters highlighted being all male felt very 2003 and out of touch for 2013.

And frankly it's just boring to have the whole expansion be a sausage-festival.

I don't really understand your comment it feels like 2003 instead of 2013, and frankly believe you are just throwing around opinions as fact.

Low testosterone males don't want to see female characters pushed in their faces just to make a minority of people happy either. I would imagine they use characters when it makes sense and not based on some type of gender entitlement. I for one am really looking forward to finally seeing the Orc leaders from Warcraft in WoW.

The post you are quoting is a spam form a different thread and is entirely off-topic here. If you would like to discuss that topic please go to his other thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10497100094?page=1
Edited by Angelatore on 11/12/2013 9:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
96 Undead Mage
I'm a big Forsaken fan myself

This is the only thing that makes me feel kind of "meh" about the expansion, it looks really good and i'm really excited for the new Undead models I hope we look amazing! But I just don't see how Undeads and many of the other races fit into this expansion.. Even though you consider Wotlk an expansion for Undeads every race had just as much a reason to participate in the story. You said this is a way for the Horde to better understand our history.. at this time all Forsaken were their original selves.. You rule out the Goblins, Undead, Troll and a few others. The Alliance I can understand its a chance at the Old Horde and the Orcs learn of their history. I dunno just as someone who really is a Lore fan i'm both excited and disheartened by the new expansion.. Just my view anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Valid concern and I can address that only a little right now, but it's worth noting that there are plans for some female characters as well. Historically the clan chiefs are all male, so I can see how with the announcement video that it looks very male heavy. But, there will be female characters that will have their time as well. I'm not going to say 50/50 or equal time since I'm not privy to the specifics right now and wouldn't want to spoil anything anyway, but I can say that the designers are working on it. I don't know how much was covered by [url="http://www.applecidermage.com/"]Applecidermage[/url] when she spoke with quest designer Helen Cheng but from speaking to her (and she's someone that's been critical of this herself), she seemed pretty happy about what she's heard.

If you can't tell, I like Paladins (have this BE and my Dwarfadin), and I like Blood Elves.

There's this female matriarch I haven't seen in a few expansions...might be a good candidate for a female character doing stuff. :) I speak, of course, of Lady Liadrin! I heard some rumors about Paladin lore in WoD...might be an interesting time to see her return from whatever abyss she got lost in the last time she went through the portal after talking to Adal in Shatrath four years ago... ;)
Reply Quote
97 Human Rogue
So...

Where did Wrathion go?

MoP was not filler. Garrisons are not "filler".
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Koltira has been under Undercity for an entire EP, and Thassarian has been looking for him. Surely he'll be found by WoD?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
They have plans to bring the burning legion down on Draenor..... duh. It's already in the history of the game, they just haven't announced that part of it yet to spoil it.... duh.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Valid concern and I can address that only a little right now, but it's worth noting that there are plans for some female characters as well. Historically the clan chiefs are all male, so I can see how with the announcement video that it looks very male heavy. But, there will be female characters that will have their time as well. I'm not going to say 50/50 or equal time since I'm not privy to the specifics right now and wouldn't want to spoil anything anyway, but I can say that the designers are working on it. I don't know how much was covered by Applecidermage when she spoke with quest designer Helen Cheng but from speaking to her (and she's someone that's been critical of this herself), she seemed pretty happy about what she's heard.

If M:tG had the Balduvian Chieftan as a woman who earned her position through bloodshed in a predominantly man-run barbaric clan, and if / since Blizzard writes new lore all of the time, not having a woman in WoD who smashes faces just because the writers for WC - WC2 did not have one at the time is lazy, imo.

Make a killer lady with a focus on cleaving, not cleavage.
Edited by Necrosís on 11/13/2013 2:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Well, I know Blizz is catching some flak for whatever reasons, but all I can say is WoW is a fabulous game. It can be bothersome at times to play, or frustrating, but all in all, I haven't seen a MMORPG anywhere that even comes close to comparing to this game. Anywhere. It doesn't exist.

No matter what direction Blizz chooses to take their game, I will likely still be paying and playing, at least until they reach the end of their story line. Did I like panda race? Not exactly, I thought cuddly panda bears were hardly worthy of epic combat situations. But the land itself, and the villains involved, along with the ability to have my own personal space to farm mats more than made up for the hokey panda bears posing as epic warriors, etc. The raids...I mean come on...ya got to take out Garrosh. That was worth the price of admission by itself.

Blizz, keep up the good work, looking forward to next xpac.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Getting some? We're going to their HOME. We get to get up close and intimate with who they are, what they're about, their lore, their, struggles, their triumphs, their defeats. We get to find out so much more about them (plus no one crashes a space ship.) Are you sure you're ready for it?

Reading this passage actually changes a lot of the outlook I have for this expansion in a very positive way. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]