Warlords of Garrisons

14 Blood Elf Mage
ya I was kinda sad no burning legion was even saying that i'd be quieting wow if unless it was but from what I've seen I might give it a chance once we see more. ANd I don't mean I'd quit BECAUSE of the expack I've been playing since 2006 so ya...... :|
Reply Quote
76 Human Monk
Anything that doesn't progress the story is filler. And virtually every EVERY EVERY tv show that involves timetravel is a filler. Pandaria was fun but it was a filler. The story did not progress. The races were cool, lands were awesome, but the story was still a filler. Pandaria can be summed up into one short sentence. Horde gets a new warchief. And yet stormwind still burns, the story from deathwing has not advanced at all. In fact, deathwing was hardly a story simply because its like....uhh random big dragon comes in and destroys everything(I know deathwing from wc2 but still...he was a minor subplot). Wrath and TBC its like ok here are some key characters that you really know.

How did pandaria affect azeroth as a whole? Aside for the new race which is great, not much.

INCOMING TEXT WALL!
Deathwing advanced the plot a ton, not only was he a MAJOR lore character with a long story of deception and betrayals, but his destruction of the world is what caused horde and alliance to go into an all out war to scavenge the resources of a ruined azeroth. This war escalated from bombings to genocides all across the world, which took us to MoP where the horde really went into crisis mode as the power hungry, war-mongering garrosh bombed theramore, causing Jaina to change her views on the horde (espcially after being betrayed). While Thrall discovered more about himself, Varian has started to learn a lesson or two from his son Anduin about wisdom and peacekeeping. And despite animosities, the horde and alliance worked together to take out the tyrant leader Garrosh who brought strife even on Pandaria. This story is now spilling over into the next xpac because the defeated Garrosh escaped custody to traverse whole different dimensions and timelines just to unleash his hatred on our current world and bring his vision upon Azeroth - Thus, the Iron Horde and WoD. (we also get more draenei plot!!)

Claiming deathwing was just some random dragon is silly since none of the plot was advanced before cataclysm. All we did was killed memorable lore villains that were lined up for us. Sure, you could say Arthas did something like his death making way for a new Lich King, but when you think about it; none of that so far has affected us(as of now) and the same could be said about BC. All that happened was a bad guy died. You guys fail to understand that plot advancement IS NOT returning villains from reign of chaos/frozen throne. Blizzard has to make NEW story in order to advance it. This is what they are doing. You only have so much lore from the WC3 era before you need to make new storylines and Blizzard knows this.

As far as a burning legion expansion (and this bit goes out to everybody) just because wrathion hinted at it doesnt mean it'll be the next x-pac; i mean think about it - he sure did hint at it, but for it to come out immediately would be too soon just because of subtle doomsaying. The blue said we will hopefully see Wrathion sometime in WoDand if that's true then there are ALOT of great plot points that can be made. I think this x-pac will go more in-depths on Wrathion's predictions and maybe after we discover more about this "burning legion pt 2" THEN the burning legion will come back next x-pac. I think people just fantasized about it waay too much and tried to predict the future.

Now this is a question for the blues in the house that i wish i could've asked at blizzcon: After you kill garrosh and the cutscene ends, when you talk to Varian he speaks of setting up barracks by theramore and re-taking Gilneas, (that's even MORE potential plot advancement btw guys!) will we see this in the x-pac, or anytime soon for that matter?
Edited by Koshun on 11/11/2013 1:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin

This is part-and-parcel of a new expansion and certainly would expect nothing less. I've always found the expansions offer tons of new zones, quests, etc. The critique here is that the tone of the game seemed to be shifting in a very obvious direction, but it seems like it was scrapped last-second for Warlords. Based on the presentation--what are the raids, who are the bosses, what is the lore, what story does the cinematic tell--it almost seems like you were not prepared to reveal a new expansion at BlizzCon.

P.S. - I don't mean to make you sad. As you know, the game has a pretty passionate following.

Nothing was built and then "scrapped at the last second" in fact, from what I know, the developers have been working on a lot of this plus more (future more) very very hard. If you read [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/11499600/"]this blog[/url] (if you didn't see the live stream) by Bashiok, you can read more of the dungeons and Raids that are planned. The "Warlords of Draenor: The Adventure continues" panel live stream also went more into the story and who you're going to see and meet there (the original warchiefs like Grommash, Durotan etc.)

The trailer shown for the announcement is more of a tease, but if you look at the main image, those are all orc warchiefs that those familiar with the original Warcraft RTS will readily recognize. This is a chance for the Alliance to take the initiative and go after the Iron Horde and it's a chance for the Horde as it is now to rediscover who they are and what they're about. The story is about YOU as a hero as well, facing down an incredibly powerful and dangerous foe in order to protect Azeroth as it is today.

It seems that there's still a lot of information that you're missing and if you didn't get the live-stream or don't plan to, might I also suggest spending some time reading the articles on our various fansites and listening to their podcasts? (We'll try to gather as many of them together for you as we can to help too.) I think that might help you understand a bit more about our plans.

As always, this is just the start of things and as development progresses, ideas, and implementation of those ideas may change, but we'll try to share as much as we can as we go along for you.

I must admit the whole garrison thing could have been cool but bliz just flat out got it wrong again... I would much rather see a GUILD garrison. Would it not be completely awesome if your garrison was attacked by random bosses/mobs and had to be defended by your guild. I picture huge armies of gnolls charging your gates or some random rock giant eating your walls... Make the events random and give some world loot for defeating it, or suffer thru massive costly rebuilds if you cant.

Much like the farm was a first step, consider this another step. People kept asking for player housing and we had to find a way to make it truly a part of Warcraft and not just a place to collect dust bunnies. This is what we've come up with. Could guild structures be something that comes about eventually? It just might. Not getting something now doesn't mean it's not possible some time in the future. It may just happen. We didn't just come up with Garrisons overnight. It took time, planning, thought, and technology to all come together. It's a great addition and you'll still be able to bring your friends and guildies into it to visit and maybe even show off your elite Garrison planning skills. ;)

Wait...we're actually getting Draenei Lore? I thought that didn't exist?

Getting some? We're going to their HOME. We get to get up close and intimate with who they are, what they're about, their lore, their, struggles, their triumphs, their defeats. We get to find out so much more about them (plus no one crashes a space ship.) Are you sure you're ready for it?

Sounds like it's time to roll a Dreneai.
Reply Quote
Community Manager

Not a retcon and technically you're correct, it's not their original home, but it's a home that they made their own complete with culture and history. So, you're right on one level and not right on another. They've had several homes, this one though is a pretty big one for them.

Wrath of the Lich King was more than a story of the Forsaken, so I'll disagree (on a personal level) that they had theirs. ;)

While we're discussing the story of WoD, here's something my wife seriously asked me after watching many of the panels:

"Are they going to have a heroic scenario where we discover the secret location that Blizzard is stashing all their female leads for WoD and free them?"

Seriously though, watching them roll out 10 main characters and having them all be men is disappointing. Maybe that works for the testosterone filled 18-24 male age group, but please remember that many of your players are women and men who appreciate a diversified story with actual female characters.

Blizzard has always done a fair job of this, so the 10 main characters highlighted being all male felt very 2003 and out of touch for 2013.

And frankly it's just boring to have the whole expansion be a sausage-festival.

Valid concern and I can address that only a little right now, but it's worth noting that there are plans for some female characters as well. Historically the clan chiefs are all male, so I can see how with the announcement video that it looks very male heavy. But, there will be female characters that will have their time as well. I'm not going to say 50/50 or equal time since I'm not privy to the specifics right now and wouldn't want to spoil anything anyway, but I can say that the designers are working on it. I don't know how much was covered by Applecidermage when she spoke with quest designer Helen Cheng but from speaking to her (and she's someone that's been critical of this herself), she seemed pretty happy about what she's heard.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I must admit the whole garrison thing could have been cool but bliz just flat out got it wrong again... I would much rather see a GUILD garrison. Would it not be completely awesome if your garrison was attacked by random bosses/mobs and had to be defended by your guild. I picture huge armies of gnolls charging your gates or some random rock giant eating your walls... Make the events random and give some world loot for defeating it, or suffer thru massive costly rebuilds if you cant.

They got nothing wrong. This could very easily move to that time where we CAN have guild garrisons, you can't expect them to just magically give it to you without testing the boundaries first. Be glad you can even invite your friends into your current garrison. Take what you get.

Sheesh. =/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Nothing was built and then "scrapped at the last second" in fact, from what I know, the developers have been working on a lot of this plus more (future more) very very hard. If you read [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/11499600/"]this blog[/url] (if you didn't see the live stream) by Bashiok, you can read more of the dungeons and Raids that are planned. The "Warlords of Draenor: The Adventure continues" panel live stream also went more into the story and who you're going to see and meet there (the original warchiefs like Grommash, Durotan etc.)

The trailer shown for the announcement is more of a tease, but if you look at the main image, those are all orc warchiefs that those familiar with the original Warcraft RTS will readily recognize. This is a chance for the Alliance to take the initiative and go after the Iron Horde and it's a chance for the Horde as it is now to rediscover who they are and what they're about. The story is about YOU as a hero as well, facing down an incredibly powerful and dangerous foe in order to protect Azeroth as it is today.

It seems that there's still a lot of information that you're missing and if you didn't get the live-stream or don't plan to, might I also suggest spending some time reading the articles on our various fansites and listening to their podcasts? (We'll try to gather as many of them together for you as we can to help too.) I think that might help you understand a bit more about our plans.

As always, this is just the start of things and as development progresses, ideas, and implementation of those ideas may change, but we'll try to share as much as we can as we go along for you.

Much like the farm was a first step, consider this another step. People kept asking for player housing and we had to find a way to make it truly a part of Warcraft and not just a place to collect dust bunnies. This is what we've come up with. Could guild structures be something that comes about eventually? It just might. Not getting something now doesn't mean it's not possible some time in the future. It may just happen. We didn't just come up with Garrisons overnight. It took time, planning, thought, and technology to all come together. It's a great addition and you'll still be able to bring your friends and guildies into it to visit and maybe even show off your elite Garrison planning skills. ;)

Getting some? We're going to their HOME. We get to get up close and intimate with who they are, what they're about, their lore, their, struggles, their triumphs, their defeats. We get to find out so much more about them (plus no one crashes a space ship.) Are you sure you're ready for it?

Sounds like it's time to roll a Dreneai.

In all technicality, you're heading to a place they just happened to land on while running from the legion. Not really a home, just a location they're hiding until it's time to flee again.

Sooooo..
Reply Quote
Community Manager

In all technicality, you're heading to a place they just happened to land on while running from the legion. Not really a home, just a location they're hiding until it's time to flee again.

Sooooo..

The Draenei considered it home. You don't have to live in a place your whole life for it to be your home and put down roots. ;)
Reply Quote
Home is where the...house is?

I think they lived there, so...they must have had houses.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

While we're discussing the story of WoD, here's something my wife seriously asked me after watching many of the panels:

"Are they going to have a heroic scenario where we discover the secret location that Blizzard is stashing all their female leads for WoD and free them?"

Seriously though, watching them roll out 10 main characters and having them all be men is disappointing. Maybe that works for the testosterone filled 18-24 male age group, but please remember that many of your players are women and men who appreciate a diversified story with actual female characters.

Blizzard has always done a fair job of this, so the 10 main characters highlighted being all male felt very 2003 and out of touch for 2013.

Valid concern and I can address that only a little right now, but it's worth noting that there are plans for some female characters as well. Historically the clan chiefs are all male, so I can see how with the announcement video that it looks very male heavy. But, there will be female characters that will have their time as well. I'm not going to say 50/50 or equal time since I'm not privy to the specifics right now and wouldn't want to spoil anything anyway, but I can say that the designers are working on it. I don't know how much was covered by [url="http://www.applecidermage.com/"]Applecidermage[/url] when she spoke with quest designer Helen Cheng but from speaking to her (and she's someone that's been critical of this herself), she seemed pretty happy about what she's heard.

Hi Neth,

Thank you for the response. I'm sure it's been crazy trying to work on all this in secret and getting ready for the "big reveal" at Blizzcon.

One reason I felt compelled to bring this up was that you essentially had a couple of guys on a stage, "revealing" the big names in the next Xpac who were a bunch of guys. From a PR standpoint alone, that wasn't a great thing and has made myself and others skeptical of this Xpac.

I wanted to make sure this was communicated to the team in a way that shined some outside light into the overall story process and where it needs some work.

I would like to add in that IMO, it's not just enough to add token female characters (usually as supporting roles) to make a great story. In fact, if you think of some of your most beloved characters, we're talking Kerrigan, Sylvanas, and Jaina (though my wife hates Jaina). Characters that are key figures that exist without needing a male lead to carry them (or being simply a plot device to advance the male character's story along ***cough**** Aggra ****cough****).

As I wrote in another thread, the question to answer isn't "where should we add some token females", the question is "Who are the female Heroes and Villians of Draenor that we haven't met yet, and how does their story influence the outcome of WoD?"

Thanks,

Boomer
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I just hope we get the armor model that Grom is wearing in the expansion trailer. Those gloves look so awesome. And I hope we get some gloves that are similar to that! I love the savage look to them.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
So...

Where did Wrathion go?

Why did you scrap the Burning Legion despite all of the chatter about their return?

Why did BlizzCon offer so little about actual content and instead focus mainly on Garrisons?

I gotta say, I am not really all that thrilled about another filler expansion that is more or less just a huge patch with new features.

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Wrathion. Keep in mind (not saying this is related to Wrathion btw) that the story bits you've seen are just one part of the expansion's story. There will be plenty more that you'll get to experience. You are going to get to experience the Draenei's real culture, history, and heroes among many others.

There's a ton of new content as well. Garrisons is a new piece of content, as is the new PvP zone, Trial of the Gladiator is completely new and there are a ton of quality of life improvements. Not to mention all of the new (completely new from the ground up) zones, creatures, quests, story lines and much much more.

This next expansion is definitely not filler. It always makes me a bit sad when I see people who say things like this, but we'll do our best to help you see the light with more information releases as we go along.
Please tell Crithto I love him
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
My lore timing might be a little out here, but will we see A'dal or the Sha'tar feature towards the end of the expansion. Or is it likely to see them once Draenor is lost and thus the next expansion focusing on their Lore.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
This expansion doesn't sound like it's going to be worth the money. The warthion story goes nowhere? Maybe an expansion or two to get back to it? You got to be kidding me.

You're jumping the shark with this time travel stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Valid concern and I can address that only a little right now, but it's worth noting that there are plans for some female characters as well. Historically the clan chiefs are all male, so I can see how with the announcement video that it looks very male heavy. But, there will be female characters that will have their time as well. I'm not going to say 50/50 or equal time since I'm not privy to the specifics right now and wouldn't want to spoil anything anyway, but I can say that the designers are working on it. I don't know how much was covered by [url="http://www.applecidermage.com/"]Applecidermage[/url] when she spoke with quest designer Helen Cheng but from speaking to her (and she's someone that's been critical of this herself), she seemed pretty happy about what she's heard

So... Draka... Will we get to see some awesome from her? Thrall himself describes her as a strong female orc. :)
Edited by Shyala on 11/11/2013 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
For me, the expansion doesn't feel like it's offering as much as previous expansions did. I guess that's because I have a problem seeing things like new models as expansion content and not just patch content that we've been promised is coming for years.

Garrisons seem like the only real selling point of the expansion to me, and while I love the idea of player housing in WoW, from what we've seen of them so far they seem a little bare bone (no racial architecture for example). I'm also concerned by something I read that was said during Blizzcon about how Blizzard only focuses their attention on expansion features during the time of that expansion (I believe it was said in relation to player farms and why they wouldn't feature outside of MoP). It worries me that after WoD is done, Garrisons will be abandoned and left to rot on Draenor while Blizz moves on to whatever the next expansion is.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Just to touch on Wrathion briefly, it seems Dave Kosak did mention it in a panel that we like Wrathion and he may make an appearance but we have no plans to have him work on a Legendary quest line in Warlords of Draenor. (I checked with the team to see if I missed the answer somewhere and it seems I did. ;) )

Poor Wrathion. He can have seat on the bench with the long suffering Gnomes that Blizzard also has no plans for including in the game....perhaps ever.

Instead we get Orcgasm 3.0. woot.

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"
Reply Quote
66 Orc Shaman
As you know, the game has a pretty passionate following.

lol. though, you're just not a part of it? that part I picked up; you had to steer your post in another direction to avoid getting any passive flak from a Blue I see ;)

EDIT: I need to add more to this than a one-sentence comment. I've seen every expansion so far, and enjoyed all but one of them (75% of cata, lol). I don't nitpick at expansions, I see them in the greater light because its easiest to do that. I don't take the easy road mind you in my games though, but I'm getting off topic. BC was fun because it was a massive farm-fest, the quests were astronomically fun to me. Getting attuned and farming Kara was amazing. Then the pre-wrath quest came along and I got to personally infect places like Quel-Danas and small towns. It was a change in scenery and I'm sure a lot of people welcome that feel. Wrath brought Northrend and another 10 levels of fun! I could go on and on but I'm trying to say is I think people need to step back and appreciate expansions for what Blizz makes them for. Don't criticize an expansion just because other people are doing it, or you see a direction that you personally don't want it to go....
Edited by Chinesefood on 11/11/2013 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote

Sooooo..

The Draenei considered it home. You don't have to live in a place your whole life for it to be your home and put down roots. ;)

Ed Zachary.

The Draenei were there for hundreds of years. Long enough for Oshu'gun to become a sacred holy place where Orcs go to speak with the spirits of their ancestors. Heck, long enough for the Orc Clans to not remember Oshu'gun being a Naaru Trans-dimensional Flying Fortress crashing into their world(The Draenei are REALLY GOOD at crashing Naaru ships).
Reply Quote
11/11/2013 02:31 PMPosted by Forbidra
Just to touch on Wrathion briefly, it seems Dave Kosak did mention it in a panel that we like Wrathion and he may make an appearance but we have no plans to have him work on a Legendary quest line in Warlords of Draenor. (I checked with the team to see if I missed the answer somewhere and it seems I did. ;) )

Poor Wrathion. He can have seat on the bench with the long suffering Gnomes that Blizzard also has no plans for including in the game....perhaps ever.

Instead we get Orcgasm 3.0. woot.

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"

http://i.imgur.com/lOq6gtw.jpg
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]