There will be no free recustomization ~ Part2

90 Human Hunter
>Blue pretending to be completely oblivious to a topic that's probably been drilled and rehearsed at the office over the course of months.

>It gives the sheeple hope that maybe there's been a little misinformation about the issue entirely.

>They stop making threads about it.

>I'm amazed at big companies abilities to get their customers to !@#$ about things they want them to.

Damage Control 101.

You don't know me if you think I'm going to stop making threads.

Until we get another statement about it, I'll still voice my concern, as the current official statement is you can change the barber shop items for free like now, but if you want to change your face to fix your character's personality/feel, you have to pay.
No, they're not.

Yes, many of them ARE.

True, many of them are basically the same. The dwarf ones, however, had some variations that were quite different, such as the squinty one, and you were just given a pretty accurate description of the female undead thing, and for male undead, the missing jaw face seems to be gone.

And don't even get me started on the frakking Happy Cow faces.....
90 Undead Mage
The quoted portion is missing:

Q: Will we get to recustomize our characters with the new character models?

You certainly will be able to recustomize them. We don't plan to handle that any differently than we do right now....
Edited by Chaud on 11/10/2013 9:45 PM PST
90 Pandaren Shaman
The point of this thread is just a band of vultures asking for freebies.

That's all there is ever to it.
90 Human Rogue
To be a bit more productive than my last post, I would settle for an option to keep the old model on certain characters of our choosing.
90 Night Elf Rogue
The point is perspective. There's no way to now whether what -I-, or any other player for that matter, see in my character's face, is going to be what some graphical artist is going to see on the character. Just look at the comparison between the old gnome and new gnome model. Now, there's no word on whether those are the exact same customization choices, but if they were? Look at those 2 faces. The older model has a serious look in its face, whereas the new one, really, you can not convince me that that expression is serious. This isn't a matter of us getting more free stuff, it's a matter of the customer feeling secure with the product they're paying for, at the cost of absolutely no resources on Blizzard's part.

They had shown the sort of skeletal mapping process for the new models, so there may be pictures of it somewhere--or the streamed examples. Those examples showed how they laid it over the same frame they had to start with.

It's over-layed the same way, only with more polygons, higher resolution, and attention to detail in the rigging.

Normally I'm on board when something seems due to the customers, since they make so much money squeezing us with their pricy services, but this just seems like it's way reaching. Again, if they weren't explicitly working to make sure the faces remain in-tact to what they were before the update, there might be a case.

Good luck with this in anyways. Hope it turns out better for you guys than the CRZ campaign a lot of us fought for in vain.
Community Manager
11/10/2013 09:26 PMPosted by Hàely
Once again I want to say this. The question didn't mention at all about a free customization. It only asked about if it's possible to get a customization. I think either Jay or whatever read the question wrong or the guy asked it wrong.

Again I think it's just way too early to make a determination, and Tom certainly didn't give a definite answer. Our artists are going to extreme lengths to ensure the new models and animations embody (kyuck knyuck?) what you know and love about your characters. Our hope (and Tom's point) is that you log in, go AWESOME, and enjoy playing your character that still looks and moves and acts like your character - just at a much higher fidelity. If it comes down to it and we just totally miss the mark I'm sure we'd at least seriously consider offering a chance to pick something else. But again, too early to say for sure.
Edited by Bashiok on 11/10/2013 9:36 PM PST
90 Human Hunter

You have been trolling these threads all day. I really wish the mods would ban you for trolling. -.-

Once again I want to say this. The question didn't mention at all about a free customization. It only asked about if it's possible to get a customization. I think either Jay or whatever read the question wrong or the guy asked it wrong.

Again I think it's just way too early to make a determination, and Tom certainly didn't give a definite answer. Our artists are going to extreme lengths to ensure the new models and animations embody (kyuck knyuck?) what you know and love about your characters. Our hope (and Tom's point) is that you log in, go AWESOME, and enjoy playing your character that still looks and moves and acts like your character - just at a much higher fidelity. If it comes down to it and we just totally miss the mark I'm sure we'd at least seriously consider offering a chance to pick something else.

You guys have ALREADY missed the mark. There are NUMEROUS threads pointing out the huge differences in what we've seen already.

Fact of the matter is, unless we can fix it, you guys are going to have major backlash in your subscriber count come WoD.

It doesn't matter how "Similar" the new faces are to the old ones. They are not the face we chose, plain and simple. Not giving us the chance to see if a different face fits our character's personality better is ridiculous.
Edited by Reinhilde on 11/10/2013 9:36 PM PST
90 Undead Warrior
This character uses the customization option #2 as pictured here-- http://i.imgur.com/qxgqnyt.png

As you can see from my avatar, I do not have glowing yellow eyes. I would like to keep it that way. Giving my character glowing yellow eyes would dramatically alter her appearance, as anyone can plainly can see.
To be a bit more productive than my last post, I would settle for an option to keep the old model on certain characters of our choosing.

The Problem with that is those models will probably no longer exist. With the new models I would imagine the NPC's will be getting those updated looks too.

Although there is one thing I am curious about. Worgen Human form will those be updated with the new Human Graphics?
90 Human Paladin

How is asking for a perfectly reasonable request make us vultures?

I've already given an example of a smaller MMO called Eve Online that has done exactly that, given us a chance to change our appearance twice for free.

Blizzard, the so-called mega MMO with 7 million subs, cannot even do for its players what a MMO with less than a million subs do.

This seems to be the trend. SW:TOR at launch could give oceanic players real oceanic servers at launch, despite it being untested. WoW can't even do that after 9 years.

When you update the models, you give everyone a chance to tweak their looks to their liking, for free, once. After that, you have to pay for it. That's perfectly reasonable.

Free boost to level 90? No problem.
Free customization to fine tune your looks? Oh you're just a bunch of vultures asking for freebies.
Edited by Goldbrand on 11/10/2013 9:38 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
11/10/2013 09:34 PMPosted by Bashiok

Again I think it's just way too early to make a determination, and Tom certainly didn't give a definite answer. Our artists are going to extreme lengths to ensure the new models and animations embody (kyuck knyuck?) what you know and love about your characters. Our hope (and Tom's point) is that you log in, go AWESOME, and enjoy playing your character that still looks and moves and acts like your character - just at a much higher fidelity. If it comes down to it and we just totally miss the mark I'm sure we'd at least seriously consider offering a chance to pick something else.

Well...uhm...*shuffles feet*...if uhm....maybe...you know... maybe you could ask the guys...if like...we could get a free reskin with the new models? Y'know...cus they're so cool and all? Like...maybe, one of the older models that we passed up on when we character rolled are like...a LOT cooler now? you know?

Just sayin'.
It's only fair to give us a one-time free re-customization for all our characters. I have a lot of characters, and I don't really feel like shilling 10 bucks per character to fix them up after inevitable changes I'm not as happy with as I could be.
90 Human Warlock
11/10/2013 09:28 PMPosted by Cynphel
Unless any of you are programmers and can speak up on how easy/hard this challenge is, I think we might need to simmer down a little. We've gotten a blue post, our voice has been heard for now. Let's just sit on this, and wait and see what happens. If in a few months things are not looking brighter, we can rouse the masses again.
They'd probably have to spend time developing a system to flag every account for character recustomisation.

Currently, you go on their website and tell their systems, 'Hey, here's money. Flag my account'. I imagine they'd have to create something to flag every account, which probably isn't easy to do or easy on the servers, then deal with the aftermath of millions of people changing their appearance all at once, which may have an unknown affect on WoW in general.

It's hard to say how easy or difficult it is exactly because I don't work for Blizzard, but if systems aren't in place to do something players request (Mass Appearance Changes, bigger bags, toyboxes whatever), they have to spend development time creating something for that, testing it, making sure it won't have an adverse affect on gameplay, etc.

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems.
11/10/2013 09:30 PMPosted by Reinhilde
if you want to change your face to fix your character's personality/feel, you have to pay.
Models are still a WIP. They've heard your concerns about the previewed look and feel. In fact, when they were unveiling them, I believe they said something like, 'we welcome your comments and criticisms and concerns because we want to make sure you're happy with the updated models'.

You may not need to fix your character's personality if they're rolled out as intended.
90 Human Paladin

Says the panda whose face wont be changing.

If I had the choice to keep the old model or pay for a new upgraded one that would be one thing but to have it changed to something I may or may not even like without the ability to make a new choice seems like crap.
10 Blood Elf Paladin
I want the option to go back to my original model, in case the new ones are botched.

not going to pay hundreds of dollars to fix alts.
90 Human Rogue
11/10/2013 09:34 PMPosted by Bashiok

With all due respect, Bash, the quote (including the additional context Chaud just posted) seems fairly definitive to me. It's only not definitive in the "it's pre-beta and anything could change" sense, but his statement was not ambiguous. His current plan is to not offer free recustomizations. Maybe he'll change his mind, but, well, that's the point of this thread: to get the policy changed.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]