Level 100 monk talents

90 Orc Monk
11/08/2013 11:09 PMPosted by Kallìk
I would like a blade flurry / Killing Spree split mechanic on it. If you have SEF it'll bounce you around, if not it'll be like a single target heavy CD.

Yes.

11/08/2013 11:23 PMPosted by Mifen
chi explosion looks like it has a chance to become our entire rotation though

Definitely could replace BoK depending on how the abilities compare, as long as you only use 2-3 chi for single target. Definitely going to be the best choice for AoE as it is now.
Edited by Rowan on 11/9/2013 10:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Vital Convictions for Brewmasters need an added active: Pulling all ox orbs within 100 yards to you. Fights like Lei Shen and Dark Shamans already have me using my orbs at almost 0% of the time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
nice
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Monk
Thankfully these must be early ideas for talents because they are mostly pretty bad with the exception of the brewmaster magic stagger and the mistweaver CD.

WW doesn't need another adrenalin rush ability (energising brew) which would probably net about 3-4 extra blackout kicks per 90s. What good is another dps CD for a BrM? If a BrM needs the extra shuffle buffer they are better off getting more haste and it's not like a BrM can chain guards (if they could the talent would be amazing).

WW doesn't need a second FoF ability with its only saving grace being damage and spell immunity for 3s. Don't compare it with killing spree as it is nothing like it; it is a second FoF but mechanically easier as it doesn't cost chi nor brings you to a standstill.

Chi explosion just looks cumbersome - MW seems to function the best mechanically since from my limited experience they are most likely to regularly hit 4 chi pools. In general though having an ability scale on the amount of chi is a bad idea as it makes the lower chi strength pointless and most likely better served by another ability (blackout kick, uplift) and the higher chi costs tedious to obtain.

Back to the drawing board Blizzard! Keep it simple and look more towards Celestial abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Thankfully these must be early ideas for talents because they are mostly pretty bad with the exception of the brewmaster magic stagger and the mistweaver CD.

WW doesn't need another adrenalin rush ability (energising brew) which would probably net about 3-4 extra blackout kicks per 90s. What good is another dps CD for a BrM? If a BrM needs the extra shuffle buffer they are better off getting more haste and it's not like a BrM can chain guards (if they could the talent would be amazing).

WW doesn't need a second FoF ability with its only saving grace being damage and spell immunity for 3s. Don't compare it with killing spree as it is nothing like it; it is a second FoF but mechanically easier as it doesn't cost chi nor brings you to a standstill.

Chi explosion just looks cumbersome - MW seems to function the best mechanically since from my limited experience they are most likely to regularly hit 4 chi pools. In general though having an ability scale on the amount of chi is a bad idea as it makes the lower chi strength pointless and most likely better served by another ability (blackout kick, uplift) and the higher chi costs tedious to obtain.

Back to the drawing board Blizzard! Keep it simple and look more towards Celestial abilities.

I completely disagree with everything you just said. We have no idea how the spec will be changed, I'm assuming a good bit to streamline it with the other melee dps specs since we were sort of out there this xpac. These could fit in very well, and the burst offered by the monk AR during TEB would be amazing, so would the KS clone. Chi Explosion seems like we finally get a chi dump for AoE and I'm going to welcome that.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
What good is another dps CD for a BrM? If a BrM needs the extra shuffle buffer they are better off getting more haste and it's not like a BrM can chain guards (if they could the talent would be amazing).

BRMs don't have a personal DPS CD. All I have is sparkle kitty. It's actually an issue on Blackfuse -- every other tank spec has a DPS cooldown they can use to kill their shredder, but Xuen doesn't inherit my damage debuff, so I got nothing.

Getting about a minute of free Shuffle on demand, and free Purifies for funsies, will be AWESOME. I'd much rather have low haste and dump that into mastery or crit.

Chi Explosion doesn't excite me. Literally all it does is replace BOK with a higher DPS ability, which is whatever (burst CD is better) and I have to be careful that I don't use it at 3 or 4 Chi by accident.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
except it's only much of a dps cd for BrM if you were resource starved, which very rarely happens even when trying to dps. i guess you could use it to chuck out some extra breath of fire but i can't imagine taking it over magic shuffle or chi explosion.

might be useful for when you're solo soaking malkorok or something to just spam purify
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
the real answer is "we don't know if monks will work similar to they do now so any comparison is suspect" though
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Monk
Well there is fort brew and I suppose I should have stated active mitigation instead of defensive CD but that doesn't change the point I was making - that dps CD is pretty pointless for a BrM.

And no - hurricane kick is not a killing spree clone. The only similarity it has to killing spree is that you will bounce around; the damage style which is the important part is the same as FoF.

From what the information we have these talents were implemented with no other class changes since the remainder of the talent tree is unchanged. It looks like these talents were implemented by just adding level 100 talents with no other changes.

And no - we don't need a chi dump in an AE situation. What we need is a straight forward chi costing AoE ability. Actually that's not even quite true - our AE works quite well with RJW doing the AE whilst our other abilities maintain single target dps. Also our AE output is quite fun and single target could use some love.
Reply Quote
Like the changes. Really looking forward to new xpac.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Vital Convictions for Brewmasters need an added active: Pulling all ox orbs within 100 yards to you. Fights like Lei Shen and Dark Shamans already have me using my orbs at almost 0% of the time.

I like that idea. The magic stagger almost seems like it should be a passive while leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
11/09/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Mifen
except it's only much of a dps cd for BrM if you were resource starved, which very rarely happens even when trying to dps. i guess you could use it to chuck out some extra breath of fire but i can't imagine taking it over magic shuffle or chi explosion.

I like running low haste and Chi Brew, which puts me at ~12.5 energy per second, and it works very well for me. So I can easily imagine dumping all my energy and spamming Blackout Kick for 10 seconds. Keg Smash would come off cooldown during that time too so I wouldn't even energy cap -- but even if I did energy cap, I'd take that for a burst window. Realistically I'd get 8 free BOKs during those ten seconds, giving me 48 seconds of extra Shuffle, which will give me more leeway to Purify later on on top of the free Purifies during the CD.

It's equivalent to Berserk/Incarnation for bear tanks, which double as damage and mitigation CDs. Obviously things will change going to the next expac, but I really wish I had it right now.

Chi Explosion I can't see myself using as a tank, since
with 1 chi it's just a waste
with 2 chi it's blackout kick with some extra damage?
with 3 chi it's BOK+ with a Purify -- but this doesn't let me do anything special. I can already spend 3 Chi to BOK and Purify within the same GCD.
with 4 chi I'm only getting 2 chi worth of shuffle and it's equivalent to using Breath of Fire. So no.

Magic stagger will be amazing on some fights and whatever on others. But other tanks actually have fewer tools against magic than we do (they just heal themselves through it with fewer tools to do so) and they have to design the fights so they can survive it, so I think I'll be fine without it if I really need the DPS CD.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
it's a ranged bok keep in mind, that's pretty handy for keeping shuffle up during movement intensive fights
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
also with the 4 chi it's slightly cheaper than BoF because you're getting a purify along with it

i suspect it'll be more dps overall than the CD, just because the CD doubles as both offensive and defensive

the obvious thing is that it'll be better at the start of the expansion when resources are scarce and get worse as time goes on.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/09/2013 01:52 AMPosted by Velkia
I'm sure the hurricane strike graphic is neat, but WW does not need new mechanics that have the ability to split damage. Bad for PvP.

you're also immune to ALL DAMAGE AND EFFECTS. i'd say it's a powerful defensive ability and that either the defensive utility or the 45s cooldown will take a nerf.

This is what stood out to me. Immune to damage for 3 seconds every 45 seconds? No way that sticks.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
We got the best dps talents for level 100
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Chi explosion seems like a good answer option in pvp. Opponent stacks up? Use 4 chi explosion + rjw. Opponent spread out? Use 3 chi FoF.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
nVs
Interesting first drafts of the talents. For healing 10man, i'm thinking Serene Mists would be the best. For lfr/25 Vital Convictions would be better, since there are more ppl, hense more healing with the orbs.
Really don't know how i feel about, Chi Explosion. Does 4 different things based on chi. Saving chi and trying to get at the number u want for the effect would be to hard to manage and not waste chi for other spells.
Gonna be fun to see if these are changed to later on in the process.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This is what stood out to me. Immune to damage for 3 seconds every 45 seconds? No way that sticks.

I highly doubt it's intended to so. I believe it's more of a "cannot be targeted by attacks nor spells, including AoE" sort of thing. Any dots on you continues to roll.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]