Level 100 Hunter talents

90 Human Hunter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDdb-L6l99Y
Reply Quote
96 Human Hunter
As a MM "Archer" I like what im seeing with the third talent. The first 2 though.. meh? They seem really weak ( almost bad "Snipe" ). Very niche i think.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Currently not worth the talent in pvp.... you miss out on pet ability (extra interrupt cc stun) plus the utility from sac and freedom..... This shouldn't be the last talent, it should replace lynx Rush and be on the same talent level as blink strikes.... either way if we dont get the dmg buff plus the utility of losing a pet its not worth it at all. Which is a shame cause i like the idea of not having a pet.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
As a primarily survival player, I hate all 3 of them.

Bola has an AoE component on it, because of this, it is "most likely" not going to have a single target gain. In order for it to gain enough damage to be worth it in single target to keep up with Lone Wolf, it would out weight explosive shot, and we know blizzard won't allow us to just completely drop our primary shot out of the rotation. We'll have to see the damage formula of this vs arcane shot to really know.

Snipe you can't move while casting. This is a double edge sword, because you have to keep a pool of focus to be able to cast arcane shot during periods of movement, but at the sametime, you can't keep the pool too high, because this ability regenerates 60 focus, plus the 10 focus you'll also regenerate during the cast, that is basically 70 focus for one cast. So that means your pool of focus you need before casting it is between 0-30. That means if you have to move during a cast or right before a cast, you are SoL, because you aren't going to have the focus to do anything while moving. Don't forget the fact that it will most likely be physical damage, so SV mastery will most likely not play along.

Lone Wolf gives a flat out dps buff, and it seems way too high. My pet usually only makes up 11-12% of my damage in single target fights. This buff will give me about a 14.4% dps gain in single target alone (88% * 1.30 = 114.4%). I feel this talent is way too much of a dps increase and I'm going to be pigeonholed into it. Then you consider this talent also buffs your AoE too. I rolled a hunter in vanilla because of pets, and now I feel I'm going to be forced into a petless "option." Unless Bola Shot gives me a 14.4% increase in single target dps (which I highly doubt it because then explosive shot would never be used), then this is what I'm forced into.
Edited by Morkel on 11/9/2013 4:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
lol.... i just looked at that talent again and looked at its buffs if you are BM.... hahaha blink strike 50% plus the "with or without you" buff of 70% with all those buffs including sac etc...... BM will be the best spec in pvp next xpac BY FARRRRRR. I am expecting blizz to mess around a little more with the hunters talent system....

How to fix.... put the "with or without you" talent over lynx rush(level 75 talent), reduce dmg from 75% to 20% for the talent, add all the other abilities like it did at lvl100 (rabid/spike collar etc), and add the extra ability lynx rush for the BM spec.
While doing this make it when MM and surv hunters pick this talent, when their pets not spwned they can use sac, freedom and the ability of your last pet active or something when your pet is not up.(or just do the sac thing like warlocks do that kills the pet so its not so tedious)
Then just add in another lvl 100 talent ability. Like something thats cool like a mobility ability, MM gets dash, Survival can disengage again within 3 secs of using disengage, BM charges towards the hunters pet. idk,

Anyway that's just how i would fix it to balance it out for pvp.
Edited by Cyrus on 11/9/2013 3:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter
Hmmm...I would probably take with or without you talent. I can always call my pet if I need it. Talent snipe is not my cup of tea, I like maintain movement.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Keep in mind about the "losing CC from the pet" thing, there may be new spells that share cooldowns with pet cooldowns, but come from the Hunter, or even glyphed moves.

It would be the easiest way to handle it, I suppose.

Either way I want talent 1. I will catch everything on fire.

Even you.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm wondering how exactly the buffs will work with the WoWoY talent... I pve as survival and my raid team usually is missing either attack speed or spell haste. I kind of have to use a pet that provides one of those... As far as this talent is concerned, I'm not sure I'm a fan of where they took it. You you deal 30% additional damage however won't your survivability be nerfed with things like spirit bond? And also pet special abilities in pvp that slow casting speed or stun.

For BM this talent seems great but lackluster for the others.

Bola shot was rather disappointing if it ends up being weaker than current AS single target. For aoe I just use multi shot and barrage on cooldown (with cobra fillers and traps) and those are not cheap abilities. Throwing bola shot in there is kind of iffy.

And snipe is just so poorly designed. Yay more focus but really? Look at all the high movement fights we've been having... And forget it in pvp. Classes with no mobility just don't do well. Very disappointed in this tier of talents as a person who prefers playing survival above all else.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Keep in mind that there's a ginormous itemization squish coming in. The example they gave was a fireball that's hitting for almost 47k now will hit for ~2200 after the squish.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
It's percent damage. It's not the numbers I was looking at and our abilities aren't going to be costing less focus. Stat squish isn't really relative to these talents.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I'm wondering how exactly the buffs will work with the WoWoY talent... I pve as survival and my raid team usually is missing either attack speed or spell haste. I kind of have to use a pet that provides one of those... As far as this talent is concerned, I'm not sure I'm a fan of where they took it. You you deal 30% additional damage however won't your survivability be nerfed with things like spirit bond? And also pet special abilities in pvp that slow casting speed or stun.

For BM this talent seems great but lackluster for the others.

Bola shot was rather disappointing if it ends up being weaker than current AS single target. For aoe I just use multi shot and barrage on cooldown (with cobra fillers and traps) and those are not cheap abilities. Throwing bola shot in there is kind of iffy.

And snipe is just so poorly designed. Yay more focus but really? Look at all the high movement fights we've been having... And forget it in pvp. Classes with no mobility just don't do well. Very disappointed in this tier of talents as a person who prefers playing survival above all else.

The idea for the talents is to all have a niche. Bola would obviously be the AoE talent. With or Without You is great for pet unfriendly encounters or high mobility fights while you get a super pet for Beast. Snipe should be the theoretical best single target option due to its mobility restriction but obviously you wouldn't take it on a high mobility fight.

In short:
-Single target fight? Snipe
-High mobility or target swap fight? With or Without You
-AoE/cleave fight? Bola
Edited by Bullettime on 11/9/2013 2:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
48 Draenei Hunter
for the love of god blizzard PLZ KEEP WITH OR WITH OUT YOU LOOKS SO !@#$ING BADASS THE BEAST MASTERE PART LOOKS EPIC
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
YOLO going BOLA
Edited by Tennagas on 11/9/2013 5:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
TL;DR Survival hunter, not impressed. At all.

Bola Shot. 3000 base damage + 2000 to surrounding enemies. At level 90, weapon damage was in the 500 to 800 range, I don't remember exact numbers. At level 100, I'm not sure what base weapon damage will be. This means that early on, Bola may be useful if it does more damage than arcane. Later during the xpac I suspect that weapon damage may scale to overtake Bola to the point it'll get dropped like a hot potato. If it's going to remain useful to 18 months to 2 years, it needs to scale.

Sniper shot. Far too niche to be useful in general gameplay. The huge problem is mixing that long 2.77 second cast time with the 70+ focus gain it provides. If Lock and Load procs during that wind up, you're screwed. To maximize uptime of ES, you want to triple dump ES as soon as LnL procs, which means the first two GCD's following the end of Sniper will dump no focus, meaning another 8 to 10 focus added. I see a great risk of hitting the focus cap if you select this one.

WoWoY. No. Just simply No. A Hunter is a pet class. We were one of the only two "pet" classes in vanilla, Warlocks being the other. A hunter's pet is a very integral part of the character and class. Getting rid of our pets is as wrong for hunters as having Volley was. Keep it the way it is for BM Hunters, but do not let it go live in its current form for MM and SV.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
. Getting rid of our pets is as wrong for hunters as having Volley was. Keep it the way it is for BM Hunters, but do not let it go live in its current form for MM and SV.

I think its fine, if you like having your pet out you still can and just not choose that talent. As long as the option is still there I see no problem with it
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Monk
WoWoY. No. Just simply No. A Hunter is a pet class. We were one of the only two "pet" classes in vanilla, Warlocks being the other. A hunter's pet is a very integral part of the character and class. Getting rid of our pets is as wrong for hunters as having Volley was. Keep it the way it is for BM Hunters, but do not let it go live in its current form for MM and SV.

Good god, heaven forbid the devs do something that doesn't jive with your own viewpoint of what the class is. Don't forget, the other "pet" class has a petless option as well. Too many fights like Megaera where the pets were bugged for months still make it out of beta to NOT want an option like this to exist. Lets face facts. Pet ai is about as sophisticated as a drunken monkey banging on a mac keyboard with a rotten banana.

I've played hunter since very early vanilla, and "petless" hunters happened all too frequently when a pet died, randomly despawned, ended up two rooms away for some reason (and locked out), etc. during the long tale of the retarded pet. I hope to god wowoy becomes the go-to talent. Then maybe hunters will finally move past the stigma of the huntard with growl on.
Edited by Konekochan on 11/10/2013 1:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
As long as they don't go the strange route that Rift went with a petless option, I am fine with the option. I personally like my pet, and most of the time you can deal with the AI by actually paying attention. I think though these talents are a bit boring if you look at the other class previews. The rogue's death from above or mage talents are good examples. Obviously we'll have a lot of potential change before this goes live. We really need to help the devs understand that not having a raid cd is going to hurt us in the new mythic raids.
Reply Quote
70 Human Hunter
There are different requirements for diferent situations. When doing Solo PVE, I really like have the pet tank for me. That's the basic mechanic for hunter I think for levleling, you let pet take aggro, and heal the pet. But in group situations, the pet is just a PITA. I would go petless in a dungeon group if I had the option. One issue is how you change these things. It's possible switch specs once your dungon pops, but it still takes time, and the tank is typically off an running. And I can't count the millons of times the tank just jumps without warning, they don't care that I have to stop and dismiss my pet. Or in Stratholme, I stop to dismiss my pet before jumping, then the wall of ice hits and kills me instantly. Oh, that is so much fun.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
11/10/2013 08:28 AMPosted by Jezebellah
I would go petless in a dungeon group if I had the option.

No you won't, not if you're a smart hunter. I keep a wolf, a cat, a sporebat and a serpent as my four non-tank pets.

That means that in a five man, where you rarely, if ever, have all 8 buffs up, I can almost always cover one of the missing ones. Getting out the wolf when we're missing crit for that extra 5% can make quite a difference.

And what about the case that happens about 30 to 50% of the time in a 10 man, at least for the raid group I'm part of, where we're missing a buff. I'm now faced with a choice. Which is the lesser of the two evils? Deny the entire raid a buff or lose about 14% of my DPS. (*)

(*) Based on the following. My pet is currently about 12% of my dps. So losing the pet means my DPS becomes 88% * 1.3 of my with pet DPS. 88% for what's left over when the pet goes away, * 1.3 for the WoWoY buff. That works out to 114.4% of original for a 14.4% DPS gain.

Example scenario, you're missing spell haste. Is the amount of spell damage in the raid enough that the gain from the buff is greater or smaller than 14% of the hunter's damage?

Worse yet, do we bench someone who doesn't bring a buff so we can get someone with spell haste in so we can get that extra 14% from the hunter.

Are these choices we should be making?

Far better solution to the petless problem. Give us a glyph that has a similar effect: it provides about a 13.5% damage buff if the pet is missing, which is the right amount to cover for the lost pet dps, at least for SV and MM. Petless BM hunters kinda don't make sense.

TL;DR If petless hunters are on the roadmap, losing your pet needs to be very close to zero sum, so that neither side feels forced to play in a mode they don't want. As of right now, WoWoY is most definitely not zero sum.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Far better solution to the petless problem. Give us a glyph that has a similar effect: it provides about a 13.5% damage buff if the pet is missing, which is the right amount to cover for the lost pet dps, at least for SV and MM. Petless BM hunters kinda don't make sense.

But the petles hunter tallent instead boosts the pets combat expereince passive to 70% bonus damage for BM (which is by default 50% with out the tallent) and gives it several abilities regardless of spec, that 70% stacks with mastery, BW, and any other pet damage effect. ITs viable for BM as its not a petless BM option, and wont have the buff loss issue. THe devs agree, petless BM doesnt make sense, gimps most of BMs mechanics, so instead, the tallent buffs the pet rather than the hunter.
Edited by Eurugan on 11/10/2013 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]