RiP PvP 2004-2013 - Trial of Gladiator (WoD)

100 Gnome Warrior
Well this is what you get for QQing every patch that comes out
Reply Quote
25 Human Mage
Why is everyone acting like Trail of the Gladiator is going through?

I know stupid stuff has gone past testing, but seriously im starting to think people dont know what testing is for (also with alot of complaints blizzard wont let it go through)

You've basically answered your own question man. Blizzard is a decent company, no argument here. They have however, made many unpopular decisions before even with testing being available for a long time. Not just in PvP (in regards to balance) but PvE as well.

That kind of track record alone does warrant the concern of some people. I mean, hell if they do put in a forced que system for the entire ladder, I may even have to quit (mainly because I have a rather spasmodic life...quiet then busy then quiet etc). I can't schedule my life around a 4-8 hour window to play, nor do I feel like it's worth paying for an entire cake only just to eat the icing.

The main reason (Holinka at least said this) they want to implement this system is to catch 'shady' gladiators/HotH players who win-trade or que at the weirdest times of the day...but how does hunting down after what 0.1%(?) of the population justify punishing the entire PvP community...

They could also implement the idea in a much more effective manner but whatever, we'll see how it turns out. I truly do hope they scrap this and find a better method for catching exploiters.
Edited by Djsinsbad on 11/14/2013 5:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
This is a real bad joke, I feel blizzard is trolling us cause they are not that dumb to implement such a BAD idea.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Blizzard are just doing as many things they cant next expansion to make money, like changing the looks on characters because they know atleast 500,000 people will pay for look change, also there going to make this realm active time thing because atleast 200,000 people are going to have to realm change just because there in wrong time zoned realm at the moment.

The updated character models have been in the works for a long time. The old models really need an updating.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
game isn't even in beta yet.

o
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
LOL, you do realize Trial of the gladiator is separate from arena right gosh how could you be so stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I love that blizzard did this to be honest. It might not have been the best way to go about it...but lets be honest...this pretty much stops most Win Trading in its tracks.

Blizzard FINALLY did something to try to counter win trading. You guys should be happy as hell because you will be losing less gladiator and duelist spots to players cheating.

Yes the times are not the most ideal. I personally think they should do 4 different times.

Time 1 - Saturday Night

Time 2 - Wednesday Night

Time 3 - Monday Afternoon

Time 4 - Thursday Morning

That way it covers most time zones. Something along those lines.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Monk
11/14/2013 08:19 AMPosted by Eternalcore
Blizzard FINALLY did something to try to counter win trading. You guys should be happy as hell because you will be losing less gladiator and duelist spots to players cheating.

They could just ban (Obvious) wintraders instead of punishing people who cant play at any time during the week

EDIT: The saturday time seems to be the only good one out of them
Edited by Melondew on 11/14/2013 8:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
They won't go through with this, there will be too much of a backlash against it. Trial would be fine as an additions to the current system, but that's it.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
I'll have to read up on it I guess. Very confused at the moment. I absolutely cannot schedule my life around Wow with friends. As is, in the last month, I have had maybe 3-4 nights free to play with actual partners.

If arena was put on some time table for me to play, I would likely have to quit wow. Sad times. The whole reason I had to stop raiding was because I couldn't lead or make serious raids without having a fairly set schedule. I led pugs for years, but pugging can only get you so far. Even rbgs were taking me to much time... Arena has been the last, mostly untouched item I can still enjoy on a lose schedule. Hop on, play for 30 minutes to an hour and be done.

Really can't fathom why this would even be considered. Blizzard has made a lot of awesome decisions and quite a few bad ones, but this just seems completely thrown together.

IF this was a tournament thing only, that was somehow apart of arena, yet separate, then I could understand... maybe. I guess i'll have to find some more info on it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
LOL, you do realize Trial of the gladiator is separate from arena right gosh how could you be so stupid.

That's what i am hoping, you seem very confident, arrogant even

where do you get your certainty? i have yet to read anything concerning details of this new feature.

It is a great idea, as long as it is in addition to arena, not a replacement.

If we can still cap every week, gain ratings, increase our conquest, earn achievements, and play arenas, i only see one problem.

hopefully, TotG will be an addition, once TotG is only usable in TotG and not anywhere else, including normal arena.

That way all of the competing teams will be fully geared and can pretty much play whatever classes they want, the only restriction is that peak hours nonsense

if they remove that ridiculous peak hours thing, then as long as it's not a replacement of the current system, then they've created a wonderful and necessary feature

as far as wintraders, it's pretty obvious when people wintrade, just ban them, and if they can't tell if they're wintraders, and we can't tell they're wintraders, then all is well.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I would say less than 50% of ideas actually go through. Blizzard wants to implement arena tournament style pvp into live, but most players do not want that, and those who do SIGN UP FOR TOURNEY REALMS. I also hope this change does not happen, I don't want to be forced to play at a certain time, thats why I only pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Req
I like the idea of it. It's very similar to how War of the Emperium worked in ragnarok online. You had 25 castles and guilds defended those castles 2 days a week for 2 hours. The battles got really intense.

But, at the same time, I'm no longer in high school and cannot schedule my life around wow. And RO was really small compared to WoW.

What I see them doing is keeping your personal rating (for match making purposes), then your TotG team rating. What blizz sounds like they are doing with this is making regular arenas like 2s, and then focusing on TotG for rewards. This system does have pros and cons though.

Pros
Stops win trading
Promotes Arena as an Esport
Focuses play times
Allows for most consistent balancing of classes.

Cons
More restricting (ways to fix this like queuing up in another region) because of time
Pointless if not promoting as an esport.

But like everything there are ways to fix this. One is having set times based on regions and then queuing for whichever region works best for you.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
This is indeed an awful idea and hopefully with enough consensus in the community and proper feedback during testing, this turd won't be shipped live, at least not as is.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
I don't mind the idea of having it, I just don't like the very limited time windows
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
It would be fine if the current arena system stays in place and this TotG gives a little more conquest per win, and vanity pets/cosmetic items and maybe monthly titles or something thats temporary, but has nothing to do with end of season rewards.

That way if you miss the times one week your not screwed until next week to try and push for rating.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Meh, at least this way when I say "hey jimmy lets play some games tomorrow at 7" and then he just doesn't show up and me and the healer are sitting around waiting, we will feel more justified in looking for a different partner. There is nothing more annoying to me than putting time out of my day to play at a prearranged time, only to have it wasted because the other guy didn't bother to follow through. If there is limited time to do ladder, then people will be motivated to follow through.

On top of that, the current ladder will become a skirmish zone and it will be much easier to find new partners and actually practice with them.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
We've begged for skirmishes for a while now, but not at the cost of arena
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
dumb idea and it will never go live like this. Still developing.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Meh, at least this way when I say "hey jimmy lets play some games tomorrow at 7" and then he just doesn't show up and me and the healer are sitting around waiting, we will feel more justified in looking for a different partner. There is nothing more annoying to me than putting time out of my day to play at a prearranged time, only to have it wasted because the other guy didn't bother to follow through. If there is limited time to do ladder, then people will be motivated to follow through.

On top of that, the current ladder will become a skirmish zone and it will be much easier to find new partners and actually practice with them.

What will happen is people is people that have busy schedules get screwed, I have a wife and a son and i play during the evenings when my son goes to bed.

I work from 8 to 5 through out the week, i cant change my schedule because blizz decides what peak time should be nor should i have to, i should be able to play on my own time with people i like playing with that can also play at that time as well. Not be forced to play at certain times or not gain rating.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]