RiP PvP 2004-2013 - Trial of Gladiator (WoD)

1 Orc Warrior
I support the idea.

Gear will still matter outside arena so I don't see anything wrong with it, the character progression is still there

I imagined Trial of the Gladiator would be like, you do ToG for ratings and stuff, but the old arena ladder will be so you have gear out in the World, for maybe perhaps the new world pvp zone.

I hope that's what it'll be like, but this whole "There's a certain time you can do ToG" is a bad idea.

Very bad idea.

I agree with your statement that the gear progression outside of arenas is important. In fact, for this reason, I am assuming that Blizz plans on keeping the "old" arenas exactly the way it is now: ratings, mounts, achievements, and everything. They never said they were replacing nor taking them away. The TotG arenas will be the "special" arenas that have the specific times. I am just wondering, but you would still have an issue with the specific-time requirements, assuming that the current arena ladder will continue to function as it is now?

Holinka mentioned, at Blizzcon (during a break between the arena global finals matches), that the TotG system will have titles, etc. as rewards. Because of this, people assume it means the old ladder will no longer award titles, and I disagree. Although Blizz has not released any official details, I believe the TotG system will bring in completely new titles. Holinka briefly hinted at this the way he worded his statements. But, like I said, because it was not an official Blizzard press-style release, and just him chatting casually with Isaac and Josh, he may have just not explained it well. (hence the mass confusion and worry).

The new titles will basically be like, "Xalduin, Winner of This Week's Tournament." So it will go away the next week, unless the person defends their championship. Holinka simply mentioned that it would be cool if people got a special thing like a title or a different flag color in the arenas if they performed well that week in the TotG, that's all. Not getting rid of the old stuff.

Once again, this is just me assuming things. From the half-filled-glass point of view.
Edited by Orclolok on 12/14/2013 10:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
AJ
They said glad titles and mounts and even though europe forums went mad when this happened they never stated otherwise. (go check eu.battle.net forums)

Rated battlegrounds and arenas are on a schedule.

My guess is, if all goes PERFECTLY as blizzard is hoping... Arenas and RBGs is what a player will decide to both participate in. You no longer have a choice if you're a hardcore pvper who likes receiving titles and not get "rusty" in your skill.

I do have to say though 4 hours is not ideal for arenas and even worst for rbgs. Make it 6 hours and also make arenas have more scheduled dates than Tuesday and Friday from 4pm-8pm (source for arena schedule is from Euro forums). Given a typical work day is 8am-5pm mostly anywhere... Then you gotta eat with family/girlfriend. Also 2 days is very bad especially since one of them are fridays, ever heard of TGI Friday... Meaning a lot of people even dedicated pvper's don't plan on doing arenas on Fridays...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
WoW isn't even considered an E-Sport and they need to stop putting stupid crap in like this to make it "feel" like one.

They're making a feature that is for absolutely nobody if they're doing it for tournament players.
These players already make some money off streaming donations and selling carries and the like. They don't need more ontop of that.

The reason WoW has been so successful is because it's so open ended.
It's available to everybody.
This goes completely against their previous ideals. You know; The ones that work?

I would have to disagree. Old school WoW was all about end-game raid content that was very, very difficult for the "average" player to access. Nearly every major raiding change since then has been made to make raiding more "accessible" and less elitist.

I understand that just me saying "raiding has been changed to be more accessible" is probably going to sound like it contradicts my whole point here, and to a certain extent, it may, but the statement that this new TotG system goes against Blizzard's "previous ideals" is wrong. Even with all of the raiding changes, it STILL takes a ridiculous amount of commitment from players to reach the point where they can do the current tier of raid on 25-man hard mode. It is just not something that the "average" player will be able to participate in.

You don't HAVE to do the 25-man hard modes to really feel like you are playing the game; that is just something extra. Likewise, TotG will most likely feel the same way.

Now, they haven't given away too many details, but I think that this new system will most likely only work if everyone has access to it at all times. Make it so that you can only play "ranked matches" at the specific times or whatever, but I think at least giving everyone access to a tournament-style zone/area, even if just to look around, will go a long way.

It doesn't matter if you call WoW an e-sport or not. Either way, arenas are still a competition, of some sorts, that have thousands of spectators and the potential for funded tournaments.

EDIT: And yes, I agree that WoW has been so successful because it has been open-ended. It is why I prefer to play WoW and not a game like GW2, and why I do not support ideas like making PvP a totally separate game, with totally separate balance.

EDIT#2: Forgot to add this as well, but they are definitely NOT "making a new feature". They are incorporating a feature that they have always had for a price on a separate realm, into the game for free, which technically, makes it MORE "available to everybody".

Rewards Bit:
In regards to the Vanilla thing;
WoW has moved more and more away from the mindset they had then. Which is a good thing. 1% should not be locked to content anymore - And if they are; It's always available down the road.
It's a pretty decent mindset for PvE - i just wish there was more "locked" for periods of time.

They're clinging to it too hard for PvP.
Yes - Our best players need to be rewarded. However; Nobody else is and that's going to cut into queue times and cause placement deflation. (See: The decrease starting in Cataclysm.)

Having two seperate ladders makes no sense.
There's little point in having "ratings" and a ladder without rewards when there one with.
It's even more confusing to have them awarding separate things. (Not to mention: A waste of resources.)

I'm just very worried that with the next part of my post combined with the current "issues" we're having with drawing people into PvP and getting them to push rating ToTG with our current reward system is going to be just as bad - if not worse - than going after vanity rewards now.

Hopefully this clarified a bit. I'm working on a long post about PvP rewards and it'll be up sometime next week. (Less to do with arenas and more everything entirely. We need updates, badly.)

In regards to the time thing;

If they change TotG to be available every to every other working night and maybe once in a while on a weekend I'll be content with it. I have shift work in the evenings - many people I know do - and my main squeeze also works nights. If we still have say 6 hours to queue on our nights off - That's fine.

We can still push and work towards our goals.
I can still push for "T2" on my alts as well because there'll be time to do it.

However if it's really only 2 nights a week for 4 hours;
I will rarely be able to play with my main partner(s).
I will almost never be able to try pushing rating for basic things like T2 on my alts.
I have to schedule my nights off to play a video game. I won't be able to go out IRL instead.

Increase the amount of days and increase the amount of hours - They'd have less complaints about the time restriction if people didn't have to schedule their lives around it.
I feel really bad for raiders who want to arena in WoD if this doesn't go through.
Edited by Schwert on 12/21/2013 1:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
TOTG definitely has some good points but the time constraint seems ridiculous.

They want to make pvp more accessible and yet implement a core system component that will make pvp about as inaccessible as it has ever been.

I honestly see no benefit of the 4 hour time windows besides speeding up queue times and adding opposition variety to those in R1 range etc, who atm sit in long queues only to face the same team. Its still pretty much instant queues from 0-2200.

Splitting ladders seems like one the worst ideas for pvp in a while.

Fine with TOTG ideas such as no grinding gear, not fine with the time restrictions. I hope they either increase the time window or have it occurring on a more regular basis.

Otherwise I will just flat out not be able to participate due to RL and living in a different time zone.

Edit: breezing through some posts i've noticed people saying ''well we have to raid at certain times, whats the problem?'' lol c'mon now that is totally different from BLIZZARD setting the time for when you are allowed to raid, if I organize with my friends to arena from 3am server on xx-day why can't that be competitive? Why does Blizzard get to set the time of when I get to play when I'm handing them my $15 a month.
Edited by Yuuks on 12/21/2013 2:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
AJ
We say its a dumb idea and it will never go live, but lets take a look at the past shall we we had a mop beta, people complained about the warrior 5 stacks taste for blood and how it was bull crap, guess what it went live. Dks being complete garbage at the beginning of the expansion that went live, frost bomb in its past glory went live, demonology spec and its chaos waves went live, BM hunter stampede went live, sooooo much stupid stuff that should have been looked at and im sure people notified blizzard about went live through the mist of pandaria beta.

I live in guam and certainly won't be able to compete in trials of the gladiator but i honestly won't be suprised if this stupid thing goes live i mean look at the other stupid things that went live.
also honestly i already have a hard time playing with my friends because of separate time zones, i mean i gotta deal with going to gym, work, and university and now you gotta put a limited time where i can do real arenas maaaaaaan.
Edited by Fuarktoast on 12/21/2013 2:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
This is absolute bull!@#$ if the only way to obtain rating is during 'certain times' of the week. I imagine many people would stop even caring/playing.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Monk
Why does no one wait aleast for the beta testing

God i hate these forums more than LoL
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Why does no one wait aleast for the beta testing

Because they also listen during betas.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Pls someone with a brain from blizzard read this:

Im going to sum it all up for you in terms you can understand.

THIS CHANGE (Totg) = drastic loss of subs = less $$ overall in your greedy pockets.

i hope you understand this game has gone way way wayyyyyy downhill an isnt showing an signs of slowing down, honestly if you dont start listening to your community (which you wont from past experience) your not going to have a game at all.

pce.
Reply Quote
1 Human Monk
We say its a dumb idea and it will never go live, but lets take a look at the past shall we we had a mop beta, people complained about the warrior 5 stacks taste for blood and how it was bull crap, guess what it went live. Dks being complete garbage at the beginning of the expansion that went live, frost bomb in its past glory went live, demonology spec and its chaos waves went live, BM hunter stampede went live, sooooo much stupid stuff that should have been looked at and im sure people notified blizzard about went live through the mist of pandaria beta.

I live in guam and certainly won't be able to compete in trials of the gladiator but i honestly won't be suprised if this stupid thing goes live i mean look at the other stupid things that went live.
also honestly i already have a hard time playing with my friends because of separate time zones, i mean i gotta deal with going to gym, work, and university and now you gotta put a limited time where i can do real arenas maaaaaaan.

In the same boat man, cept for living in guam living in aus though, they have to compensate for the oceanic players
Reply Quote
1 Human Monk
why treat the pvpers like crap, when the game slowly declines and no more content is coming out who do you think will keep playing the game, yes the pvpers
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]