It's called flex for a reason...

90 Tauren Druid
I've led Flex a few times, and don't have a set number I go with (other than a good ratio of healers). If I can grab an extra tank I'll do so and get one to go DPS, and 3-tank some fights (Naz, Shammies, and Garrosh).

I have left groups when they refused to let me bring a friend or guildie because they wanted to keep the group at 10 or 14, but unless I have a specific person who wants to come, it's not worth making a fuss over.

There *is* a breakpoint when you hit 15 for mechanics on a few specific fights: one more pool to soak on Malk, one more prison on Sha, etc. At 19, you get another intermission phase on Garrosh. For Siege, there isn't a jump in mechanics, but if you go above 16 or so a lot of tanks can't quite solo their add, and you need a range to switch and help out, and you usually need 2 rather than 1 person on belt (depending on their DPS, I've had a few groups that were still able to solo belt at 20-25 people). As long as everyone is doing well, the additional DPS tends to make up for it, but you do have to switch up the strat slightly sometimes.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
I have never used a limit (other than 25 ofc) for flex nor have I ever not completed a flex run. If you want to min/max flex (and I'm not even really sure why you would) take as many of the best players you can, regardless of what that number is.
Reply Quote
11/19/2013 07:18 AMPosted by Candescently
At 19, you get another intermission phase on Garrosh.

how is this possible when garrosh's intermissions are based upon your DPS?
Reply Quote
94 Human Death Knight
2 - 3 - 5 OR 2 - 2 - 6
2 - 4 - 8 OR 2 - 3 - 9
2 - 5 - 12 OR 2 - 4 - 13
2 - 6 - 17 OR 2 - 5 - 18

5/10 OR 6/10
8/14 OR 9/14
12/19 OR 13/19
17/25 OR 18/25

50% OR 60%
53.5% OR 64.3%
63.2% OR 68.4%
68% OR 72%

Raidcomps -> Ratio of DPS to rest of raid -> Percentage of raid comp

I'm not sure exactly what proportions the boss's health goes up at each breakpoint, but having more people at the same level should result in a smoother run. The only reason you should run fewer than 25 people is for mechanically complicated fights that people refuse to properly follow directions for or any DPS check where people simply aren't pulling their weight.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Boss and add health does not increase at "breakpoints." It literally increases for every player you add to the raid past 10 players (and this is very easy to test).

Blizzard also stated sometime back shortly after the patch release that the boss and add health actually scale slower than what an appropriately-geared, competent player brings to the raid. This supports the numerous anecdotes that 25-man Flex is, in fact, the easiest way to do it.
Edited by Thecheat on 11/19/2013 8:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
25 man flex is absolute faceroll. More than any other number is.

Perfect design.

People are just idiots.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I wish blizzard would deliberately make 14 man groups harder just to do away with this "14 is the easiest" myth.

just for a week or two.

Can't fix stupid, like I said, I saw no difference between 10 and 17-man Sha, or any other boss frankly, but people say it happens at 14/15.

11/19/2013 07:18 AMPosted by Candescently
At 19, you get another intermission phase on Garrosh.

Shows you've never paid attention to the fight, it's entirely based upon your DPS, like us, we only get one realm phase in 10-man due to our DPS.
Edited by Naumu on 11/19/2013 10:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Hell, if I wasn't doing progression and avoiding burn-out like the plague, I'd run 25-man Flex groups just because it guarantees you have at least some number of competent DPS. Not going to until Garrosh is dead though, 'cuz the Legendary grind just makes alts miserable.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I'm more amazed that people still don't understand there are multiple breakpoints, not just at 14.

And some break points aren't even at 14. Try explaining that you get three orbs and not just two at 14 for Norushen and people still don't believe you. Why can't anyone see that back orb?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
The easiest way to do flex is with 25. More room to make up for bad and the mechanics do not scale remotely as wildly as your average flex leader thinks.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
The easiest way to do flex is with 25. More room to make up for bad and the mechanics do not scale remotely as wildly as your average flex leader thinks.

I think it's less this and more the fact that pug "leaders" using oQueue don't believe that Blizzard could possibly make a real scaling system for the raid. This is proven by the perpetuated myth that 15 players "makes it a 25-man raid." Honestly, the stupidity of some people amazes me.
Edited by Thecheat on 11/19/2013 11:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
. At 19, you get another intermission phase on Garrosh.

can't fix stupid all right.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
some people are starting to catch on, i've seen a few 25 man flex runs forming.

while normal is a different beast entirely (need more coordination), in flex things are actually easier with more people.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
The mindset surrounding SoO, and the current incarnation of Flex is set in stone. Nothing we can do about it. The "14 or bust" people aren't going to magically wake up tomorrow and change. Just the way it is...

Blizz has stated, several times now, that WoD will have updated scaling and difficulty for Flex. That is pretty much the only thing that might, and I say might, break this tired mindset and free groups up to run more than 14 without some boogeyman of difficulty scaring them. SoO Flex is doomed to many 14 groups, at least until everyone in the group is in normal/heroic gear 2 months from now. There is still hope for WoD, because expaks tend to have the power to shake out old, bad habits.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Is this mostly an oqueue thing? When I search for flex raids on openraid, there's usually only a few that state a number limit. I guess some of the others might have only taken 14... can't easily tell.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Look at the bright side: If the leader refuses to go until he gets 14 and refuses to take any more than 14, it's a clear signal that the leader's an idiot and the raid will likely suffer from his idiocy.

Even though I don't need gear I still run flex occasionally when I'm testing a new spec or new gear setup. I know to avoid the "14 only" raids.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
11/18/2013 10:16 PMPosted by Au
The blizzcon panels addressed this. They are eliminating breakpoints by using randomization.

That comes next expac.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Is this mostly an oqueue thing? When I search for flex raids on openraid, there's usually only a few that state a number limit. I guess some of the others might have only taken 14... can't easily tell.

Not really. Open Raid doesn't require you to put a number on there. So I see plenty of raids with 40 people signed up and 12 approved (because they have 2 tanks from guild) or things like that.
Reply Quote
Boss and add health does not increase at "breakpoints." It literally increases for every player you add to the raid past 10 players (and this is very easy to test).

Blizzard also stated sometime back shortly after the patch release that the boss and add health actually scale slower than what an appropriately-geared, competent player brings to the raid. This supports the numerous anecdotes that 25-man Flex is, in fact, the easiest way to do it.

Competent player is also somethin that honestly gets over interpreted as well. Competent does not mean they need to be able to pull normal level raider dps/healin in order to down the content. Take the average normal mode parse for a fight. If you're within 10-20% (made up numbers on my part) of that number, you've got more than enough to be in a flex run.

In fact, honestly its pretty easy to carry a full 25 flex run if you just have a good foundation of about 6-7 dps and 2-3 good healers with plenty of room for error on all sides.
Reply Quote
95 Gnome Warlock
Why do 550+ ilvl people que for flex anyways, are you that bored? Stop taking spots of people that need it. Disgusting example of the selfishness that is the WoW player base.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]