Low on meters as Holy

90 Pandaren Priest
Posted this on priest fourms as well but I want as much advice as possible

Now I know healing meters are not a great measure of skill. But I have been noticing that I have not been healing as much as the big smart/proactive healers (druids/paladins). I was wondering if It was just supposed to be this way or if I'm doing something wrong.

Granted I'm doing lfr, so its possible that those people are being spammy spammy. I have been healing in Chakra Sanctuary and have been being more reactive. Already deciding that I need to throw DBM on so I can begin casting prayer of healing/my tier 6 talent right before damage hits. but I was wondering if this was not the style I should be using. Like, should I be blanketing people with renew in Serenity instead?

Just curious. I'm used to being a resto druid and watching those ticks heal massive damage on cooldown. So being low on the meters (once again even though they don't mean jack) is a little disheartening
Edited by Sanosuke on 11/18/2013 3:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
LFR is spammy and a bad indication of skill and specs.

That said, Holy Priests are easily sniped by Druids/Shaman—particularly after the changes to EoL—and Paladins/Disc Priests will snipe the HoT snipers.

When damage is heavy and overhealing lessens, Holy Priests are more the capable.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

That said, Holy Priests are easily sniped by Druids/Shaman—particularly after the changes to EoL—and Paladins/Disc Priests will snipe the HoT snipers.

When damage is heavy and overhealing lessens, Holy Priests are more the capable.

Yeah I kind of figured. See my hps will be crap and then out of nowehere jump a bit due to swelling pride or quills or what have you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Yeah I kind of figured. See my hps will be crap and then out of nowehere jump a bit due to swelling pride or quills or what have you.

If you can shoot for a high crit % (for instance i am here at 37% which become +52% raid buffed while maxing 2p T16 bonus) some insane things happen for disc.
If you learn how to use Divine Star well you can guarantee +400k Divine Aegis on the whole raid almost all the time. This is also why folks hate disc priests so much. But this takes practice and access to gear (+ an impeccable mana regen rotation as you reforge and regem for crit exclusively).

Crazy build but rewarding when you do it right.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
If you can shoot for a high crit % (for instance i am here at 37% which become +52% raid buffed while maxing 2p T16 bonus) some insane things happen for disc.
If you learn how to use Divine Star well you can guarantee +400k Divine Aegis on the whole raid almost all the time. This is also why folks hate disc priests so much. But this takes practice and access to gear (+ an impeccable mana regen rotation as you reforge and regem for crit exclusively).

Crazy build but rewarding when you do it right.

Low on meters as Holy

Holy
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
In LFR, and in 25m, renew blanketing isn't nearly as effective. Similar to issues that Resto Druids face rejuve blanketing in 25m, it's simply not sustainable and it's a lot to manage.

LFR is generally underhealed, unless the other healers are extremely weak or in DPS spec.

My advice is to abuse FDCL's interaction with your 2pc (if you have the 2pc, I didn't look!). You can get a lot of instants this way that really do assist in keeping up with other healers.

Try to reach the 2nd lightwell breakpoint if possible (4,716). This is also a sniping machine-- it general works well outside of Malkorok (it confuses actual health % with shield percentage, so if someone is at full shield but low health, it'll just keep smacking them -_-).

Int and Mastery are your friends. EoL does have high overheal and just doesn't shine when everyone and their mother is healing (especially if you have DA absorbs from a disc priest around). However Int is nearly always valuable for Holy.

Check out the Holy priest guide over to Howtopriest as well, to get a general guideline of Holy gameplay.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
LFR is an overheal-fest. Seriously. Don't worry about your numbers in LFR. Since we are reactive, most of our heals will be sniped, especially since they re-worked (nerfed) Echo.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You're comparing yourself to a powerhouse (paladin) with absorbs (which always hit first), and a class with a ground effect (which will probably hit before you can cast), and HoT's (which will likely hit before yours can).

LFR is also a snipefest for healers.

That said, don't take it to heart.

I normally tell people not to worry about overheals, but take a look at the overheals and see what the total healing including overheals is and see how you stack up including those. You might be closer than you think.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
Don't pay it any mind, especially LFR.

Damage is so light in LFR, smart heals and puddle heals grab up all the healing, so meters mean nothing.

Even in real raiding, you do not need to truly begin looking at these things until wipes are occurring, and even then only if it is actually a throughput problem, as opposed to a tank swap, or standing in bad stuff, or mechanical problem.

Holy Priests of all specs tend to get eclipsed by others. But they are actually fine, it's just not something you would guess looking at meters.

normally tell people not to worry about overheals, but take a look at the overheals and see what the total healing including overheals is and see how you stack up including those. You might be closer than you think

What for?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
normally tell people not to worry about overheals, but take a look at the overheals and see what the total healing including overheals is and see how you stack up including those. You might be closer than you think

What for? [/quote]

Total Raw output.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
Total Raw output.

He's a Holy Priest. He innately has massive raw output--when he chooses to use it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Yet again, Out healed and abused for low Healing.
Played this character as my Main for 5 years. Holy Priest 552 Ilvl,

Two Druids were 561 geared.
Low Latency and have easy abilities for healing.
Cast large aoe circle and group rejuvs.
Stand in the fire and just heal through it.
112k heals

Holy Priests

Renews too low and slow.
Flash heal too slow.
Heal is not possible.
AOE circles are smaller, have less throughput.
47K heals
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
112k heals

Holy Priests

Renews too low and slow.
Flash heal too slow.
Heal is not possible.
47K heals

Then play the better spec...?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Yet again, Out healed and abused for low Healing.
Played this character as my Main for 5 years. Holy Priest 552 Ilvl,

112k heals

Holy Priests

Renews too low and slow.
Flash heal too slow.
Heal is not possible.
47K heals

Wat. I admit, druids are powerful, but.. holy is still powerful, too. Only reason I switched from my holy priest is because I got tired of healing on a priest and because my cohealer wanted my shaman's utility. Holy have AMAZING raw hps output if you play it right. Of course, if you mean LFR, don't bother looking at the meters, that won't help you. If it's flex or normal - then there are several things to look at. Number of healers in comparison to total players. The less other healers there are, the more numbers you'll put out. Are people being oneshot by stupidity? Are people dying?

But seriously, in LFR, if you have two 550+ healers in there that are actually working ,don't worry about it. Just spam renew and flash heals so you do something. CoH as an instant is lovely. Divine Star on stacked fights. Halo for a big aoe heal otherwise. Or switch to disc just to atonement spam if your heal sniping isn't working.
Edited by Arynevia on 11/29/2013 1:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
There is a simple explanation, Holy sucks, respec disc because it is god healing spec!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
There is a simple explanation, Holy sucks, respec disc because it is god healing spec!

Holy sucks at sniping. It does not suck at throughput.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Nah, what sucks is a majority of people don't know how to play holy.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Um,

i'm pretty sure holy does not suck.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/29/2013 01:38 PMPosted by Elethia

Holy sucks at sniping. It does not suck at throughput.

This.

Disc is great for meters, and healing in general, but on normal mode content where there are big raid wide damage spikes is where Holy starts to build steam, there's not a spec in this game with the AoE burst of a well played Holy priest.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Disc is great for meters, and healing in general, but on normal mode content where there are big raid wide damage spikes is where Holy starts to build steam, there's not a spec in this game with the AoE burst of a well played Holy priest.

The issue is really that there isn't enough damage floating around in SoO, even on Heroic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]