Low on meters as Holy

100 Night Elf Druid
The issue is that people are so bad at understanding healer performance, they think meters actually measure something meaningful.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Im not a big raider, but in regards to healing do people watch meters like for dps? healing is totally different? you can only heal as much damage taken, and then if heals doing job, (and tbh snipes always gunna be high) who cares about meter, the only thing would be looking at is dispels if need.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Essentially.

There is no 'winning' at healing meters, because unlike our dps counterparts, there is a limited amount of healing to be done in any given space in time. If a person's sole focus is to top the healing meters, then they should reconsider the role they are playing and go roll a mage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The issue is that people are so bad at understanding healer performance, they think meters actually measure something meaningful.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think you're looking at this in the correct mindset. If someone is doing less than 20% of the healing (because there is nothing to heal, thanks to Disc absorbing so much of the damage, and there being so little damage going out in the first place), then you're better off dropping them and going with the smaller group of healers.

This is why most of SoO is 4 healed.

Im not a big raider, but in regards to healing do people watch meters like for dps? healing is totally different? you can only heal as much damage taken, and then if heals doing job, (and tbh snipes always gunna be high) who cares about meter, the only thing would be looking at is dispels if need.

They care because that extra healer isn't needed. So why not sit them for a DPS?

You're right. There IS only so much that can be healed in a given encounter. And because of the relatively low damage in most of the heroics this tier, as well as Disc's absurd scaling with Crit, there simply isn't enough for many throughput classes to heal past all of the other sniping. So people lose raid spots, or feel carried because they have nothing to do. Which blows.
Edited by Tiriél on 11/30/2013 12:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
11/30/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Tiriél

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think you're looking at this in the correct mindset. If someone is doing less than 20% of the healing (because there is nothing to heal, thanks to Disc absorbing so much of the damage, and there being so little damage going out in the first place), then you're better off dropping them and going with the smaller group of healers.

This is why most of SoO is 4 healed.

There are only 2 fights in SoO that are generally 4 healed (Garrosh and Siegecrafter), even when you look at what guilds at the top 10 World level did. Granted, those two fights are arguably over half of the overall progression time in SoO, but there is really little reason to drop below even 6 healers on any of the other 12 fights. We don't even generally do it for farm rekills.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
There are only 2 fights in SoO that are generally 4 healed (Garrosh and Siegecrafter), even when you look at what guilds at the top 10 World level did. Granted, those two fights are arguably over half of the overall progression time in SoO, but there is really little reason to drop below even 6 healers on any of the other 12 fights. We don't even generally do it for farm rekills.

You could also argue that they're the only fights (outside of Klaxxi, I suppose) that have serious difficulty, too. But doesn't it strike you as strange that the hardest fights still have such low healing requirements that it's even possible to do that? Yet, there's a fight in the same tier that all but requires 8 healers to do it effectively unless you overgear the encounter.

A lot of guilds also 4 healed Norushen, and it's possible to 4 heal several of the other fights, as well. Honestly, it makes quite a few of them easier.. And I'm not sure that comparing the top 10 world guilds (who were doing the content severely undergeared in comparison to the others who came along later) is really the way to go here. They do not, by any means, form a "majority" of guilds out there. That's 10 guilds out of..what...over 5000?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
11/30/2013 03:22 PMPosted by Tiriél

You could also argue that they're the only fights (outside of Klaxxi, I suppose) that have serious difficulty, too. But doesn't it strike you as strange that the hardest fights still have such low healing requirements that it's even possible to do that? Yet, there's a fight in the same tier that all but requires 8 healers to do it effectively unless you overgear the encounter.

A lot of guilds also 4 healed Norushen, and it's possible to 4 heal several of the other fights, as well. Honestly, it makes quite a few of them easier.. And I'm not sure that comparing the top 10 world guilds (who were doing the content severely undergeared in comparison to the others who came along later) is really the way to go here. They do not, by any means, form a "majority" of guilds out there. That's 10 guilds out of..what...over 5000?

Guilds at the world first level are the ones most likely to be dropping healers because
(1) They are doing the fights at such a lower gear level compared to guilds doing it a couple of months later that they are far more likely to have to in order to meet DPS thresholds/enrage
(2) They are generally better at mechanics execution/not taking avoidable damage than lower ranked guilds, resulting in less healing required.
Generally, if a world first level guild can 6 heal a fight, there is no reason for a lower ranked guild hitting the fight with much more gear to use less than that during progression.

They screwed up the design of Blackfuse big time; there just is not enough raid damage going out on that fight, and even the burst damage magnet phases are pretty tame. It's boring to heal with 4 healers. I wouldn't necessarily agree that Garrosh is a fight that has a low healing requirement. With 4 healers, through P3 (first ~10 minutes), you need every healer to put out 200-300k sustained HPS, which is fairly intensive given that there are also parts of the first 3 phases where there is very little damage. The total amount of damage (excluding P4 which has almost no healing required) is consistent with a fight that was designed for like 6 healers. The reason Garrosh is 4 healed is because the top guilds needed to do it to hit DPS benchmarks, and the guilds doing it now with more gear can avoid a second P3 empowered whirling corruption with 4 healers (greatly reducing the amount of P3 wipes). Despite the high healing requirements, you can get away with 4 because of how strong raid cooldowns (including offspec are) and the strong personal CDs almost every class has.

As far as Norushen, it was only 4 healed the first week because every one was just zerging it instead of doing the tests, greatly reducing the total amount of raid damage. If they hadn't screwed up that fight and actually released it with the mechanics they had to hotfix in a week later, it would have been 5-6 healed.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
To be fair I'd say the majority of disc priests don't know what they are doing as well but the problem is you can still out heal people in lfr just pressing smite. Holy is very prone to being sniped in LFR as well. Only trust lfr meters as far as you can throw them and considering that usually lfr groups are really heavy it shouldn't be too far =)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
To be fair I'd say the majority of disc priests don't know what they are doing as well but the problem is you can still out heal people in lfr just pressing smite. Holy is very prone to being sniped in LFR as well. Only trust lfr meters as far as you can throw them and considering that usually lfr groups are really heavy it shouldn't be too far =)

I haven't ran into a single disc priest in LFR that does anything except spam atonement. I look at their spells used. Never a PW:Shield, never a spirit shell, rarely even a level 90 talent. Atonement and DA are 100% of their healing, and they still stop the meters. Just the nature of disc and smart heals.

Plus OP you have to take into consideration, LFR is very "spammy." Most of the LFR healers don't want to do anything but look good on meters, so they will quite literally spam every heal they have regardless if there's damage going out or not just so they can get a piece of the action. I always find it funny when the fight hasn't been even going on for 1-2 minutes and most of the healers are already almost oom and I"m sitting at full mana while still being top of the meters.

Tl;DR Don't take LFR seriously, it's a joke.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

*nods*
Edited by Pocksii on 12/12/2013 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
I really wish there was someway to know that u r improving, or know what u need to improve on. I am often 3rd or 4th on meters, and my overheal is high. So I take these two things, and think I must be slow, or doing something incorrect.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/29/2013 01:38 PMPosted by Elethia
Holy sucks at sniping. It does not suck at throughput.

There will come a time when things get out of hand and healers die. You will find yourself and maybe one or two other healers a live healing your butts off. When the dust clears, check your meter and you will see what Holy priests can pump out.

edit: quoted for truth.
Edited by Grandpaw on 1/28/2014 1:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
01/28/2014 09:15 AMPosted by Sunshyn
I really wish there was someway to know that u r improving, or know what u need to improve on. I am often 3rd or 4th on meters, and my overheal is high. So I take these two things, and think I must be slow, or doing something incorrect.

Depends on what is dominating your overheal. That's about the only thing meters really ARE good for; spell usage breakdown. If most of your overheal, as holy, is EoL and one of your level 90 talents (halo being the biggest infringer), then don't worry about your overheal; it's normal. I recall EoL being massive overheal all the time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]