Why do you Heal?

I saw a thread of this topic over on the Tanking forum, so I thought I would bring it over here.

A. Why do you Heal?
B. How did you get started Healing?
C. Do you Heal exclusively or play other roles?
D. Is Healing your preferred role to play?

A. Because it's fun. My reason is entirely selfish and I just love smacking the green bars back up, and knowing that we killed the Raid Boss in part because I did not let us die.

B. I just started on this very toon in MoP, ~October. I decided I liked the tribal, primitive feel of a Troll + the spiritual nature of a Shaman, with full intention of playing Elemental, and offspecing Resto. I tried Restoration at level 30, fully respecced just to have it listed as my Main Spec, and that's that.

C. I Heal ~90% of the time. I leveled a Warrior Tank up to 90, and occasionally play several DPS alts.

D. Yes. But probably only as Shaman. If Resto Shaman didn't exist, I would likely main Prot Warrior.

Tell us yours.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
A) I like it. I have since I first healed, back in Cata. And even if it gets rather boring right now, I still love seeing those healthbars move back up, heh.

B) I started as shadow, but while leveling I decided I didn't like it. Went holy, never looked back.

C) I play healers almost exclusively, but not always. Occasionally I tank or dps (usually melee).

D)Yes, as pretty much any healer spec. Only one I haven't raided at max level with is Holy Pally, mine is sitting at 89, will get her to 90 soon. Other than that, I do prefer healing. Specifically, right now it is Shaman = Monk = Druid > Holy Priest > Disc Priest > Holy Pally.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
A) I find it fun.

B) I started this druid in BC and only played feral and boomkin. During Wrath dual boxing came out and friends suggested I try out resto, fell in love with it and they fell in love with me as a healer and I stuck with it.

C) I play other roles. I've tanked before and DPSed but I prefer healing. I've dpsed before for raids but hated it, if I have the option to heal then I want to heal.

D) Yessss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
MY narcissism knows no bounds:
A. Why do you Heal?

A.) It's the most fun role in my favorite thing: raids
B.) My friends tricked my into playing a priest instead of my initial preferred (warlock)
C.) I have all 11 classes at 90 and can step into any class/spec: http://www.guildox.com/wow/toon/us/Shadowsong/Twistedmind
D.) Definitively my preferred. Proactive healers get my vote over reactive (disc, rdruid, mwmonk >>> hpriest, pal, sham)
Edited by Twistedmind on 11/19/2013 12:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
11/18/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Kuwilei
A. Why do you Heal?

Because DPS is boring.

Played a Cleric on a Neverwinter Nights Persistent World Server. Got addicted to casting Heal on Undead.

I have some tank specs, and some DPS specs. I really don't play any of them.

Yes.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
A. I hate myself.

B. Someone told me druids were good back in vanilla, and I believed them without doing any research. Mostly they wanted another innervate.

C. In raids? Just healing. I usually level as a tank spec if the class has one available. I also tank and/or dps dungeons depending on the fastest way to get valor given whatever 2 specs I have and whether or not the dungeon needs a dedicated healer.

D. Yes.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
A) Because I don't trust other people to keep me alive.

B) This is my first toon, I started in Wrath as a boomchicken, and as I was leveling and learning, a group of guildies decided to take their alts through a dungeon (Maraudon?). They needed a healer, so I learned on the fly and loved it.

C) I have pretty much one of everything, so yes, I do play things other than a healer, but I really am not as good at DPS or tanking.

D) Absolutely!
Reply Quote
15 Human Mage
A. Why do you Heal?

It's the only role in this game I could ever really enjoy for long.

Priest was my second level 60 in vanilla and I pretty much have played a healer since (somewhat scared that I've been playing this game off and on for 9 years).

I've played almost every class to 90 (every class to at least 85+) but I spend most of my time at max level in every expansion on my healers. Since TBC I tend to level every or almost every class to max level though. At the very least it's nice to have access to multiple character's professions.

Yup!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
A. Why do you Heal?

Because it's fun and I die if I let strangers heal.

After years of playing an elemental shaman, a friend convinced me to level a disc priest. Once I got past the fear of everyone dying and the world ending, I figured out I was pretty good.. and more to the point, quite enjoyed healing.

I dps in dungeons sometimes, but for raiding, I only heal.

Absolutely.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
1). I kinda touched on this on your tanking version of this thread. Given my one and only experience raid tanking I found it way easier than DPSing or healing, but if I died it's a wipe. DPSing was a lot harder for me since I had to keep my rotation as tight as can be and at the same time be in the right place at the right time at all times, but much less of an issue if I died. Healing is kinda the best of both worlds. Basically just gotta make sure noone dies and stay out of bad stuff. If you die they'll feel the pinch, but nothing game-breaking.

2). After finding out monk healers heal by melee DPSing I went ahead and took the plunge. It's now my favorite DPS spec (with enhancement a close second).

3). I primarily tank, but I'll play all 3 roles eventually.

4). Only if it's on my monk. I tried druid healing but unless a tank dies/drops group/DCs etc (where I can switch to bear and temp tank) it's pretty boring. Same with disc priest although he's only lvl 55ish, so I might be missing something.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
A. Why do you Heal?

A) I wanted to heal since I wanted to play the game. So it's been... since launch. I didn't get a chance to actually play until MoP due to real life obligations. But I always always always knew I wanted to heal. Healing to me is the most engaging role available, and I enjoy the community of healers.

B) RAF with my bf. He wanted to level a tank and said "pick a healer". I of course, knew I wanted a priest since I had my eyes on them for ages. I was reading priest theory long before I even played.

C) I heal exclusively because a shadow priest wouldn't be an asset to my raid at this time. I would go shadow at some point if it was needed.

D) Any other role is mundane and unfun to me. Another reason I rolled priest. I can get away with mostly saying "my OS is also heals!"
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A. I love healing, just fell in to it. Keeping people alive just makes me happy.

B. Long long ago when I first started I rolled many different characters and never got them beyond 20. Then I played a pally, loved it, and I think I was too young to quite understand that holy was meant to heal people (not be very good at questing), but I still knew I was a healer. Lol.

C. I almost exclusively heal. I only DPS when I have to grind dailies or do Isle. But since I'm pretty well geared I can do dailies pretty easily in healing spec.

D. DPS'ing is ok. I have quite a few 90's, some healers, some DPS. But healing will always be my thing, and I will always love it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
A. Why do you Heal?

Because it is the only role that changes every single encounter. Other roles do the same exact thing at the same exact time, but healing takes the play of the rest of the raid into account, and it is never the same.

When i started playing i was in a tiny guild. Didn't know anyone in the game and was playing a ret pally. We would do dingeons and stuff and this was before DF so you needed to know a healer to get moving. At the time i had no real idea how the game worked so i saved up 1000 gold and bought duel specs and tried to heal holy in ret gear. Turns out that doesn't work so well.

I have tanked and dps'ed over the years, and keep respectable dps sets, but prefer healing.

If i wasn't able to play healer, i'd likely not play this game.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
A. Why do you Heal?

A. I find the role interesting but generally I'm often roped into doing it. I hear things like "But you're good at it." and "I don't want to die."

B. Originally people needed a healer for 5 mans as I was leveling a shaman early on in the days before the dungeon finder. Later in TBC after my guild got absorbed into a raiding guild as casual members. One day one of the officers hops down into our casual corner in vent.

"Hey, I hear you're a healer. We have an emergency. <Healer A> is sick with the flu and she won't leave until we find a replacement. It'll be easy. All you have to do is keep this warlock alive while he tanks a blind dude."

That was the guild's first kill of Leo the Blind. Eventually, way later on, I even figured out what I was doing kind of. :)

C & D. These questions are very intwined for me.

I really enjoy all the roles of the game. Maximizing healing output and utilizing triage (rare now days but ...) is interesting. Rapid target switching and forcing the sun, stars and moon to align for bigger yellow numbers can be fun. A frantic game of add pick-up while keeping up defensive buffs, utilizing self heals and keeping the boss in a good position can be exciting.

I've found that learning how to tank and dps has made me better in all three roles.

So yes, I do play other roles although due to answer A I mostly heal unless left to my own devices.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

A. Why do you Heal?

A) After trying DPSing and Tanking, Healing was the one thing I never really did. I decided to branch out and give it a try.

B) Back when ZG was a 20 man raid, I was playing a ret paladin at one point and the guild tried to get me in as a healer, and I sucked. Dropped the healer ball until now.

C) I play other roles, mostly DPS with a warrior/paladin, sometimes tanking with a DK.

D) I'm starting to like it. But I don't think I could play it without the MW being able to punch things and heal his party at the same time.

I like my melee.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
A) I just found it more fun than DPS.

B) I was a lock in vanilla, when we were doing MC, we were always low on healers, so I decided to level a druid and be a healer.

C) I try DPS on my lock, or even boomkin on druid, or WW on this toon, but I just don't find it that fun.

D) Definitely. I'd probably quit if I couldn't heal raids anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
A. Why do you Heal?

I heal mainly because when I first played WoW it was after having played a cleric in EQ, and so healing was something that was interesting to me. I created this priest in March of 2005, and ever since then I've been healing on a priest. If I could play any role in the game, it would be a healer... healing is my passion I guess. I've found that being a successful healer requires more than just pressing buttons at the right time. It requires constant time lapse of thinking ahead and planning things out in your mind. Healing, IMO, is more engaging and challenging than playing a Damage Dealer, or a Tank. Not only because I have to do all of the above, but because I'm required to watch what everyone does at any given time to maximize my capabilities.

In original WoW, shadow and disc both pretty much sucked, so I got thrown into it pretty quickly. It's important if you're starting out as a healer now, that you practice above all. I'm where I'm today simply because I've been practicing for 9 years now as a healer. When I heal, almost everything, even situational, I find to be muscle memory. I remember when I was coming back from a 4-5 month hiatus from FL coming back into DS -- I would run every LFR I could on my healers to get back into the groove. You have to crawl before you walk, so my advice to anyone that is starting out as a new healer: practice, practice, practice.

I play a Discipline Priest, Restoration Druid, Restoration Shaman, Holy Paladin, Mistweaver Monk... as well as being proficiently able to play Shadow, Balance/Feral, Elemental/Enhance, Ret, (not ww f u game), Hunter, and a Destro Lock.

9/10 healing is my favorite thing to do in the game. But it needs balance and moderation not to burn out. I prefer to only heal on my priest in our main heroic raids -- anything else I'll play shadow.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
A. It's more challenging imo. Especially as a MW where I can try and push my DPS to boot.

B. We were always short a healer in Wrath so I stepped up from being a Boomkin when we needed another healer and found I liked it. :) Eventually my former GM made me a full time because I had a knack for it.

C. Pretty exclusively, though I still bring out said Boomkin here and there. My tanking set has really only come into play with H Shaman and sits there otherwise.

D. Definitely. Not as much responsibility as a tank but more-so than a DPS. It's perfect.
Edited by Lumiair on 11/19/2013 9:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

A. Why do you Heal?

Tell us yours.

A. It's fun and I like having a more critical role in a group.

B. I had been playing a Mage exclusively from BC to Wrath. ToC was the current raid, Faction Champs had just unlocked, my raid guild attempted it, wiped a ton of times, and something in me burnt out. Tried playing other dps classes before realizing that I was sick of dps. Switched my Ret Pally to Holy, was scared as !@#$ healing for the first time, and then never looked back. ADDICTED.

C. Heal and dps. Never tanked. It intrigues me at times, then I read over how to do it, get overwhelmed and stick to healing and dps :)

D. I bounce back and forth between healing and dps. I'd say I prefer it only because queue times are VASTLY shorter than for dps. But I really enjoy Windwalker dps. Very fun playstyle. I'd put it and Mistweaver as equals on the fun factor scale.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
A. Why do you Heal?

It's kind of like PvP - it's different every time, and you're 'fighting' other players rather than the boss - but they actually like you for it, and you're not chain-CCd all the time.

The WoW version of it also appeals to the part of me that likes math and Tetris.

I played a red mage in FFXI because I liked being in demand and able to solo ridiculous things. I discovered that I actually liked the supporting role better than I'd ever liked DPSing. So I rolled a healer in WoW and discovered that WoW healing was even more intricate and fast-paced and reactive.

(I do kind of miss some of the 'support' elements of RDM with its assorted subclasses, and I definitely miss being able to solo difficult content. But not every game has One Class to Rule Them All.)

I play other roles. I've actually been Shadow MS this whole expansion because my raid group had an abundance of healers. I may end up tanking the end of MoP, and it's possible I might be a tank going into WoD.

Yes.
Edited by Kaels on 11/19/2013 9:19 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]