Why do you Heal?

100 Human Priest
A - I fell in love with the character creation description of the priest. Assisting allies, etc.

B - I've always gravitated to group content. Put my first talent points in holy, etc. Played as a duo with my husband's warlock. He had played WoW a bit longer and had a rough time convincing me that we couldn't go into blackfathom deeps as just the two of us.

C - Mostly heal. Random farming reputation, mounts, and pets aside. My first alt is generally a healer also.

D - Yes. Healing >> tanking > ranged dps >>> melee dps (how anyone can manage to stay in range of something to hit it when it is that huge and isn't hitting you, is completely beyond me)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
A. Why do you Heal?
B. How did you get started Healing?
C. Do you Heal exclusively or play other roles?
D. Is Healing your preferred role to play?

A. Because frozen hates himself and needs to heal someone through the fire. Really because i do like it most days.

B. Hmm. I tried DPS'ing as a mage and decided I didn't like it and someone said to me I think you would like a priest and would be a decent healer. So i made one and that was how it happened. sort of like magic.

C. I heal mainly but I am trying to tank as well now. whoo. stay out of low-level dungeons if you know what's good for you.

D. It's my preferred role, but do most people prefer me not to have it....that's a different story.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
A. Why do you Heal?

Fun thread :)

A. I like being able to help others, I like the shorter queues, I like being needed, I like feeling like I have control of everyone's lives in my hands, I like feeling like a copilot...I'm not in charge but I'm the next close thing to it.

I like when people are appreciative of the job I do, it makes me feel good. I like the feeling of accomplishment when we do well, and I know I played a large role in that. I find it fun and dynamic and interesting. I love that there's no rotation, no doing it right or doing it wrong unless people die.

I'm also just naturally good at it, probably cause I'm a bit OCD, but I'm better at it than DPS or tanking, and I enjoy it. It took me several years to come to this realization and be happy with that.

B. My ex-boyfriend wanted someone to run around and heal him while he leveled, and I thought it sounded cool. I figured priests were the "real" healers but on a PVP server I was afraid I'd be too weak in cloth, so I went pally. (Vanilla pallies sucked btw)

Long story short I eventually got some confidence and did that priest, made some friends to regularly run with, started realizing I was pretty good at it and got a lot of groups, rest is history.

C. I primarily heal. In LFR's or other raids I can't remember the last time I DPS'd willingly. If not healing I will ranged DPS. I will very very occasioanlly dabble in tanking. I refuse to melee dps.

D. Yes, by far. See answer A. :)

BTW, I love how similar all our stories are. We all seem to have stumbled into it by necessity, or came from other game where it's all we knew, got used to it, loved it, and don't want to do anything else. We rock. :P
Edited by Tukie on 11/20/2013 3:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
A. Repetition. Tanks and DPS react to a static boss. Healers react to living players. It's always different.

B. My priest was my 3rd 60 back in 06. My lock was weak back then, and I didn't like PvP so my shammy wasn't much scratch either. A mate dragged me into healing a nightmare dragon world boss at Lvl 56 as shadow :P 8 years of healing later and here we are.

C. I play Shadow a tonne too, DPS can be relaxing sometimes and my co-healers don't DPS well.

D. As much as I love Shadow after I've run a boss a few times and learnt when to move etc it's just rotation, utility, rotation, complain about playing perfectly and still getting out dps'd by the Mage standing in fire...but Healing is always changing, plus I get to let the Mage die...I'll always be a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
A. Why do you Heal?
I started healing because nobody else wanted to do it. Also, I was good at it and my friends were not to be trusted.
I actually played elemental in pre-bc until AQ opened. I healed and killed efficiently in pvp until I got HWL. It was pointless to be resto back then in pvp because the only thing you gained was mana tide totem. When you could kill things in 3 spells it was better to just play ele and cast heals for your team when needed.
I have dabbled in all aspects and I find all of them equally interesting.
I typically choose to heal now for queue times but I love to be top damage in raids. It is very fulfilling. To heal and be fulfilled I would have to do something difficult like heroics or pioneering something like during wrath launch most guilds on my server were using 3 healers in 10 man naxx and malygos but our guild used 2 due to lack of healers. That was really fun and challenging.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Good questions!

A. Why do you Heal?
It's a more rewarding sort of challenge than DPSing, partly because of perks like shorter queue times, but partly because of the task itself. Whereas DPS is all about executing a rotation to precision, healing is more improvisational in nature. It's the difference between playing a piano concerto and a jazz solo. Both require skill, but the latter person is probably having more fun.

Healing dungeons in Cataclysm.

I keep a Warlock on hand for when I'm in the mood to melt face.

It hasn't always been, but lately I've been learning Disc spec and unlocking more of its potential. The more I get away from Holy (a broken spec imo, at least for 10m, but that's another thread), the more I'm coming to prefer healing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
A. Why do you Heal?

I don't care for tanking or DPSing. Fortunately I'm good at healing and it is in demand.

I started playing WoW to spend time with my husband. He played a mage at first so I decided a tank would be useful, I chose a paladin because I thought a tank that could also heal would be great (yes, I was a noob). My husband leveled a paladin with me and when we hit 70 he decided he was going to switch to his paladin for his main and tank! Then I found out how complicated tanking was at 70 (defense cap, being uncrushable, all those things tanks don't have to worry about these days plus paladin tanks had to have int to make sure they didn't run out of mana). A guildie suggested it was easier to get ready to heal and as a healer I'd have a better chance of getting into a group. Husband helped me change my spec and that was that.

If I am in a group I am healing. I'm not a very good DPS and have only one pure DPS alt, a mage who is profession toon and cake/portal vendor.

Yes. If I ever lose interest in healing I'll be unsubbing.
Edited by Zyriva on 11/21/2013 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
A. Why do you Heal?

A. Because when I started raiding as a DPS a long time ago, it was the healers that were our weakest link as a raid. I liked having more of a hand in a role that would directly lead to success. Plus, an encounter can be very different from week to week as a healer, which keeps things fresh.

B. Healing 40 mans in Vanilla. After a (substantial) break, I levelled this druid and did dungeon / LFR healing in Cata. Normal raided in MoP.

C. In raids, only heal. I do DPS in dungeons / scenarios sometimes, but I really like healing. Plus if you overgear you can DPS in healing gear.

D. Yes, though I can DPS too if the group needed. I've never attempted raid tanking and the idea sounds terrifying.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
A. Why do you Heal?

A. I seem to enjoy being a masochist when it comes to PvP healing. Plus, healing a bunch of incompetent and crazy players in random battlegrounds when on my healing alts definitely makes my heart race and welcome the challenge.

B. I was purely a DPS player when I first started playing towards the end of WotLK. I made a restoration shaman back in the beginning of Cata (not this one, but my very first shaman and I still don't know why I deleted her) and the spec made me fall in love with healing.

C. I play DPS but have gravitated towards the healing role, especially on the PvP aspect of the game. Having healers turn the tide of any battle (both in PvE and PvP) and apparently the healing role chose me.

D. Yup. I can't seem to stand the predictable nature of the DPS role anymore unless I'm questing and prefer the insanity that is healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A. Why do you Heal?

I heal because i enjoy keeping others up, and since i mainly pvp, i have more fun being able to live by myself then to die as a dps.

I got started back in lich king when i came back from a break. I was originally prot, and just began building my T9, and buying some T10 pieces when i could. My older brother told me if i heal i could start raiding with him, so i did. I started a holy set and started healing!

Yes. healing is by far my most preferred role. If i can heal on any toon / class, i will.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
A. Why do you Heal?

There's something really fulfilling about knowing that you're keeping people alive. I love it when I see those green bars fill up, knowing it was my doing. I also agree with people saying it feels more relaxed - with tanks you're worrying about mechanics constantly, with DPS you're obsessed with the charts. Healers have responsibility but not as much as the tanks, and definitely don't have to worry about meters as much as DPS. It's an enjoyable middle ground.

I started this Priest as my first character in Cata. I hadn't read up on any of the classes before getting the free trial, as all the crappy free MMOs I had played before actually having enough money for a WoW subscription only ever had one class, the Cleric, able to have a heal spec. So Priest was the class I chose, figuring that it was the sole healer class. The fact that there are so many different healer classes with different styles still amazes me, and I've tried them all. But I always go back to this Holy Priest in the end.

I'm definitely an altoholic so it varies. I'll focus on one character for a couple of weeks or a month, get bored suddenly, and switch to another. Just recently I was solely on my Hunter for a couple of months, then my Resto Shaman for two weeks, then my Resto Druid for a week, and now I've come back to my Priest again. You get the picture. I have alts of every class so switch between all three roles.

As I said, I'm pretty flighty. But I guess I'd say yes, as I always end up coming back to healing after maining a DPS or tank alt for a while. Last year I quit WoW for GW2 and ended up coming back because I had to have my healing fix. "I just want to cast Greater Heal on someone and see their health go up!" was literally my thought for about a fortnight before I gave in and came crawling back to sate my healing addiction.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A. Why do you Heal?

A. I think its fun.
B. Wrath. OMG the queue times.
C. I created this pally with the intention of tanking for my brothers guild. I made it to level 60 before I was, "!@#$ this %^-*!" Played Ret for most of wrath because that's what I finished leveling as. Then the guild made me heal for them during a 25m ulduar run. Everyone said I did a good job so I was all, "no moar que waits 4 meeeez"
D. If I'm raiding then I'm healing. My friend made me dps SoO on my alt pally last week and I darn near fell over from boredom. Nothing irritates me more than dpsing. My MW and Priest don't even have dps specs.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
A. Why do you Heal?

A. I love teamwork, strategy, planning, and execution. DPS is solo play amongst a crowd, but healing is a real co-operative, support type role. That fits my personality to a T. I am supportive and collaborative IRL and never want to be in the spotlight.

B. My first toon was a warlock, and then I was bored and BC had just come out so I leveled a Draenei Shaman, as Enhancement. My first healing experience was in BRD, when our healer left our party, and the other people in my group said "Hey Dayani, can you heal?" I didn't even have to go change specs, just healed the rest of the dungeon in Enh spec and gear, and that first yellow-green Chain Heal I cast ... I just ... oh my. <3

C. I heal exclusively. I have 5 level 90s and all of them are healers. I leveled them all as healers for the most part (this toon, since I was in a real rush, leveled 85-87 as Resto in dungeonspam, then as Ele 'til 90, so I could get raid-ready in a week). I DID 5 LEVELS OF SOLO QUESTING AS HOLY PALADIN I am clearly insane.

In previous expansions I did tank and DPS all the raid content as well - to learn more about the fights - but in this expansion I'm finding it too alt-unfriendly to run all my characters through all the raids, so I'm focusing on the only role I actually enjoy - healing.

I do have one Heroic kill under my belt as Elemental. But that is a last-resort, we-can't-raid-unless-Dayani-goes-DPS kind of situation. :P

D. Yes. Like others, if I couldn't be a dedicated healer -- and there are times in this expansion where I feel like the game is moving in this direction -- I couldn't play this game. The other roles do not allow me the playstyle I enjoy.

I love healing so much I started a blog about it, and it is pretty much all I ever want to talk about <3
Reply Quote
A. I heal because it gives me the most feeling of accomplishment in keeping the raid alive and I feel like I have a lot of control over the overall outcome of a fight. Imo healing a respectful position that often has a lot of responsibility.

B. Back in Burning Crusade I decided to give it a try and found that I really liked it. In wrath when I started raiding for the first time I went with healing and never looked back.

C. I occasionally dps but I almost exclusively heal. I tanked a few times back in wrath when druid tanks were OP but mostly I just healed.

D. Healing is my preferred role. Dps can be okay but healing is what keeps me playing.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
A. Why do you Heal?

A: I have to steal Kaels' responce, since this how I view healing and why I like it.
It's kind of like PvP - it's different every time, and you're 'fighting' other players rather than the boss - but they actually like you for it, and you're not chain-CCd all the time.

B: I tried tanking at the beginning of Wath, but there were never any healers on, so I rolled a priest and loved healing so much more than dps or tanking.
C: For most of Cata and MoP I have been exclusively haling, but towards the end of the expansions I level a dps an use my off-spec to solo old raids and 5mans for transmog.
D: Absolutely!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
A. Why do you Heal?

I just find it the most dynamic/fun role. It's never quite the same and I think we also get a perspective on the fight that tanks and dps don't. And I just like the fact that I can save a wipe or bring people back from certain death. Yeah :D

I started out as dps but I really didn't like it and I almost quit WoW. I was terrified of healing because of the responsibility/can't hide factor, but I figured there was no harm in trying. I absolutely loved it from the moment I started, even though I started in WSG, so that's saying something.

I play mostly healer toons, but I'm rolling a tank to see things from the tank's POV. And I do have some dps toons for when I just want a break. But I enjoy WoW the most when I'm healing.

Definitely. I can see myself tanking more, but at the moment I'm not comfortable enough to do that too much since I've only been playing for 6 months. But yeah, I love healing.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
A. Why do you Heal?

A - I always heal because you get some sort of control over your group that you can't get when DPSing. But that isn't just an automatic thing, it really shows up if you understand all the mechanics in a given fight and can lead your group / call things out to tailor to that kind of thing.

Like on blackfuse h, it is very easy to predict when people spike, when the tanks will take high damage from killing a weapon, who is going to get sawblade, freaking out about getting a 3rd or 4th overcharge, and calling out all the movement for the DPS / other healer.

Of course none of those things are really related to healing, but if you are healing while leading, you have very strong control about whether or not those type of things kill you. Too many times previously I just see healers who are looking at health bars (or who are very bad at actually looking at the screen) and play completely reactively to all the mechanics instead of knowing all the mechanics in a given fight and preparing beforehand so that none of that stuff kills you.

Like one thing I was annoyed by a few weeks ago was how a healer was complaining about the damage on a heroic shamans kill. I don't think they realized that the damage is completely pedictable and there are no real "spikes" if you push the bosses properly. BECAUSE i get to lead and call these things out (while healing), I can pretty much assure that no one will die if they just listen.

You can't really do that with DPS.

so I guess my short answer - healing lets you have control over the raid and if raid leading simultaneously, you can carry a group so strongly through stuff. That is why I enjoy healing / leading combo.

B - honestly probably was the first thing I did so back in BC at some point

C - Heal exclusively. Maybe on one farm fight I go enhance

D - Yes, yes it is. i suck at DPS, but seriously the combination of leader / healing can take you incredibly far if you are active at calling out every single mechanic and actually take the time to learn every single mechanic.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Paladin
A) I enjoy the uniqueness of it compared to other games I've played. Usually your job is to kill the enemy; this time I get to keep my allies alive!
B) My main is a druid, and I got curious. Tried healing and never looked back.
C) I've tried every other role, and always come back to healing :\
D) See answer to C.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
A. Why do you Heal?

I heal because I enjoy the pressure of having everyone lives in my hands.

I went resto back in BC on my druid to level through outlands with a group and fell in love with the mobility of the resto druid at the time.

I play other roles. I've been playing an enhancement shaman since I came back to WoW in WOTLK and didn't enjoy the feel of my druid anymore.

Yes, it is preferred but I don't have a healer that I enjoy playing anymore.=/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]