WoD Professions - please don't make it worse.

90 Pandaren Monk
Reading about next expansion changes I realized that some professions are getting worse.

Jewelcrafting is really worse since cat because we dont have epic gems, now we I'll have less sockets to gem. What means less gems do sell.

Enchant is getting less items too. Blizz said that it's to make enchants feel like bonus not a duty but to good players all bônus are a duty to have it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
If gems are more meaningful in terms of player power, they'll be worth more.

If there is a wider variety of enchants available for the smaller number of slots than can be enchanted, more of your enchants will be sellable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/14/2013 02:16 PMPosted by Crowlight

How do you figure? Price isn't determined by how useful it is. Price is determined by rarity and desire. It is already desirable to have the best gems you can get in every socket. Unless Blizzard makes gems a lot more rare, maybe making every gem into what is in essence the meta gem in rarity, there will be more supply than demand when compared to EVER.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If there is a wider variety of enchants available for the smaller number of slots than can be enchanted, more of your enchants will be sellable.

Which doesn't matter when looking at it from a moneymaking point of view, since regardless of how many choices a customer has for an enchant, he is only buying one.

Lets say a player gets a bracer, gloves, and a chest piece from lfr. In the current system, that's three enchants that I've sold, with only a few options in what that player buys. In the new system, that number will be lets say one. But he gets a lot of options in that one enchant. Which doesn't help me, because I only sold one item instead of three.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
11/14/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Grinsom
Price isn't determined by how useful it is. Price is determined by rarity and desire.
Partially right. Usefulness will dictate desire. The more useful, the more desireable -> the $ I expect to pay.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/14/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Grinsom
Price is determined by rarity and desire.

I believe the more common term is "supply and demand".

If there's a big supply (and there will be) and low demand (few gem slots) the price is just going to go down. Hopefully JCs will get some trinkets or epic jewelry or something.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
11/14/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Yangfei
Price is determined by rarity and desire.

I believe the more common term is "supply and demand".

If there's a big supply (and there will be) and low demand (few gem slots) the price is just going to go down. Hopefully JCs will get some trinkets or epic jewelry or something.

Jewelcrafters have it nice with a constant demand though. While there are few gem slots, you need to regem gear when you get new gear, or when you need different stats. Be glad you aren't getting screwed like Inscription did, where the only time glyphs sell is if they were just added, and even then it is a total crapshoot.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
With enchanting they could add vanity enchants. Glows or animations to shoulders/cloaks/weapons... They wouldn't replace regular enchants either. Would be nice.

Also transmog weapon enchants ftw.

No idea about JC.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We do want to slim down on the overall number of gems and enchants you'll need to put on your gear. That's primarily a quality of life change. We want to make it less of a hassle to be able to equip a new item.

That said, we don't think these changes have to mean that e.g. Jewelcrafting will no longer be a decent source of income. We could -- and this is purely a hypothetical example -- make the best gems rarer, which would drive prices up and increase profit margins. If you can make just as much gold (comparatively) off of one gem in Warlords as you can selling three in Mists, that'll help substantially.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
In the end the only thing that really drives profits up are cooldowns and BoP mats
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I am loving the look of warlords already!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
With enchanting they could add vanity enchants. Glows or animations to shoulders/cloaks/weapons... They wouldn't replace regular enchants either. Would be nice.

Also transmog weapon enchants ftw.

No idea about JC.

Totally onboard with this. ^ ^

Also, some incentive for alchemy would be nice. I have no incentive to make *anything* in alchemy anymore, save for living steel for a quick buck or some health potions once in a while. That's it. Us alchemists have been getting the short end of the stick for a while now. Make us useful again with things people want instead of just a daily quest for blacksmiths. =(
Edited by Kalandia on 11/14/2013 6:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
We do want to slim down on the overall number of gems and enchants you'll need to put on your gear. That's primarily a quality of life change. We want to make it less of a hassle to be able to equip a new item.

That said, we don't think these changes have to mean that e.g. Jewelcrafting will no longer be a decent source of income. We could -- and this is purely a hypothetical example -- make the best gems rarer, which would drive prices up and increase profit margins. If you can make just as much gold (comparatively) off of one gem in Warlords as you can selling three in Mists, that'll help substantially.
That would completely defeat the purpose of the change in the first place. If the overall investment required to prepare gear to use is unchanged, then why bother to change anything at all?

The reason I hate the gearing cycle isn't because I have to buy 20 gems and 10 enchants per cycle rather than 5 and 3. It's because I have to spend an arseload of gold, to the point where I can't be bothered getting the gear in the first place.

Lowering the profitability of professions in regards to their impact on _mandatory_ gear preparation is the stated goal of the changes. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Make professions profitable in other, non-mandatory areas.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Thats what I figured pretty much, that since there will less gems available that the price will go up on them and it will balance itself out
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
The question is though, does the profit margin -need- to be maintained as it is? Jewelcrafting and Enchanting are always the -absolute go to- for money making because they have quite a wide profit margin, enough that it's profitable and then some to buy the materials off the market yourself.

And even so, like the above example where you can sell someone currently enchants for chest wrist and gloves versus maybe only a chest enchant? Only 1 of those 3 enchants is actually worth anything because chest and glove enchants are dirt cheap, both to learn, make and buy, there's little profit margin off them to begin with unless your AH is -starved- for enchanters and that'll mean the lone chest enchant is going to still sell for good money in the new system because it's going to be highly sought after. So we'll lose -some- profit but only so much as a wash, only a few enchants sell for big cash and that's not going to change, we're basically just losing the common minor enchants. Unless you're making bug money off something like Pandaren Step somehow.

Personally I'm just hoping WoD balances professions better in terms of love. Armor professions made out like bandits just about every patch, certainly every raid patch. Jewelcrafting, Alchemy and Engineering got either nothing or 1 patch with a few scant items and no gear capability.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

I don't think you understand demand and supply.

That said, enchanting and jewelcrafting already make inordinate amounts of money compared to other professions. This will bring them in line with others.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
We could -- and this is purely a hypothetical example -- make the best gems rarer, which would drive prices up and increase profit margins. If you can make just as much gold (comparatively) off of one gem in Warlords as you can selling three in Mists, that'll help substantially.

Ok, but rare as in rare from prospecting? Or rare as in only dropping in Mythic?

Because one is interesting to crafters. One is interesting to raid leaders who are monopolizing their realm AH.
Reply Quote
10 Undead Warrior
We could -- and this is purely a hypothetical example -- make the best gems rarer, which would drive prices up and increase profit margins.

It's not really hypothetical. It's a certainty. Without flying, the cost of raw mats will skyrocket due to mats being rarer due to decreased farming efficiency.

At least for the first few months.
Edited by Seneselina on 11/14/2013 6:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok, but rare as in rare from prospecting? Or rare as in only dropping in Mythic?

Oh dear god...... Please Blizzard do not tie JC into having to raid Mythic or raid at all. I currently do not have the time to raid or the desire to anymore, but I still do love farming ore for a few hours a week and making a decent amount of gold from prospecting.

Hopefully it will be rare from prospecting and have absolutely nothing to do with raiding.
Edited by Burst on 11/14/2013 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
11/14/2013 06:34 PMPosted by Elementalism
The reason I hate the gearing cycle isn't because I have to buy 20 gems and 10 enchants per cycle rather than 5 and 3. It's because I have to spend an arseload of gold, to the point where I can't be bothered getting the gear in the first place.
It depends on what you consider a hassle: I'd consider the complete opposite a hassle; the gold is a nonissue.

Right now, say I want to switch to Assassination... it'd mean reforging all of my gear, buying 9 new gems, and probably an enchant.

Or if I get a single new piece, especially on my warlock, it usually means regemming 4-6 gems AND adding new gems to the new piece AND reforging everything.

The gold is a nonissue. It's just the sheer amount of gear modification tedium that bothers me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]