Problem unique to healers.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Getting better gear is the name of the game, it is what drives most people to keep raiding content, and no one can deny the excitement of getting that new shiny. However, there is a problem that comes with gearing up as a healer that doesn't with any other role.

As a tank, the better my gear the more indestructible I feel. I can take on more enemies without fear of death and take less damage from raid bosses large attacks in some cases even being able to ignore mechanics that used to one shot me.

As a damage dealer, the better my gear the more destruction I bring. I can kill faster, AoE down packs of mobs I used to have to crowd control and burn through whole phases of boss encounters that used to take forever.

As a healer, the better my gear the less heals I have to cast, the less I have to pay attention to the game, ...and the more TV I can watch as I play.

In short: my tanks and damage dealers get more and more fun to play as I gear them, and my healers get more and more boring.

Does anyone have any ideas how to address this? Do you think it is even possible to fix? Or do you completely disagree and think there is nothing to address?

You could say "just start throwing out some DPS!" once you out gear things....but tanks and damage dealers don't have to completely switch roles once they gear up just to keep the game interesting.
Edited by Arkavien on 11/18/2013 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I understand your frustration, I don't have a solution.

Edited to add: I'm currently in a guild that raids. I'm topping healing charts (disc for the easy-mode), I'm not running out of mana, no one is dying, but we're hitting enrage timers. So obviously it's not a healing issue. I can't get better healing gear until the DPS increases so until then I'm playing alts and having fun in game in other ways.
Edited by Dawsyn on 11/18/2013 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You're right that as your gear improves, some aspects of the game become more trivial, especially in an expansion like MoP in which no new 5man dungeons were released after the launch, and most scenario runs prefer dps and tanks.

The simplest way to prevent content from becoming trivial is the release of new, harder content, but obviously this takes time and blizz can only work so fast.

Another option that gets brought up occasionally is scaling down gear to match the content, so that no matter what you are doing or how well geared you are, there should always be a challenge. Blizz has stated that they have the tech to do this in place, but aren't ready to launch it yet, and there is no guarantee this ever actually will be launched

You can also try doing new things that you don't do normally, or do things in different ways, like running LFR with only half your gear equipped.
Edited by Andríct on 11/18/2013 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
dawsyn sounds like it's time to drop a healer :p
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/18/2013 09:51 AMPosted by Arkavien
Does anyone have any ideas how to address this?

Do harder content.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

Do harder content.

11/18/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Tsilyi
drop a healer
Edited by Naér on 11/18/2013 10:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
zZq
Dropping a healer is the correct answer. One heal things if you need to. More fun for the healer to have to actually do something, and more DPS so the boss dies faster. Win/win.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
I've got a crazy idea.

What if ... we fixed mana regen so that we don't get more powerful in that area. Okay, so now we're just over healing more right?

What if we had a way to convert over healing into damage or alternately a buff for our damage dealers perhaps dependent on a talent? Not sure what the third option would be.

So as you gain power you contribute to dps without having to dps. You get a feeling of more power without making the game too boring.

One downside is you might appear on the damage meter depending on the talent taken. I don't personally see that as a down side but I enjoy playing multiple roles and that seems to make me an odd duck around here.

You also have the option to deliberately over heal to help push dps timers with the danger that you might run OoM and have people die.

This isn't even quarter baked so there will likely be issues that may or may not be fixable. I'm just throwing it out there.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
watch more tv
Reply Quote
Whatever content you are doing where you have time to watch tv and ignore your screen at all, gear probably didn't matter much to begin with.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I agree to a point, but I think the biggest issue may be what you're playing. If you're doing content that is recommended for you (basically not doing random dungeons in Heroic SoO gear) then it should be difficult enough to demand your full attention and hopefully offer you some challenge.

Currently I'm not the best geared, but I feel I more than outgear Heroics which I often join for some extra rep or a little fun. But you're right, half of the time I alt-tab and just pay slight attention to the health bars beside the screen. But it's not all due to healers gearing up. It's the fact that this late into the expansion the dungeons that came out are incredibly inferior to the gear we can get now, everyone. I often see tanks walking around a random Heroic with 800k health that basically takes no damage. At that point it's like "why even heal at all?" When the tank takes no damage and the DPS barely do either, except for the occasional one who stands in the fire, and I can heal someone from 0 to full health in a few casts, what's the point?

I liked the cata Zandalari dungeons that were introduced later in the expansion for this reason. They offered a little more challenge. Yes they too were outgeared. But they had some difficult mechanics that had to be followed, and since they were brought in later they planned for the gear difference (they at least required better gear than the original Heroics that came out with Cata). And the same with Wrath and the ICC Heroics.

But like I said if you're going into Heroic randoms in 555 ilvl gear and expecting to not be bored... you're going to be disappointed unless the tank is a fresh 90 in awful gear.

Try to do some raids matching your level. If you're in 528 gear run some flexes, if you're in 540+ gear attempt a normal or something. Otherwise you're just going to have to roll an alt, or try to enjoy dps'ing.

It's sad when I do 60+k spamming denounce in a heroic dungeon, and I didn't roll a healer to do damage, but it's either that or ask the group if it's ok if I change to my DPS spec.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Idk, I'm 545 iLevel and going back and solo healing H T15, and T14 is pretty fun. So if you're doing current content and you end up being able to "watch TV" and heal through mechanics then either A) You have WAYY too many healers or B) you're solo healing and the content you are running is no longer "current" with respect to your gear.
Edited by Druidboii on 11/18/2013 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
You're wrong about tanks -- fights definitely get more boring as I get more gear. I'm also itching to move on to harder content.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I actually do see where this is coming from. Running normal SoO, we ran with 3 healers; and then we realized that we could 2 heal it, and both healers went 'whoa! we actually have to DO things! this is incredible!'. I was actually very shocked at how much happier and more engaged those 2 healers became as soon as we switched to 2 healing SoO. They participate in strategy discussions, they go off on their own time to find every last trick they can for their class, they want to get to the new boss to try out new ideas. When we were 3 healing (I was the third healer), we didn't even bother talking much, except to say 'oh, can you focus tank a bit more this fight?'.

So I definitely agree: Drop a healer. If you are already 2 healing, then 1 heal, and maybe see if you can include a dps who can do serious off-healing like a shadow priest 'just in case'.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Dropping healers may solve 1 problem but that just gives rise to another problem...

It's crap how the go to solution for most raiding problems is to just drop healers.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Our raid team attempted two healings on fights that we can handle, 1st 4 bosses and nazgrim. Felt so happy to see my healings on the healing meters increased by so much. When we were doing 3 heals on those bosses I have never gone oom before, but on 2 healing it felt crazy :P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
For starters, I really don't agree healing becomes more boring as you get more gear. Not all of us like that "cutting edge" feeling of sweat dripping down your temples because the raid keeps dropping below 2%. I find fights just as interesting to heal even as my relative gear level increases.. immerseus, for example, is just a damn fun fight to heal for a resto druid. No amount of gear will change that. Sha of Pride, for example, is just a damn fun fight in general to me. Nothing will change that until the mechanics can be ignored completely.

My heals feel more powerful and it means that I can push my team to complete content in more ambitious ways, yes. I'll grant you that currently, that really only means dropping healers, but in the future it could also mean skipping phases to complete content faster in return for taking more damage, or completing bonus objectives (that require stronger, faster, or smarter healing) for extra loot.

Dropping healers is just boring design, in my opinion.

With that being said, the nature of healing means that this will always be an "issue," no matter how much stuff you throw at it. The only real way to address it would be to make gear impact healer performance less, but that wouldn't seem right.
Reply Quote
Do harder content.

Healing in LFR is pretty much the least challenging thing in the game, other than maybe 5-mans, and even those can be pretty challenging if you're actually at an appropriate gear level. Contrary to popular believe, 530 is not appropriate gear level for 5-man heroics.

OP, for your gear, you should really be doing normal Throne of Thunder or Flex mode Siege. Both of those will be a lot more challenging than LFR, especially the later ToT bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

You can also try doing new things that you don't do normally, or do things in different ways, like running LFR with only half your gear equipped.

Pantsless Tuesdays!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dropping healers may solve 1 problem but that just gives rise to another problem...

It's crap how the go to solution for most raiding problems is to just drop healers.

"What's the minimum number of healers we have to have?"

or

"Can we X heal this?"

I do love when the occasional "We can one tank this" pops up though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]