Wintergrasp

94 Blood Elf Mage
Faction transfers wont help. Why? Because there are a lot of people who play their faction for a lore standpoint. I will NEVER play alliance. Not even if it got me more pvp. Why? Because I find the Alliance lore standpoint abhorrent. I could never quest as alliance. I could never support a single alliance npc. Its just wrong. And I know a lot of players that feel the same way. I think the faction that cares more should win more often. What I disagree with is limiting raids and such to pvp content. It will -always- screw one side or the other. It is 100% impossible to balance. If they allowed anyone into VoA at anytime except during a battle, and made the fortress a sanctuary zone outside of battle, it would work. I feel sorry for alliance the last 2 years on blackhand. They would have to cancel ICC runs just to do voa the few times they actually grabbed it. But this is locking over 99% of the pvpers on a server from ever doing wintergrasp. Its unacceptable. Its flagrant discrimination against those of us who play a side because we like that side. And its proof that Blizzard doesnt have a clue how to run this game.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It aint about you. It's about the team with 20 tenacity that gets stomped every game.
94 Blood Elf Mage
less than 400 alliance means they can and should still be able to fill a 120 man slot right?

garner your faction and light a fire under their collective asses to get up and do something about it. it's a WORLD PVP ZONE. it's not an instance. it's a zone that anyone can fly into so to limit the amount that is there is asinine. if they want to limit it make it into a true instance.

don't want to die, don't go, want to win and garner the rewards for winning then get yourself a dedicated team and go take it.

did your less than 400 alliance get teleported out of SMC because there were only 3 horde there when you went to kill that king? nope. so why should we be teleported out of a WORLD ZONE

He meant less than 400 characters. thats not 400 players. Someone was commenting on another thread that at 7pm server, they saw 22 alliance players on on cho'gall.

And flying in doesnt work anymore. it boots you out. you -cant- unbalance this now.

It aint about you. It's about the team with 20 tenacity that gets stomped every game.

Then they should get their friends to help them. Punishing one faction because the other faction doesnt care is not good business. This will alienate a LOT of players.
Edited by Tyo on 11/17/2010 3:39 PM PST
100 Gnome Mage
In patch 4.0.3, Wintergrasp queuing was changed so that each battle attempts to match the factions at a 1-to-1 ratio. This is the exact system being used for Tol Barad in Cataclysm. While we understand that this inflates queue times for factions which are vastly overpopulated on select realms, we prefer this system over using Tenacity. In addition, the new system at least encourages playing on a faction that's better balanced against the opposing faction. With the old Wintergrasp functionality, players were almost encouraged to be on an overpopulated faction, further contributing to realm balance issues.

That said, we'll review realms with significant faction imbalances on a case-by-case basis in the event we need to take further action.

Tol Barad preview: <a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1159457" target="_new">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1159457</a>

As someone who fled from an imbalanced server, I say, "here, here."
82 Human Paladin
@Tyo: Oh, you are a rerroller? Wrong anyways, in my side (ALLIANCE) it's just find and kill Horde, so I don't know what you are on about. But I guess that "caring" means shelling out 15 bucks and switching sides?
100 Human Hunter
The only question I have--and I can't find the answer to it--is can you enter Tol Barad as a premade. That is what's going to break this zone. If you sign-up with 5 of your mates and they are all left in town by luck of the draw, and it's a lot of QQ and crybaby raid chat because nobody knows one another, and fights together. It's going to be miserable.

I think the greatest thing to come out of world PvP would be for people, joining, to say, hey, I don't know you, but we're all mates. Let's defend and capture as a team, ay? Aye-aye! And off you go. If it's a lot of belly aching on raid chat, it's another loss for the Design team to examine. Perhaps if it were an Instanced battleground you could go with a team, it would encourage better results next Expansion.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How about instead of moaning about the current solution that Blizzard has implemented you offer a better one? As far as I can see it, without forcing players to faction xfer this is the best possible solution. It provides an incentive to leave the bigger faction and join the smaller one.
100 Gnome Mage
Faction transfers wont help. Why? Because there are a lot of people who play their faction for a lore standpoint. I will NEVER play alliance. Not even if it got me more pvp. Why? Because I find the Alliance lore standpoint abhorrent. I could never quest as alliance. I could never support a single alliance npc. Its just wrong. And I know a lot of players that feel the same way. I think the faction that cares more should win more often. What I disagree with is limiting raids and such to pvp content. It will -always- screw one side or the other. It is 100% impossible to balance. If they allowed anyone into VoA at anytime except during a battle, and made the fortress a sanctuary zone outside of battle, it would work. I feel sorry for alliance the last 2 years on blackhand. They would have to cancel ICC runs just to do voa the few times they actually grabbed it. But this is locking over 99% of the pvpers on a server from ever doing wintergrasp. Its unacceptable. Its flagrant discrimination against those of us who play a side because we like that side. And its proof that Blizzard doesnt have a clue how to run this game.

How do you figure? You just said that the PvE content was way better on Horde side, to the point that it illicits an emotional response in you, yet then go on to say they are discriminating against you. If they made one side way more fun to play on, then it's a fault of the game design, and if you and everyone else that jumped on that side because it's more fun, well, you have to deal with the crowd. Sorry. You live in a big city because you like what it offers, you can't complain about there being too many people there, because those other people are there for the same reason you are.
So...just make it a BG because getting in now seems like a lottery. I got in the queue last night and never got in gg
16 Orc Hunter

there isn't a server out there that didn't have the 120 lvl 80's or appropiate levels to enter wg on each side. it's up to that opposing faction to rally their own forces.

Actually there are quite a few servers out there where one faction doesn't have 120 characters on at a given time, let alone 120 level 80 characters.

That makes it IMPOSSIBLE to rally forces when they are NOT available.
83 Goblin Warlock
Makes sense Zar, there's Pros and Cons of both systems, just gotta take the less of 2 evils i guess.

The new system has been live in WG for a couple of days, i'm sure blizzard will monitor it very closely and make any changes they see fit.
100 Gnome Mage
Neither this nor the previous iterations of WG on an unbalanced server were solutions.

They need to fix the cause of the problem (the imbalance on the server) and not the result of the problem (imbalanced WG).

OK, so how do you go about doing that? Offering free cookies to people to get them to transfer in?
Edited by Lissancy on 11/17/2010 3:43 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Dear Blizzard, this is a terribly short-sighted move on your part.

Maiev has a real problem with faction imbalance, and as a result I have not been able to run Wintergrasp at all on any of my 3 characters since this change went live. There simply are not enough Alliance in Wintergrasp to enable everyone Horde side to participate.

If Tol Barad is going to be like this, I am going to quit the game. I am NOT going to shell out money to resolve a faction imbalance issue that YOU created.
Edited by Kniggit on 11/17/2010 3:46 PM PST
85 Orc Warrior
This is a terrible change. For realms with an imbalance you are locking out groups of players who cannot predict they will be able to play at all on a given match or even a given day. More importantly, the process of selection gives no control over who does and doesn't get to play - friends get separated, those who queue for long periods get tossed out while those who just queued up get in, it's a mess.

What made Wintergrasp and the promise of Tol Barad intriguing was that it was a pvp zone in realms where pvp was otherwise not a major piece. Players could choose to participate in pvp without having to quest and game everywhere as flagged. What this does is effectively make Wintergasp another battleground, and one that only a select random few get to play every 2 hours. Is that really the target you were shooting for?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dear Blizzard, this is a terribly short-sighted move on your part.

Maiev has a real problem with faction imbalance, and as a result I have not been able to run Wintergrasp at all on any of my 3 characters since this change went live. There simply are not enough Alliance in Wintergrasp to enable everyone Horde side to participate.

If Tol Barad is going to be like this, I am going to quit the game. I am NOT going to shell out money to resolve a faction imbalance that YOU created.

And what of the players who thought the exact same thing because they could not EVER win a WG and run VoA? Their sentiment just isn't as valid as yours I guess.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]