inscription dead in cata?

85 Night Elf Druid
since you only need to 'learn' a glyph once now...all I see is that you can make darkmoon cards (that will require a lot of farming for matts) ... given the same time sink into another profession I would think you can/would make more money...thoughts?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
There will be a small surge of interest as all the Goblins and Worgens get their glyphs for the first time, a moderate amount of interest in the trinkets, followed by a dismal bottoming out of the markets come 4.1 unless new trinkets emerge. Scribes do not have any sustainable products to keep the profession healthy.
Reply Quote
The glyph market will likely dry up eventually. If you have enough alts that you are willing to pay for a full set of glyphs for a reroll, you likely already have access to a scribe who can make them all for you. And new players will not have the gold to buy any glyphs under the new system until they hit 85 and start doing dailies.

But you can make gold off of darkmoon cards. You will also be able to craft a variety of off-hands. I thought there were a few other emerging markets as well, but I am not current on inscription.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
There are BoE offhands and relics, runescrolls, darkmoon cards/decks, a few 'origami' items (probably won't sell for too much), adventurer's journal (XP boost), fortune cards (think lottery ticket), and of course, glyphs.

Unless all of these items get progressively stronger with each subsequent major patch release as is the case with the tailors, leatherworkers, and blacksmiths, Inscription will lose any sort of competitive edge and players will be incentivized to get this gear from raids instead.
Reply Quote
83 Undead Mage
People make alts all the time. And with brand new class/race combos, 2 new races, new BOA gear at 80, all new quests in Azeroth to explore from 1-60 and 80-85 it will never stop. Each character has a huge amount of glyphs to learn. We lost some sales to the hardcore crowd who reglyphed everytime they respeced, my pally was like that I played 3-5 specs and every time I'd respec I'd reglyph which was multiple times a week. It costs so much gold though most people never played that way. And prices of glyphs went up so it easily compensates for the sales we lost. Trust me people will never stop making alts.

And darkmoon cards will be great, that will be a huge market for at least the first half of Cata. Even if you can't farm entire decks you can always just sell off the cards as you make them and pull steady gold that way. Plus I hear we are getting new off hands and other things to make gold on besides glyphs. I'm not worried about making gold with inscription lol.
Edited by Zelaint on 11/18/2010 11:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
@Zelaint
I'm talking about a viable money making profession.
@glyff
I completely agree with you. Go Go another alch transmute spec!!
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Also you forgot that we won't be able to exchange our learned glyphs past 80 with the current cheap vendor powder. There will be a new powder only available from Scribes, which may bring in some good money at first but I imagine with them all competing it will bottom out rather quickly too.
Reply Quote
@Zelaint
@glyff

Kurzaa's right- there are new offhands and cards. There are new relics in the beta, but they are BoP. Hopefully, that is just a bug/ placeholder, as they mentioned it as sort of a "selling point" in one of the posts. A new "eraser dust" will be crafted by scribes (though the tooltip says it, too, can be purchased on a vendor) and people will need that to change glyphs at higher levels instead of the ones we have right now. I saw pets in the beta recipe list too.
Reply Quote
I heard mention of an adventurers journal that increases experience? Please, pray-tell, could you expand on this wonderous item.
Reply Quote
I heard mention of an adventurers journal that increases experience? Please, pray-tell, could you expand on this wonderous item.

Found a Wowhead Cata comment on it:

Using this will grant you one out of 5 buffs, they all have a 1h duration.

Quest experience increased by 10%.
15% extra damage to beasts.
15% extra movement speed.
15% extra damage to humanoids.
15% extra damage against dragonkin.
chance to heal yourself when damaging an enemy.

The mats are very cheap, Resilient Parchment for a cost of 4g from a vendor, 1 Blackfallow Ink which equals 5 of Stormvine, Cinderbloom or Heartblossom. Stormvine can be found in Vashj'ir and Mount Hyjal which are the two first leveling zones in cata, and this item will therefore be easily obtainable.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
Oh, look, it's this thread again.

Yes, yes, keep telling everyone that Inscription is dead.

*sagenod*

Dance, puppets! DANCE!!!
Reply Quote
83 Undead Mage
@Zelaint
@glyff

It is the most viable money making profession that was kind of my point..
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
So will there be no new glyphs after level 80? That seems pretty lame.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
@Zelaint

The only "viable" money-making professions in Cataclysm will be gathering professions for the first 6 months. Then once the bots get back in the game the rest of us will start to see some real profits roll in.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Rogue
Hai guys! I'm so happy we have this new and interesting thread finally in the new and interesting forums. This idea has clearly never been raised yet.

Yes, inscription is dead in cataclysm. No, nobody will be buying glyphs at all. Not alts, not rerolls, not new players, and certainly not returning players. There will be no interest whatsoever in the inscription-crafted profession patterns, offhands, and lottery tickets. Nope. The +10% XP buff item surely will have no demand whatsoever, and neither will the scribe-crafted vanishing powder that is needed for level 81+ characters to swap their glyphs. Holy cow, nobody will need that. Please, don't take up inscription. Me and my solid gold mechano-hog want to ride around on a boat.

I'd say, "solid gold boat", but I'm worried about it sinking. So I'll go with a regular boat.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Yes...Inscription will completely fizzle within a single content patch (4.1)...go reroll a new profession for sure...
Edited by Garøna on 11/19/2010 2:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
@Zelaint

I honestly don't think that's a very high priority for Bliz when designing the professions. "Economy" is all up to the players.....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]