Why nerfs to Holy Pally heals?

80 Blood Elf Paladin
I've read about some of the nerfs we received specifically with Holy Shock.

I haven't played since Monday so I'm wondering why the nerfs? I was under the impression that in PVE we were sub-par to most healers in terms of numbers, while we can heal fine most healers just did it better then us.
So Im confused as to why we received nerfs. I just wasn't under the impression that we needed any.

Im assuming this has something to do with how we are at 85?

Any information is helpful, Thanks.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I wish that Blizzard would just make changes affect either pvp or pve, not both.

This right here is why both PvE and PvP will never really be great in this game. Its amazingly hard to fix one without screwing up the other.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It was a needed nerf really. The amount of instant self healing available was redonkulous.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't worry about holy pally healing anymore, after trying it for a couple weeks, I'm glad my shaman is my main. Healing is so much easier, more fun, and more effective than Holy pallys are atm.

I'll also add, I'm not liking ret all that much either, it seems as clunky as pre 4.0 arms was, always waiting for something to proc or come off CD, damage is meh, aoe isn't very good, my warrior seems much better in all areas and is more fun. I'll stick with it a while longer though, it could just be me not used to the spec.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
i know!!!! lets just buff everyones dammage by 33% and leave my god dam heals alone!! i have enough trouble keeping tanks alive as it is. and now idk how i can get them up from a big wack... guesse ill just hope they restructure raid groups so there can be 3 tanks and all the dps are druids so the can keep battle rezing...... YAY A NEW PLAY STYLE
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
aus

Because holy shock heals me from 20% to 90% before my protector of the innocent talent.

You only have 20k hp? 3500 sp, conviction stacked my holy shock crits for 11.5k. @ 85 with 6500 sp and 130k hp it crits for 13k. Wooho 10% of your hp.

it was a necessary nerf for pvp, holy paladins were unkillable gods and if holy shock / POTI stayed the same with the new infusion of light buff where it affects divine light too we would be even more OP than in season 5

Potl and blessed life where already nerfed. The amusing thing was ret paladins after asking for holy Pally nerfs then complaining because it also affected them

Reply Quote
75 Dwarf Paladin
they should have just made it a 33% reduction as a self-heal
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Agree this does feel a little heavy handed on the PVE front, but who knows how it will turn out at 85.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Doesnt the nerf just apply to the base healing? if so isnt that just a 1500 healing nerf? It still scales the same i believe. I could be wrong but i think it wont be as noticeable as people say it will.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I think everyone has this all wrong! They are not nerfing healing. The game is about to be very different and healing is part of that. The only role I can see that isn't really going to see major changes is DPS.

WotLK's more difficult encounters pretty much consisted of mechanics that had to compensate for unlimited mana. Mechanics that made it to where you had to spam heals 99% of the time or be moving out of some sort of aoe or direct damage attack that would insta-gib the tank, a raid member, or the entire raid!

From what I can tell from watching a few of Paragon's 25 man boss kills in the beta, these mechanics will no longer exist. The tank and raid will take steady damage high or low depending on the boss ability and this leaves you with some time to decide to throw an aoe heal, big single target heal, or quick shield & hot or whatever. It looks like alot of fun and I cannot wait personally. I don't know why ppl are so upset.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Something you have all missed is they buffed all single target heals by 30% in beta. This includes Holy shock. This got out of hand as a single target, instant heal. So they nerfed it 33%. So in the end, holy shock was nerfed by about 13% from its current state on 4.01. That isn't so bad for its cost.

Pern.

edited due to bad math as shown in the comment below.
Edited by Pernisha on 11/19/2010 6:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
xD
Something you have all missed is they buffed all single target heals by 30% in beta. This includes Holy shock. This got out of hand as a single target, instant heal. So they nerfed it 33%. So in the end, holy shock was nerfed by about 3% from its current state at 80. So my 16k crits are going to become 14k crits. That isn't so bad for its cost.

Pern.

thats not how you correctly do percents you dont add and subtract the percents lol
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have to agree and disagree.

Holy Shock has always been a core healing spell in pve, it's a matter on how you used it, not how often you use it. Why do you think back during the Ulduar days they designed the T-8 2-Piece set bonus the way they did. To encourage more use of Holy Shock rather than just spamming Holy Light.

I do not speak for everyone but myself, but I can attest for many people who did in-fact use Holy Shock more than you think, in Pve.

For Pvp it was your instant healing ability that healed for a great amount, and made you mobile. Since we only had three healing spells.

I can agree that in a Pvp environment, it was a needed nerf, but I will always rage when it affects Pve. I can see the issues on boths sides and the pros and cons as well.

But just to re-iterate, Holy shock has always been a core healing spell used in Pve, not just Pvp. The old talent that gave us instant Flash of light was due to Holy Shock. Both used in Pve and Pvp. Both of which used Holy Shock.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy shock was nerfed, but wasn't holy light buffed by 30%??
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
it was a necessary nerf for pvp, holy paladins were unkillable gods and if holy shock / POTI stayed the same with the new infusion of light buff where it affects divine light too we would be even more OP than in season 5

I dont buy it as just a PVP nerf, flash of light is way too strong a cast for such a short cast time in PVP I've seen it take people from near death to full health with 1 crit on a 1.5 second cast before haste is factored in. And it doesnt even eat THAT much mana especially when only used once.

Its going to be very tough to balance PVE/PVP especially with what they did to FoL, no matter what they try and change with holy shock. The simple fact of the matter is a single flash of light is game breaking it heals for an insane amount.

So they can claim holy shock nerf was for PVP but FoL is the huge elephant in the room.
Edited by Mâson on 11/19/2010 9:17 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]