Suggestion for a different unholy mastery

5 Troll Mage
Seeing as how mastery is fairly worthless for unholy at the moment and any and all buffs to the concept of disease damage won't do much to increase its value, i came up with a change that would make it at least worth something.

Make it change the amount of damage diseases add to abilities like, well only scourge strike.

I.E. Each disease adds 12% of SS physical damage as shadow damage, with an extra point of mastery it would be 13% and another point, 14%, etc.

This would work best if they replaced the set extra damage on festering strike with a disease modifier.

This allows mastery to still relate to diseases, a special part of unholy, and be desirable at least on gear, if not gems/reforging

Edited by Rokamanya on 11/17/2010 7:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
No matter what, there's always going to be a stat which is better and people will stack that.
You want mastery be better than str/haste just because it's new?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I kinda do, yes. Even though it will not most likely happen, I wish they would tweak mastery so that we would have something to choose between. It's just one of those things you put on your Christmas list and know you are not going to get it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Mastery should not be the end-all stat for every spec. That would be stupid.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Mastery and haste and crit should all be within 10-25% of each other in value, in my opinion after seeing the developer chats and whatnot. Right now it's not quite at that point for Unholy. It'll get there, or you'll be stuck with a stat that's not as good as the other two for a while. Not the end of the world.
Reply Quote
5 Troll Mage
Its not so much that i want mastery to be the core stat, it's just that I'd rather not avoid pieces with it like the plague come cata, like enhance shammys/ret pallies used to avoid ArP
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Make UH Mastery Shadow Damage much like Frost's Mastery. I mean Deathcoil is our bread and butter. The nerf to pestilence and the mechanics of RI mean you want your diseases cleaned off to build runic faster for more coils. Shadow damage would help Blood Plague and Scourge Strike(which we probably won't use in PVP much after Necrotic) and Coil.
Reply Quote
5 Troll Mage
This was mainly a PvE thread. But anyway, blizzard said they wanted mastery to be something unique about the spec, and shadow damage isn't really an unholy only thing
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
The mastery is fine IMO if you look at it from a lvl 85 perspective.

The sheer amount of the stat on lvl 85 gear is enough to significantly boost disease damage without trying to stack it.

http://cata.wowhead.com/compare?items=60339:60340:60341:60342:60343:59342:59464:59118:67138:58185:67139:58190:59224:59506:64377
Side note: Looking cool/matching > BiS

The above set has 1034 mastery rating before reforging, so at something like 92:1 (11.4 + 8 from talents ) puts you at 19.4 mastery total. 97% increased disease damage before reforge.

Even after reforging all mastery to haste you'll still get around ~75% increased disease damage.
Edited by Zokrah on 11/18/2010 4:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
And frost damage isn't exactly a DK only thing either. But Deathcoil and the Ghoul are staples of UH. Diseases function for all three specs.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight

The sheer amount of the stat on lvl 85 gear is enough to significantly boost disease damage without trying to stack it.

Not really, our combat ratings are inflating by so much we are probably going to have just about the same amount of mastery that we have now. IE if you reforged all of your crit to mastery atm.

Mastery for Unholy can never really be good, unless they increase the modifier by about 200%, but then you run into aoe balancing issues. Diseases are only a small portion of the Unholy DK's damage, probably around 5-10%.

A suggestion would be to change SS back to a pure shadow strike, and then convert the mastery to increase Shadow Damage. Might be a little too similar to frost, but at least would make the stat interesting.
Edited by Griefpb on 11/18/2010 5:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
5 Troll Mage
Well no the issue with the current mastery is that it buffs a very small part of our damage, so that any gear with it would be shafted for a piece with haste/crit. i play ret pally alt and it was incredibly annoying knowing that a 251 piece with crit/haste or even exp/hit was equal to if not better than a 264 piece with ArP. It just does not feel right
Reply Quote
81 Human Death Knight
Changing UH mastery into a shadow damage modifying spec is an interesting suggestion. Since UH's main damage comes from SS and DC. Won't happen though, ever.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight

Not really, our combat ratings are inflating by so much we are probably going to have just about the same amount of mastery that we have now. IE if you reforged all of your crit to mastery atm.

92:1 is the lvl 85 conversion for mastery. Also, level 85 gear actually has mastery on it as part of it's budget. That and the choices we have in terms of gear available at 85, we're guaranteed to have more of it.

A suggestion would be to change SS back to a pure shadow strike, and then convert the mastery to increase Shadow Damage. Might be a little too similar to frost, but at least would make the stat interesting.

I fail to see where copying frosts mastery is more interesting and I'd rather not repeat that whole Scourge Strike re-redesign cycle again, thanks. The current mastery is fine and while the stat isn't worth stacking exclusively it's still a dps increase
Edited by Zokrah on 11/19/2010 2:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
5 Troll Mage
Well yea it is a DPS increase, the same way Arp was for ret pallies, or in the way that agility is for us
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think they should definitely tie the mastery into SS. It is the ability that makes us UH(aside from gargoyle and the pet you can argue but all DKs "have" ghouls). Having it buff shadow dmg would be too OP and quite boring like the frost mastery. It isn't a bad idea to copy frost but where's the fun in that? Main reason the mastery doesn't work is because you never actively notice a difference in dmg. There's nothing fun about buffing something we don't have to try actively to use. With FeS and outbreak keeping up diseases isn't hard to so the pay off for increasing it s bleh. And wasn't Blizz the ones saying they wanted to reduce passive dmg. If anything changes it probably won't happen right away and for now we'll have to stick with the boring mastery =]
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Here's an idea, off the top of my head for Unholy to make it more in line with the overall feel of the spec:

Blight Lord: Your ghoul minion is infused with the power of pure blight, causing its auto-attacks to have a chance to apply Necrotic Blight to its master. Necrotic Blight increases damage caused by the Death Knight's minions by 2% and disease damage caused by the Death Knight by 8%. This effect can stack up to 5 times.

Each point of mastery increases the power of an individual stack of Necrotic Blight by 0.250% shadow damage and 1% disease damage per point.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight

Mastery for Unholy can never really be good, unless they increase the modifier by about 200%, but then you run into aoe balancing issues. Diseases are only a small portion of the Unholy DK's damage, probably around 5-10%.

Sir, I don't mean to be rude,but WTF are u talking about if you look at damage meters as of current,UH dks do so many things at once 7-10% is alot. In my opionion the dk dps masteries are pretty equal.
Reply Quote
33 Human Rogue
Mastery should be a scaling blood caked blade % to proc, and get that out of the tanking tree once and for all.

That way, having haste with your mastery and crit would work. The math wouldn't be that hard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]