Healing complexity

5 Human Mage
Rate the available healing classes in terms of complexity of their healing mechanic, most complex to least.

For Example:

Holy Priest
Holy Pally
Disc Priest
Resto Druid
Resto Shaman
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I think your example is basically right, though if disc continues being able to just spam PWS nonstop with stacked mastery they might be at the bottom.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Seeing Holy Pally was #2 warms my heart.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
Honestly, I find that by not simply spamming chain heal, I can get a LOT more healing that a lot of other classes. Just because a class has a trademark "spam" move for healing doesn't make it less complex. Also, qq about resto shaman being bad at healing compared to other classes is very misguided. In icc 10m and almost everywhere else, I outperform both disc priests, holy pallies, and resto Druids, the disc priest I run with being one of the best on my server.
Reply Quote
Have u tried raid healing at 85?? im just saying.......
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Holy Paladins seem to be the hardest to get CORRECT where as holy priests have a lot of things in their arsonal so learning when to use them can take some time. Disc and resto druids are straight forward in many ways but if you muck the rotation up somehow people could die. I cant comment much on Shammy because I have not raided on one.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
In terms of least complex to most complex:

1. Resto Shaman - very simple mechanics, not much changed from WoTLK, choose between direct heals or chain heal while using Riptide ASAP.
2. Resto Druid - will be a little more complex in Cata with the need to expand from the Rejuv-Rejuv-WG faceroll but still one of the easiest and most forgiving classes to pick up and learn
3. Disc Priest - Won't be able to pure shield spam anymore and has more mechanics to worry about weaving in (reducing WS with heal, etc). Limited AoE healing options
4. Holy Paladin - At 85, pallies will be using their entire healing spellbook on almost every fight. Lots of procs to manage and managing holy power gives a secondary resource system to keep on top of. They are incredibly fun to play at 85, but a lot of people that liked pre-4.0 pally healing despise the new mechanics and the class could be daunting for a newbie healer to learn compared to say a shaman.
5. Holy Priest - Massive toolbox of spells and they absolutely can not get away with spamming any one thing without being terrible (in comparison Discs can get away with shield spam, Druids rejuv spam and Shamans CH spam and still not be completely useless). To be competitive with other healers, you need to use all your tools effectively and the feeling is that you are doing a lot more work to get the same output. Unlike pallies, a lot of the spells have very little synergy with each other, and the entire spec feels scatterbrained. Also, Chakra adds an additional roadblock that you have to worry about and limitation to what you can do that noone else has.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
well it all depends on how you are ranking them. right now, you are ranking them in order of "complexity without being completely useless" wheras complexity based on what it takes to perform better than other healers is a completely different ranking. of course shaman will always be ranked lowest when it comes to complexity without being completely useless; we have Chain Heal... but when it comes to being the best of the healers, it requires you to go above the usual 1111111111 rotation rancomly clicking people... also, chain heal can be extremely complex - i would say that 90% of shaman healers have no idea how to get a 4-jump chain heal. the average for most is 2. chain heal's usefulness is constructed around hitting more targets. the shaman that just hit it anyway for the heal on one target are dumb and should be playing an arcane mage.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Honestly, I find that by not simply spamming chain heal, I can get a LOT more healing that a lot of other classes.

In ICC25 during WotLK, this was the most exasperating thing about being a comparably geared Holy priest. We were the poster boys for the class that did less with more.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard a Shaman say something like this on the forums. The reality is that while YOU may have liked to push extra buttons, you didn't HAVE to in order to rule the meters.

Unlike Holy priests, which scaled poorly with haste, Shamans scaled about linearly with haste so that at high gear levels (stacking haste), they COULD just spam Chain Heal and do more than any other healing class.

On my server, there is a top 10 progression guild that would not use Holy priests because their throughput ceiling was lower. In my own guild, I got sat repeatedly during our 1st kill attempts and exchanged for Resto shamans who might say things like this ("we have other buttons to push"). Our RL didn't care. She just wanted to kill the boss and in her mind more effective healing meant a better chance to succeed.

But when I looked at the WoL, Chain Heal accounted for >80% of healing for all our Resto shamans.

Excuse me for being bitter. But your story about how you like to push more buttons is vapid and does not resonate with me. Maybe you really did ... but the point is that you didn't need to in order to get the same result. If the changes that come with Cataclysm knock shamans down a notch or two, I would be perfectly fine with that.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I think complexity depends a lot on the task at hand. I think because of the variety of spells and the way Chakra and Revelations work, Holy Priest is probably #1 in each category, but a Paladin, for example, is going to have a good amount of complexity and things to manage while tank healing, while Shamans have a lot more going on while raid healing.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
Honestly, I find that by not simply spamming chain heal, I can get a LOT more healing that a lot of other classes.

In ICC25 during WotLK, this was the most exasperating thing about being a comparably geared Holy priest. We were the poster boys for the class that did less with more.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard a Shaman say something like this on the forums. The reality is that while YOU may have liked to push extra buttons, you didn't HAVE to in order to rule the meters.

Unlike Holy priests, which scaled poorly with haste, Shamans scaled about linearly with haste so that at high gear levels (stacking haste), they COULD just spam Chain Heal and do more than any other healing class.

On my server, there is a top 10 progression guild that would not use Holy priests because their throughput ceiling was lower. In my own guild, I got sat repeatedly during our 1st kill attempts and exchanged for Resto shamans who might say things like this ("we have other buttons to push"). Our RL didn't care. She just wanted to kill the boss and in her mind more effective healing meant a better chance to succeed.

But when I looked at the WoL, Chain Heal accounted for >80% of healing for all our Resto shamans.

Excuse me for being bitter. But your story about how you like to push more buttons is vapid and does not resonate with me. Maybe you really did ... but the point is that you didn't need to in order to get the same result. If the changes that come with Cataclysm knock shamans down a notch or two, I would be perfectly fine with that.

chain heal accounts for 10-12% of my heals.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
in fact shaman are currently considered to be terrible healers, at least on my server where everyone believes that if a shaman is outhealing people, then the others suck.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Well, if we're talking about the current level 80 healing environment; if everyone is playing at the same level, disc priests and resto druids are likely to dominate. The 30% ICC buff plus the T10 4pc has made Disc shields beyond ridiculous, especially for a mastery stacking Disc priest. Druids (until the Revitalize nerf) also have the ability to basically blanket spam the entire raid with HoTs, while keeping Efflo on the melee group and have no risk of going OOM. Holy priests have close to the same HoT/AoE healing capabilities of resto druids; our problem is just our regen is so awful relative to everyone else that we can't spam with complete impunity like a druid can, therefore greatly reducing our output potential.

The problem shamans and paladins have currently is that as direct heal based healers, they suffer the most as gear scales and the power of HoTs/shields scale because so much direct healing gets sniped prior to it landing.

That said, having an 80 of every healing class, all of which have cleared at least 8/12 in 25 H ICC and having killed H LK 25 (and H Halion 25) as both a disc priest, holy priest and resto shaman, I can honestly say shaman are the simplest and easiest healing class to play. So much output is basically given to you from passive or limited maintenance procs (earth shield, earthliving, ancentral awakening, 4pc chain heal set bonus, etc). With each cast, all you essentially have to worry about is whether to use Riptide if it's on CD then decide between either chain heals or Healing Surge/Greater Healing Wave.

Disc 25 man raid bubble spam is mind numbing and easy but extremely powerful. Disc tank healing (and I've done a lot of it including being the primary fire tank healer on H Halion) is much more interesting and challenging, and you have a lot more things to juggle than a shaman does tank healing (i.e. Penance vs Flash Heal-FH is slightly more HPS, Penance costs less mana).

Holy priest healing pre-4.0 was my favorite of all the healing specs, because you used your entire spell book (well except GHeal) and it was the one raid healer that wasn't based on primarily one button spam (Rejuv/CH/PW:S). 4.0 has all but gutted everything that was enjoyable about holy for me, with Chakra just making the entire spec feel less flexible and a pain in the butt to manage and with regen being gutted compared to where everyone else is.

Pally healing pre-4.0 was even simpler than shaman healing. Since 4.0, not so much. A lot of people in this thread are still saying pallies are one of the simpler healers because you only use a few abilities. Honestly, not really. At 85, you are using all of your healing spells except Flash of Light with great regularity and you need to be able to manage your holy power, know when to dump it and how to maximize HP generation while still putting out the HPS needed. It's very dynamic and fun to play, but is anything but simple.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Assuming PW:S spam is the most HPS/HPM a disc can do, maintaining LB is necessary to do max healing as a druid... and ignoring holy priests because I've never played that class/role in a raid...

Paladin
Druid
Shaman
Disc

I really only consider Paladin the most complex due to # of procs, positional requirements and a second resource bar. Especially dealing with holy radiance, now that it suffers from DR and range diminishing healing... a holy pally every 30 seconds will have to find the magic location where enough people are within 8 yards, but as few people as possible are from 9-20 yards.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
TG
I am going to differentiate between good druids and bad druids. Good druids will keep Lifebloom on the tanks at all times, which is a pretty hard mechanic. Bad druids will not bother.

So here is my list

Holy Priest
Pally
Good Druid
Disc Priest
Shammies (primarily because i think that the healing rain mechanic will eventually be used more)
Bad Druids

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I am going to differentiate between good druids and bad druids. Good druids will keep Lifebloom on the tanks at all times, which is a pretty hard mechanic. Bad druids will not bother.

So here is my list

Holy Priest
Pally
Good Druid
Disc Priest
Shammies (primarily because i think that the healing rain mechanic will eventually be used more)
Bad Druids

I don't really think the Healing Rain mechanic adds much complexity to shamans. Every other healing spec except Disc priests also gets a similar ability and all you have to do is set it on the ground at the right time. Plus, Healing Rain is the ONLY significant new change shamans get compared to their pre-4.0 healing.

I don't know how difficult the Lifebloom mechanic can possibly be; all it requires is a nourish on the tank every 10 seconds. It remains to be seen whether mana will be tight enough that a raid healing druid won't want to be using mana/GCDs to keep Lifebloom on tanks though when you have assigned tank healers. I'm not sure how much the current wisdom of having everyone with a HoT keep it on the tanks has to do with having infinite mana.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]