Lux et Umbra - A Priest Mechanics Guide

(Sticky)

90 Undead Priest
" For example, the coefficient of Heal is 36.2%"

w/o reading thru the many replies, how do you know this? What is your evidence for this conclusion? How can I see the same stat myself? Please revise your argument with evidence for your statistics.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
" For example, the coefficient of Heal is 36.2%"

w/o reading thru the many replies, how do you know this? What is your evidence for this conclusion? How can I see the same stat myself? Please revise your argument with evidence for your statistics.

It's fairly simple math. Statistics has nothing to do with it. A basic equation for how much a spell hits for is (Base Value + (Spellpower * Spellpower Coefficient)) * Modifiers

Modifiers can be a lot of things like Spiritual Healing. Although the base value isn't known it's not necessary to determine a spellpower coefficient as long as you divide out modifiers that increase the healing done of the spell. All you do is record two different levels of spellpower, or try it at various levels of spellpower, and subtract the difference between the two. Then you look at how much the spell hits for at those two different levels of spell power and take the difference between both of those values.

Dividing the increase in healing/damage done by how much spellpower you gained, and you've found what percentage of spell power transferred over to that spell. That's your spell power coefficient. Again make sure you've dividied out other effects that could increase the healing/damage done or you'll end up with an incorrect coefficient.

Basic example:

I got 300 spellpower and a spell hits for 60 more as a result. 60/300 is 0.2 or 20%, so the spellpower coefficient for that is 20%.

Spells that don't always do the same healing every time like Greater heal can be a little more tricky, but if you cast it a whole bunch of times and take the average of all those hits you can get an acceptable average. You could also go off of the tooltip value but it generally is not a good idea to trust tooltips. This is the way I've always come up with coeffiecients and even though there may be a better way the values I get normally line up with other lists.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Awesome! Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
What the hell is spell hit???

Edit: Are you actually planning to update this, Nysem? Otherwise I will.
Edited by Constie on 10/28/2014 11:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
I am in the process of updating, but it is harder now that Blizzard decided to leave some mechanics out of the tooltips altogether. Base values were also claimed to be a thing of the past...that doesn't appear to be true for certain abilities!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]