Lux et Umbra - A Priest Mechanics Guide

(Sticky)

85 Human Priest
The stickie at the top of the forums says not to bump posts. Inc forum ban! :P

Meh. I don't have to do it much now that the traffic here isn't so heavy. I just want it to be visible to readers assuming that it doesn't wind up being stickied here.
Reply Quote
Fantastic list of important coefficients. Thank you for this.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Oh look a sticky. Thanks everyone for all the sticky reports, comments, suggestions/corrections, and questions so far! :D
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
A couple things I've added today:

- Haste buffs aren't affecting the HoT from Lightwell at all. I know for a fact that 16.67% haste from gear will give each charge a fourth tick because I confirmed that ingame, but when I have that much total haste with the 5% buff (Or heroism), they are completely unaffected and stuck at 3 ticks. I also noticed this at level 80, where creating a Lightwell during Heroism would have given each Lightwell charge a fifth tick. This basically means you need to reach that breakpoint from gear alone to get another tick.

- Atonement has been hotfixed to cap at 30% of the priest's health, which is now reflected in the notes section. This is before any healing modifiers are applied to it.

- Prayer of Mending will fail completely to put you into Chakra: Sanctuary if it can't overwrite an existing one on its target, but still puts you on cooldown. This one is different from the previous bug that was fixed, where Prayer of Mending bouncing from the priest would simply consume the Chakra buff and put you on cooldown.
Edited by Nysem on 1/6/2011 6:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
i was wondering if u stack spell pen. can u cuase your targets resistances to go negative and multiply your dmg?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
01/08/2011 8:06 PMPosted by Davelat
i was wondering if u stack spell pen. can u cuase your targets resistances to go negative and multiply your dmg?

No, spell penetration cannot do that. To put it another way, it wouldn't make sense to ignore resistance that isn't there.
Reply Quote
Very nice post.

Could you please put in a simplified definition of what you mean by “spellpower coefficient” in this section?

I’m assuming that for a heal it means:

(base heal amount * (spell power amount * spell power coefficient)) * other modifiers = heal amount
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
01/12/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Zuidam
Very nice post.

Could you please put in a simplified definition of what you mean by “spellpower coefficient” in this section?

I’m assuming that for a heal it means:

(base heal amount * (spell power amount * spell power coefficient)) * other modifiers = heal amount

For example, the coefficient of Heal is 36.1%; If you have 5000 spellpower, Heal will heal for 5000 * 0.361 = 1805 more than it would at 0 spellpower.

That's my definition of a spell power coefficient, which is easily sufficient. I think what you mean is adding an explanation of calculating a spell's total value, which I guess I can do, but I'll have to find a place to put it since it wouldn't belong in a section about spell power/intellect. Fortunately, I renamed section III to "miscellaneous mechanics" just incase I wanted to add things like that.
Edited by Nysem on 1/12/2011 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey Nysem, my main is a shadow priest. I took the haste plateau values from your tables in Section 2 and converted them into haste numbers at your conversion rate of 1%=128.whatever-it-was. I then adjusted the numbers for already having 3/3 Darkness and Shadowform and re-did the numbers for the common spriest DoTs. I pasted the table on the shadow priest pve sticky, and hautududis suggested posting it here instead. Dunno if you want to use it or not... but here it is. Do with it as you like >.<

Note: All numbers are rounded up to the nearest hundredth
Note: I also added Hymn of Hope on there since some early on spriests might be using that for mana regen and be curious as to how many times it is ticking (also waiting for a Hurricane enchant to proc might yield an extra tick from Hymn of Hope, thus changing when you might decide to use it)... and since divine hymn and renew has the same haste mechanics and ticks per application, they will follow the same plateau levels as Hymn of Hope... so they are there too.

Vampiric Touch
5 Ticks ---- 0 (Base)
6 Ticks ---- 236.91
7 Ticks ---- 2798.05
8 Ticks ---- 5359.19
9 Ticks ---- 7920.33

Devouring Plague
8 Ticks ---- 0 (Base)
9 Ticks ---- 0 (Darkness and Shadowform are enough to get you a 9th tick)
10 Ticks --- 1357.41
11 Ticks --- 2958.12
12 Ticks --- 4558.83
13 Ticks --- 6159.55
14 Ticks --- 7760.26
15 Ticks --- 9360.97

Shadow Word: Pain
6 Ticks ---- 0 (Base)
7 Ticks ---- 23.48
8 Ticks ---- 2157.77
9 Ticks ---- 4292.05
10 Ticks --- 6426.33
11 Ticks --- 8560.62

Divine Hymn/Hope/Renew
4 Ticks ---- 0 (Base)
5 Ticks ---- 557.05
6 Ticks ---- 3758.48
7 Ticks ---- 6959.90

Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
My post didn't go through because these forums are awesome so I don't know if I'll end up double posting or what. Anyway, I'd rather not post all that due to character limits on these forums. Rather what I wanted to do was make an interactive spreadsheet to let the user pick their haste buffs from a dropdown menu and have it spit out the breakpoints in haste rating, as you did there, then put a link here in the guide. I need to familarize myself with Excel again since I haven't used it in so long (I'm actually creating them in Openoffice but they share functionality in either program no doubt) but that is something I would like to do.

I won't be busy for the next couple of days so I can do that in addition to writing what I mentioned above and compiling a list of things to update for 4.0.6.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Nice, keep up the good work :P
Reply Quote
60 Dwarf Hunter
Question for you:

Reading this thread at shadowpriest.com
http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=29709

If you want to know how much ticks you gain for a DoT/HoT or a canalised spell (but not Mind Flay nor Penance), it's

%haste x base_#ticks + 1/2
Rounded down.

Therefore, %haste needed to gain 1 2 3 4 and 5 ticks for each spells are,

%haste unbuff (rating needed with 5% buff and 3% talent, multiplicatives)
#base_ticks -> +1 tick - +2 - +3 - +4 - +5
4 -> 12.50% (0132) - 37.50% (0890) - 62.50% (1648) - ...
5 -> 10.00% (0056) - 30.00% (0663) - 50.00% (1268) - 70.00% (1876) - ...
6 -> 08.34% (0006) - 25.00% (0511) - 41.67% (1017) - 58.34% (1522) - ...
8 -> 06.25% (0000) - 18.75% (0322) - 31.25% (0701) - 43.75% (1080) - 56.25% (1459)

Seems to think the haste values are a bit higher than yours, ie Vamp Embrace gets 7 ticks at 62.5% haste.

Any confirmation one way or another?

I might test this tonight by using my 70 sunwell gear priest, and try to hit 1st haste plateaus for each (say 10%) if I get extra tick then all good, else I'll aim for 12.5% to see if extra tick happens.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Actually, breakpoints are determined solely by the amount of ticks the spell has at 0% haste. That chart there basically gives breakpoints for spells with 4, 5, 6, and 8 ticks at 0% haste. 62.5% is when spells with 4 base ticks (Renew, Divine Hymn, and Hymn of Hope) get their seventh, which is there in Ninahagen's chart. Honestly, I think that could stand to be a lot less confusing but those are correct and identical to what I have in my OP (No ratings yet, though).

The breakpoint for VT's seventh tick would be 30%, which I had confirmed for myself ingame at one point just to make sure I hadn't made a mistake.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Oh thank you for doing this post.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Hey, pretty certain 16.66666 haste is not nearly enough for a 4th lightwell tick, it merely brings it down to a 1.7 gap between each tick so it doesnt fit over 6 seconds... maybe i missed an update somewhere in this thread but its late and I'm sleepy :<
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Hey, pretty certain 16.66666 haste is not nearly enough for a 4th lightwell tick, it merely brings it down to a 1.7 gap between each tick so it doesnt fit over 6 seconds... maybe i missed an update somewhere in this thread but its late and I'm sleepy :<

The reason you are not getting a tick is because buffs that directly increase casting speed don't have any effect on Lightwell - only haste rating, and effects that increase haste rating. You've obviously seen that 16.66% with raid buffs won't give it another tick, but if you get the ~2134 haste rating required for 16.66% haste (This can be done with a Potion of Speed and an Elixir of Mighty Speed, stat food, and lots of reforging and some regemming) then you will indeed see a fourth tick.

Edit - Witching Hourglass procs too.
Edited by Nysem on 1/19/2011 5:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Updated to reflect recent hotfixes - Sin and Punishment in particular.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest

The reason you are not getting a tick is because buffs that directly increase casting speed don't have any effect on Lightwell - only haste rating, and effects that increase haste rating. You've obviously seen that 16.66% with raid buffs won't give it another tick, but if you get the ~2134 haste rating required for 16.66% haste (This can be done with a Potion of Speed and an Elixir of Mighty Speed, stat food, and lots of reforging and some regemming) then you will indeed see a fourth tick.

Edit - Witching Hourglass procs too.

I see, thanks. Does this same issue affect renew?

I actually did the lightwell test with just the 3 talent points that give you 3% haste, i found no issue with renew which i guess might answer my own question, but lightwell never got the extra tick so i was dissapointed, if it can only be haste rating that's pretty intense.
Edited by Alessandra on 1/22/2011 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
No, none of your periodic abilities will have that problem. Lightwell is the only one I know of that can only function with haste rating. :<
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]