how hunters looking in pvp now and come cata?

85 Human Warlock
Just curious, never really played a hunter since BC. it was pretty fun then, but it was my friends so i was thinking about starting one. not really checking to see if they will be amazingly OP, just making sure they wont be dead at the bottom.

thank you
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Depends what PvP means to you.

I think Hunters might have it tough in Arena, but in BGs we're fine.

In duels we can get beaten by most people, but duels don't mean much.
Reply Quote
43 Blood Elf Rogue
I will say it will be harder then pre 4.0....but its not going to be like climbing everest as some are claiming, nor will it be a battle like 5 yrd vs mike tyson.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
ok cool cool, so its sounding pretty workable. im mainly looking to do bg's, thats where i have my most fun. though i havent been able to do arena with my own actual character i leveled up, i dont think il like it much since i dnt play a whole lot and my group would be of the same lol
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
ok cool cool, so its sounding pretty workable. im mainly looking to do bg's, thats where i have my most fun. though i havent been able to do arena with my own actual character i leveled up, i dont think il like it much since i dnt play a whole lot and my group would be of the same lol

Yeah BGs are awesome. I find I'm putting out pretty decent damage and have a lot of defensive tools to help survive. Some people disagree, but there always is someone who disagrees.
Reply Quote
43 Blood Elf Rogue
Where its probably going to be hardest is at the top end arena... for casuals its should def be workable...although I still expect most to complain.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Where its probably going to be hardest is at the top end arena... for casuals its should def be workable...although I still expect most to complain.

If I can get the same gear doing BGs I will never step into Arena (maybe I will if my friends want me to - but they suck pretty bad and I don't like losing that much).
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
Depends what PvP means to you.

I think Hunters might have it tough in Arena, but in BGs we're fine.

In duels we can get beaten by most people, but duels don't mean much.

I disagree. Rated BGs duels will matter much more than they do in pug BGs. Let's say we are way behind and we have to go on full attack mode and leave the hunter (who had just ressed) at a point to guard then one other player comes to take it we will have no defense. It will turn into a duel and we will lose.

We can't be counted on as a PVP class in rated BGs unless we can hold our own when it's a 1 on 1 situation. Right now in beta hunters can't beat anyone consistently 1v1. We counter nobody.
Reply Quote
If you run rated BG's to get top gear, expect very high levels of competition. It won't be casual by a longshot. Hunters are looking poor for PVP, as we got about 10 nerfs and 2 buffs in the patch. That is a net loss of 8. It's hard to overcome that much loss, since we weren't OP before.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
I've done okay so far and I'm sure I'll do okay in future.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter

I do OK in BGs now too, but I know for a fact that I cannot beat anyone 1v1. As much as people say it doesn't matter it happens a lot more than people think. The only reason we get the killing blows and top damage is that we hide behind everyone else and snipe others kills from them.

If BGs were actually rated on class effectiveness we would be at the bottom for sure.

Get this... I snipe a TON of kills on my warlock. Immolate/curse of elements and then a conflag with a instant soulfire. I usually top the charts on my warlock in killing blows, but the difference between my warlock and hunter is that if I had to fight someone 1 on 1 I would have a chance.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter

I do OK in BGs now too, but I know for a fact that I cannot beat anyone 1v1. As much as people say it doesn't matter it happens a lot more than people think. The only reason we get the killing blows and top damage is that we hide behind everyone else and snipe others kills from them.

If BGs were actually rated on class effectiveness we would be at the bottom for sure.

Get this... I snipe a TON of kills on my warlock. Immolate/curse of elements and then a conflag with a instant soulfire. I usually top the charts on my warlock in killing blows, but the difference between my warlock and hunter is that if I had to fight someone 1 on 1 I would have a chance.

I've been in a lot of 1 on 1 situations in the past few weeks and have won more often than lost. A lot of the time if I lose it's because I forget to do something (trap, wyvern sting, etc).

I actually thought we received a stealth damage buff or something but I guess I have just been coming up against someone who has no idea every single time. Or maybe I'm a freak but I highly doubt that one.

Maybe you should keep at it and not give up. You might get pleasantly surprised :D
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Hunters are cannon fodder lol, they really cant do much and get focused down early on so they cant sit back and snipe. With rated BGs you will be up against pro teams like it or not...the stupid will be gone from BGs, cause the stupid will be culled out instantly.

And no pro team will allow the hunter room to breath let alone snipe, esp when they are easily killed off.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter

I've been in a lot of 1 on 1 situations in the past few weeks and have won more often than lost. A lot of the time if I lose it's because I forget to do something (trap, wyvern sting, etc).

I actually thought we received a stealth damage buff or something but I guess I have just been coming up against someone who has no idea every single time. Or maybe I'm a freak but I highly doubt that one.

Maybe you should keep at it and not give up. You might get pleasantly surprised :D

Believe me I tried. Anytime I get jumped I die lol.. My 277 Zod's was doing horrid damage so I got a 264 PVP gun. I couldn't wait to get it done. Back in Vanilla hunters had a decent chance of beating almost everyone (except S-Priests and Warlocks).

I think my issue is just that I don't have fun with the changes because I was used to something else for more than 5 years and it is completely different now. Since I am not really fond of the changes I just loaf around in pretty much every situation PVE or PVP.

If this was my job then I would be putting in my two week notice, and getting that fancy new job at the warlock hut. hehe..

Basically the class isn't really fun for me to play anymore so I think I called it in. I tried to like it but I would rather have fun playing than being miserable. The change isn't for everyone, and some will still like it, all I can say is GL :) Hope they fix yall.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter

Hunters are cannon fodder lol, they really cant do much and get focused down early on so they cant sit back and snipe. With rated BGs you will be up against pro teams like it or not...the stupid will be gone from BGs, cause the stupid will be culled out instantly.

And no pro team will allow the hunter room to breath let alone snipe, esp when they are easily killed off.

Well then the pro team can focus fire me. I'll spec MM so I can deterrence, readiness, deterrence. I'll also stack a whole lot of stamina. That way while they sit there trying to kill me, my team can kill them.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter

Believe me I tried. Anytime I get jumped I die lol.. My 277 Zod's was doing horrid damage so I got a 264 PVP gun. I couldn't wait to get it done. Back in Vanilla hunters had a decent chance of beating almost everyone (except S-Priests and Warlocks).

I think my issue is just that I don't have fun with the changes because I was used to something else for more than 5 years and it is completely different now. Since I am not really fond of the changes I just loaf around in pretty much every situation PVE or PVP.

If this was my job then I would be putting in my two week notice, and getting that fancy new job at the warlock hut. hehe..

Basically the class isn't really fun for me to play anymore so I think I called it in. I tried to like it but I would rather have fun playing than being miserable. The change isn't for everyone, and some will still like it, all I can say is GL :) Hope they fix yall.

/shrug

You're right, if you aren't having fun then you should go for another class.

I'm enjoying it at the moment. I feel a bit underpowered, but not massively underpowered. I still get lots of kills, I can still beat people 1v1. If I get focus fired by 3+ people, I still die.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
well this is sounding for the most part positive lol wel another big question i have, since it takes me a while as a casual player who gets bored of quests, is it fun to level up with hunter? (good survivability, fun skills that make you OP compared to mobs for a lil when you first get them)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
well this is sounding for the most part positive lol wel another big question i have, since it takes me a while as a casual player who gets bored of quests, is it fun to level up with hunter? (good survivability, fun skills that make you OP compared to mobs for a lil when you first get them)

It's extremely easy, but not necessarily exciting. I could get most stuff done with just my pet and autoshot (and mend pet).

You can easily take on elites your level or higher sometimes, or mobs a few levels higher.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Yes when facing mobs through questing farming instance play ect its really fun and pretty easy....however the skill curve between pve and pvp on a hunter is tremendous, an average player on a hunter in pve will roll through content like a speeding bullet. But that same player will find himself utterly tested and tried and sweating bullets in pvp. We have all heard of the so called faceroll classes in pvp ..the 2 button wonder kids ...well never worry the hunter in pvp will never have the 2 button syndrome not matter what people say...2 button hunter is a dead hunter in pvp.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]