So just Hear Me out

90 Orc Shaman
I know there are tons of complaints with shaman, maybe just enhancement or maybe all specs, I don't follow it closely, because most of the time I enjoyed playing my shaman and didn't really care. But now with the newly redone paladin, I am finding problems with my once beloved Shaman. (and No this isn't some throwback to back when shaman and pallies were pitted against each other) The thing is, I really enjoy the new Paladin play style, with the building up of Holy Power and the smaller reliance on Mana, it seems streamlined and sleak, and is just a smooth cycle altogether. So I was wondering what the thoughts would be on if Shaman got redone and we given a system akin to Holy Power, or Death Knight Runes, as these new "other" resource cycles are a lot of fun. If Shaman were redone Totems could be overhauled and solve that problem as well. So here is my idea, its still not complete and a little hazy right now, but I would love to hear opinions and helpful critiques, as I will be updating this as I think of more things. Maybe perhaps if we all work together we can make a system that everybody likes. My idea, so you know before you jump in, is a large redoing of the shaman, replacing and creating a bunch of new spells. So here goes:

I was thinking that the Shaman at level one could start off with all four totems, but they are no longer drop able buffs or spells, but the new resource, in your first levels, you get spells that empower your totems, giving you a charge to the respective element. Your starting out spell would be gale shock, dealing nature dmg and slowing melee and casting speed (think ES but associated with wind). Casting this would give you one wind charge, each totem could hold up to 3 charges. your Next spells would give you fire, then water, then earth charges. Later spells will use one or two types of charges. The new way of shaman would delegate elements to specific trees, as well as having each tree use a new element, or combination element, Elemental getting Air/Water, and its combo: Storm, Enhance getting Earth /Fire and its combo Magma, and Resto getting, two groups: Air/Fire and Earth/Water getting the combos of Spirit and Mud respectively.

This would make the totem system a mix of Holy Power and DK Runes, having you build up charges and then using them as either "pure runes" or a weird version of Death runes. So for example using gale shock again, the shaman would build up an air charge, and maybe through talents have away to build water charges through gale shock (as most water spells are healing), then with one air and one water he could cast a storm spell, like a new lightning bolt or something. There would still be mana as well, used as the resource for spells that charge the totem.

This redoing, would also slightly pigeon hole each spec more, leaving most of the longer range spells solely to ele, adding new short range and melee abilites for enhance, and of course heals for resto.

Thats all for now, but I would love advice. Can't wait to see what you guys say! :)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Intresting.
Reply Quote
62 Dwarf Hunter
If they ever give a new resource to shamans please call it Primal Force. :)

Regarding your ideas, they seem very clunky/complicated. Although i think the totem system needs to be reworked.

Another idea could be to tie this new resource system to the shield the shaman is using (the spell, that is), since it already has 3+ charges. For example, if you cast Lightning Shield on yourself, a resource bar under your mana appears, everytime you cast X you get a charge and then release it when you reach 3 (or maybe have the option to release them before that). Lightning Shield could do more damage while Water Shield gives more healing. Like the Fulmination talent.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
If it ain't broke don't fix it
Reply Quote
62 Dwarf Hunter

But mana IS broken for Enhancement. They dont have to manage it. Its the same problem Ret pallies had.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

Problem.

It is broke.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Shaman
I like the idea it could change how shamans use their totems, ahh yes beloved totems.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight

Problem.

It is broke.

Yes, but Ghostcrawler will spindoctor "uniqueness" and statements of "they're iconic" into allowing them to remain broke.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Warrior
I stopped Enhance Shaman's when the ceased to be enjoyable (WotLK launch).

I might try it again were they to rework totems, they are both bothersome and situationally-problematic as it is now.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

Problem.

It is broke.

Yes, but Ghostcrawler will spindoctor "uniqueness" and statements of "they're iconic" into allowing them to remain broke.

You mean like Bloodlust?

OH WAIT!

I want to make your line my sig, but there are no sigs. :(
Edited by Matuk on 11/17/2010 8:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Shaman
Most of us can agree currently totems are not doing what we want them to. Most of the unique buffs are gone, much to our dismay. I dont know if this is the right direction, but we either need to go forward or back, if we go back totems become more powerful, and we fix old problems with better range/less mana. If we go forward, we have to redo everything. I dont know what that would look like, but a unique resource would probably be the way to go.
Perhapse if we worked in the idea of carying totems on our back like cairne bloodhoof (there is already a thread for that). Anyway, if we have to go forward, then we would need to adress the buff issue (used to be a real reason to take shamy along, not so much anymore). I am attracted to the idea of using spells to build up 4 different charges which could be used in unique combinations, but Im not sure if we want to replace totems with that. Primal Force? Im thinking something with the word elemental in it. Important thought, we already have ALOT of spells we have to choose from, additional complexity might be taking it too far. SUMMARY: We need to change totems, buffing them will work or giving them new fuctionality would work as well, but staying as it is is NOT good.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I really don't like your system. I like our totems, in pvp they are awesome and feel powerful a lot of the time. The only time I have a problem with them is when I'm raiding. In raiding the fights can be so spread out your refreshing your totems so many times it's a DPS/Healing loss (one we suffer and no one else does (one we're not compensated for)). In PvP the totems don't need to be refreshed cause they are short term or killed because of what the totem does, yet we're still not fully locked out of using another totem.

Also to the people saying that mana management is broke cause it's infinite. That's the new model Blizzard has stated that they want. DPS shouldn't have to manage mana (that includes all clothies), I can't recall the thread but it is out their.
Edited by Snuglsanhugs on 11/17/2010 8:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Also to the people saying that mana management is broke cause it's infinite. That's the new model Blizzard has stated that they want. DPS shouldn't have to manage mana (that includes all clothies), I can't recall the thread but it is out their.

But they clearly want us to manage an actual resource.

Warriors have Rage. Feral Druids and Rogues have Combo Points and Energy. Ret Pallies have Holy Power.
Shaman have...oh wait. Nothing!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

But they clearly want us to manage an actual resource.

Warriors have Rage. Feral Druids and Rogues have Combo Points and Energy. Ret Pallies have Holy Power.
Shaman have...oh wait. Nothing!

They may be working toward it. They have gotten enhancement rotation down to a point where they may be able to actually implement a resource. Still I considered CD management part of being an Enhance Shaman, so it really felt like that was our resource.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
It would be interesting to see more raid boss fights where a well timed grounding totem was necessary. Heck, Tremor and Earthbind too.

Those totems are rather unique, but since there's no real use for them in a raid boss encounter all we're stuck with are crappy buff sticks that are overshadowed by amazing DK auras.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
It would be interesting to see more raid boss fights where a well timed grounding totem was necessary. Heck, Tremor and Earthbind too.

Those totems are rather unique, but since there's no real use for them in a raid boss encounter all we're stuck with are crappy buff sticks that are overshadowed by amazing DK auras.

Earthbind was good for LK Valks. Tremor was good for blood queen. grounding was good for ToC: PvP boss. They have their times, and that's when I like our totems. Not just as buff sticks.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Exactly. There's only a sparse handful of encounters where our truly unique totems shine. If the dev squad wants to tout the iconic uniqueness of totems, without polishing our buff sticks, give us somewhere to use the rest of them.

Rogues would just FoK crippling on valks for me, so my EB was just there to give wobbly purple stuff underfoot, and a gigantic IMMUNE across LK's head :(
Reply Quote
I agree that the holy power is a really sleek and smooth system I just wish they'd implemented it where it was begged for for years...maelstrom. Something that stacks that allows for healing or damage, hmm that sounds just like maelstrom only wait its for pallies so make it only stack to 3 and they can use it at any level instantly only it makes the spell weaker instead of a cast time. Yup, it was definitely something we've pointed out countless times that they decided paladins needed instead.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Let me see if I am reading your post correctly.

Each totem holds 3 charges? So you want to make shamans have a 12 step attack rotation, with 4 different finishing moves? Who would want to memorize that?

Also, I don't see what "problem" you are trying to solve, considering that enhancement shamans have had a power up system longer than paladins have.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Let me see if I am reading your post correctly.

Each totem holds 3 charges? So you want to make shamans have a 12 step attack rotation, with 4 different finishing moves? Who would want to memorize that?

Also, I don't see what "problem" you are trying to solve, considering that enhancement shamans have had a power up system longer than paladins have.

Yes and no. While they would have a total of 12 charges, you wouldn't be using all twelve all the time, Enhance would focus on fire and earth, totems, with 6 total charges, some spells using only fire or only earth, and others using both, ele would use air and water more, and resto would focus on water and earth, with a little bit of fire and air, to summon sncestral spirits or w/e. the talent specs would narrow the spectrum making it less complicated
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]