Mirror Images

91 Goblin Mage
I was soloing the tiger boss in ZG and I noticed that I was still getting attacked even after I popped mirror images. For those of you that don't know the way it used to work when you were soloing when you mirror imaged the mobs would attack them before attacking you.
I was wondering is this a bug or working as intended cause I didn't see anything in the patch notes about it.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
I haven't had that issue with my MI since the patch.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
Ack, double post.
Edited by Evilzoidberg on 11/18/2010 7:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Our Mirror Images may be stupid, but you've got to hand to them; they've got Balls.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I was having this problem on the Raptor boss.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Our Mirror Images may be stupid, but you've got to hand to them; they've got Balls.

Indeed they do. I watch with envy as they just stand there stationary when a shadow trap forms at their feet. They don't even flinch.
Edited by Zothen on 11/18/2010 8:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
I believe the problem is in how you are pulling the mobs, as I've experienced this issue on occasion on the tiger and raptor boss. If you run into more than 1 mob then they will all obviously aggro onto you. You pop MI and thus your threat goes to 0 or null or whatever it is on said mobs. However, the only mob that will then attack your MI is whichever one they are attacking, and the other mob(s) will continue to attack you because even though you don't have threat neither do your images so they will continue to attack you.

The way I've gotten around this was getting close enough to those bosses that when you pop MI they will attack one of those mobs and then everything aggros to the images and not you.

I never had this problem pre-patch, so its probably related to the patch, but the method above has gotten around this issue for me.
Reply Quote
If you are facing multiple targets solo and use MI your threat is put to the insanely negative number for the 30 second duration, but unless your images make a threatening action on a target it will continue to follow you. The images need to make it onto the targets threat list before they'll "tank" for you. You can fix this by entering combat, dropping combat (invis), waiting, then starting combat by casting MI. All the targets within vision that you have been in combat with before will beat feet to whack your images and you can nuke away.
Reply Quote
I have not tried to solo Thekkal since the patch. Is it possible to do as Fire? Just a nuke and interupt caster after popping MI?

I would try but don't have access to the computer for a few hours.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
I have not tried to solo Thekkal since the patch. Is it possible to do as Fire? Just a nuke and interupt caster after popping MI?

I would try but don't have access to the computer for a few hours.

I have done it as Fire but I've found its easier as Frost or Arcane on a consistent basis. It can be quite simple as Fire if your procs line up so that you get a decent combustion going and then spread that to the other mobs via impact. That burns those things down quite quickly. But if you don't then I found its more of a pain because sometimes your dots will take one of the mobs down before you want it to die so you don't have time to burn the other 2 and because you won't know if your procs will line up or not until you get a bit into the fight and if they don't you might not be able to stop your first target from dying because of dots and the damage you put out hoping for a strong combustion.

When it all lines up perfectly Fire takes everything out faster and easier than the other two, but when it doesn't I tend to have to invis and try again. Its just simpler to use Arcane or Frost since there's no rng involved.

Also, the person who mentioned pulling the mobs, invising to reset, then using MI to pull is right, that's basically another way to let MI pull as I suggested in my earlier post.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
As of the latest patch, 4.0.3, Mirror Image threat negation has been bugged. Before, your character essentially had negative 4 million threat, plus the accumulated threat. Therefore, your Mirror Images -always- had more threat than you did. So if you were doing Chillmaw, the bombers that jump down would attack your images always. However, since 4.0.3, they now will sometimes run after you instead and ignore your images.
Reply Quote
Did blizzard comment somewhere if this is in fact a bug or an intended change?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Been happening to me in Karazhan as well, Moroes's adds would ignore the images and attack my Mage.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
This bug might explain the problem I had in ICC last night. I always look at Omen to see where I am on threat a few seconds before my MI's expire so I know if I need to Invis or not. Last night for a couple fights, I'd look over at it, not see my name anywhere near the top of the list. So I'd just keep pewpewing only to have a very angry boss in my face a few seconds later.

Before this patch, Omen would show where you were on threat, complete with your percentage of the tank's threat and everything, but the bar would be grayed out. What I noticed last night was that when I popped MI, Omen would instantly say I have 0 threat and would move me to the very bottom of the list.

An annoying bug to be sure, but nowhere near as annoying the fact that they STILL haven't fixed the fact that game sounds are way out of sync.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]