1 vs 1 what classes do you kill?

86 Dwarf Rogue

Reading most of these comments and it seems like a lot of you are making opinions based off awful players in bgs.

Reading this comment shows that you like to stroke your ego alone in the dark.
If you have advice share it.

Unsubstantiated claims dont make others agree with you in the way a convincing argument might. These are duels not arena. No heals, no peels, no BS (just backstabs).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue

Never trinket a blind, that's basically handing over the fight.

Take Cun's advice, he seems to be the only one who knows what's up and there's no point in me repeating what he's said.

it depends, usually when i trinket blind inmediatly i blind him, if he doesnt trinket i re-stealth and open on him again, if he does, vanish, and he will get stuned anyways.
Edited by Capezio on 11/19/2010 4:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
With full wrath / 277 weap players:

DK - yes; not easy

War - 50% of the time

Hunter - yes; easy

Lock - easy dest/aff; lose to demo 2/3 times usually

Mage - can't beat frost; usually beat fire; easy arcane

Priest - long but beat healers; can't beat shadow

Pally - yes ret but long; other specs nobody wins

Druid - 50% of the time vs any spec

Sham - yes; easy but havn't dueld resto

...but taht's just me
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
List looks about right, my additions would be:

Locks -
Demonology Locks are nearly impossible with the Hellfire glyph (increases range by 10 yards resulting in 20). We are forced to use SS for the opener and Garrote isn't reliable due to lag, so disarming the Felguard gives a small window of opportunity. This is coming from a duelist perspective where each class will have all of his cooldowns ready. In BGs, you should be able to get the jump on the Warlock. Just make sure you focus the felguard and disarm them. The Warlock will just be confused as to why his pet isn't stunning you.

Any other type is easy.

Paladin -
Holy takes forever but just requires setting up a 1 minute rotation and executing it repeatedly. Bubbling can set this back even longer.

Ret is easy as long as you don't engage without trinket. If you're stuck without trinket you better CloS at an opportune time to not get caught in HoJ.

Prot is easy.

Priest -
Use all of your cooldowns and any type of Priest is pretty easy to manage. Lock them down with Garrote and KS, use blind offensively and expect them to trinket the blind (if they have experience dueling Rogues).

Depending on the Priest, I use CloS offensively. If they are a good player, don't try it. Trinket fear, not the disarm.

Druid -
Resto is similar to a holy Paladin. Stop attacking when thorns is up. If they have the thorn glyph, leave.

Balance is easy. Watch out for thorns and use CloS offensively when they cast it if you need to keep the pressure up.

Dwarves are blessed against Ferals. You should never have a problem with them if you're a Dwarf, because they can't do anything after Evasion is up (any other Rogue - if they get the jump, you're dead). You basically can't let them hit you once. Save 5PT kidney for when they switch forms and use Recup if they go bear. Save trinket for bash.

Warrior -
Garrote + Rupture + Recup. Don't stun them.

Rogue -
If you get the jump, mirror their cooldowns and keep bleeds on them. Make sure you have Hemo glyphed. If you don't get the jump, try to Blind + Sap. This is another area where Dwarf Rogues are best.

Mage -
Pray he is a bad player.

Again, this is only in duels. For BGs depending on who you are with you will want to adapt much different strategies.

Sorry but you are not gonna bleed any warrior unless hes a complete scrub. Rupture absolutely BLOWS as a bleed effect. It avgs with hemo up around 750-825 a tick and it might crit for around 1.6k.

Any warrior with a 264+ weapon will hit you like a truck and it even gets worse at 85. Warrior vs Rogue is basically playing Russian Roulette and you're gonna lose 99% of the time if hes some what equally geared.
Reply Quote
Wanted to add something about the people who were complaining about the shadow priests. Personally I found that taking away their shield at the start can make a difference between win/lose. In stealth you have the luxury of studying the opponent. Some shadow priests don't recast bubble until the last 10 seconds before it wears so perfect for a sap>opener (prolly garrote which is most likely followed with a dispersion so get back into stealth and repeat the process again! :D) Most s priests recast their bubble asap but there's a small window where renewed hope is still on- at about 17-16s remaining on their shield. Enough time for 2 or 3 saps>opener.

Idk maybe someone is gonna say that this tactic is stupid but my gf plays a s priest and after losing to her a billion times I used this trick and won- just need to have the patience. Since I won I've been using it on other sp riests and haven't had much problem.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Rogue
List looks about right, my additions would be:

Locks -
Demonology Locks are nearly impossible with the Hellfire glyph (increases range by 10 yards resulting in 20). We are forced to use SS for the opener and Garrote isn't reliable due to lag, so disarming the Felguard gives a small window of opportunity. This is coming from a duelist perspective where each class will have all of his cooldowns ready. In BGs, you should be able to get the jump on the Warlock. Just make sure you focus the felguard and disarm them. The Warlock will just be confused as to why his pet isn't stunning you.

Any other type is easy.

Paladin -
Holy takes forever but just requires setting up a 1 minute rotation and executing it repeatedly. Bubbling can set this back even longer.

Ret is easy as long as you don't engage without trinket. If you're stuck without trinket you better CloS at an opportune time to not get caught in HoJ.

Prot is easy.

Priest -
Use all of your cooldowns and any type of Priest is pretty easy to manage. Lock them down with Garrote and KS, use blind offensively and expect them to trinket the blind (if they have experience dueling Rogues).

Depending on the Priest, I use CloS offensively. If they are a good player, don't try it. Trinket fear, not the disarm.

Druid -
Resto is similar to a holy Paladin. Stop attacking when thorns is up. If they have the thorn glyph, leave.

Balance is easy. Watch out for thorns and use CloS offensively when they cast it if you need to keep the pressure up.

Dwarves are blessed against Ferals. You should never have a problem with them if you're a Dwarf, because they can't do anything after Evasion is up (any other Rogue - if they get the jump, you're dead). You basically can't let them hit you once. Save 5PT kidney for when they switch forms and use Recup if they go bear. Save trinket for bash.

Warrior -
Garrote + Rupture + Recup. Don't stun them.

Rogue -
If you get the jump, mirror their cooldowns and keep bleeds on them. Make sure you have Hemo glyphed. If you don't get the jump, try to Blind + Sap. This is another area where Dwarf Rogues are best.

Mage -
Pray he is a bad player.

Again, this is only in duels. For BGs depending on who you are with you will want to adapt much different strategies.

Sorry but you are not gonna bleed any warrior unless hes a complete scrub. Rupture absolutely BLOWS as a bleed effect. It avgs with hemo up around 750-825 a tick and it might crit for around 1.6k.

Any warrior with a 264+ weapon will hit you like a truck and it even gets worse at 85. Warrior vs Rogue is basically playing Russian Roulette and you're gonna lose 99% of the time if hes some what equally geared.

As terrible as rupture is, it is more damage than eviscerate.

I've never had a problem Garroting a warrior, even with them spamming Demoralizing Shout, just be patient, and make sure you use Shadow Step.

Opening with Recuperate ticking -> Premed -> ShS Garrote -> Hemo -> Rupture -> Disarm into a full energy shadow dance gives a massive amount of control in the fight and a lot of damage. Warriors are really easy. Make sure you don't stun them, that can make the fight very difficult.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I'm going to have to come back to this post. One of the more intelligent dialogues on rogue combat I've come across.

Can someone give me the obvious as to why never to stun a warr?
Reply Quote
Stunning a warrior, if he is arms, as I have been seeing some try as fury and hopelessly fail, heals the warrior and gives him extra rage from a talent called Second Wind
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Rogue
Second Wind restores 5% of total health over 10 seconds per talent point, resulting in 10% of total health over 10 seconds.

Blood Craze restores 7.5% of total health over 5 seconds with 3 points placed into the talent and is first tier of Fury. It has a 10% chance to proc when the Warrior takes ANY damage (With bleeds, wounding poison PPM, fast attacks, and insta-attacks, this will be up).

If a Warrior trinkets your KS, he will gain the 10% healing from Second Wind and not be stunned. If you blind a Warrior, Second Wind will proc. Crippling poison does not proc Second Wind.

Basically you're putting yourself at risk of giving the Warrior more rage and not losing much health when you kidney strike. You should never cheap shot a Warrior. A late kidney strike once their trinket is down would be the best time to use it, or if you want to force them to trinket so you can blind and reset.

The thing I am not sure about is whether or not Waylay will proc Second Wind, I am not specced in to it so I can't check. I get the feeling it does though, which would make Warriors a tough fight if every Backstab and Ambush is restoring health.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
From my experience,
Hunter - Easy to moderate to defeat alone depending on opener.
    -moderate to fight without at least one CC-breaker or Sprint
    -difficult to impossible to approach outside of Stealth
    -recovers battle momentum poorly to moderately, depending on Rogue spec
    -control must be applied to prevent kiting
    -easiest to kill as Subtlety spec

Warrior - Easy to defeat alone unless extremely geared or allowed to gain momentum.
    -easy to moderate to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -moderate to approach outside of Stealth
    -recovers battle momentum moderately to well, depending on Warrior spec/cooldowns
    -control should be applied to prevent momentum and burst
    -easiest to kill as Assassination spec

Death Knight - Moderate to defeat alone unless extremely geared or Blood spec.
    -moderate to fight without at least one CC-breaker, difficult if Death Knight is Frost spec
    -difficult to approach outside of Stealth
    -recovers battle momentum well
    -control must be applied to prevent momentum

Shaman - Easy to difficult to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -easy to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -recovers battle momentum very well as Restoration; recovers poorly otherwise
    -control must be applied to prevent healing

Warlock - Easy to extreme to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -impossible to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -impossible to approach outside of Stealth
    -recovers battle momentum moderately to very well, depending on spec/cooldowns
    -control must be applied to prevent kiting, and may be applied to prevent momentum

Priest - Easy to extreme to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -difficult to extreme to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -extreme to approach outside of Stealth
    -recovers battle momentum very well
    -control must be applied to prevent healing, and should be applied to prevent kiting

Mage - Moderate to extreme to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -extreme to impossible to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -control must be applied to prevent kiting and burst

Rogue - Easy to extreme to defeat alone depending on spec and opener.
    -extreme to impossible to approach outside of Stealth
    -control must be applied to prevent burst and should be applied to prevent CC

Druid - Difficult to impossible to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -difficult to impossible to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -difficult to extreme to approach outside of Stealth
    -recovers battle momentum extremely well
    -control must be applied to prevent healing and kiting and should be applied to prevent momentum

Paladin - Extreme to impossible to defeat alone.
    -moderate to impossible to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -craps momentum all over the place
    -control must be applied to prevent healing, cc, and burst

EDIT1: Caps corrections
Edited by Vihud on 11/20/2010 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
71 Draenei Warrior
As a complete PvP newb, what do you mean when you talk about recovering battle momentum?
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
As a complete PvP newb, what do you mean when you talk about recovering battle momentum?

"Order and disorder are a matter of organization, courage and cowardice are a matter of momentum, strength and weakness are a matter of formation. Therefore those who skillfully move opponents make formations that opponents are sure to follow, give what opponents are sure to take. They move opponents with the prospect of gain, waiting for them in ambush. therefore good warriors seek effectiveness in battle from the force of momentum, not from individual people. Therefore they are able to choose people and let the force of momentum do its work."

Momentum is coordinating your stuns with a warlock's fears. Momentum is applying 3 DoTs to the enemy in under 4 seconds, and following it up with a stunlock. Taking advantage of loss of momentum means watching for who has blown their vital cooldowns and picking them off. Don't fight anything harder than necessary. It's better to wait for an enemy to make a mistake and necessarily blow a cooldown and THEN strike, than it is to attack them at only a single advantage (1 guy alone, or 1 guy in a group who is low on health).

Classes with higher momentum become more dangerous more quickly than those with lower scores. This is, of course, my 1v1 opinion. Ratings would definitely change for group PvP.
Reply Quote
7 Orc Warrior
From my experience,
Hunter - Easy to moderate to defeat alone depending on opener.
    -moderate to fight without at least one CC-breaker or Sprint
    -difficult to impossible to approach outside of Stealth
    -recovers battle momentum poorly to moderately, depending on Rogue spec
    -control must be applied to prevent kiting

Warrior - Easy to defeat alone unless extremely geared or allowed to gain momentum.
    -easy to moderate to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -moderate to approach outside of Stealth
    -recovers battle momentum moderately to well, depending on Warrior spec/cooldowns
    -control should be applied to prevent momentum and burst

Death Knight - Moderate to defeat alone unless extremely geared or Blood spec.
    -moderate to fight without at least one CC-breaker, difficult if Death Knight is Frost spec
    -control must be applied to prevent momentum

Shaman - Easy to difficult to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -easy to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -recovers battle momentum very well as Restoration; recovers poorly otherwise
    -control must be applied to prevent healing

Warlock - Easy to extreme to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -impossible to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -recovers battle momentum moderately to very well, depending on spec/cooldowns
    -control must be applied to prevent kiting, and may be applied to prevent momentum

Priest - Easy to extreme to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -difficult to extreme to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -extreme to approach outside of Stealth
    -control must be applied to prevent healing, and should be applied to prevent kiting

Mage - Moderate to extreme to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -control must be applied to prevent kiting and burst

Rogue - Easy to extreme to defeat alone depending on spec and opener.
    -extreme to impossible to approach outside of Stealth
    -control must be applied to prevent burst and should be applied to prevent CC

Druid - Difficult to impossible to defeat alone depending on spec.
    -difficult to impossible to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -recovers battle momentum extremely well
    -control must be applied to prevent healing and kiting and should be applied to prevent momentum

Paladin - Extreme to impossible to defeat alone.
    -moderate to impossible to fight without at least one CC-breaker
    -craps momentum all over the place
    -control must be applied to prevent healing, cc, and burst

EDIT1: Caps corrections

This guy knows what he is talking about. Personally, I find priests way easier as Assassination if they are good enough to survive the initial onslaught from Sub burst, which any good priest can generally, but aside from that it's pretty dead on. Also, I'm surprised you said killing another rogue is easier as Assassination over Sub. Sub has way too many CD's to be inferior to Assassination in rogue v rogue imho. It's doable as Assassination, but I would have to say the edge goes to Sub.

For people having problems w/ priests, disc or shadow, I find
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
Prep really tips the balance there.

Well, I had a really nice reply written up, but the forums decided to eat it. Now you get this simplistic garbage with its unexplained generalizations.

You're probably right; the cooldowns add a lot of survivability (3 long CD's (4 if glyphed), reduced Vanish and Blind CD's, and ShD) and if you've got the stuff (CD's, gear, and timing) then Subtlety is probably better against Rogues.

I find Assassination easier against Rogues because many of them fight poorly outside of stealth (glyphed FoK's lol), and I rarely fight a Rogue who uses every single cooldown they've got. Plus, positioning is a ton easier and I can DoT them up, back off, and re-enter with ridiculous energy regen.

Sub Rogues, basically, gain momentum from cooldowns. Assassination Rogues gain momentum by attacking. Victory depends on the opportunities you take and being in the right place when there are no opportunities.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
NMB
You should consider players for their skill, not what class they rolled. A lock you think is is easily beatable may be overshadowed by another lock that is almost impossible. A hunter that is unable to get away from you might be very different to the next hunter who can kite you until you die without taking a single point of damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]