1 vs 1 what classes do you kill?

80 Night Elf Rogue
You should consider players for their skill ... a single point of damage.

Nobody in their right mind will disagree with that, but I'm not sure that generalizing skills or playstyles makes for good discussion.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
NMB

Nobody in their right mind will disagree with that, but I'm not sure that generalizing skills or playstyles makes for good discussion.

And lumping a class into a catagory of easy or hard is any better?
Reply Quote
7 Orc Warrior
Prep really tips the balance there.

Well, I had a really nice reply written up, but the forums decided to eat it. Now you get this simplistic garbage with its unexplained generalizations.

You're probably right; the cooldowns add a lot of survivability (3 long CD's (4 if glyphed), reduced Vanish and Blind CD's, and ShD) and if you've got the stuff (CD's, gear, and timing) then Subtlety is probably better against Rogues.

I find Assassination easier against Rogues because many of them fight poorly outside of stealth (glyphed FoK's lol), and I rarely fight a Rogue who uses every single cooldown they've got. Plus, positioning is a ton easier and I can DoT them up, back off, and re-enter with ridiculous energy regen.

Sub Rogues, basically, gain momentum from cooldowns. Assassination Rogues gain momentum by attacking. Victory depends on the opportunities you take and being in the right place when there are no opportunities.

That is, again, a mostly fair view of how the specs match up against each other. Good Sub rogues won't let you DoT and run to restealth though. They will DT/FoK/ShS > SD/Blind if desperate or out of options. Or, if they're sly, they'll wait for you to kite away and then kite the opposite way once you've committed to restealth themselves. You're forced to blow Sprint immediately to reopen(risking wasting it if you don't do it soon enough) or hope to catch up to them before Rup runs out.

I guess to put it another away, I would put money on Sub in a duel context with all CDs up no question. In any given BG situation, I would put money on the Assassination rogue simply because there's a high likelihood that the Sub rogue already had to blow a few CDs from a previous encounter. The less CDs are up, the better Assassination spec will do against Sub spec in general.
Reply Quote
7 Orc Warrior

And lumping a class into a catagory of easy or hard is any better?

To be fair, it's a well known fact that certain classes are designed to counter other classes. Using that as a general baseline to judge how fights are *in general* will give people an understanding of where they're genuinely pushing the limits of their class vs where they're missing huge gaps in knowledge in how to handle what should be a comparatively weaker class. This can even be done with specs.

For example, I find Enh Shammies the easiest to beat amongst the three Shaman specs. I find Ele and Resto both harder. A really good resto Shaman I find really hard to kill, probably the hardest. I don't think I'm unique here. That's the point.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I play resto shaman and arms war and everything so far in this thread is spot-on. Resto, because of the high armor and passive healing, can shrug off a rogue with ease. I find it very rare that a rogue will be able to dent me, but combined with any other class for added dps, a rogue's ability to prevent me from casting will most certainly kill me. Don't waste your time trying to solo a resto shaman, wait for one other friend and just kick and stun the crap out of him.

On my arms warrior, even without a weapon chain, dismantle isn't so bad. We have our shouts and charge to use during it, but if you put a garrote on us to prevent the shouts, and crippling poison to prevent us from easily creating a small gap for a charge, you can completely lock a warrior out of the first crucial seconds of the fight.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Also good for opening on demo locks is hitting Feint immediately after opening because you know it's going to be Axe Toss > Fel Storm while the lock is stunned/silenced. 50% less damage on fel storm makes it not so scary.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Rogue
Why do posts always turn in to mud slinging matches?
Everyone has a different playing style - if it works for that person, great! No one needs to go flaming someone just because they employ a different method when fighting another character. Back to the OP's query...

DK - easy
Warrior - too easy...so much so that I toss in a /gloat or a /dance after I sap them ;)
Hunter - easy
Ret Pally - too easy, Prot pally - easy, holy pally.....you have to be extremely precise on stun/interrupts, long fight, but can be done when timed correctly...which is very hard to do 100% of the time
Warlock - easy (harder if my trinket is on cd)
Mage - hard, but able to beat them if they are terribad
Priest - easier than a mage, but still damn hard
Druid - hard if I'm not paying attention to thorns, medium if they panic off my opener
Shaman - medium...can be burnt down if played effectively
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Feral druids routinely own my ass. It doesn't even seem fair really. After they put their bleeds on me they can just afk in bear form while I die. (cos needs to get rid of bleed imo)

Besides that, it seems pretty hard to kill good holy and resto pallies. Usually I'll just not fight them because they last too long.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I'm having trouble with all the crazy healers out there that can heal thru anything. I was in a BG once and got some holy pallie by themself and finally just gave up. I went back and read my log I did over 75k damage to him and never got him below 50%. It was crazy.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
After going through this entire thread and reading pretty much all of what was said, I'll agree with the majority of it.

I disagree with the "no evasion" on Warriors argument though. I'd much rather eat OP's than take my chance against RNG with a 30% dodge rating, and from my personal experience with and without evasion, without it I'm pretty much guaranteed the loss from anyone equally skilled and geared.

I also prefer dueling Warriors and Hunters as Assassination over Subtlety. Sure, I have less mobility, but as Assassination with Blackjack I can chain my defensive CD's (Evasion, Dismantle) after the effect wears off and effectively shut them out of the fight. With the opener and full Blackjack duration, evasion, dismantle, KS to force trinket and if they don't then they're done, if they do I blind/sap for a reset.

The only class I've really had a problem with as Assassination is Frost Mage, and I fully expected and accepted that. They're the only class that can effectively kite me.
Reply Quote
Don't really play my rogue much anymore, paladin as my main.

To all the rogues who said killing a prot is easy, i have yet to encounter a rogue that can do more than laughable damage to my paladin.
Reply Quote
72 Tauren Druid
Don't really play my rogue much anymore, paladin as my main.

To all the rogues who said killing a prot is easy, i have yet to encounter a rogue that can do more than laughable damage to my paladin.

Agreed.

One rogue in this thread mentioned prot paladins were easy to kill. You gotta be kidding me. They are almost invincible, specially for a rogue.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
##!# demolocks.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
NMB

One rogue in this thread mentioned prot paladins were easy to kill. You gotta be kidding me. They are almost invincible, specially for a rogue.

Mastery/Crit Assassination makes Paladins easymode.

Then again there's like...Twelve of us out there.

Amen <3 Assass is so underrated atm. I personally love it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
had my hemo bleed ticking for 800~
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I don't have it in me right now for a full response but had to comment on so many of you claiming pallys are easy. Ret pallys...yes. Prot/Holy Pally no. If you think prot/holy is easy that's simply because your dueling bad pallys.

Reply Quote
7 Orc Warrior
After going through this entire thread and reading pretty much all of what was said, I'll agree with the majority of it.

I disagree with the "no evasion" on Warriors argument though. I'd much rather eat OP's than take my chance against RNG with a 30% dodge rating, and from my personal experience with and without evasion, without it I'm pretty much guaranteed the loss from anyone equally skilled and geared.

I also prefer dueling Warriors and Hunters as Assassination over Subtlety. Sure, I have less mobility, but as Assassination with Blackjack I can chain my defensive CD's (Evasion, Dismantle) after the effect wears off and effectively shut them out of the fight. With the opener and full Blackjack duration, evasion, dismantle, KS to force trinket and if they don't then they're done, if they do I blind/sap for a reset.

The only class I've really had a problem with as Assassination is Frost Mage, and I fully expected and accepted that. They're the only class that can effectively kite me.

So true. Thing of it is, Assassination is obviously superior to Sub against plate due to high sustained dmg and the fact that warriors have a lotr of tricks to deny stealth, which Sub relies on heavily for dmg output.

As far as Evasion, this has been this way since Vanilla: you need to pop evasion *EARLY* when fighting a warrior, before you've taken any significant amount of dmg. I remember once I saw a rogue dueling a warrior, got charged, strung, rended, autoattacked to about 72% before he popped evasion and then proceeded to get owned. I told him he needed to pop Evasion early and he was all, "I did!"

In terms of numbers of seconds after contact, he was right. But in that short term he dropped to 70%ish and it was already too late. He rematched the warrior and popped Evasion closer to 95%ish and owned the warrior.
Reply Quote
7 Orc Warrior

Mastery/Crit Assassination makes Paladins easymode.

Then again there's like...Twelve of us out there.

Troof. I switched to Mastery from Haste a bit after 4.0 and never looked back. The difference in AEP is small enough and, more importantly, the *way* the dmg is increased via Mastery favors PvP imho while Haste favors PvE for Assassination. YMMV.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Warlock
My rogue has easiest time with shadow priests and locks.

However, my rogue is undead, fearing him is pretty close to impossible since I can break it twice. Fighting against any other class is like masochism though, have to hide away.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]