Pets vs Critters?

85 Blood Elf Hunter
Anyone noticed lately that after your pet kills a mob that it goes completely and totally out of its way to kill a critter?

I was running a few Outland dungeons with my Bear yesterday and I had him on defensive. So we kill a group and then randomly he will run to nearly the other side of the room or even into another room to kill this critter.

I eventually put him on passive and had to make him individually attack things due to nearly wiping a few times because of this.

It's annoying. Anyone else noticed this or is my bear speeshul?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Demoralizing roar - a zero damage aggro essentially

Don't use a bear in an instance anyway get a cat or raptor.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
It's not so much a bug, but a fact that the pet is using a 0-Damage AoE ability: Demoralizing Roar in the case of your bear. It happens with fox pets on the test server as well. The AoE puts the pet on the Critters agro table, so the pet will go and kill the critter... even if it's sprinted to the other side of the map.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
This isn't limited by range? I've felt that my pet will randomly go and attack just about anything. I have a wolf with out the aoe ability. He will just take off after a group that is out of LOS for me. Definitely on defensive. I keep getting politely told to stop solo pulling. :(
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
Yes on my bear running heroics in OL. I've swapped him out for my turtle for harder stuff...no running around after the fact. That little behavior has gotten me killed a few times.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
First noticed Papa bear doing this with the pre cata quest going to the throne of elements to see thrall little talk. I wasn't attacking anything in the whole zone and there he went killing the little critters. I quit using him for my dailies because of this. Too much of a hassle trying to fish, and him killing the random rabbit, snake etc. interupting my casts.

I hope they fix this because I like my griz.
Reply Quote
Aha! I've noticed this as well.. I've been farming Anzu in Heroic Sethekk Halls with my bear and have been mystified at why he was constantly going out of his way to kill a level 1 snake critter after taking out a group of mobs. Sometimes said critter is behind a group that I would otherwise be able to skip... if he hadn't run right in behind them to kill the poor critter! ><

This would never be an issue for me in groups, since in a group I'd be using my wolf instead. But I have been considering grabbing myself a worm for soloing, since I've seen several people say they're the pet to get for soloing stuff these days, as they have an AoE damage spell. I just haven't gotten around to taming one yet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]