Readiness - with no Focus Recovery

85 Night Elf Hunter
There have been quite a few constructive posts our there, a ton of QQ, and then a dose of fanboy posts. Each week more of the problems become apparent through play and more news come to us from beta.

Readiness with out restoration of Focus is another oddity to me. If you pop Readiness everything come off CD - great -- but no focus comes back - unless you use another skill and burn another CD.

Arcane Shot, Steady Shot, Tranq Shot, Widow Venom, Serpent Sting have no CD.

Chimera shot does not hit nearly as hard as it used to

Aimed Shot can only be used as a proc for most practical purposes

READINESS now appears to give hunter less rather than more.

It seems odd that this skill does not also provide focus recovery. Considering it has a fairly lengthy CD.
Reply Quote
Also what is there for Readiness to reset now besides Chimera and RF that hunters actually use in a standard PvE DPS priority?

It used to be that you could time Readiness to reset the CD on Chimera, Arcane, Aimed, KS (if below 20%), and RF.

Now Readiness seems very lackluster ESPECIALLY without some kind of instant focus gain. Its like great, I can pop Readiness, but I still have to steady or wait for more focus in order to fire my shot that just had its CD reset.

I guess the sole purpose of Readiness now is to make RF a 90 second CD instead of 3 mins.
Whoop-tiy-freaking-do.
Reply Quote
3 Tauren Druid
The pvp utility comes from scatter shot and traps while also refreshing the CD on rapid fire. The PVE utility is just rapid fire, chimera, and kill shot. That's a grand total of one less ability than it used to be that had a CD (no one used arcane so it doesn't count). For PVP you get the same thing as in pve if you have enough focus to chain chimeras which I guess is just something you'll have to plan for. Although I guess you sometimes used arcane shot too so we'll include that in the con section. Either way it's not so much different if you think about it. You lose the minor burst you'd get by using two rotations consecutively but it's honestly not that big a deal. Readiness was mostly for resetting your utility abilities as opposed to resetting your damage dealing abilities in pvp anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
I can agree with the OP, it should give us a focus regen boost for the duration of the proc effect.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
@Fluffaluffa
First thanks to you and the other two posters I see for staying on the subject. Readiness.

Yeah, I can see the PvP utility for thew Traps, Scatter Shot, Silencing Shot, Deterrence and Rapid Fire. For me, and every hunter is different, I still find MM to be the superior PvP spec at 80. Not because the damage because of the utility and the fact that my damage is not dispellable like survival. The marks tree has quite a few very useful PvP talents, but it the tree and the implementation (considering how we actually use the skills) don't match.

I dislike having to burn a second rapid fire to rebuild focus, but that is another story altogether, because, I prefer to conserve my CDs. (Of course with the reduced trap radius, I do find myself burning readiness to get a second chance to trap melee targets or heals that did not walk perfectly into a trap or happened to move slight while I was waiting on the trap launcher GCD effect.) But, I can live with what I dislike.

Still, having readiness without Focus regen or recovery attached appears to be another example of hunters giving up more than they have gained in the class revamp. Readiness with Focus regen would be great for our burst as an option. Before we had a choice: Burn Readiness Offensively for Burst Damage, Burns Readiness for CC, or Burn Readiness for Defense.

While, it can surely be argued that we still get burst form readiness to to rapid fire, it cannot be ignored that:

- Aimed Shot is now on a Proc
- Steady Shotting does not provide the Same Burst As Arcane, Arcane, Chimera

Give me your thought though. I'm open minded.

@ Gunzip thank you for the support.

Edit: Also, Readiness does Allow Master's Call to be reset as it always did, and that allows for some extreme kiting. However, if you kite at 80, no focus = no DPS. At 85 it may look a little different, but I really think Focus recovery is warranted considering this is a talented skill.
Edited by Byronelijah on 11/18/2010 8:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
3 Tauren Druid
First thanks to you and the other two posters I see for staying on the subject. Readiness.

It's hard to get off topic if you don't include anything in your post on something OTHER than readiness :P

As far as my thoughts on the matter? I don't think 50 Focus included in popping readiness would be too OP. It's not enough to have some get wasted and it's enough to fire off that second chimera instantly. It's certainly not something that is unreasonable. Also the primary thing that people are forgetting from a PVP (primarily arena aspect) that we have gained from the rework is a loss of requiring mana. Arena is where we suffered the most pain from mana. That's just something to think about though. I'd also like to point out a balance issue if aimed shot were the same as before. With the current GCD of only 1 second we're looking two aimed shots and two chimera shots (if we had enough focus to do that, which we wouldnt) in 4 seconds instead of in 6. That may not seem like a large difference but it seriously is. But that's not the current iteration of aimed shot so we don't have to worry about it. I would settle for a guaranteed two chimera shots back to back in 2 seconds instead of 3 and be happy about it. Essentially what we get now but not requiring you to pool your focus for anyhting more than a single chimera shot.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Hunter
I do not know your current knowledge of the BM Tree as you are discussing a MM talent but:
Fervor- Instantly gives you an your pet 50 focus. (Requires 10 points in beast mastery talents).
Should Readiness gain that sort of focus regen it would shut Fervor out as MM would be much more favourable with a talent that is Fervor plus.
Reply Quote
3 Tauren Druid
I do not know your current knowledge of the BM Tree as you are discussing a MM talent but:
Fervor- Instantly gives you an your pet 50 focus. (Requires 10 points in beast mastery talents).
Should Readiness gain that sort of focus regen it would shut Fervor out as MM would be much more favourable with a talent that is Fervor plus.

You're mistaken. 50 Focus on a 3 minute cooldown is a drop in the bucket.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I've used readiness to reset Silencing Shot as well. Granted...just to try and get that damn achievement "Less Rabi."
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter

Playing BM and playing Marks is different. BM is much much more about tunneling your damage and keeping you pet leaning on the target. I don't think marks can replace BM in the setups that BM is most effective in. With MM on the other hand a lot of times your pet is running on passive and the damage coming out out of the hunter is much more important.

Giving readiness a focus regen is doubtful to make BM players jump ship to MM in their setup. (That's just my opinion.)

I could live with 50 focus returned on Readiness, since much more would make it too easy to go over our limit and just be wasted. Plus with just getting 50 focus, it would be hard to call that overpowered, since we are burning a major CD to get it.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Hunter

You're mistaken. 50 Focus on a 3 minute cooldown is a drop in the bucket.

Obviously with the focus cost of abilities it doesn't offer so much aid, but should Readiness claim that effect, what would BM Hunters have? Blizzard doesn't really like sharing talent effects with trees of the same class. It isn't optimal, but it is something.

Playing BM and playing Marks is different. BM is much much more about tunneling your damage and keeping you pet leaning on the target. I don't think marks can replace BM in the setups that BM is most effective in. With MM on the other hand a lot of times your pet is running on passive and the damage coming out out of the hunter is much more important.

Giving readiness a focus regen is doubtful to make BM players jump ship to MM in their setup. (That's just my opinion.)

I could live with 50 focus returned on Readiness, since much more would make it too easy to go over our limit and just be wasted. Plus with just getting 50 focus, it would be hard to call that overpowered, since we are burning a major CD to get it.

I am more in agreement rather than in opposition with the discussion. With the lack of useful talents BM was mainly the same as a zoo handler in PvP. I am not talking about the feel or focus of the spec, but it's viability. (Which I do know that BM currently has more than MM as far as PvP). Hunters are currently a mess.

Say Readiness did get the effects that Fervor has now... would that improve them? What would BM get to replace Fervor? 50 Focus is like one extra shot, a bit useless for the cost of a tp imo. However I do somewhat agree that Readiness should mean a sudden increase in resource as well as revmoe cds. I would also agree that Fervor (1. great intensity of feeling or belief; ardour; zeal 2. rare intense heat) doesn't seem to be an instant resource regen.

I had always seen Marksmen to be the burst/finisher spec (with all the different shots they get), BM to be the consistent/ white damage spec (We don't have enough attacks for being a true burst spec and our pets mainly deal white damage.). I do not know why the talents seem to try to state the opposite. It feels like some of the talents need to be swapped. SV now feels like a subtlety mage, though I rarely touch SV as I never liked the spec.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I see marks the same way. Burst finisher.
Reply Quote
3 Night Elf Priest
Yah it irritated the hell out of me as well.. Yah I can use readiness but my Chimera was pretty much off CD anyway since I had to get the focus to use chimera the second time from readiness. Not sure if that made sense but oh well :) DKs have the refresh all rune talent which gives Runic Power as well. I had always felt when testing MM that readiness should be more than a rapid fire reset because that's all it is currently. It's not there to refresh Chimera because you won't have the focus to cast it anyway before it's off its normal CD.

Sadly the MM hunters in beta are a thing of the past. I would say a good 90% of the hunter beta community are raiding as BM or Survival. The 10% that are raiding as MM are probably doing tests and running numbers on certain abilities. I have yet to run into a MM hunter in PVP for about a month and a half now.
Reply Quote
47 Dwarf Hunter
readiness is mainly for abilities that don't have a focus cost, but I think you have a good point

how bad would it be to make an MM talent that lets readiness restore some focus?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Readiness shout restore focus to 100% tbh. :\
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
Readiness should work like the DK's Empower Runic Weapon. Reset our CDs and add a little bit of Focus, no more than 50.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
lol yeah

Kinda hard to call oneself ready, with no focus.

Edited by Treivaran on 11/18/2010 7:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Readiness should work like the DK's Empower Runic Weapon. Reset our CDs and add a little bit of Focus, no more than 50.

What do you think about Readiness making your next special shot/ability cost 0 focus as opposed to granting focus? This would allow us to be "ready" and wouldn't encroach on BM's Fervor.
Reply Quote
It is only logical that readiness reset focus to full (yes 100, not 50). This is the only way readiness is going to be as effective as it used to be.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]