How to fight standing in fire with fire

Wouldn't it be nice if the healer had a buff he could place on someone who was standing in fire... let the buff provide a small damage shield to give the poor shmuck time to leave the fire, but if said schmuck insists on dying in fire (he just likes standing there, and moving might lower his dps) the buff is now "charged." Now the healer can place a buff on a different target group or raid member to give a bonus to that member's damage. The damage bonus should be inversely related to how much effective healing the died-in-fire corpse took in the last 10 seconds or so.

In other words... i can let "Bad DPS" die in fire without killing group dps. I still have to take an action on par with healing his DIAF butt, but if he chooses to immolate himself I can give good dps a serious dps boost. The "Smart DPS' " numbers look good (so he's happy - he wants to stay out of fire and lead meters), "Bad DPS" gets a short dirt nap and can contemplate why you shouldn't be standing in fire, and the group doesn't wipe from one idiot.

Sorry in advance for lightly impinging on Disc Priests PW:Shield... i want some version of this buff in every healer's tool-kit.

Cheers
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
really?

the game isn't easy enough?

this is kind of sad.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I think the complete loss of DPS time and ensuing period of inactivity is a fairly effective way of handling fire-standers. Just wait for the next BQL/Gruul-type fight and those same fire standers will be yelled at and possibly kicked once they blow up a healer a few too many times.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Not to worry, priests are getting a new ability in Cata that will heal this kind of stupid -- Leap of faith. Assuming it doesn't get nerfed because of its griefing potential, of course (it needs a cast time, even 0.5 seconds to stop people from pulling others off cliffs).
Reply Quote
83 Night Elf Druid
I don't think we need a damn thing. I run a tight ship on my runs. If you die because you're being retarded (aka standing in fire) then I make them wait to be res'd...so if I need to drink then I'll drink. If I need to organize my loot, I'll organize my loot. Should I need to make some potions for an upcoming fight then I certainly will. If he/she is dissatisfied with the lesson and promptly says "rez plox", while I drink I kindly tell them to march their own ass back.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I would have to agree with above. If one dps is being a tard and standing in fire they should die. They should learn to move rather then making an ability to make up for their retardness/lazyness. We want encounters where these failbots are going to stand out so we can weed them out of the raid !
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
pretty much. the other thing ppl don't die to literally standing in fire.

Have you healed the Flamelash event yet? Morons are literally standing in the fire to loot the boss. I can forgive some of the people that do it during the fight, it might be the first time they've been here, slow reaction time, whatever - but to stand in the flames, watching your green bar go down, to loot an event boss?

From what I've seen (stand in the fire, don't evade the ice spikes, pull the boss to the bridge so we can get blasted into the water) I don't think I'll ever complete a PuG in a Cataclysm instance but it is going to be a riot watching people find new ways to die.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Have you healed the Flamelash event yet? Morons are literally standing in the fire to loot the boss. I can forgive some of the people that do it during the fight, it might be the first time they've been here, slow reaction time, whatever - but to stand in the flames, watching your green bar go down, to loot an event boss?

My first time against Flamelash I was like 'Why is that Rogue dying so fa- Wait is he literally standing in the damned fire?!'. Sadly, I am still unable to purposefully let people die.
Reply Quote
I think the complete loss of DPS time and ensuing period of inactivity is a fairly effective way of handling fire-standers. Just wait for the next BQL/Gruul-type fight and those same fire standers will be yelled at and possibly kicked once they blow up a healer a few too many times.

Nothing more frustrating than to see 1/3 of your raid die during a Shatter on Gruul.
Reply Quote
Not to worry, priests are getting a new ability in Cata that will heal this kind of stupid -- Leap of faith. Assuming it doesn't get nerfed because of its griefing potential, of course (it needs a cast time, even 0.5 seconds to stop people from pulling others off cliffs).

Pulling ppl off cliffs...that's going to be fun.

I really miss the days when I could summon people off cliffs with my warlock!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Nothing more frustrating than to see 1/3 of your raid die during a Shatter on Gruul.

Back in the day, yup. I both healed and DPSed that fight. DPS was ALWAYS blowing the healers up. It sucked. BQL isn't as bad, but I lost a few people on that fight too. Because getting away from someone is hard, I know.
Reply Quote

Back in the day, yup. I both healed and DPSed that fight. DPS was ALWAYS blowing the healers up. It sucked. BQL isn't as bad, but I lost a few people on that fight too. Because getting away from someone is hard, I know.

I tanked it and there were some MDPS that would give me fits. As I flew back in the air I had a macro to switch stance adn intercept back in. I would switch stances again but every now and then a Melee dps thought it would be a good idea to run right next too me. It was sometimes bareable because I didn't always die...they always did.
Reply Quote
I would rather get a spell that can instantly kill people who are standing in the avoidable damage. It would save mana.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I would rather get a spell that can instantly kill people who are standing in the avoidable damage. It would save mana.

Oooo.....me rikey!
Reply Quote

Redesign Leap of Faith to: Pulls the target to you and instantly kills them, re-spawning them in a Spirit of Redemption form, effectively putting them in the healer's shoes for a few seconds so they realize how annoying it is to heal them through avoidable damage.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

My first time against Flamelash I was like 'Why is that Rogue dying so fa- Wait is he literally standing in the damned fire?!'. Sadly, I am still unable to purposefully let people die.

This. My first time healing it, we had a full melee group, and everyone stood in the fire without moving at all during the fight. Not surprisingly, everyone in melee died. By some miracle, I was left alive at the end even though we didn't get Flamelash down. After I rezzed folks, everyone promptly left the group. I mean really, they expect to faceroll a new instance and just give up when they can't because they were standing in fire? Have they heard nothing about what things will be like in Cata? Sigh.

After that, I took to explaining every event boss fight as soon as we zoned in. I didn't even ask whether people knew it. I've had no problems since.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
The 'life grip' ability that holy priests have is just one of the reasons I prefer not to play my priest. I don't want to encourage bad player behavior. I wonder if bad dps will say to holy priests: "Omg n00b y no liIfe gr!p?!?!' when they stand in the fire and die.

anyways OP, it's been mentioned before, that ability would eventually be abused.

that's what it should be :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The 'life grip' ability that holy priests have is just one of the reasons I prefer not to play my priest. I don't want to encourage bad player behavior. I wonder if bad dps will say to holy priests: "Omg n00b y no liIfe gr!p?!?!' when they stand in the fire and die.

I imagine it will be more like

"OMG y u life grip i was dpsin!"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]