Priest or Paladin?

27 Undead Rogue
Some friends are going to create some new characters for Cata to see the new content. I volunteered to create a healer, but want to be able to dual spec for DPS later as well. (I've already got a druid and a dk that I can use for tanking).

So would you choose Priest or Paladin, and why?

Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Some friends are going to create some new characters for Cata to see the new content. I volunteered to create a healer, but want to be able to dual spec for DPS later as well. (I've already got a druid and a dk that I can use for tanking).

So would you choose Priest or Paladin, and why?

Paladin for heals. Right now Paladins have great synergy in the tree, are srtong and efficient. Priests (both specs) have little synergy in the talents and are full of band-aid fixes (like a 24% grace and aegis on PoH)

DPS, priest is better. Shadow has good damage and great utility. I personally find ret kind of boring
Reply Quote
27 Undead Rogue
Thanks, Terrel. That's how I see it as well.

I guess I need to figure out what's more important for end game, good healing or dps. I've been disappointed to hear that priest healing and their respective talent trees have been lackluster at best. It's strange that priests wouldn't make good healers... :)
Reply Quote
83 Undead Priest
Well seeing how pallys are and always will be OP. I would say it would be safe to say them.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
We make great healers!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
It's worth noting that Priests can more easily gear for their DPS spec as they get a talent that converts 100% of spirit from items into hit.
Reply Quote
83 Undead Priest
It sounds better then it really is. Sure you don't have to worry about hit but you go so far over the cap it ends up being a dead start more then anything.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Take this with a grain of salt; my priest isn't 80. However, she's leveled almost exclusively through the dungeon finder as a healer, both holy and disc. My main is druid raid heals.

I must disagree about the talent tree synergy. I find it to be particularly strong as disc moreso than holy, but that might be due to the fact that I've played more as disc than holy in the later levels because holy is simply too mana inefficient even when choosing the most efficient spells (but that's a discussion for another thread.)

At least the way I heal disc, I find the tree to have tremendous synergy. First thing, I put Prayer of Mending on the tank. I let the tank get hit, knowing that he's gonna be healed by PoM and have it jump to a DPS who might take damage. Then I let his health dip a bit. Then I pop my shield, and heal him to full using Heal. I'm talented to ensure that heal reduces the time on Weakened Soul by 4 seconds, allowing me to shield the tank again as soon as the current shield goes down. I get the benefit from grace on the tank, and can instant-heal DPS very mana efficiently by just popping shields on them as needed (a talent to restore mana whenever a shield is dispelled or used up). Penance gets to be saved as a panic button, and the smite healing mechanic can be kept on as a top off for the tank or any melee DPS that need a little healing. While I don't fit Archangel and Evangelism into my current disc healing tree, I can see it at 85 - healing is just too spammy nowadays.

I can't speak to the synergy of priest healing in raids, but it strikes me that disc will continue to have this wonderful synergy even when working with another healer. That said, Paladin heals are fun too, and quite powerful. If I were you, I'd look at what healing classes the rest of your guild will play and factor that into my choice. For instance, if you already have one paladin healer, I'd urge you toward something more geared for raid heals. Three paladins could certainly heal a raid, but not as effectively as a paladin, a druid, and a shaman.

Speaking of shaman, are you considering shaman at all as your healing/DPS class? I'd also encourage you not to write off druids as a healer/DPS class. Both are very fun, and druids in particular are quite different once you move away from feral.
Reply Quote
Paladin's a better healer, Priest's a better DPS, Paladin's able to tank, Priest's able to pick between healing trees and save on gear.

You really can't go wrong, I view these classes as equals in PvE, and not just from a healing standpoint. My favorite healing style for PvE is the Holy Priest and my favorite PvP style is Discipline. Holy Paladin is my ultimate choice however because I hate Discipline PvE and Holy PvP... lol.

Then again, i leveled one for shadow and one for protection so I don't know how I would decide for healers.
Reply Quote
It sounds better then it really is. Sure you don't have to worry about hit but you go so far over the cap it ends up being a dead start more then anything.

My 71 priest has a 13% chance to hit, giving a 100% chance to hit mobs 72 and lower. 74 and above he still has a chance to miss, and you can enter dungeons that have orange mobs while leveling, very easily.

It's actually as great as it sounds because that means one set of gear takes care of everything, and you really don't want to build two sets while leveling. Well, you can, and I did for my shaman, but I wouldn't do it again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Priests are rather good with a large toolbox and are extremely flexible, with two healing specs that give you a choice of playstyle. Priests will likely be buffed by the time the first arena/rated battleground season ends due to low representation: Partially because they're 'underpowered', partially because in the first season no one will have much resilience. By the end of Cataclysm, I'd expect priests to be a very strong player.

Holy paladins are a sinking ship. They have a smaller toolbox and while they may be currently overpowered in PVP, and they will probably be overly successful in the first season of arena/rated battlegrounds due to screwy talents like PotI and having plate when no one has resilience. Holy Paladins will be nerfed harshly, likely overnerfed. The nerfs will be detrimental to both PVP and PVE, possibly crippling paladins for PVE because of PVP. After representation in PVP and PVE drops and srsguilds bench their healadins, holy paladins will get a bandaid or two. They'll make holy paladins tolerable but not fix the major weaknesses.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I would rate Paladin healing higher atm. Paladins have much better mana regen as well as better talent synergy. Priests just feel extremely weak by comparison especially in pvp.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
On the contrary, there is no need to take more spirit than will give you 17% hit. If you use the same set for healing, sure you will have excess hit, but you don't need to do that.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Currently holy paladins are kinda gimped. The other healing classes and raid heal and in some cases tank heal better than us. I'm talking about the current set up at 80. But In theory we are supposed to be back on par at 85. Although this is just speculation based on beta and assumed talent/spell potential.

I plan on sticking with my pally and waiting out this current collision with the nerf truck. I'm hoping the surgeons at the hospital have a new surgery that can fix us up. Or else I fear many holy paladins losing their raid spots in serious raiding guilds.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Have both, and both are perfectly good healers. For running around leveling as a group, a priest might work out better since its a lot easier to dps decently as a holy or disc priest when you don't need to make green numbers than it is as a holy pali.

On the pali's side, you have some quite interesting tools that don't fit the healer stereotype, you can taunt mobs, bubble people, and stun enemies, as well as melee'ing for looks.

At end game, its a bit reversed, you often get the feeling as a priest that class design is a bunch of people sitting around thinking, "omg what the heck are we supposed to do with THIS." whereas with the pali, as much as they goof around with the class, you get the feeling that there will be no fights in the game where a pali can not heal the tank(s) but some other class can. Third rail of wowdesign, pali's shall be able to heal tanks!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]