Are you playing your hunter in Cata?

85 Night Elf Hunter
Except the good things to come never happen to two classes:

Hunters and Shamans (both of which are my two favorite classes, yes, I am a glutton for punishment, but running as a Resto Shaman while leveling via LFD is a cakewalk).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I have 6 80s (Hunter, Priest, Warrior, DK, Shaman, and Mage) and I want to level a goblin at some point to 85, so I have options.

That said, my favorite class is (was?) hunter and it has been my main for most of my WoW life.

So, I have to answer: Reply hazy, ask again later.
Edited by Assuran on 11/18/2010 11:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
I've stuck it out with hunters since Vanilla Beta, when they were the last class introduced. Through all the buffs, nerfs, bugs and everything in between, hunters at least maintained their fun, even when the class wasn't the most effective one out there. When something is fun, you have a tendency to overlook a lot of the shortcomings of the class. Be it effectiveness in PvP, competitiveness in PvE or any other area, that fun makes you log on, keep playing and hope things come around. That fun made me champion this class and stick it out.

But not anymore. Like a puppy under a dump truck, hunters have had all the fun squished right out of them. And when the fun leaves, the shortcomings of the class are put under a 10,000 watt spotlight, and holy hell on a cracker, is it just ugly. And this has NOTHING to do with big numbers or effectiveness. Pressing buttons with this class is just agonizing. It feels like a constant tug of war with shots, resources, cool downs, pets and situational awareness. This is just not fun at all. Its clear to me that simply bolting on Focus was a very bad idea. In order to make this work, Hunters would need a complete redesign from the ground up to make this work seamlessly, and even if that does come, it wont be done for years.

My resource system, called patience, is all out.

Just food for thought, I was asking myself this question the other day: What if hunters were introduced like this? Would you have rolled one? Simply put, if hunters had played like this from the get go, I would have NEVER rolled this class. The only motivation for me to keep this character going at all is due to mounts, professions, achievements, rare pets and nostalgia.

Now ask yourself that same question.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
I've stuck it out with hunters since Vanilla Beta, when they were the last class introduced. Through all the buffs, nerfs, bugs and everything in between, hunters at least maintained their fun, even when the class wasn't the most effective one out there. When something is fun, you have a tendency to overlook a lot of the shortcomings of the class. Be it effectiveness in PvP, competitiveness in PvE or any other area, that fun makes you log on, keep playing and hope things come around. That fun made me champion this class and stick it out.

But not anymore. Like a puppy under a dump truck, hunters have had all the fun squished right out of them. And when the fun leaves, the shortcomings of the class are put under a 10,000 watt spotlight, and holy hell on a cracker, is it just ugly. And this has NOTHING to do with big numbers or effectiveness. Pressing buttons with this class is just agonizing. It feels like a constant tug of war with shots, resources, cool downs, pets and situational awareness. This is just not fun at all. Its clear to me that simply bolting on Focus was a very bad idea. In order to make this work, Hunters would need a complete redesign from the ground up to make this work seamlessly, and even if that does come, it wont be done for years.

My resource system, called patience, is all out.

Just food for thought, I was asking myself this question the other day: What if hunters were introduced like this? Would you have rolled one? Simply put, if hunters had played like this from the get go, I would have NEVER rolled this class. The only motivation for me to keep this character going at all is due to mounts, professions, achievements, rare pets and nostalgia.

Wow, this hits it right on the head.

I'm in the same boat with you. In January, I will have been playing my Hunter for 6 years. I honestly thought that with the change to Focus, Blizzard would use this opportunity to redesign the class and eliminate the clunky mechanics that the Hunter class has been plagued with for years. Unfortunately they didn't and the end result is Focus feeling like it's been "bolted" on Hunters the same way Mana was "bolted" on Hunters shortly before release.

I'm probably going to level my class to 85 and if things aren't fixed by then, I'm probably going to throw in the towel. The other day I watched a video of the Demon Hunter class from Diablo 3 and thought "this is what Hunters are supposed to be". And I can't help but feel that the class I love has always been an afterthought of Blizzard. So it could be the my time with WoW is finally done. Hopefully in Blizzard's next MMORPG, they offer a true ranged physical DPS class that would be built without the design limitations that they've put on Hunters.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Yes- I will be playing my Hunter in PVP RBG's not Arena.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

Wow
I hated asking myself that question because I knew the answer when I read your post.

Launch day hunter and my main since 04. I will still level him, but will be swapping rest xp with another toon (probably my druid)

Leveling will be easy, and even with bad mechanics the new content should be fun.

What sucks though, is that BGs have always been my favorite form of pvp in the past. I was excited about new rated bgs. Given how hunters play in a pvp environment, I am no longer looking forward to that aspect of the game.

And I am very glad this guy is on a pve server.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
My hunter was my first toon, but every time I log on to him I get this intense sadness. I wind up not logging into the game for ~2 days. My lock will be my main in Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
You know, as much as the problems are for Hunters right now, and the gripes I've been reading, I have not had more fun with my Hunter than when they changed it to Focus.

Probably because I do like how a resource comes back and is infinite in it's own way, but mostly because to me, it just feels a lot smoother. I've been having a hard time choosing my hunter vs my warrior currently. I enjoy both greatly right now.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Hunter
I've had this hunter back in patch 1.9 I am not gonna give up, he will always be my main. But to be fair, I have a Prot Paladin up and coming in preparation for any tanking needs. I will not be PVPing heavially, as its pointless for a hunter to do so when everyone and their brother counters us. [Atleast IMO]
Reply Quote
82 Dwarf Paladin
I'm jumping ON the ship. Instead of simply using my hunter alt as a main, I'll be rolling a new one to experience the new 1-60 content and re-learn the class. Rather enjoy the new Focus system too; just wish we could get a trap-launcher that isn't as broke as Wimpy after Tuesday.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
no way , am seriously considering deleting my hunter lvl 80 ,my first toon not worth it
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]