Affliction, Interesting find.

85 Orc Warlock
So after much debate I decided to play a warlock for Cataclysm instead of my long time character, a rogue. While Destro is fun and definetly more involving than it used to be, I prefer affliction, it's just more fun for me. I also run a lot of rotations on the dummies to keep from getting rusty during the downtime between now and cata.
Tonight for whatever reason while doing just that I thought, my imp as destro hit a lot harder than my succy does, why not drop my succy glyph for imp. firebolt glyph, move 2 points from bane into dark arts and give it a whirl with my imp instead. Might net me a few more dps, might not. In my gear which isn't the best I usally do around 8500 dps consistantly while alone on the dummy with a succubus. I was very surprised to find with my imp I was doing 9000 or more dps consistantly. I tested 5 times at 5 minute intervals to rule out rng, and sure enough it was a 500-600 dps increase every time when using an imp.
So I'd like to see a few more solid aff. locks give this a try and see if they are getting the same results as I did and post their feedback. Any dps gain we can eek out helps right?
Edited by Vishna on 11/18/2010 4:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
Have you tried using the felhunter?You're dps might improve even more as his damage is greatly boosted by dots with the use of Shadow bite.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Have you tried using the felhunter?You're dps might improve even more as his damage is greatly boosted by dots with the use of Shadow bite.

I have not, but it is generally accepted that the succubus is the way to go. However you could use fel hunter with this spec, and maybe switch out the imp. firebolt glyph for corruption. I'll test it.

Edit: Tested fel hunter, dps loss. Not really a surprise since most warlock resources mention as much.
Edited by Vishna on 11/18/2010 4:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage
Yeah it's been pretty well proven that after 4.0 the imp is really doing well for all specs. Funny there's been threads ridiculing people who use Imp as Aff too.

Felpup seems to be the lowest of the 3 DPS pets right now, which is kind of a shame but makes sense since he brings a lot more utility than imp and succ.

I'll test it tonight and post results.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage
Imp tested 200 DPS lower than Succ but I didn't spec into dark arts. Felpup was pretty far behind.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Imp tested 200 DPS lower than Succ but I didn't spec into dark arts. Felpup was pretty far behind.

Replace your lash of pain glyph with glyph of imp and put 2 points in Dark Arts, 3 in Shadow and Flame. Pretty large dps increase for me. My Imps firebolts are 1.55 seconds and critting for 4000-4200.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage

Replace your lash of pain glyph with glyph of imp and put 2 points in Dark Arts, 3 in Shadow and Flame. Pretty large dps increase for me. My Imps firebolts are 1.55 seconds and critting for 4000-4200.

Yea I was using Glyph of Imp for Imp test and Lash glyph for Succ. I didn't feel like respeccing right now but yea I can tell it's gonna be a DPS increase if I do.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
Imp will do more than succy if you pick up Dark Arts, but your damage will be higher overall if you ignore Dark Arts and use the glyphed Succy. At 85 you will want to use Felhunter for its Demon Soul effect.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Taking points out of bane is a very bad idea, and will result in you doing less dps overall, even if your imp is doing a bit more than your succy was

but drain life > shadowbolt amirite!?!?

no really ^^ dark arts is not for aff, and until they fix destro only 2 points for destro.
Reply Quote
56 Undead Death Knight
Here's the thing. At 85, Dark arts, and the awesome felhunter demon soul ability makes felhunter much better than imp for affliction. 20% increased damage on all of your dots for 20 seconds every 2 minutes. So while testing this stuff now is fine, it kind of goes out the window once cata hits and we get to 85.
Edited by Hannibel on 11/18/2010 6:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
The imp pulls more than the Succubus, if you glyph for the imp and put some points in Dark Arts. As it is right now, Drain Life is the filler spell because you cannot get all the points you need in the shadowbolt specs. So, for 80, you should be rocking an Imp and spamming the hell out of Drain Life, keeping up the shadow debuff as needed. NF procs make it easier. That's what I did last night in a 25 H-ICC. Topped every meter with other people equally geared.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
The imp pulls more than the Succubus, if you glyph for the imp and put some points in Dark Arts. As it is right now, Drain Life is the filler spell because you cannot get all the points you need in the shadowbolt specs. So, for 80, you should be rocking an Imp and spamming the hell out of Drain Life, keeping up the shadow debuff as needed. NF procs make it easier. That's what I did last night in a 25 H-ICC. Topped every meter with other people equally geared.

So you're saying that with my spec, I would pull more DPS doing:

CoE > SB > Haunt > UA > BoA > NMIC > Corr > Spam DL (Refresh Dots)

rather than...

CoE > SB > Haunt > UA > BoA > NMIC > Corr > Spam SB (Refresh Dots)

???

Or did I miss the boat and screw up my spec by not taking Shadow and Flame?
Edited by Psylocis on 11/18/2010 6:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warlock

rather than...

???
Not with your spec. The idea behind Drain Life spam is you take the points out of bane and put some into Dark Arts, then glyph the Imp, for an ultimate DPS gain. You don't just take your Shadow Bolt centric Aff build and spam DL instead and expect a DPS gain.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock

rather than...

???
Not with your spec. The idea behind Drain Life spam is you take the points out of bane and put some into Dark Arts, then glyph the Imp, for an ultimate DPS gain. You don't just take your Shadow Bolt centric Aff build and spam DL instead and expect a DPS gain.

Ok, so its not that the DL is gaining any kind of DPS boost anywhere, its just that my SB loses cast time, therefor DL is the better option?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock

rather than...

???

Ok, so its not that the DL is gaining any kind of DPS boost anywhere, its just that my SB loses cast time, therefor DL is the better option?

Exactly.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock

rather than...

???

Exactly.

Tyvm =)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Also, NMIC doesn't let Corruption roll with crit anymore. Consider Abyssal Rune from regular TOC (5 man) as an upgrade.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]