Wishlist for fresh level 80 holy priest

85 Human Priest
I hit 80 not too long ago, so I do not have infinite mana pool like many holy priests in higher gear levels do. However, I do not have any problem keeping people up with the wide variety of tools available to me. The problem however is with fast casting *cheap* small heal type of spell. I would really love a flash heal version of heal.

Usually in heroics and even sometimes in raid, people are not taking enough damage to warrant prayer of healing or the damage isn't going out to whole party to warrant any kind of aoe heal and I would like save the cooldown for circle of healing for fast heal on high aoe damage. I would love to use heal on those affected people but then the tank goes down too low so that I have to start using expensive spells and many cooldowns on a phase of fight that doesn't really require expensive spells. Since I am fresh level 80 I do get put in with undergeared tanks (which is completely fine by me).

Priests in higher tier gear don't experience this problem because their mana pool is twice the size of my mana pool and their regen rate is much higher. So they can afford to use expensive spells without many risks of going oom. I expect to be flamed for this part lol.

So is it too much to ask for some changes to flash heal or Heal?
For example, reduce the cast time of Heal and either reduce the base healing done by it or increase the mana cost.

OR

Reduce both mana and healing throughput of flash heal. Giving inexpensive fast casting small heal for lower tiered people who don't really get to raid much.

TLDR: Can we please get an inexpensive fast casting small heal?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
If they are taking damage consistently, PoM would be ideal. If they are not, use renew.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
If they are taking damage consistently, PoM would be ideal. If they are not, use renew.

Well my post was mainly about dps who consistently stands in bad stuff or there is a dot on the dps. For example, I had a mage who didn't move one inch in toc5 when the rogue boss put vial of poison right underneath him. At this point renew won't really keep up with the dot because of my gear level. Same concept with some DoT abilities of the boss such as the mirror ability of last boss in H FoS.

As much as I wish for perfect world, its not gonna happen. We will always have people who have worse situational awareness and as a healer I always get yelled at even when the said dps gets too low on health.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I do appreciate what you are saying, but a weak fast heal isn't really going to do any better than a talented renew in those cases (esp. with Divine Touch). Especially when dealing with a dot mechanic -- using both PoM on cooldown on the tank and a renew on the dotted target are excellent for throughput here. I have in the past gotten caught a few times in the past on undergeared tanks where all your globals are being used on single target healing casts -- it's a strategy that will ultimately fail -- you want to break that cast cycle as soon as you see a hole to get renew/pom up.

Also, don't ever accept the blame for the failure of others, but accept your own quickly and openly.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
The simple answer here, and I'm not being snarky is to prioritize your heals. When you don't have the mana to cover the tank and the dps, the tank wins.

If the rogue stands in the poison, toss him a ProM/renew and if he stands there and dies, it's not your fault. You have taught him a valuable lesson and done all you can.

At your current level of gear you are well equipped to heal even a horribly undergeared tank but you aren't equipped to heal stupid. To be honest even in the gear I am in, healing stupid still isn't possible in many cases.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Do what the rest of us priests do and play discipline until you're geared for holy.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
Holy priests dont have infinite mana at any gear level. This is the exception among every healer at level 80.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Take Heal off of your bar until Cataclysm, it's useless in the Wrath model. If you still find that Flash Heal / Renew / PoM aren't able to compensate for incoming damage, consider playing Discipline until your gear makes Holy workable again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]