How to be a Resto Shaman - MoP - Late Content

100 Draenei Shaman
Several people have told me that I am one of the better shaman healers that they have seen. I am always out healing people who are a higher ilvl then myself, other then a blanketing disc priest.

I will tell you now that I do not follow the Noxxic guide to shamans. Yes it is a great way to start, but after a point you have to do what you think is better.

I no longer gem for spirit. If I have the chance with new gear, I make sure that none of the gems have spirit on it. I do make sure that every piece of gear does contain spirit, even if I have to reforge for it (two pieces of my gear). I no longer enchant for spirit either.

The two main stats that I go after for gems and enchants are intellect and haste. I ignore crit because it is granted by intellect and spell power is more important. I say this because all crit gives you is a chance to grant additional healing but spell power guarantees the additional healing. I do keep 50% mastery. As for the haste, it reduces your global cd as well as grants additional ticks to you HoTs.

My rotations are as follows.

Primary 1 - Earth Living Weapon, water shield and Earthshield on tank.

Primary 2 - Healing stream totem on cd, followed by healing rain on cd, and Mana Tide right after the second Healing Stream despawns and then on cd (Helps Keep other healers from running out of mana). Healing Tide as needed. Should be dropped just short of a bosses raid damaging attack, not as a save every one if possible.

Primary 3 - Fire Elemental Totem on cd (with glyph), followed by Earth Elemental totem on cd. You may decide to pick and choose on boss fights with a set period of raid damage.

Primary 4 - Riptide try to keep on tanks at all times and when ever some one is taking damage. This is very important as it really helps with keeping people healed as well as it is stack-able with Ascendance. Your initial heals from it may not be that big (with glyph) to be spread around the entire raid, but the riptide ticks (which is not spread around the raid) will continue healing after the cast with no cd. It also shortens the time it takes to cast healing wave and greater healing wave.

With the above rotation, it should not be necessary to cast direct heals very often. When you do have to save some one from dieing, you should already have the buff from riptide up at all times, so you cast a Healing Wave followed by a Greater Healing Wave, but only if necessary. You may even want to use Ancestral Swiftness followed by greater healing wave if you want, but I try to save it for a save during Ascendance or when casting chain heal.

I absolutely do not cast Healing Surge as it is a complete waste of mana.

With this way of healing, as well as the way to stack Intellect, Spirit and Haste, you should never run out of mana, as well as you should be near top heals if not top. Remember that healing is all about timing and not just doing everything that a guide gives you, so feel free to change as necessary.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
After taking a look at your gear it seems that most of the time you spend in raiding is either in lfr or Flex. (not that there is anything wrong with that). From your rotation it also seems like you run with a relatively high number of healers or a large group.

Once you get into the higher scale raids (Normal and Heroic) simply using this rotation won't cut it. Take for instance heroic Thok or Heroic Dark shamans where on average the raid damage has phases that periodically spike to 1 million + raid dmg taken per second. These spikes can occur as frequently as every 1.5-3 seconds (in high stack phases of thok) or even higher dtps spikes on Dark shaman when the falling ashe hits.

While I agree that Noxxic and Icy Veins are great initial resources and that they can help guide people but arent necessarily the end all be all source. There is something else that healers need to focus on (which you touched on slightly)... using raid cd's properly. Coupling unleashed elements with healing rain, or finding ways to use conductivity to improve the effectiveness of your cds such as ascendance or primal elementalist are great ways to improve your overall throughput.

TL;DR version: As you get into normal and heroic raids dmg ramps up and this rotation wont be able to keep up alone. Using cooldowns properly is what will ensure raid survival. Simply blanketing a raid blindly with riptide is not an effective way of being a reactive healer (which is what shamans are). If you like the hotting style you might try druid as it will allow for even more utility.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
@ Lífe

You have to start some where. Depending on your gear, it doesn't matter if you are in raid finder, flex, regular or heroic. The difficulty is the same. There is no doubt that raid finder is easier then flex and flex is easier then reg as well as reg is easier then heroic. But you wouldn't be doing reg in raid finder gear only, you should also have some gear from flex as well. And you wouldn't be doing Heroic in flex gear, you would need to have some reg gear too.

Granted, I may not have done much of reg, but I have downed Thok, and made attempts on Seigecrafter with my guild. Just because I didn't have luck with the rolls and coins doesn't mean that I am inadequate.

Also, my guild only three heals Malrock, Thok and so far our attempts on Siegecrafter. All others are two healed.

As for it is easier healing in flex and raid finder, I agree, but against other healers, I remain top heals as well as in reg, so it would have to be concluded that I am doing something right.
Edited by Riaka on 11/25/2013 1:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My post was simply to bring up that being "top heals" is not necessarily the right way to look at it. When looking at healing meters its one thing to see that someone healed the amount before everyone else. Its another thing to see how effectively someone healed that amount.

Riptide Inefficiency
By using riptide on every person that takes damage you are effectively reducing the total amount healed per the amount of mana spent. By coordinating with your group on having them stand in certain positions and understanding fight mechanics you can pre-emptively cast a chain heal in the location that a fire went out effectively healing all 3 of those people up instantaneously rather than having the time delay in the amount healed with your riptide. Not to mention that by using riptide like this you are also effectively saying that there is no reason to worry about the tidal waves buff that you get to your abilities.

Cooldown usage and damage intake
I might just not have read your rotation properly or perhaps you were a little too vague on what spells you actually cast when damage goes out. However, this post leads people to believe that one of the shamans lowest HPS/and HPM moves is stronger than coupling together two or three other abilities to use for very strong and very quick topping off of the raid.

Take for example player A) quickest reaction times in the world: Only ever takes one tick of raid damage per ability. On average he will likely not need to have a heal very often and it is totally acceptable to not waste mana to heal him up. Player B) on the other hand has very poor reaction times or a slow internet that occasionally lags: He takes 2-3 ticks of the raids dmg per ability. With this if there are 2 abilities back to back by only using riptide rotation you are saying that you will never ever use healing surge to bring him up. In the event that this happens riptide will have ticked 3 times for (at your ilvl) roughly 60k+ healing. If the damage is proportionate to your gear he has then dropped to about 40% life on average over the course of your healing done as people have about 500k life with your gear level. If he takes another major raid wide ability, say dark shamans falling ashe or galakras orb then it will effectively have killed the player before you could top him off and your healing would not have been enough in this rotation. (arguments can be made that you use other abilities, however they were not specified above)

Proportionate damage
My point about LFR and flex is simply that in LFR especially raid mechanics do far far less proportionate damage to gear scale than in normal and heroic. In heroic level gear I am sitting at around 42.5k spellpower unbuffed. In ilvl 542 gear you are sitting at 38k spellpower unbuffed. In terms of % you are at 89% of my gear's stats just taking into account spellpower (im assuming you are properly itemized in terms of haste breakpoints etc).

Heroic Dark Shamans 10 falling ashe: 450k fire damage to all players, 999k (instakill if you dont move)
Flex Dark Shaman 10 Falling ashe: 210k fire damage to all players, 999k (instakill if you dont move)

This is a difference of 46% proportionate damage.

What this means: If you have 89% of the gear that I have to heal 46% of the damage that I have to heal, then you can use spells that might not be as efficient as others and still manage to keep up with the damage being dealt. If the damage scaled proportionately then flex raiding would be doing a little less than double the damage it is doing right now scaling. That is why you can get away with using this rotation that is not the highest reactive healing rotation, but might be able to keep up in terms of "meter healing"
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Riptide is just one of the spells that a shaman has as a HoT. It also takes very little mana. It is best to use all of your HoTs together that affect the entire raid rather then 1 spell that takes the same amount of mana, or in healing surges case, twice the amount of mana for just one person.

As for direct casts, they are substantially weaker then any other healing classes. So it is best to be smart and conserve your mana and try not to cast direct heals unnecessarily.

With about 13k mana regen, your mana doesn't deplete with the way that I heal and when you do have to direct cast your heals, via healing wave, greater healing wave and chain heal, you do have the mana to use on it and not have to worry about running out anytime soon.

You can learn more about it at

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4015354204?page=6#105
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

Healing surge has it's place. Good on fights like spoils if you don't get the MW'er buff.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
11/25/2013 04:08 AMPosted by Harpoa

Healing surge has it's place. Good on fights like spoils if you don't get the MW'er buff.

The way that I heal and have my stats set up, especially with stacking haste, the cast time of greater healing wave is actually faster then healing surge.

I have healed reg spoils, and it is an easy healing boss as all your actually fighting is trash. The only time that I have found to have an issue is when people just stand around instead of going to the corner to drop the bombs and when we were training a new tank that will be in our Raid Group 2 and he didn't open the panda boxes first.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
the cast time of greater healing wave is actually faster then healing surge.

I have a metric ton of haste and tidal waves GHW casts at 1.2 sec. HS is at .9 sec which is under the gcd cap. Not sure how ghw can be faster than hs.

Either way, healing surge has its place.
Edited by Harpoa on 11/25/2013 5:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
The way that I heal and have my stats set up, especially with stacking haste, the cast time of greater healing wave is actually faster then healing surge.

That is actually not possible unless your haste draws close to the 1 second gcd on BOTH GHW and HS. At that point an argument can be made that due to the fact that you cant get below the 1 second gcd HS and GHW take the same time to cast. (which isnt possible for any gear level at the moment to my knowledge).

As for the rest of the build, I think I understand what you mean from your post now. However in order to clarify maybe you can answer a few questions:

Talents and glyphs
#1 Why do you choose to have Glyph of Fire Elemental?
#2 Why do you choose to have Astral Shift over SBT or NG for tier 1 talents
#3 Why do you choose to have Rushing Streams vs AG (as blanketing might be argued to have higher HPS than rushing streams with AG when you need it) [also its clear conductivity would be a mute point as you dont cast that many hard heals with your build
#4 Why use Call of the Elements vs Totemic Persistence.

Spells and CD's
#1 How does Unleash Elements get used in your "rotation"?
#2 How do you use Healing Stream/Healing tide (couple it with other cds? use them solo etc)?
#3 How do you use healing rain as it is arguably bread and butter for most shaman healers who go haste builds?
#4 How do you make use of Primal Elementalist?

Other randoms
How do you deal with the fact that Haste vastly reduces the sustainability of your mana pool (Ex: if people start taking more damage than your riptides can heal and you run out of cd's which can happen as a shaman but not for more than 30 seconds mostly if you play cd's properly)?

And lastly more of a refute than a question but shamans have a built in system of efficiency that counters your build in that their base mastery is very high due to automatically giving the mastery buff and that their mastery VASTLY improves their single target burst heals on low health targets effectively improving the spell to points far beyond even pally single target burst healing.

Below shows that at the relative values of health 100 mastery provides roughly .85% more healing than 100 haste at 20% hp and any target at 50% hp it will provide roughly .07% less (so approximately the same). Essentially saying that unless no one in the raid falls below 80% hp mastery is superior to haste to a certain point (taken with a grain of salt due to spell efficiency etc). The bigger point is that Mastery will not eat through mana as it makes your spells hit harder without having to cast as many. So you can reforge spirit into other secondary stats without going oom.

Value % | Stat Rating | Increased Healing Percentage
    80% HP | 100 Mastery | 0.091%
    50% HP | 100 Mastery | 0.2%
    20% HP | 100 Mastery | 0.286%
    13.35% | 100 Haste | 0.207%
    20% Crit| 100 Crit | 0.202%(Direct Heals)
    20% Crit | 100 Crit | 0.139%(AoE Heals)

*Source: Elitist Jerks Resto Shaman guide 5.4 "It's Raining heals"
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/25/2013 01:55 AMPosted by Riaka
Depending on your gear, it doesn't matter if you are in raid finder, flex, regular or heroic. The difficulty is the same.

:\
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
11/25/2013 06:07 AMPosted by Tsilyi
Depending on your gear, it doesn't matter if you are in raid finder, flex, regular or heroic. The difficulty is the same.

:\

I actually LoL'ed
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I actually LoL'ed

Maybe I should have been more clear. The intent wasn't humorous. It was sadness. It's not a claim that is grounded in any basis of fact. :(
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
zZq
The way that I heal and have my stats set up, especially with stacking haste, the cast time of greater healing wave is actually faster then healing surge

That's a flat out lie. Healing surge will always have a faster cast time.
1 second healing surges can be pretty amazing.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
8/10, I'm suprised how many people thought you were being serious.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
i'm willing to bet she's serious
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

GHW will never be faster than Healing Surge, even with Tidal Waves up. I sit at 50% Haste buffed which gives me 1 second HS and around 1.3 second TW-GHW casts. As Harpoa mentioned, HS has its place in our toolkit. In the long run, it tends to be better than GHW due to the Crit it gets from Tidal Waves, while not being that bad in HPM due to Resurgence. It should not be the only single-target spell you cast, but it is silly to say that HS has no place in our toolkit.

Riptide is just one of the spells that a shaman has as a HoT. It also takes very little mana. It is best to use all of your HoTs together that affect the entire raid rather then 1 spell that takes the same amount of mana, or in healing surges case, twice the amount of mana for just one person.

As for direct casts, they are substantially weaker then any other healing classes. So it is best to be smart and conserve your mana and try not to cast direct heals unnecessarily.

While true that our single-target heals tend to be the weakest baseline as they are 'taxed' by our Mastery and Earth Shield, we still get some of the biggest ST casts during emergencies due to our Mastery. Being able to HS crit a DPS for 80% of his health when he's below 15% HP is nothing to scoff at. Healing Rain and HST can cope with much of the damage in some encounters, but it is always necessary to be ready to ST-bomb people when it is required and not just expect HoTs to keep people alive. A HoT does squat to save someone at 30% HP if he's about to get hit for 50% of his HP from a single mechanic.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Healing surge is amazing. Considering mana is not an issue, healing surge usually is my 3rd or 4th heal on almost every single heroic fight this tier. Fast, crits very often with tidal waves (or even w/o has no setup like GHW), and at 50% haste is a 1 second cast time.

And you can usually get 2 off with each meta gem proc along with a nova totem. Its just too valuable to pass up on many of these fights.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I started this thread to explain, in my opinion, the best way to heal with as little effort and mana consumption as possible. If any of you actually raided with me, you would see that the way that I heal my 10 man raid or at least 10 man flex, is always substantial and accurate.

For those that say, I found this humurous, or have an argument with the way that I have described how to heal, please feel free to post on another forum. If you have a way to improve the way to heal that is described on this forum, please feel free to post, because as you see the title of this forum is not come and argue, it is

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
For one thing, not using Healing Surge at all is poor play. Yes, you shouldn't need to cast it very much, but you absolutely can and should use it on targets that dip to low health when standard AoE healing may not be enough to heal them fast enough to prevent them from dying. The reason your "healing rotation" makes it unnecessary to use single target heals is because you overgear the content that you are doing. You would not get away with this in heroics.

When you factor in the +30% crit from Tidal Waves, Healing Surge actually heals for more per cast than GHW. It's higher HPS, higher healing per cast and a faster cast time, at the expense of slightly less mana efficiency. At 520+ ilvl, that slight efficiency decrease isn't even a big deal (unless you are spamming it - which you shouldn't be). I rarely use GHW, because there just isn't a good reason to use it over HS 95% of the time.

Also, planning to use MTT at a specific time is dumb. You want to use it when your mana levels drop to the point that you won't waste any of the regen and then pretty much on CD after that. Generally, about 85% mana is when you want to drop it. Sometimes that happens after the first HST cycle (on a very front loaded fight - like H Garrosh). Other times, it's a waste to use it in the first 2 minutes of the fight because there is so little need to burn mana (ex. H Blackfuse). You can't just blindly use it in the same sequence every time.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Priest
I started this thread to explain, in my opinion, the best way to heal with as little effort and mana consumption as possible. If any of you actually raided with me, you would see that the way that I heal my 10 man raid or at least 10 man flex, is always substantial and accurate.

There is no always substantial and accurate way to heal. There is always a optimal way to heal according to your gear (things like can you make required breakpoints do you have the LMG and cloak) but unless we are Method Midwinter or Blood Legion shamans, we are never going to be the most optimal in healing.

The people in here are trying to correct very wrong information that you are posting and saying that it can apply to any level of raiding. It may work for flex, and pretty much showing up with a pulse will work in lfr, but what you have posted will not work in heroics and people have said multiple times why.

For those that say, I found this humurous, or have an argument with the way that I have described how to heal, please feel free to post on another forum. If you have a way to improve the way to heal that is described on this forum, please feel free to post, because as you see the title of this forum is not come and argue, it is

You made the post with wrong information, and expect people to not come in here and try and correct it? People come in here so others don't get misinformed. Feel free to edit your topic or title to say for flex lfr and hey you can probably even heal normals with your playstyle, but it will not fly in heroics unless you are being severely carried, period.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]