I am absolutely BEGGING for an ability squish

(Locked)

100 Blood Elf Death Knight
WOW is going the way of Diablo folks.

Coming to a console near you.

Anyone taking wagers?

You're crazy if you believe this. Compare 6 buttons to literally dozens in some cases and then get back to me.
90 Draenei Shaman
I used to think that they could cut out some abilities that I don't have a use for, but then I realized the abilities I don't have a use for already are not on my hotbar. It wouldn't actually change anything for me if they removed Primal Strike from the game. They could have already removed it and I would not have noticed.

As mentioned, the last time when it came time to cut down the abilities a bit a lot of flavour abilities saw the chopping block which I am not really a fan of. They may not see regular use in combat, but being able to sacrifice myself to shield another was one of the things that made me feel like I was a Paladin, even if one of its primary uses was dodging repair bills.
90 Human Rogue
The last time this kind of ability trimming occurred, a lot of things we players took for fun and playing about wound up biting the bullet because they were seen as "unnecessary" (i.e. Hunter's Eyes of the Beast).

Personally I'm a fan of moving 'flavor abilities' into minor glyphs. Removes bloat, retains flavor. Everybody wins.
100 Orc Warlock
The arms race. Players get new things every expansion. Bosses do more extravagant things to adjust to player new toys. Some classes respond better for new encounter mechanics, other classes get new toys to keep up.

Repeat.
Edited by Uzzudan on 11/25/2013 1:20 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
Do the big, bad numbers scare the wittle Shaman?

Look again, the squish was alive and well on the WoD demo.

Reading what someone actually wrote is important. Not item lvl squish, ABILITY squish.

There is a difference.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Let's see I have:

A normal heal
A quick heal
A big heal
An instant heal that generates a secondary resource
A heal based upon that secondary resource
An AoE heal based upon that secondary resource
An AoE heal that generates the secondary resource
A giant AoE heal hammer OR a beam of light that must shoot the boss to do the most healing
The "Oh crap tank is dying" mega heal that you can use 1 time

And that's just the heals.

And you're point? Giving us the ability to make decisions and be diverse is a huge benefit. The only time anyone should complain is when they give you an ability you already have, does the same thing and has the same cost (which never happens).
90 Tauren Paladin
I think there is a huge difference between what I call constant useful and situational useful abilities. All of my toons, regardless of class, have a similar structure in keybinds. Keyboard numbers 1-7 are all attacks or heals based on the class and spec. NumPad 1-9 are my offensive or defensive CDs, trinkets, engineering gadgets, and/or off spec abilities. Those spots are where my constant useful abilities go. They never move. But then there are the situationals.

Keyboard numbers 8, 9, 0, "-" and "=" vary based on specific components of the fight. Sometimes Devo Aura is completely unnecessary. Sometimes I don't have to use a taunt. Sometimes AoE is a waste of a button. So I swap in abilities to suit the fight. I imagine a lot of players do this, and so I think it's going more than a little bit overboard to think about removing abilities for the sake of keybinds. I don't think we need to free up keybind space. I can't think of a single fight in Cata or MoP that requires that I use more than 21 abilities from any class or spec, including my hunter, who I feel has one of the more complicated rotations atm.

Please reconsider the things you're reconsidering, Lore!
Edited by Vîrtuoso on 11/25/2013 1:25 PM PST
90 Worgen Druid
We do feel that, at least for some classes, there are a few too many buttons to keep on your action bars. It's an issue we'd ultimately like to solve, but something we have to be very, very careful with.

It's easy to look at your bar, go "LOOKIT ALL DEM BUTTONS", and decide that some of them need to go. In fact, we agree. It's much more difficult -- even dangerous -- to decide exactly which abilities to get rid of. Generally speaking, if you have an ability keybound, it's probably at least fairly important to your class. Getting rid of abilities you don't have bound doesn't really fix anything, so that means that, in most cases, we're talking about cutting the important ones.

That's not to say it can't (or won't) be done, but it does mean it's a fairly large task. Depending on the ability, there could be a lot of rebalancing or restructuring needed to make sure the class is still functional and fun to play. Again, it's something we'd like to do, it's just a very involved process.

Getting rid of half the CC abilities would be a good start.

I have Entangling Roots and Mass Entanglement talent. Make it a choice, you want Roots, take Mass Entanglement.

Same can be said for Maim and Cyclone (I know Boomkins and Resto will hate it PvP wise). But again Mighty Bash if you want a Stun (I know Cyclone is more than a stun!).

With the changes to raid sizes announced for WoD this will have minimal effect on raids and serve the dual purpose of reducing the CC complaints in PvP.

That's not to say it can't (or won't) be done, but it does mean it's a fairly large task. Depending on the ability, there could be a lot of rebalancing or restructuring needed to make sure the class is still functional and fun to play. Again, it's something we'd like to do, it's just a very involved process.

Again using PvP as a bench mark, how fun is it when over half the time you don't have full control, if any, over your character? Not very and the numerous threads prove this!

Start with CC abilities and go from there.
100 Night Elf Druid
We do feel that, at least for some classes, there are a few too many buttons to keep on your action bars. It's an issue we'd ultimately like to solve, but something we have to be very, very careful with.

Start out by deleting Savage roar from feral druids and Inquisition from Retribution Paladins and integrating those two buffs into the specs. They're a nice waste of button space.
Edited by Nightsbane on 11/25/2013 1:28 PM PST
90 Human Warrior
11/25/2013 01:09 PMPosted by Morrice
Hunter volley and eyes of the beast would like a word with you.
I think Lore, and the OP, was more referring to the important stuff considered useful and/or necessary to play a class, not just how many tiles their are in our spellbooks.

Ya know, stuff you keybind as opposed to stuff you can just tuck in the corner because you don't need to whip it out with precise timing.

Volley was a huge hunter AoE tool that disappeared for no reason what so ever.

Eyes of the beast wasn't really that useful but was a fun tool hunters got to use which made playing the class a bit more entertaining.

Blizz, make it right and during WoD reinstall it and no hard feelings.
1 Blood Elf Mage
My hunter has about 1/2th the spells/keybinds he did at level 70.

They're already removing lots, and lots of spells from the game - the entire video game industry is mostly about dumbing stuff down for the lowest common denominator.
89 Dwarf Shaman

It's easy to look at your bar, go "LOOKIT ALL DEM BUTTONS", and decide that some of them need to go. In fact, we agree. It's much more difficult -- even dangerous -- to decide exactly which abilities to get rid of. Generally speaking, if you have an ability keybound, it's probably at least fairly important to your class. Getting rid of abilities you don't have bound doesn't really fix anything, so that means that, in most cases, we're talking about cutting the important ones.

I'm sorry but this was very frustrating to read.

The ability bloat situation has gotten wildly out of hand. It seems like for ability made passive, two active ones take it's place. I made a thread about this exact same issue a few days ago and didn't get a response, I figured no news was good news, but this just confirmed my fears that pretty much nothing is going to happen regarding this issue in the next expansion.

I'm not saying you need to go the way of other MMOs and have a button bar that can only allow you to maintain 6 abilities so you're having to switch these out more than Link's boots, but really, let's use a LITTLE bit of common sense.
16 Gnome Warlock
11/25/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Lore

Something you didn't really touch on is how some abilities exist as flavour for the class. The last time this kind of ability trimming occurred, a lot of things we players took for fun and playing about wound up biting the bullet because they were seen as "unnecessary" (i.e. Hunter's Eyes of the Beast).

True, and we want to avoid that. As I mentioned above, removing abilities you don't often use doesn't accomplish much. We often talk about this issue in terms of action bar space, but it's really keybind space that's the problem. One could make an argument that, say, Unending Breath could stand to be cut, but that's not something that's going to free up a keybind for the vast majority of Warlocks.

I dusted off my hunter this weekend and tried to play on the Timeless Isle and got immensely frustrated after just 5 minutes. There were so many buttons and abilities between dps shots, control shots, numerous traps and pet abilities on top of it, plus dps cooldowns, defensive cooldowns... I called it quits on that toon as quickly as I intended to start it up again.

Please try to address this sort of thing.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
i personally dont think there are enough. not that i want my action bars to be completely full or anything, but having like 3 other combo point generators that all do different things and etc would be nice. kinda like in diablo 3, being able to play the class in a way i want. but i would imagine giving all the classes a dozen more moves would be a nightmare for the developers.
90 Human Hunter
One thing for hunters I think would be removing Serpent Sting and just caking it in with Cobra Shot and Chimera Shot.

I also think Rapid Fire should be Marksman only.
Each spec should have it's own CD, not multiple.
BM Bestial Wrath.
MM Rapid Fire.
Surv Snake trap that does a lot more damage.
90 Tauren Druid
Again I don’t want things to be less complex……. I’m fine with the “Complexity” my issue is that my input devices are hindering the nature of that complexity….. My issue is that when I think “ok now I want to cast this ability” I feel like I need to think “Ok which keybinding was that?” instead of feeling like my input devices are a capable of handling the commands I want to give them. Lord knows I’ll only need to natures swiftness into a big heal 1/50 fights but boy when I need that I don’t want to blank and wonder what combination of keybindings trigger that since abilities 1-15 are already taking up some of the easier to access buttons. I haven’t even talked about PVP because there are even MORE situational abilities that are needed and the response time required is even more extreme but I think everyone recognizes that. My argument is that things right now aren’t too “Difficult” they’re just obtuse.

The argument that less abilities would dumb the game down is nonsense for anyone that has played WoW pre-cata. There were less abilities in Vanilla than there ever were yet raiding was the most hard core it has ever, or will ever be. If you think having less abilities will lead to a less complex “Dumbed down console game” go dig up an old school raider that ran Naxx 40 or C’Thun and ask them what it was like…….

It is possible to keep the complexity without making my map dozens of abilities that will be needed, but will only be needed in very rare situations. I propose that less keys would allow the game to progress the complexity in more compelling directions.
100 Human Paladin
I use bartender4 and my number pad. My spells I use frequently are on 123456789/*- and i can target a different enemy with +. Any CDs and other less used are activated by holding shift and the usual buttons. There's alot of binding to do but i dont have to stretch my fingers trying to press all of my buttons.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think there should be just enough activated in-combat abilities as you have action-bar button slots on the left side of your screen. No more.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]