WoD gonna see mana starvation again?

90 Troll Druid
With the removal of reforge and the fact spirit is going to be on jewelry, trinkets, gems, enchants are we gonna Cata OOM?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hopefully we will see less of a wild fluctuation in regen throughout the expansion. If they do it right, active regen will be the dominant factor for all classes, with spirit being a supplement.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
If they do it right, active regen will be the dominant factor for all classes

Possibly but i am not sure they like active regen, they are a bit weird on it to say the least. The nerfed TC for shamans into the ground in MoP but then gave Mana Tea to Monks. So i really don't know. For active though they need to rework shaman, paladins, druids, holy priests.

Think it would be more fun if we had crappy regen for an expansion and make things less spammy. But that is just my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The mana conservation meta game is always terrible game play, at least in the way its been implemented.

When gear affects it, it always become trivialized during the course of an expansion.

keeping it as a supplement would either be pointless or make too much of an impact. If there is enough spirit on gear to notice it will eventually become strong enough to defeat the design as gear scales. If it doesn't do that, there really isn't much point to having it on gear other than nostalgia.

They should take spirit/regen off of gear and if they want the mana game to be there, make it class based.
Edited by Somurd on 11/26/2013 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
No idea. Guess we'll find out when it gets closer.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
We don't know because we don't know what kind of changes they're making for healing next expansion. We don't even know if they're making any changes at all. So...looking at this system for the current model, it looks like a train wreck. There's no real way to tell if it will work, though, for a new model, since we don't know what that model is.

Hopefully it's something with more active regen, because I just can't imagine how we'd survive with Spirit only on accessories.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
Probably for the first tier, then blizzard doesn't seem to have a solution to "force" it upon healers due to scaling.

Hopefully it's something with more active regen, because I just can't imagine how we'd survive with Spirit only on accessories.

Easy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Something with perhaps a little more complexity. The system we have in MOP and Cataclysm isn't super bad.

The problem was LMG made a lot of mana issues go away and it allowed for some rather silly things with some classes. While others saw very good scaling.

If the disparity between healers as far as spirit goes is narrowed down considerably then I think that would be great.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Well they have said that they don't want the new Spirit gear design to feel like a healer regen nerf and that they want regen to be balanced in such a way that having Spirit on every single piece of available gear would feel like overkill. That seems to indicate that they having full Spirit on all offset pieces will feel like the equivalent of running with say 20,000 Spirit today.

To get there, they just have to employ some or all of these changes.
-Greatly increase the amount of Spirit that is on every piece of gear (probably by a 3:1 or 4:1 margin) - relative to the item squished mana pool/stats of course.
-Greatly increase the relative value of every point of Spirit. I.e. instead of 1 Spirit ~ 0.55 Mp5, maybe it becomes 1 Spirit = 2 Mp5 or something similar.
-Greatly increase the amount of passive regen every one has at level 90/level 100. For example, with no gear/buffs on at all, I have about 6000 combat Mp5, which accounts for a little more than a third of my total base regen. They can just increase how much baseline regen they give everyone to reduce the role/importance of Spirit on gear.
-Increase the strength and the amount of active regen mechanics like Rapture, Resurgence, Mana Tea, etc or increase the strength of major mana regen coolddowns (Divine Plea/Innervate/MTT/Shadowfiend, etc).

If they want to reduce the amount of regen scaling, their best option is probably to just go with having the majority of regen being baked into base mana regen. If base mana regen becomes like 75% of everyone's actual mana regen instead of the ~10-25% that it is currently, they can make it so regen gear scaling is greatly reduced. They can also balance regen across classes a lot easier, by just tweaking that base regen number.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think they gave up on the early Cata model of healing in general. They haven't gone back to it since and I'm pretty sure that's because very few people liked it despite the rose-colored glasses of some at the time insisting how great it would be for everyone to either stand around while you drank back up or run off and kill themselves if they didn't.

What they actually have in mind for WoD specifically remains to be seen. They say a lot of things about regen from time to time that don't actually happen, but they've been pretty conservative in their statements so far really, with no specifics given.
Edited by Thaimaishu on 11/26/2013 4:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Hopefully it's something with more active regen

If Active Regen ever shows up and is anything like Telluric Currents in Dragon Soul, I'll hate everything and everyone. Again.
Edited by Korghal on 11/26/2013 8:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Blizzard has to do something. One thing they are not is stupid. They can't remove spirit from main pieces of gear and NOT change how regen works. I'm sure we'll hear more about this as time passes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's far too early to hypothesize how mana regeneration will play out in the upcoming expansion. If every past expansion before this one has been any notification, however, then I'm willing to bet that mana will once again be a pointless commodity by the end tier of WoD.

If Active Regen ever shows up and is anything like Telluric Currents in Dragon Soul, I'll hate everything and everyone. Again.

I'd hate to see DPS-based mana regeneration make a return. I like the idea of active regeneration, but it should be cautiously implemented to only a few specs. Some specs already have their own pseudo-active regeneration models active.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I believe it will be set up in a way that mana becomes more or less equal for all classes as far as spending, and natural regen goes. With Spirit being on minimal pieces, a healer will be able to choose spirit rings or spell power rings depending on how they feel how much mana they're going through. If you're missing one out of 7-8 slots that could have spirit in it, you're not going to suddenly not have enough mana, but if you have none out of 7-8 slots with spirit, you'll probably feel it, a lot more.

Stat scaling aside, if you were to compare it to MoP. You'll have half as much spirit, but twice as much effect from it.
Edited by Elv on 11/26/2013 8:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Easy.

Uh huh. For you. As usual. *pats*
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Think it would be more fun if we had crappy regen for an expansion and make things less spammy. But that is just my opinion.

What do you mean by "less spammy"? Do you mean poor mana regen would lead to less casts?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Poor regen won't likely lead to less casts, it will just lead to a greater emphasis on HPM over raw HPS, more use of the Heal/Healing Wave/Holy Light type spell, etc. Any model where you have to sit around not casting 50% of the time because mana is so tight isn't going to be fun; it's going to feel slow and boring, and it isn't gameplay that I can see the majority of people being happy with.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Any model where you have to sit around not casting 50% of the time because mana is so tight isn't going to be fun; it's going to feel slow and boring

I agree, and think sitting around doing nothing is god awful.

But I was asking Harpoa what he meant, because he said "crappy regen" would make healing "less spammy", and I'm not sure what that means really.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think they gave up on the early Cata model of healing in general. They haven't gone back to it since and I'm pretty sure that's because very few people liked it despite the rose-colored glasses of some at the time insisting how great it would be for everyone to either stand around while you drank back up or run off and kill themselves if they didn't.

What they actually have in mind for WoD specifically remains to be seen. They say a lot of things about regen from time to time that don't actually happen, but they've been pretty conservative in their statements so far really, with no specifics given.

Those were some good times. I wouldn't mind something similar again. Perhaps without pug groups being mind numbingly enraging though. The healing idea was good but, what made it harsh was also requiring tanks and dps to not be retarded either. 2 hour grim batol runs </3.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I actually really liked the healing model at the beginning of cataclysm. I would not mind at all if they brought back triage style healing where spell and target selection were valued over spamming your highest throughput abilities.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]